Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ferrosol posted:

:jerkbag: it means wanking

Crank one out, surely. You don't "crack" out a wank like your penis is a christmas cracker or a fortune cookie (i hope)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Ferrosol posted:

:jerkbag: it means wanking

Crank one out, surely. You don't "crack" out a wank like your penis is a christmas cracker or a fortune cookie (i hope)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

stev posted:

Nah it's crack, like a whip. Kw-chhh.

How about 'crack' like one of those 3D puzzles.

Get all the bits of your penis in the right position and a wank comes out

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
have... have i got covid

am i having one of those covid dreams

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
been ages since we had The Chart so here's a little peek at uk cases

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

It me, posting from whatever century it was when the UK owned calais.

bloody borders, coming over here and being on this side of the channel :bahgawd:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

going to try and find more vegetables to fry tomorrow.

You can also get them in shops

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I hadn't heard about this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53985144

Kickstart: Firms urged to sign up to job scheme for under-24s

quote:

[...]
Businesses can join the scheme from Wednesday,
[...]
Selected out-of-work young people will be offered six-month work placements, for at least 25 hours a week,
[...]
Anyone between the age of 16 and 24 who is out-of-work and claiming Universal Credit may be eligible. Government figures suggest that there are already more than half a million people who fall into this category.
[...]
Jobcentre staff will identify people at risk of long-term unemployment to refer to the scheme, and Jobcentre work coaches will support candidates before and after their placement.
[...]
The government will fund each Kickstart job - paying 100% of the age-relevant National Minimum Wage, National Insurance and pension contributions for a 25-hour a week.
[...]
In addition, the government is offering employers £1,500 to set up support and training for those taking part, or other set-up costs such as buying uniforms.
[...]
The government has puts a £2bn price tag on the scheme, which it says could fund over 250,000 placements.
[...]
Tesco is the only firm to have publicly confirmed it plans to take part so far, offering 1,000 placements. But the government said others had shown an interest.
[...]
Employers' organisations have welcomed the chancellor's scheme. But in the past, from the Youth Opportunities Programme in the late 1970s to the Future Jobs Fund following the last recession, schemes to support young people into work have generally been met with a degree of scepticism.

They don't always offer the level of training or experience participants hoped for, and firms are often accused of using them as a pool of cheap labour to replace older, more expensive employees.
[...]

2bn to throw at giant corporations so they can get free labour.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

stev posted:

I don't know how people could stand to leave stuff in that carriage, anyone could walk away with anything.

Airport baggage claim areas are the worst too, always makes me anxious.

Airport baggage collection, or "thief's buffet" as they're known

Actually i guess it's more like "thief's yo sushi"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Just been in an out of the dentist

:grin:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

communism bitch posted:

So I applied to do an MA at Leicester in June, heard nothing, finally managed to find somebody there who can answer a phone and they're like "oh we made a note to give you an offer but we forgot". And I still don't definitely know if I have a place and I'm due to start on Oct. 1st and I'm capping my jorts about it.

i thought the point of making a note was so that you don't forget

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

The Bin peoples, also known as the Dustmen[archaic], are members of various indigenous nomadic groups that are the first nations of the Mamba-Pambe region. Their large wheeled containers became famous for causing English colonists to fly into an inexplicable rage.

We know much of the Bin Peoples' culture because of what we've found in their middens.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

kecske posted:

Portuguese has the word Saudade for this kind of pining for 'the good old days'. Apparently Welsh has the equivalent Hiraeth but i cant tell if it's a legit everyday word or just an Instagram tattoo word.

Back in my day we just remembered the word instead of getting it printed on our skin like some delinquent thug :bahgawd:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
the only legitimate reason to have just 6 chips on your plate is if you've already eaten several dozen chips and there will soon be none

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Sanford posted:

A story to bring a little cheer, I hope? A couple of weeks ago my young friend (who reminds me what it was to feel alive) asked for advice over a letter from her landlord saying that, alas, he needs to increase the rent to cover his bills and strongly suggesting that if they can’t afford it they should end the tenancy early and find somewhere else to live. I don’t actually think he can do that, but he’s got a strong history of heavily suggesting things and then using “well I never said you’ve got to” as a defence. He says he has other people ready to move in at a higher rate but he has two other flats standing empty in her building so it’s fairly obvious he’s bluffing. As it turns out, my wife and I were able to give my friend and her partner a small gift/loan to top up their deposit and they got approved for a mortgage yesterday! So they’re moving into her parents before the end of this month, should be in their own place by Christmas, and today get to tell their landlord that they accept his proposal, and will be ending the tenancy early just as he’s suggested. My request of “just let me be the one to tell him” was unfortunately denied by both my friend and my wife.

