Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I will do so. Also, no episode today, due to tech issues, but it won't be long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Yeah, Discord will randomly stop picking up on my Mic, for some reason, then start picking up on it again without me having changed anything. I'm gonna work on getting it resolved, but for now, I'm not certain when the new episode will be. I'll edit this post as more news becomes available.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Awesome! We figured it out! Look forward to Ninja Gaiden III soon!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Ninja Gaiden 3... My favorite in the trilogy!

Ninja Gaiden 3 NES: No Death Walkthrough for Beginners (Act 1-3)

CHANGES FROM THE JAPANESE VERSION:

1) Limited continues. Each continue gives you the standard three lives, meaning you have effectively 15 lives to finish the entire game.

2) Most enemies do increased damage, oftentimes going from doing just 1 Damage in the Japanese version, to doing 3 Damage in our version. In fact, it's more common for an enemy to do 3 Damage than it is for them to do 2. Follow this link to see all the changes so far...

Enemy Buffs

3) Our version is far less generous with the power-ups. The Japanese had the Invincible Firewheel near the start of each and every Act (apart from Act 2), but our version took a good chunk of those out. It also did the same to a lot of other items, like Extra Lives, Potions, Dragon Spirit Swords, and Orange Ninpo. Follow this link to see all the changes so far...

Power-Up Changes

CHANGES FROM NINJA GAIDEN 1 & 2:

1) Enemies don't respawn! Yay!

2) No Ninja Friends! Boo!

3) You can jump *forward* off walls by climbing high enough, then holding the relevant direction while pressing jump.

4) Ryu can cling to the undersides of pipes just by jumping into them, and he can also jump *down* them by holding Down before jumping. If you're don't want to grab onto the underside, hold Down as you near it. Ryu will float back down.

5) A new Sub-Weapon was introduced; The "Vacuum Wave Art". Two scythes go up from, and down from, Ryu, and alternate sides for a bit. Not generally too useful, but helpful for a few spots in 5-1, and borderline mandatory for the Act 6 boss.

TRICKS THAT STILL WORK:

Pause Buffering: This is where you hit Pause to… well, pause the game. The enemies may not hit hard, but they’re fast, and there’s a lot of them. Worst of all, the game will spam them near bottomless chasms, so beginners will need this trick (experts will have already memorized things).

Sword Canceling: This works differently than it did in Ninja Gaiden 1. First of all, you can also apply this trick with Sub-Weapons. Secondly, the method is different; Just jump into the air, hold up, and alternate between A & B as you do so. Note that the sword/sub-weapon has to be out for ~6 frames before you cancel them with B. Otherwise, they won't do damage.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 17, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Heyo, not an update per-say, but I found some really interesting tidbits, including a really hilarious glitch in Act 2. I'm going to be reuploading the first episode to showcase said glitch, add some additional info, and also add in the missing Act 2 speedrun.

Also, it looks like the localizers changed the items in each stage as well. Invincibility Firewheels, Dragon Spirit Swords, Orange Ninpō, ... All of these were significantly more common in the Japanese version than they are in the version we got. Seriously, take a look!

ACT 1-1C (Japanese): 1st Orange Ninpō & Dragon Spirit Sword to be removed

ACT 1-1C (US):

ACT 2-1A (Japanese): 2nd Orange Ninpō to be removed

ACT 2-1A (US):

ACT 2-2C (Japanese): 1st Potion to be removed; 3rd Orange Ninpō to be removed

ACT 2-2C (US):

ACT 2-2D (Japanese): 2nd Dragon Spirit Sword to be removed; 4th Orange Ninpō to be removed

ACT 2-2D (US):

ACT 3-1A (Japanese): 1st Invincible Firewheel to be removed; 3rd Dragon Spirit Sword to be removed; 5th Orange Ninpō to be removed

ACT 3-1A (US):

ACT 3-2C (Japanese): 6th Orange Ninpō to be removed

ACT 3-2C (US):

ACT 3-2D (Japanese): 1st Extra Life to be removed; 7th Orange Ninpō to be removed

ACT 3-2D (US):

So the "super" items removed so far are, in total...

ACTS 1-3:
1 Extra Life
1 Potion
1 Invincible Firewheel
3 Dragon Spirit Swords
7 Orange Ninpōs

I think they were pretty generous with the Ninpō, even in the American version. The rest of the changes are pretty far-reaching, however! I like it better this way, personally, but, I'm fairly attracted to hard games.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 13, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Here it is!

quote:

EPILEPSY WARNING: 13:28 to 13:41, as well as everything after 16:47, contain violently flashing lights. Be careful about watching this episode, if you struggle with seizures.

Ninja Gaiden 3 NES: No Death Walkthrough for Beginners (Acts 4-5)

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 21, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God those stage colours are garish

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Seraphic Neoman posted:

God those stage colours are garish

Sure. On the bright side, I can at least see my enemies, this time!

