Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Parker Posey is a babe and an awesome actress so its tragic seeing her reputation get damaged like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Zarah has been getting poo poo from the Labour right from day one so I've always figured shes probably alright.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Finnish morning news speak of Boris Johnson giving a "deadline" to the EU for when the negotiations have to be complete, is what happened just as stupid as it sounds like? It feels like Boris should be the one trying to meet a deadline, not the other way around.
A lot of people have been theorising that the Tory Brexit strategy under Johnson is to go no-deal but present it in such a way to the British public that any negative repercussions are entirely the fault of the EU, and not the individuals and the party that set us down that road.

It will 100% work.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Also who is Laurence Fox? I've seen his tweets appear a few times now and I still have zero clue. Some youtuber?
Bang average TV actor turned terrible singer/songwriter who has gained some notoriety for leaning into the right wing grift. Theres nothing particularly interesting in him but because hes a right wing celebrity thats already broken into that bubble you're never going stop hearing from him.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I first heard about him from FBPE twitter who were bouncing memes around about how the tories would be sending Davis to negotiate and how Labour would be sending sensible barrister Keith Stairmaster, as soon as Jaremy Crobny did the right thing and stood aside for Jo of Swindon.
lol I hope Swinson becomes the next "what could have been?" candidate in the way David Milliband is, where they life in a fantasy world where had this particular person become party leader we'd be driving electric flying cars by now, but unfortunately a nasty left winger deprived us of this.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

David Miliband couldn't deal with losing to his brother so he quit politics and jumped into a lucrative NGO job and is now just some middle aged poo poo head that pops up in the news once in a while to provide an opinion that no one except Guardian writers were interested in.

But to liberals he is the would be Messiah.

I don't hate David Miliband, but I hate the people that think he would have been a slam dunk winner in 2015 and would then had brought about some utopian fantasy world.

Also, I hate the people that think that say things like "Ed should have stepped aside for David" or "Jeremy should have stepped aside for Jess", as if the leadership of a party was something that leaders just handed down, because they can't accept that that their fantasy perfect leaders were too poo poo to motivate the party members to vote for them in the first place.

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 15, 2020

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Dogatron posted:

I was just trying to say that the whole Covid thing has turned into another way to have a go at the poor and the working class.
Definitely true, but this thread is a rare refuge from that shite.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Labour make it very easy for me not to vote for them because the people currently in charge have spent the last five years claiming that us on the left are stupid, child-like cultists/thugs and then actively sabotaged a project that we got personally invested in that might have improved this country even the tiniest of fractions in order to run on a "these Tories have some nice ideas actually" campaign.

Now they're demanding we shut the gently caress up and get in-line behind them. They can gently caress off.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

minema posted:

What would everyone's choice of radio station be while commuting considering DAB isn't available in my car, I don't have an aux port and I binned all my CDs years ago. I hate adverts so currently listen to radio 2 but at 28 I think I'm definitely too young for it.
Podcasts and Spotify really. Can't stand the radio.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Once in a while you bump into a phrase or a reference that immediately makes you aware that the person using them is an idiot. Bringing up 1984 or Animal Farm is a good example of this but "the intellectual capacity of a gnat" is something that stupid people to consider this an immensely powerful put down. And I say this as someone who is at best ambivalent about Owen Jones.

The state of Mike Graham too. The hairline, the mullet, the red face. He looks like hes sat on that chair holding onto his leg in that picture because hes concious that his "absolute unit" physique might fall off it. He probably sweats bacon grease.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'd love to go to cinemas more regularly but its so expensive these days and most of the time you'll have maybe two or three days in a single week to watch a screening of a movie that you're waiting for because every other screen has been taken up by a Marvel movie or some other tentpole.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

kingturnip posted:

There's some heavy bullshit involved in Marcus Rashford being put forward for the Queen's Birthday Honours, despite him being castigated by various Tories over his views about food poverty.

He seems like a good guy, so it won't affect my view of him (which I'm sure he'll be thrilled about), but I'd really like him to reject the MBE on the basis of "gently caress the Tories".
I remember seeing a story a couple of months ago about how the government was going to investigate the tax status of footballers as a whole, so it wouldn't shock me if we're about to find out how Marcus Rashford is dodging taxes.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I might be remembering incorrectly, but even before this Duffield has made negative comments about her CLP and the people that campaigned for her to win that seat.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

It’s even better. Two drunken English men insist that they make a life altering decision on the future unilaterally. Despite being warned of the consequences multiple times they insist on going their own path.

The end result is the complete destruction of society and the deaths of countless people.
After that reading the Channel 4 movie "The Deal" seems weirdly prescient now.

