Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Does "news at 11" or "film at 11" count? Because that's a thing that people reference all the time despite not actually being a thing that was ever said.

Well huh.

Here's one:

A few years back there was a movie quote that people were trying to track down. The characters are looking at a weird device and have an exchange like this

The first character asks: "What does it do?"
The second replies: "It doesn’t do anything. That’s the beauty of it.”

Everyone seems sure it came from Willy Wonka.

or Hitchhiker's Guide
or Weird Science
or The Big Lebowski, Real Genius, Back to the Future, Buckaroo Banzai, or hell maybe Gremlins

Eventually two sources are found, an old tv show and a play, neither of which were hugely well known. Which doesn't help explain why everyone (including me) seemed so sure they knew exactly where they'd heard it. Brains really are weird.

Here's an article about it, with a cameo from our very own forums for good measure.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/21/14952294/what-does-it-do-thats-the-beauty-of-it-movie-quote-source

a kitten has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well, I guess there's some overlap with the previous post's video, but drat it I just had this one pop up in my recommendations and I liked it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGgUrj10HdM

I had no idea the term was coined by one woo peddling lady

a kitten has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Sep 4, 2020

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

cult_hero posted:

I was almost certain that it was Bill Paxton who played Cpl. Hicks in Aliens. Turns out is was Michael Biehn....

Hudson, sir... He's Hicks