Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

It would be like if there was a man named Ceremy Jorbyn who threw wild minks and ferrets at people on the street, and it got pinned on someone else instead.

The press quite happily published a line about "Corbyn fined £10000 for anti-mask protest".

They declined to mention it was the crackpot brother Piers.

Edit - 2 is the smallest prime number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also the only even prime.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, the genie's out of the bottle here: after 6 months of this, it's utterly undeniable that for a huge swathe of the population, there's absolutely no need for them to be in the office every day and that can't be wished away again.

The Tories and their mates in the press can demand that we all get back to 'normal' as much as they want but businesses will make the decisions that are best for them: crucially, managers aren't scared of having staff work from home any more and can see how their companies can save money by allowing it.

I admit I am in the minority here, as is my partner (we work on the same business park but different departments) having a 20-30 minute commute to work but we both did have to commute via bus to the city which was an hour each way in our old jobs, so we know the burn of tossing ~£100 a month on commuting costs alone. If anything our work-life balance has improved dramatically and we bang on about this whenever we get asked for feedback on the current working arrangements; we can get chores done during the downtime moments, we're eating the food I buy instead of spending for convenience, and we get more sleep which makes us more productive and mentally healthy. It's a win all around for us and there's still no word of when our teams will be going back to the office.

Also it's fun to watch the bastard business higher-ups get into a rabid dog fight with the bastard landlords and the bastard government trying to walk a tightrope of who to support.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

Probably should take me off the CLP list (for Stroud) since I Dramatically Quit the Labour Party a few months back.

Hi fives for everyone with the good sense to no longer support the Labour Party financially.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wonder if the clamour to get "back to normal" will fade now that we're in September? Commercial leases generally run September-August, and I can absolutely see the Tories trying to put their thumb on the scale to at least limit the amount of companies deciding not to renew. Obviously a lot of these renewals are negotiated starting in March and April and suddenly another part of the fuzziness around lockdown becomes clear.

Someone I know is employed by a commercial property holding company with a lot of London property and said loads of businesses are handing back the keys and doing a runner on the rent.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

"The reason most service industries are organised in offices must be because that has been the most efficient way of working."

Must is doing a lot of heavy lifting for Rentoul there...
Pre home internet, maybe. The world of work is notoriously slow to adapt to new ways of working, just look at how long it took most offices to go paperless compared to how long the tech has been available. But then it probably was the most efficient way back in the 1890s when Rentoul was turned into a vampire.

Most people have had the ability to work from home since the early 2000s, Covid just gave us the kick up the arse to put things in place properly. People get into routines, societies more so, and then never question those routines at all.

Just take your average person you meet at a family get together and ask them why we all work 9-5, 5 days a week. There's a moment of almost painful neurological contortion before they give you an answer somewhere between 'because everyone else does' and 'because we always have.'

I don't think the 'genie is out of the bottle' stuff is really taking into account how servile the average Brit is though. Most people are going to begrudgingly trudge back to the office, and back to long commutes. There might be grumbling in the same way people grumble about going back on a Monday, but beyond that, everyone will just do it.

If anyone gets to work remotely more often, it'll be the management types.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

stev posted:

tube fairs

Is that like a Circle Line party? :v:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Question IRL posted:

So this is something I feel a bit guilty about.

I heard about this Posie Parker person last year (visa vie some article about Terfs and a woman who realized she had been radicalized by them.) And I was convinced that they were talking about the actress Parker Posie.

So when I watched Season 2 of Lost in Space, I was convinced that she was this awful woman going around spreading hateful stuff in the world. I didn't realize that was another dickhead who has chosen an incredibly similar name.

It would be like if there was a man named Ceremy Jorbyn who threw wild minks and ferrets at people on the street, and it got pinned on someone else instead.

Until I read this post I also assumed they were the same person.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Is that like a Circle Line party? :v:

I remember those from about 35 years ago :D
Went to a Mutoid Waste Exhibition in Notting Hill (or thereabouts) with some friends then we went round the circle line a few times eating Hedgehog crisps and drinking cider.
I don't know if the circle line does a full circuit these days? Whenever I've been on in in the last few years (not very often as I no longer live in London) I've always had to change at Tower Hill or something.

Rent-a-Tool chat:

What century does he live in!
As a temp in the 1980s I had to interlace carbon paper between 3 sheets of other paper to type any letter or memo in triplicate and use eraser tape in the typewriter to erase errors and then go on the carbon copies and use tippex. Too many mistakes and it was type the whole thing again! Internal post between departments, no email, and then when email did appear, only the top managers were allowed to have it and made their PAs print out each email and keep it in a file. And telex - does anyone still do that?

