Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I thought the Bee-Gees were black americans.
Not as much of a false memory since I hardly remember seeing them in my life, only hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Falukorv posted:

Not as much of a false memory since I hardly remember seeing them in my life, only hearing.

They were brothers just not like that

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Falukorv posted:

The UK and Europe didn’t encounter the same kind of disco backlash as the US. The Bee Gees continued to have hits into the 1980s/90s in the UK (as well as hits written for Dionne Warwick and Diana Ross - it always astounds me when people from the US say they’ve never heard of ‘Chain Reaction’). They were also a pretty inescapable presence on chat shows with their slightly dated charm and were an easy target for parody so I guess they never really left the UK’s cultural conscience. They had a hit with CELINE DION in 1998 which briefly bruised the top of the charts. It didn’t do poo poo in the states!

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'
Quote is not edit…

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

knife_of_justice posted:

The UK and Europe didn’t encounter the same kind of disco backlash as the US. The Bee Gees continued to have hits into the 1980s/90s in the UK (as well as hits written for Dionne Warwick and Diana Ross - it always astounds me when people from the US say they’ve never heard of ‘Chain Reaction’). They were also a pretty inescapable presence on chat shows with their slightly dated charm and were an easy target for parody so I guess they never really left the UK’s cultural conscience. They had a hit with CELINE DION in 1998 which briefly bruised the top of the charts. It didn’t do poo poo in the states!

Not their Celine Dion hit, but You Win Again pretty darn good. It's late 1980s without sounding too tied to that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xviuC-0FwQ0

This Is Where I Came In would have done better than 18th in the UK. That said, it was released in 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEOsGpTX4iA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Disco owned. Was it just because it got overplayed that people started to hate it?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The best disco song is I Was Made For Lovin You by KISS

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

Disco owned. Was it just because it got overplayed that people started to hate it?

It was racism

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

And homophobia

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You can see the shift around when Saturday Night Fever came out, going from great music played at black, Hispanic, and gay discos to poo poo music being played at white discos.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYO3KNdT4-w

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The best disco song is I Was Made For Lovin You by KISS

I unironically loved that song when it came out and still do, and I usually hate Kiss. Superman by the Kinks is a good one too.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Everything by the kinks is good you philistine. I'm making up what you said so I can be angry! That's a big part of why the effect is so prevalent on the internet :mad:

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Nov 18, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Grassy Knowles posted:

It was racism
And homophobia
That was an element, sure, but in the monoculture that used to exist it’s infuriating when all you’re getting is one thing due to the hosed-up way that record companies pushed it nonstop. It took me years to be anything but angry at hair metal, as it was inescapable at a formative time and meant great music I loved wasn’t getting exposure or arena tours and I was too young to go to club shows. There’s also a lot of dilution as the good stuff that started the trend got chocked out by derivatives; in my case I loved Van Halen and some other earlier bands but the cavalcade of poo poo was unstoppable.

Goddamnit now I’m getting “Bad Medicine” stuck in my head.

Remulak has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Nov 18, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only cultural artifacts that tend to survive are the best most enduring exemplars of their time so decades later you’re only seeing a relatively few examples that tend to be of a higher caliber than the mountain of crap they were concurrent with. This is especially true prior to the age of mass digital preservation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Remulak posted:

That was an element, sure, but in the monoculture that used to exist it’s infuriating when all you’re getting is one thing due to the hosed-up way that record companies pushed it nonstop. It took me years to be anything but angry at hair metal, as it was inescapable at a formative time and meant great music I loved wasn’t getting exposure or arena tours and I was too young to go to club shows. There’s also a lot of dilution as the good stuff that started the trend got chocked out by derivatives; in my case I loved Van Halen and some other earlier bands but the cavalcade of poo poo was unstoppable.

Goddamnit now I’m getting “Bad Medicine” stuck in my head.

That isn't what caused the higher than usual amount if backlash

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

white people did to disco what we do to every cultural phenomenon we love: we stole it and made it worse and sold it back to the world

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
"the backlash to disco was due to racism and homophobia" was a thing people noted and called out even at the time that the backlash was happening! that doesn't mean that every single person who has ever failed to vibe to a disco song is a racist homophobe, so nobody needs to defend it!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1727023357147926587

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

I think it's about time for Sinbad to actually make a movie where he plays a genie. Call it Shazaam 2.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

knife_of_justice posted:

Quote is not edit…

I think we've all fallen victim to this particular Mandela effect

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Warm Fish Salad posted:

There was a cornucopia in the Fruit of The Loom logo and I will die on this hill.

Yup

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Captain Hygiene posted:

The word "restauranteur" does not actually have an n in it :aaaaa:

Crossposting myself because this is the first time I've had that unsettling effect in a while where I was certain about something completely wrong :tinfoil:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

quote:

[Restaurateur] is also spelled restauranteur (with an n), but this is considered erroneous by some, and the form restaurateur (without the n) is preferred in formal writing, and especially in the United Kingdom.

The form restaurateur (without the n) is the earlier form, borrowed from French, while the form restauranteur (with an n) = restaurant + -eur (“(agent) one who”) is a later formation, from Anglicized forms, and thus seen by some as an etymological error.