Anyway, y'all ready for a super-dimensional time? I know I am :) !

quote:

EPILEPSY WARNING: 5:48 to 6:10, as well as 10:01 to 11:04, contain violently flashing lights. Be careful if you struggle with seizures.

Ninja Gaiden 3 NES: No Death Walkthrough for Beginners (Acts 6-7)

NOTE: The bit at the very end was supposed to be me collecting the two extra Ninja Scrolls you can get from losing to Clancy's 2nd & 3rd forms... But I accidentally showed myself getting the 1st Ninja Scroll twice, instead. Still, you get the idea!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 21, 2020

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

My best time in Ninja Gaiden 1 was always around 17 minutes. I'd love to push that down eventually now that there are so many tutorial and strat help guides that have been posted since I used to play it.

The title of this thread also makes me think back to how much of a noob I though the AVGN was for not just getting spinslash after he dies to Jaquio and going back... what a noob!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Danzel Glovington posted:

My best time in Ninja Gaiden 1 was always around 17 minutes. I'd love to push that down eventually now that there are so many tutorial and strat help guides that have been posted since I used to play it.

The title of this thread also makes me think back to how much of a noob I though the AVGN was for not just getting spinslash after he dies to Jaquio and going back... what a noob!

I thought the same! It was always odd to me how AVGN could power through some hard games (like Wizard of Oz), but not others. Perhaps Mike Matei helped him with a few?

EDIT: Anyway, I did publish the episode, but the sound was violently out of sync. Sorry! Should've checked, first :( ...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 26, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

And there we go! The entire NES trilogy has been completed!

Ninja Gaiden 3 NES: No Death Walkthrough for Beginners (Final Boss: Clancy & Ending)

Don't worry, the "voice acting" won't usually be a thing from now on. I'm basically just throwing shade at the dialogue :mmmhmm:

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 26, 2020

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I appreciate you taking the time to actually play through and analyze these games. I played the first one as a kid and it was one of my favorite games. I never got a copy of the of the other 2 until I was able to run emulators on my own computer in the late 90s/early 2000s. Other than the games made by, I think, the "Devil May Cry" people (I think they now go by "Team Ninja"), I'd never heard anything about these games later on in life. I almost feared they were lost to obscurity.

I don't know of any other NES era games that allowed you to climb walls except maybe later Megaman games. I never played any "Visual Novel"-type games and in 1989 I don't know of any that were popular on the NES in the US. Far Cry: Blood Dragon uses a similar style that I thought was an homage to these games.

As to the dialogue, I wonder if the weirdness of the dialogue was not just due to translation issues, but also due to memory limits in the NES cartridge, but I will probably never know. I thought it was fairly cohesive and paced well, even at the very end. If it had more time. memory, resources, or whatever it needed to improve the dialogue, I think it would've reflected Japanese animes at the time which were more geared towards more adult markets (more action-oriented stuff like Akira). Actually I feel it already does.

As to the games themselves, they were always tough, but they trained a kind of muscle-memory in me. I can "feel" the timing of the boomerang eagles on those ledges and my fingers would cramp as I'd watch you get hit.

Anyway, again, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

mastersord posted:

I appreciate you taking the time to actually play through and analyze these games. I played the first one as a kid and it was one of my favorite games. I never got a copy of the of the other 2 until I was able to run emulators on my own computer in the late 90s/early 2000s. Other than the games made by, I think, the "Devil May Cry" people (I think they now go by "Team Ninja"), I'd never heard anything about these games later on in life. I almost feared they were lost to obscurity.

Same here! I played Ninja Gaiden 1 way back in the day on emulator, but never really got around to the other two till very recently. A source of bias in my rankings, in retrospect...

mastersord posted:

I don't know of any other NES era games that allowed you to climb walls except maybe later Megaman games. I never played any "Visual Novel"-type games and in 1989 I don't know of any that were popular on the NES in the US. Far Cry: Blood Dragon uses a similar style that I thought was an homage to these games.

Street Fighter 2010's the only other one I know of... Huh. That could be another LP, perhaps?

mastersord posted:

As to the dialogue, I wonder if the weirdness of the dialogue was not just due to translation issues, but also due to memory limits in the NES cartridge, but I will probably never know. I thought it was fairly cohesive and paced well, even at the very end.

I feel like Ninja Gaiden #2 was the best, as far as the dialogue went. It had the most amount of lines that stuck out to me, especially from Ashtar. His dialogue is fairly stylized ("Back off, you bothersome swine", "You can never touch me with a sword so filled with hatred", as well as basically every time he's conducting rituals).

I also like Ryu's line to the Jaquio, before their first fight ("Are you finished? I've had enough of your speeches. And I've had enough of YOU!")

mastersord posted:

As to the games themselves, they were always tough, but they trained a kind of muscle-memory in me. I can "feel" the timing of the boomerang eagles on those ledges and my fingers would cramp as I'd watch you get hit.

Anyway, again, thank you!

My pleasure, my man! And if you have any other games from the past you'd like me to visit (tough platformers especially), I'll be happy to consider them, too!