The main reason for having people in offices who could equally (or better) work from home is 'presenteeism'. I had a decent boss who when I was overwhelmed with a ginormous project at one point and asked if I could work from home (25-30 years ago!) said "You know the deadlines, you know what has to be done, I don't care if you sit on a beach in the Bahamas so long as it gets done!" People working for him would stay late, work weekends to finish projects (all unpaid overtime) but then also finish early for parents evenings or school concerts or evening classes on other days or between projects. He got kicked out and replaced with a 'yes man' who would patrol at 9:05am to see who wasn't in, patrol at 4:55pm to see if anyone had already been to the loo and got their coats on, and monitor the 48min official lunch break. Naturally, after a while, noone stayed late, noone came in on weekends, everyone gradually began a 'work to rule' (not any sort of unionized action, that's just what happened.)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm bored of work and ready to go on furlough again

I want taxpayer handouts and a 50" plasma TV while I lay around in a tracksuit and fornicate until I have dozens of kids I can't afford. I'm the prime minister lol

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 1, 2020

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Parker Posey is a babe and an awesome actress so its tragic seeing her reputation get damaged like this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And telex - does anyone still do that?
Embassies and banks, probably.

I know international documentary credits were still telexing one another in the late 2000s

And would take instruction over fax, but not encrypted email because it's not secure. :negative:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As a temp in the 1980s I had to interlace carbon paper between 3 sheets of other paper to type any letter or memo in triplicate
Shameful lack of Banda machine.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Piers Corbyn actually exists if that helps

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I don't remember if I quit Labour or not yet and I can't be bothered to check. I think kier might finally have got me a few weeks back

Which makes me one of the most pro labour people itt nowadays lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Piers Corbyn actually exists if that helps
That's what they want you to believe. :tinfoil:

If "climate change denier anti-vaxxer Piers Corbyn arrested at lizard people protest" didn't exist, they'd have to create him.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My sister in law has given up all pretence of social distancing and in the last week has been out on a date, two meetups with her skating friends and a rounders game with her friends family, who posted a photo to facebook of the fifteen of them standing with their arms round each other.

I have asthma, and she does the shopping for her gran who has COPD.

These dickheads think it's over because they got bored of distancing, they got used to the daily death count, the press aren't really talking about it any more and the government are straight up lying, so it feels like it's not real.

I almost don't blame her. Looking at the broader media context everyone seems absolutely fine with 40,000 people dead and over 1500 new cases daily. I feel like I'm going insane.

I think we are all going insane in our own ways and at different speeds. It's showing in different ways. The extroverts broke first and are overtly just ignoring the rules. Introverts are going hard the other way and are trying to reduce the risk of infection to 0.0% which is unsustainable. We have no hard proof that the nearest vaccines will work. No time table. If you are being hardline about quarantine how long do you think you can keep it up? What about people who have to go into work and can't work from home? Are they expected to lock themselves down in their off time but they do have to go to work in person? There's also personal acceptance of risks that will be different for everyone. Like some people won't even accept 1% and others seem fine going 'if I get it I get it'. So yeah, we're all going strange and we're going to make each other worse from incompatible outlooks.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

That's what they want you to believe. :tinfoil:

If "climate change denier anti-vaxxer Piers Corbyn arrested at lizard people protest" didn't exist, they'd have to create him.

There's also the never-ending stable of Sex Dwarf doppelgangers

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Regarde Aduck posted:

What about people who have to go into work and can't work from home? Are they expected to lock themselves down in their off time but they do have to go to work in person?

Yes, it has been like this from the start. Meanwhile if people go to a park or beach there is a ton of classist tutting from people with their own gardens.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

And would take instruction over fax, but not encrypted email because it's not secure. :negative:

This was the IDF back when I served which wasn't THAT long ago.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Embassies and banks, probably.

I know international documentary credits were still telexing one another in the late 2000s

Shameful lack of Banda machine.

Banda machines not really useful for individual letters. But great for flyers and round robins.
My dad used to have a gestetner duplicator to do the parish magazine back in the 60s LOL

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just seen the headline about the BBC possibly axing Left-wing comedy shows, I don't watch a lot of TV but what comedy shows are the BBC currently showing? I'm guessing HIGNFY is one of them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

The extroverts broke first and are overtly just ignoring the rules. Introverts are going hard the other way and are trying to reduce the risk of infection to 0.0% which is unsustainable.
I'm seeing a lot of this in the mask debate. Like "this doctor uses a vape to prove that masks don't work" and the video itself shows the mask reducing the spread of droplets from about 5 feet/1.5m forwards to less than 18"/45cm either side of his face, so it's pretty great proof that masks + 1m distancing are safer than no masks + 2m distancing, but because some vape cloud came out it's all useless and therefore ??? (I'm not even sure what the takeaway is if you're anti-mask and anti-vax and anti-lockdown. Therefore just wander around spreading disease or something.)

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

bessantj posted:

Just seen the headline about the BBC possibly axing Left-wing comedy shows, I don't watch a lot of TV but what comedy shows are the BBC currently showing? I'm guessing HIGNFY is one of them.

Basically. Too many leftist* comedians** doing down the country and mocking The People's Brexit

* Not actually leftist
** Arguably comedians

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

bessantj posted:

Mrs Brown's Boys, so if the Torygraph's attempt at a self-fulfilling prophecy of the BBC axing some comedy comes to pass and that awful show is removed I can live with the rest going too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, it has been like this from the start. Meanwhile if people go to a park or beach there is a ton of classist tutting from people with their own gardens.

