Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
An old classic from my childhood! At my peak I could get to 6-3 but I never fully beat it until I was older and had an emulator.

Enemies spawn off-screen based on your camera position. They can also de-spawn if they go off-screen. The spawn points are short and precise, so if your camera is at just the right position, an enemy can respawn in an endless loop. When dealing with birds or other pests, you should NEVER move back to get away. The bird will just come back and you'll have to do it again. Jump, duck, or go forward, but never go back. This only applies when the camera is moving with you. I also can't remember if it always worked, but when a bird is about to swoop in, stand while facing it and duck-slash right before it hits. It doesn't have to be frame perfect, but it's a good skill to learn, especially with these games (you should do the other 2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
5-3: Using the same technique you showed in 6-3, you can climb up and down the the ladder and farm the 1-up on that stage. It's the only farm-able 1-up in the game that i know of. I learned this trick in one of those late 80s cheats and tricks books for Nintendo back in 3rd grade. Those were the days..

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
So you aren't gonna do 2 and 3? What a pitty.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Fionordequester posted:

Aw, where'd you get that? I was absolutely going to do them xD!

Great! Can't wait for your next update!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I used to have the strategy guide for Ninja Gaiden 2 from Nintendo Power. It got destroyed because I was a little kid back then and never put things away. Archive.org has a pdf of it and it gives you some extra artwork to go with most of the cutscenes.

..anyway, did you notice how some of the enemies look a bit familiar? Like you fought bigger versions somewhere else before? They actually made mini-versions of most of the Ninja Gaiden 1 bosses. Act 3-2 showcases at least 3 of them.

Act 4-1: Actually, I think that color pallet is the stage gimmick and done intentionally.
Act 4-2: We meet the last NG1 clone: The mini-Kerbeross Clone.

I don't have much else to point out, but look for that guide if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I appreciate you taking the time to actually play through and analyze these games. I played the first one as a kid and it was one of my favorite games. I never got a copy of the of the other 2 until I was able to run emulators on my own computer in the late 90s/early 2000s. Other than the games made by, I think, the "Devil May Cry" people (I think they now go by "Team Ninja"), I'd never heard anything about these games later on in life. I almost feared they were lost to obscurity.

I don't know of any other NES era games that allowed you to climb walls except maybe later Megaman games. I never played any "Visual Novel"-type games and in 1989 I don't know of any that were popular on the NES in the US. Far Cry: Blood Dragon uses a similar style that I thought was an homage to these games.

As to the dialogue, I wonder if the weirdness of the dialogue was not just due to translation issues, but also due to memory limits in the NES cartridge, but I will probably never know. I thought it was fairly cohesive and paced well, even at the very end. If it had more time. memory, resources, or whatever it needed to improve the dialogue, I think it would've reflected Japanese animes at the time which were more geared towards more adult markets (more action-oriented stuff like Akira). Actually I feel it already does.

As to the games themselves, they were always tough, but they trained a kind of muscle-memory in me. I can "feel" the timing of the boomerang eagles on those ledges and my fingers would cramp as I'd watch you get hit.

Anyway, again, thank you!