Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_hcwB8i64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Archenteron posted:

Hey guys, it's the rear end in a top hat thaumaturgist. Recently on a supply run, a peddler sold me an enchanted tome that apparently tutors its owner in the arcane art of Truespeaking.
Yeah, that's a classic Cursed Item scheme if I ever heard it. Use Farsight or AllSeeingGaze to see if there's any connection to the peddler. Could be in the book's thrall or could be using it as a way to ensnare victims.

Barring that, there's an old story about books like that taking your True name and subverting it so that you lose all will and eventually get absorbed by the book, adding to its pages of knowledge.

I guess there are worse ways to go, is what I'm sayin.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

so i hate to be this guy, but i want to revisit the whole 'cloak' thing.

i understand the need to have freedom of motion to make mystical gestures and draw sigils in the aether or whatever, but i'd really feel more comfortable in a track suit.
Don't remind me of that mid-000s "utilicloak" thing.

Track suits are fine if you want to look like some chav-russian alchemist meeting up with the Aermenian Spellsmithys to smoke in the parking lot of a Starbucks.

Athleisure wear has made a lot of strides in being able to incorporate durable, comfortable materials in addition to sigils and wards so I'd start there.

Or, you know, the 1990s classic Windbreaker and SpellPoucche look is good too.

Badactura posted:

vleh, it is I, a vampire! I learned necromancy as an elective back in vampire college, are screaming skulls still the hot new thing to summon? I don't want to embarrass myself summoning unfashionable undead.
Screaming skulls are a classic, but there's been a lot of movement on "designer" glams accompanying them. poo poo like abyssal light, or greenglow, added to the result so that the skull gets some pop.
I think the new thing is Unfathomable Knowledge instead of screaming -- like a skull that speaks in the voice of a beloved and only repeats their failures, or a skull that psyonically reveals the innermost fears of the target. But poo poo, with everything going on lately it's easier just to conjure a newsfeed auditory curse.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 31, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waterbed Wendy posted:

can you bring my dignity back to life
Sometimes... sometimes dead is bettah . Ayup.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Colonel Cancer posted:

Awizardspreads.pdf!? What manner of foul sorcery is this :goatsecx:
What is that man doing to his abyssal portal of torment :gonk:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sweet geek swag posted:

How does this help you? Hmmm, well, I guess what you could take from it is that you should always kill paladins.
APAB

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Who What Now posted:

Defund the Church of Pelor
Pellars. Now there's a bunch.

I don't get the druid mad-on, but I can deffo see the pellar hate.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's nothing worse than some Ka'rren with rudimentary knowledge of potioncraft.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol did you scry the guy who tried to bust in a room protected by Greater Wards Against Malevolence? The runestone in his pocket activated and he summoned a lightning Elemental on his balls.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I Heff had much success with tincture of mushroom blessed with Dark Plane DeParasitism and Elemental Mercury am very healthy now, natural spiritual immunity against all wards and dark arts

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

secular woods sex posted:

You’re right, evil is the way to go.

Gonna get me a matched pair of Lich McWandells.
Check the enchantment date on those. I heard they got subsumed by a twilight realm and some of the latest offerings don't live up to the brand.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I don't mean to quibble but everyone's over the moon over this Elder Ring game. Just.... ok, aside from the really overdone idea of :ghost: imbuing a ring with forbidden energies :spooky:, did anyone actually, like, bother to consult the various schools of magic that are supposed to be depicted. I mean, some common sense and rigor is too much to expect out of these things?

Someone showed me ashen swords of the spectral veil being :lolplant:cast by waving a stick:lolplant:. Like what the undying gently caress man?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This is exactly why you need a wall of hellfire to cleanse the area around your casting circle.

People just blunder in mass broadcasting Astral projections and this is what they get.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Could you perhaps localize it in some way? Take out all the old growth? Cause Kudzu to wither and die?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It seems like this generation is more about Dark Arts as a corruption of things you hold dear than, say, generic or indiscriminate acts of chaos. They're more about tearing down systems of empowerment than, say, randomly soul-binding a village to sit still in the town square and watch as they slowly die of hunger.

In the sense that you expect you apprentice to overthrow you, they reject that as a starting point. They're instead ignoring that to show you how little they care for your power in the face of their own ambitions.

It may not be how we did things. But I'm interested to see where it goes.

We all know the pendulum swings every half eon or so. Just wait it out a few hundred years and we'll be back to the ol' double crossing toadies thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

naem posted:

I’m just trying to make some money off of skeletons

I mean I’ve got so many of them
Have you considered the lucrative market of Dungeon Staging?