Yeah I'm in quarantine for another 10 days in my 26sqm flat which is full of things like kitchen cupboards, bath, bed and so forth.
The maximum straight length in my flat is 5m and with a wiggle 7m. My leg and hip will seize up completely if I don't exercise daily which I'm not supposed to do under the rules so I've been sneaking out for a 20 min walk early morning before anyone else is around and keeping masked and at the 8m social distancing - not hard when there's literally noone about! - that the Institute of Physics recommends for the rogue mutant droplets lingering in the air waiting to drop on people like the djinn that hang around in trees....

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Posie Parker is like two rounds of telephone away from Pansy Parkinson from Harry Potter

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

When right-wingers complain about comedy being left-wing they usually mean "not openly bigoted" imo

but in this context it might instead mean "mildly critical of the status quo", which I think is actually all of it apart from the openly bigot stuff anyway?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's basically just the Mash Report (which already has Geoff Norcott's Mandatory Racist 5 Minutes anyway) and occasionally Frankie Boyle left on the BBC that can possibly be considered left-wing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

MIght be of interest to Twisto and others interested in construction.

Free webinar: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5640216882895062028

Wednesday 9th September 2020:
Social Value in Construction
3:00pm - 4:30pm

Is the UK construction industry taking enough definitive action to embed social value in their businesses? With central government proposing significant policy changes that will require all departments to account for social value with a minimum of 10% weighting in tenders, and with local authorities looking to embed social value in the planning process, this is a must attend webinar.

We will be bringing together the leading figures on social value in construction to debate issues including:
•Procurement and delivery
•Considerations and challenges project teams face in a post covid-19 world
•Investment – how to manage and account for social value within your budgets
•Challenges and solutions regarding the measurement of social value
•How can social value and its legacy impact communities?

Taking place at 3pm on Wednesday 9th September, panellists will include:
•Ben Carpenter, CEO, Social Value International
•Jo Dobson, Associate, Useful Projects
•Kirsty Guy, Senior Manager, Major Appeals & Initiatives, Barnardo’s
•Richard Meier, Co Founder, Stories
•Chaired by: Chloe McCulloch, Editorial Director, Building Magazine

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

is mash report any good? thats Nish's thing right?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

I watched it once and it was ok.
Didn't make enough impact on me though to 'bookmark' it in my brain for future watching.
The only comedy show I watch quite often is Dave Gorman Modern Life.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Itd be a lot better without geoff northcott, the least funny man in the world

Itd be a lot better without geoff northcott, the least funny man in the world. It also suffers from being a bit both sidesy other than the geoff northcott problem.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

When right-wingers complain about comedy being left-wing they usually mean "not openly bigoted" imo

but in this context it might instead mean "mildly critical of the status quo", which I think is actually all of it apart from the openly bigot stuff anyway?
The bigot stuff is also critical of the status quo, but it's critical of things like Black people existing.

You can't really make comedy that isn't critical of the status quo in some way (even the arsehole stuff that can gently caress off), because otherwise there'd be no point of reference for the audience. Like even if you were doing a comedy set in First Dynasty Egypt or the Paleocene or something you'd have to pepper it with a mixture of pop-historical things that you think your audience already knows about the scenario and relatable modern day situations.

If you can only view things through broke-brained culture war memes though, that's dirty Marxist indoctrination.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

The bigot stuff is also critical of the status quo, but it's critical of things like Black people existing.

You can't really make comedy that isn't critical of the status quo in some way (even the arsehole stuff that can gently caress off), because otherwise there'd be no point of reference for the audience. Like even if you were doing a comedy set in First Dynasty Egypt or the Paleocene or something you'd have to pepper it with a mixture of pop-historical things that you think your audience already knows about the scenario and relatable modern day situations.

If you can only view things through broke-brained culture war memes though, that's dirty Marxist indoctrination.

where does that hilarious pro-statue "jamacian countdown" sketch come into this?

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Axing HIGNFY is a great idea for various reasons and none of them being anything to do with the left.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lungboy posted:

Mrs Brown's Boys, so if the Torygraph's attempt at a self-fulfilling prophecy of the BBC axing some comedy comes to pass and that awful show is removed I can live with the rest going too.

Mrs Brown's Boys is really loving awful. I got dragged to see the movie and it had a nice dash of racism in it as well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i dont watch terrestrial telly and whenever i do its so loving far beyond the parody tv in nightmare dystopias

can it all imo, pull down the broadcast towers or wherever telly comes from. space?

e: the new partridge was good though. let that lot live

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 1, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

where does that hilarious pro-statue "jamacian countdown" sketch come into this?
It's very critical of the intelligence and dignity of Jamaican people.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

I guess we're allowed to keep the absurdist stuff, but Harry Hill's new BBC thing is just a Matt Berry Does... knockoff instead of a TV Burp knockoff like it should rightfully be :argh:

Also puns are fine I guess, so we could get a Milton Jones/Guavanaut double act on a Friday night?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The only comedy show I watch quite often is Dave Gorman Modern Life.
Got my hopes up that there was a new series :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

It's very critical of the intelligence and dignity of Jamaican people.

So perfectly acceptable to the Tories then.