Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Remember thiscatdoesnotexist.com and the monstrosities it created?

https://vole.wtf/this-mp-does-not-exist/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Bobstar posted:

What happens if a candidate dies right before the election? That sounds chaotic to me.

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1311804268928794627

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

ronya posted:

Corbyn's not going to be kicked out

Nine pages behind and still catching up, but heh.

I wouldn't blame him for giving up but please, please, new party now.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1323657728443731968

Well, at least one part of the Brexit planning is going well :tinfoil:

(Yes, that's the Daily Mail being concerned that the Tory government is making a move which is too oppressive for a liberal society)

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

RE: Poppymas,

My certainty that Extinction Rebellion is a Met Police op meant to distract frothing gammons from any actual consequential change we might make towards slightly improving the climate crisis continues to increase.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1326451218378612736

quote:

Loosely related, Worcestershire Sauce Wheat Crunchies (RIP) were the best crisps of all time. Fight me.

Walkers Sensations Mexican Fiery Sweet Chipotle. Taken from us before their time.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 11, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

The only cat I've ever respected was the feral one who tried to claw my leg off in Morocco. All the others just passive aggressively poo poo in my gravel and give me the stink eye from the top of my shed.

Anyway, London can be a bit of weird one. Not a big fan myself, but it's where the work tends to be. If you can integrate into a local community you'll generally do great, but it does have a very high turnover. I think the most recent figures are something like 1.6 million moving out in the last five years, 1.1 million moving in. I definitely wouldn't recommend buying straight off (even if that's an option given how overpriced stuff is) - spend six months in an area to ensure you're happy with it first. I hopped around boroughs for about five years when I got here before finally settling on 'screw this, just outside the M25 for commuting will be fine'.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Please get a smart meter. I know that in the initial rollout people got some poo poo ones and that damaged the usefulness of the programme overall but it really will make things better long term and does gently caress all to you in the short term. The new ones are fine.

Last time I looked into it the smart meter rollout continued to be a massive cluster which has cost about £13 billion so far, or an additional £500 on energy bills for each of the 26 million households in the UK. About 3.6 million of currently installed meters are in 'traditional' i.e. dumb mode and the rest of the SMETS1 ones are probably going to need to be ripped out and replaced at some point anyway as they stop working once you switch supplier. Which of course nobody in the UK ever does.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...eport_FINAL.pdf
https://www.theregister.com/2019/09/17/four_year_delay_for_smart_meter_rollout/

The main benefit to 'consumers' has been a natty little in-house display that tells you information you could have found out anyway. Meanwhile suppliers are getting shot of their meter readers and the government is salivating over the prospect of demand shifting and selectively cutting off electricity as the national grid heads towards rolling blackouts from lack of new generation capacity.

Please feel free to expound on what the actual benefits are, but to my mind it's just another failed national infrastructure project under capitalism.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In theory my electric car charger can monitor energy prices in like minute by minute real time and ask for electricity when the network is desperate to unload it so will in fact pay me to take it.

Yes, that was one of the original promises way back in 2013. Has anyone, anywhere, actually achieved that?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the SMETS2 standard even has the concept of providing minute by minute pricing data to the customer. Let alone any standard API to send that information to things like car chargers.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/381535/SMIP_E2E_SMETS2.pdf

quote:

4.4.2.1 Communications Links with a PPMID via its HAN Interface
GSME shall be capable of establishing and maintaining Communications Links via
its HAN Interface with a minimum of one PPMID.
GSME shall be capable of supporting the following types of Communications Links:
i. receiving the Commands (set-out in section 4.5.3) from a PPMID every 30
minutes
; and
ii. generating and sending the Responses (set-out in section 4.5.3) to a PPMID.

5.5.8.1 Time-of-use Pricing
ESME shall be capable of recording Consumption according to Time-of-use Bands in
one of forty-eight Tariff Registers in the Tariff TOU Register Matrix(5.7.5.34).
ESME shall be capable of switching between different Tariff Registers once every 30
minutes.
The switching between Time-of-use Bands and thus Tariff Registers shall
be based on the switching rules defined in the Tariff Switching Table(5.7.4.48).
5.5.8.2 Time-of-use with Block Pricing
ESME shall be capable of recording Consumption in one of four Block Registers for
each of eight Time-of-use Bands in the Tariff TOU Block Register Matrix(5.7.5.35).
The switching between Time-of-use Bands and sets of Block Registers shall be
based on the switching rules set-out in the Tariff Switching Table(5.7.4.48). ESME shall
be capable of switching between Time-of-use Bands once every 30 minutes.
Switching between the Block Registers within each Time-of-use Band shall be based
on Consumption accumulated in the Tariff Block Counter Matrix(5.7.5.33) and
Consumption thresholds in the Tariff Threshold Matrix(5.7.4.49).
ESME shall also be capable of accumulating Consumption in one of four Block
Counters in the Tariff Block Counter Matrix(5.7.5.33) for each of the eight Time-of-use
Bands. ESME shall be capable of switching between Block Counters according to
the Consumption thresholds in the Tariff Threshold Matrix(5.7.4.49).
ESME shall be capable of resetting the counters in the Tariff Block Counter
Matrix(5.7.5.33) once per Day

E: Whoops, quoted the gas meter reqs.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 30, 2020