:unsmigghh:

Delicious.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/helloalegria/status/1301290315593191426?s=20

Genuinely reads like they set out to make the idea of returning to the office sound as awful as humanly possible

I believe it's Dettol that made that ad, they've been plastering the tube with similar ads. I guess ad revenue in the tube has fallen off a cliff since there's barely anyone using the tube these days, because it's pretty much the only company doing ads down there now.

I don't think Dettol in particular are pushing for people to go back to the office, they're just trying to appeal to people who do like the office

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I had a visceral reaction to this, imagine looking forward to hearing buzzwords. That tells you everything you need to know about the wankers who wrote this.

Let's put a pin in that and i'll touch base with you later. Buzzwords have a use and i think it's worth doing a deep dive on why

:barf:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cerv posted:

Pret have taken the standard coffee shop "buy 9 get 1 free" loyalty card to the next level.
Adopting the gym model of a monthly subscription that hopefully you'll keep paying for even when not using.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/04/pret-offers-monthly-subscription-to-boost-post-covid-pandemic-sales

Subscription-service coffee :psyduck:

It's desperate, but it makes sense. Gyms absolutely coin it by having contracts that people struggle (or forget to) get out of, and they were able to keep raking it in after lockdown for a short while at least.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mebh posted:

The fudge has arrived just in time for my wife's eye surgery.

This does not sound medically safe.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Continuity RCP posted:

He made 40k on gofundme from this

Who the gently caress are all these people sitting around on gofundme waiting to shovel cash at these rando dickheads?

It boggles the mind.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I AM BOGGLED

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Trip repoetb: went to wetherspoons, literally not a singleperson besides myself wearing Mark. Also, haven't been this drunk in months

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've had foiye dtonks

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lady Demelza posted:

If we're going to be hosting a goon farmers' market,

I'll make the wicker baskets

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
uuuuuggghhhhhhhh my head is killing me

What's everyone's favourite hangover cure, gimme

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

Not free as in beer, free as in you’re free to start your own one if you think you could do better!!!

a "free press" in that they're completely free to write and do whatever bollocks they want with no consequences; see hacking scandal

the state of british press is basically the result of someone thinking out loud "what if free but too much"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Tories min-maxing the economy to get an absurdly high GDP, and finding all sorts of batshit insane exploits that society was never designed for like "whip the poor" and "stand like the colossus of rhodes"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lady Demelza posted:

That, and the Spectator apparently got 550 more subscriptions out of the spat.

I wonder what Andrew Neil is going to do with all those extra copies

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

"Non-EU migration highest for decades" is something that the right wing rags decided to be mad about last month (graph is from The Sun so may just be made up).

It's still too much of a pain, but I think the government genuinely is opening up a bit, if only for the Bad Reasons (makes businesses and landlords money).

right wingers: "too many europeans migrating here!"

*the racist monkey's paw curls, and white european migrants are replaced by black migrants*

right wingers (sobbing): n..no!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah just put him on ignore (so your quotes don't expose his posts to us) and let him scream into the void.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Don't forget https://www.thiswaifudoesnotexist.net/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I hope everyone is excited by the Leveling Up Task Force

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I didn't feel anything BUT a helicopter ambulance has landed in the local park and I'm sitting near it waiting for it to take off, so that's my child-like excitement for the day sorted

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does this mean we are now a Rogue State?

Axis of Pfeffle

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

Not that I'm clamouring for more Keir Starmer in my life, but monthly seems a bit... sparse. Does it really take 30 days to come up with enough criticism of the tories to fill a press conference?

He can only come out under a full moon

E: sorry, a half moon. Aka the centrist moon.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Smashed avocado on sourdough toast is actually amazing, Hipsters Was Right

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

fridge corn posted:

I dont think you need Google to figure out what avocado toast is

You say that like foods are always named for what they are

For all Jaeluni Asjil knows, this could be a Toad in the Hole situation

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

standing cow-like in a big crowd

On all fours and farting constantly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

really start thinking how I could go about setting off a volcano in the middle of London.

I believe the Festival of Brexit people are still taking ideas from the public.