They're always in need of a few good femur or skeleton guards.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sir, you don't have a skeleton problem. You have an entrepreneurship problem. Divide the skeleton crew into 3 groups: one for decor, one for security, and the third is a roving design crew that fixes up dilapidated dungeons for other mages and liches.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I don't know about you but the cost of transmuting un- life (even skeletony life) is too rich for my blood.

Just imagine if you were to gently caress it up and wind up with cursed gold. What a loving mess.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If it was a child, then you kissed an essential opportunity to educate.

An adult? I congratulate you on your newly collected thrall/soul sacrifice!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is anyone else concerned about this ScryGPT poo poo?

I've got a fairly diverse set of skills that have weathered a bunch of persecutions, witch-hunts, and industry changes. But it's something else to just watch Decoctions, spells and wards appear on a Tome with just basic instructions.

They're not half bad, either.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Plus there's a bunch of potential for timevortices of your wards are messed up. Don't want to wake up with half a town super slow while the other crumbles to ash.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Could be a Grand Lich.
But is it possible the creature faked their death with a Null Life spell? Wouldn't be the first time a trickster decided to fleece a few rubes without the proper scryers in town to set them right.

Though.... the bit about the adherents and relm-jumping and partaking of the flesh makes me think it could be a Higher Order, possibly Eldrich or Apex Dimensional, Belief Parasite. Those annoying fucks are always trying to brain-jack the subconscious essences of idiots.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

I
Wait
What? I've not ever heard of such unorthodox rituals...
Dude, this one time some high druids and a flunkee biomorph got hosed up on voidshrooms and merged a duck and some kind of badger-shrew into a supremely hosed up chimera.

Naturally I suggested they drop it off on Australia in one of the backwater ordinal planes. We should really check out what became of those poor animals some day.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Temporal arts will put you a half-step out of sync and still let you keep your poo poo. But make sure you wards aren't disturbed because gently caress if endless seconds slamming into your relics doesn't suck balls.

Also no use using soul-marring spells or incantations as realtors are devoid of such niceties.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Turpitude posted:

a hag told me it was some kind of "prophecy of the seven scions" but this is the first i am hearing of it have any of you guys heard of this poo poo?
I haven't heard of that prophecy, but ever since some.rear end in a top hat tore a chunk out of a local Dimensional lodestone I've seen a bunch of middling assholes coming up with just insanely overpowered poo poo like they're on some grand tour.
"Oh I was such a loser in my previous life but now I have the ability to ReDeath!", "oh no I'm so muscled up by even Magmawyrms can't stand my flexing".

Though I guess I've spent a good chunk of time watching the fog of ages show me how loving lame their previous lives were. Some dude fell over and died because he was reading too much.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey cmon now, I may be someone who delves into the darkest tomes to spit in the face of god and wrest cthonic knowledge from between the worlds, but i'm not a landlord! Or anti-union!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

alexandriao posted:

Did I do something wrong? How deep is the poo poo that I am in??
Classic hazing.

Your mentor probably cast an enchantment on their tomes to keep you from scrying the correct arcana. You think you're casting a spell to override agency but you're actually washing their socks or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dollars to donuts your golem was one of the least repulsive bodies there.

So much inspiration, though..

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just LOL if your tower, dungeon, or other place of business doesn't stand in unincorporated lands, barren, noxious or otherwise.

Like my man the benefits of a dirt road leading to your keep aren't worth the headache.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Set up a caste system for your followers where the wretched and ugly become beautiful demigods in the next life if they work sufficiently hard in your name on your projects (but stay away).

Make it also so they need to select their most attractive as GodSpeakers so that they are sent directly to a town/province/whatever of your choosing.

That won't solve your problem of walking down through market and having every two bit moron waiting to slurp your toes, but it will keep them from.trying to get at your keep.

Bingobongo simple

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well, if you do that there needs to be a counter-contest (like a Sow/Harvest dynamic) where the ugliest uggerson is revered and, iono, given an important post to manage or a public works program to oversee. Because such was their capacity for kindness and humility and service, that they were graced with a countenance of equal humility.

Or whatever. You don't want the hunchback slothpeople to get antsy and like smother the prettyfolk prematurely. If they're good at the job then they get to retire in relative comfort. If they gently caress and and die, then they received their reward in the next life or whathaveyou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A cop? Too dark for the dark wizard thread. We have standards, for gently caress's sake