However, restauranteur is widely used, and can be found in formal British writing.

Not really a Mandela effect so much as people being bitchy and pedantic about spelling.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Not really a Mandela effect so much as people being bitchy and pedantic about spelling.

Uh, people speaking correctly is not bitchy nor pedantic about anything.

It's about being respectful to those around you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

Uh, people speaking correctly is not bitchy nor pedantic about anything.

It's about being respectful to those around you.

You should use 'neither' there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Tunicate posted:

You should use 'neither' there.

Thank you very much.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't respect anyone stupid enough to be around me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Doctor Bishop posted:

It was more that I saw the accepted correct spelling and feel like I've never seen it before, it was in a crossword puzzle and I had to look it up because I thought they were doing it incorrectly as a pun on "auteur". I must've seen it before at some point, maybe enough people have used the version with an n that I subconsciously added it in every time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Warm Fish Salad posted:

There was a cornucopia in the Fruit of The Loom logo and I will die on this hill.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/19dpz3x/the_fruit_of_the_loom_cornucopia_logo_absolutely/

Well what the Hell do we do now?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Obviously there's multiple timelines

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Doctor Bishop posted:

Just remembered this really odd false memory that I have about this one episode of Shining Time Station (the PBS show that was the original vehicle for Thomas the Tank Engine in the US) where Mr. Conductor's evil twin gets brought to life and goes on a rampage.

Specifically, the false memory is of the scene where he stomps on a box of candies for the lulz while proclaiming "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker."

I remember this clearly because as a wee kid that line confused me and I assumed he meant licorice.

When going back to review that episode decades later thanks to it being up on YouTube, I discovered that he doesn't say that at all during that scene.

Funny thing, Mr. Conductor (and consequently his evil twin) is played by George Carlin, so I suspect that maybe I saw some footage of Carlin's stand-up as a kid and got that memory mixed up with his appearance on Shining Time Station because that phrase absolutely sounds like something he'd say in a non-kid-show context.

I have a really clear memory of an episode of The Raccoons involving a soapbox derby where one of the pigs claims to be dying of cancer in order to gain sympathy so they can win. At the age I watched The Raccoons, I'm not sure how cogent I would have been of the idea of dying of cancer, but I can't find any reference to this episode and also that's a loving heavy topic!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I am genuinely confused why so many of us remember the Fruit of the Loom logo having a cornucopia, specifically exactly like that. Always with the opening facing to the left, and that little curly bit on the end.

I assume the two most likely answers are bootlegs we somehow all saw (even though I wouldn't know from where?) that did have it. Or another company/logo that was very similar that also had it.

I'm not sure where I would have seen a food/produce distribution company's logo, and it's going the "wrong" way, but that is the absolute closest of the other options I've seen.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm a Boston local, see Katsiroubas Bros trucks around all the time, and I've never seen that logo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Doctor Bishop posted:

As it turns out, all French chefs are Ratatouille'd, so they've always been restaurats.

Edit: that's why they invented the hats in the first place.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Jan 23, 2024

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Milo and POTUS posted:

Obviously there's multiple timelines

Well there were, at least some of them are clearly converging now

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

DrBouvenstein posted:

I am genuinely confused why so many of us remember the Fruit of the Loom logo having a cornucopia, specifically exactly like that. Always with the opening facing to the left, and that little curly bit on the end.

I assume the two most likely answers are bootlegs we somehow all saw (even though I wouldn't know from where?) that did have it. Or another company/logo that was very similar that also had it.

I'm not sure where I would have seen a food/produce distribution company's logo, and it's going the "wrong" way, but that is the absolute closest of the other options I've seen.

I'm English and I distinctly remember seeing an advert on Saturday Morning TV when I was around 10 or 11, "Life, Liberty, and Fruit of the Loom" went the jingle.

The Logo appears on screen, and I wonder what the snail shell thing on it was. I had no idea what a Cornucopia was beyond something America did on Christmas.

So it must have existed!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Some people have suggested that there was a Fruit of the Loom knock-off brand that used a cornucopia in its logo, and that was used in a lot of promotional t-shirts and sports team jerseys and therefore would have been seen by a lot of people. I don't know if there's any actual evidence for this.

edit: I remember the opening facing to the right I think

BooDooBoo posted:

I'm English and I distinctly remember seeing an advert on Saturday Morning TV when I was around 10 or 11, "Life, Liberty, and Fruit of the Loom" went the jingle.

The Logo appears on screen, and I wonder what the snail shell thing on it was. I had no idea what a Cornucopia was beyond something America did on Christmas.

So it must have existed!

I don't know what to tell you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucTD4Idbdg

AKA Pseudonym has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Jan 23, 2024

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I wish I had the strength to believe in the mandela effect instead of just thinking about my rotting mush of a brain every time someone points out something that isn't as remembered.

Oh yes, you're right, it was always like that. I guess I do have absolute dogshit between my ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
I remember looking at a fruit of the loom logo after watching Hunger Games like 7 years ago and going 'Oh hey, the cornucopia in the show had a bunch of food like this does. That was why it was called that.' and moved on

Now I'm in a different timeline but everything is the same I guess so w/e