Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Alright, here's a funny and simple one that I had for a while: Aliens: Resurrection, with the plural because, well, there's more than one alien again.

Came as a real blow when I realized that I had it wrong despite it just being one fricking letter.

Really goes to show just how much your brain doesn't want to let go of certain details because it doesn't like questioning itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Just remembered this really odd false memory that I have about this one episode of Shining Time Station (the PBS show that was the original vehicle for Thomas the Tank Engine in the US) where Mr. Conductor's evil twin gets brought to life and goes on a rampage.

Specifically, the false memory is of the scene where he stomps on a box of candies for the lulz while proclaiming "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker."

I remember this clearly because as a wee kid that line confused me and I assumed he meant licorice.

When going back to review that episode decades later thanks to it being up on YouTube, I discovered that he doesn't say that at all during that scene.

Funny thing, Mr. Conductor (and consequently his evil twin) is played by George Carlin, so I suspect that maybe I saw some footage of Carlin's stand-up as a kid and got that memory mixed up with his appearance on Shining Time Station because that phrase absolutely sounds like something he'd say in a non-kid-show context.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I want to see that scene, having spent way too much time in front of that show while watching my younger brother. Carlin was such a weird get for that show, finding out about his actual career later on was such a weird moment, coming from a sheltered, conservative household.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8AIyA30ZVI&t=599s

...I somehow forgot that he actually said half of the phrase, so it might've actually been a memory of an adult in the room completing the classic phrase that I conflated with the show.

e: fixed the timestamp

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

quote:

[Restaurateur] is also spelled restauranteur (with an n), but this is considered erroneous by some, and the form restaurateur (without the n) is preferred in formal writing, and especially in the United Kingdom.

The form restaurateur (without the n) is the earlier form, borrowed from French, while the form restauranteur (with an n) = restaurant + -eur (“(agent) one who”) is a later formation, from Anglicized forms, and thus seen by some as an etymological error.

However, restauranteur is widely used, and can be found in formal British writing.

Not really a Mandela effect so much as people being bitchy and pedantic about spelling.