Not sure how to react to the rest of your post. I've not had children but I'm a godfather to a few and I'd take a bullet for any of them. Can't imagine the pain you went through. Love to you and your daughter.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

lol we're about to see a government thats been brazenly throwing tax payer money around to its mates demonise someone who literally just wants to see children get fed, and it will 100% work because the media are going to support them doing this.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Desiderata posted:

Aaaaaand the British press will let all this slide. Systemic disfunction resulting ultimately in literal corpses will mean nothing.

Contrast with The Guardian sharpening the nails to ram into the Corbyn regime's coffin over the equalities commission report. You can hear the thirst in the tone of the writing. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/28/labour-figures-braced-antisemitism-inquiry-rule-party-acted-unlawfully
On the one hand I'm very much used to British liberals wildly overestimating the impact or severity that they see as a positive by now. They absolutely did believe the "twenty points ahead" thing for years, they absolutely did believe that "one person, one vote" would result in massive enthusiasm for their chosen few, they absolutely believed that the CUKTIGs were an earthquake in electoral politics, and they absolutely believed that the Panorama documentary was a smoking gun that would put a bullet in the Corbyn project.

But on the other hand, even if the report is at best mildly damning and provides minimal evidence for its conclusions they'll run hard with it anyway and use it to beat the left.

We all know its bullshit anyway, so just roll with it and stop loving voting for the Labour Party.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

101 posted:

Does anyone remember an episode of either Off The Fence or we don't talk about the weather that was just a deep dive into all the awful poo poo Boris has done and said throughout his career?

Trying to find it
Heh, I was planning on downloading it to listen on the night shift. I think its episode 94, but if it isn't it's definitely around that period.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If this thread is Disco Elysium then ronya is Encyclopaedia.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Dabir posted:

win or lose this result means trumpism isn't going away, the GOP's going to have a competent hitler ready to go in 2024, all that's left to see is whether america will have a chance to vote on him or not

Looking forward to seeing the Dems put the thumb on the scales for Buttigieg over AOC in 2024, watch him perform completely under expectations and then say that he was too left and they need someone more moderate.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

I never quite knew how to put into words how the centrists view the world, but this sums it up perfectly. "A cabal of elites ruling us, yes, but not these bad ones".
Thomas Frank recently released a book on this subject called People Without Power: A Brief History of Anti-Populism which is apparently excellent. I was listening to him talk about it on the War Nerd and I all I kept thinking about is how perfectly it aligns with centrists in the UK as well.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jose posted:

Lol they voted for it
Exactly. They won, they should get over it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its some how even more daft than you might think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5WouIzjgqo

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its not like the right wing of the party doesn't have a long history with this. Even in recent memory, they transparently tried to gently caress over both of Corbyn's leadership elections.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Convex posted:

Is this actually a real person or one of those deep learning AI's focusing entirely on "comment is free" articles
Theres a ton of people who were anti-Iraq war in their teens and twenties that grew up to become liberals who believed that the 2019 Bolivian coup was merely a popular uprising of pro-democracy progressives, who are big champions of Venezuela's 'legitimate' leader Juan Guaido or poured out a drink when Soleimani was assassinated.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Best thing about all of this is that its a fight Starmer absolutely didn't need to have but he went for it anyway.

Like, if I had to think it all through, Corbyn staying in Labour and pleading for unity so they can beat the Tories in the next election works out in their favour as well. Its not even as if he has a big enough ego to push hard for a cabinet position or the leadership again, hes probably quite happy doing what he did before 2015 and hes looking forward to a few more years where he can retire and chill out with his family and work on the allotment.

But they couldn't resist it could they lol

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Noel Fielding hosting Bake Off is the sole reason I stopped watching it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Vigil for Virgil posted:

What's wrong with Noel Fielding.
He made the Mighty Boosh. He was pretty poo poo on Buzzcocks too. I just find him annoying and his humour is just "hey isn't this just a bit random?".

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't buy the "Gervais needs Merchant to make something good" because Extras is definitely a step down from The Office, Life's Too Short was pretty bad and his HBO sitcom Hello Ladies was awful.

The difference is though is that Merchant is actually a talented actor and is quite likeable in interviews, so every time he pops up you actually look forward to what you're about to see and he nails it every time.

edit; Actually, Fighting with My Family was a really fun watch so Merchant gets full credit for that.

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 24, 2020

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jakabite posted:

The admission that they’re real but taken out of context from all involved. Cretin.
lol it was very telling when it was released that the response was either "it was taken out of context" (which is hard to do given just how comprehensive the quoted parts are) or "how dare they release this without redacting the names".

Look, a bunch of Labour libs actively protected anti-Semites because it served their ideological goals. Not only does the document prove that, but libs are quite happy to indulge in that behaviour because they're convinced that they are the real good guys.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

mehall posted:

Corbyn did compromise, you loving dullard.
Hes talking about the liberal definition of "compromise", where you have your hand on the racism dial.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Zero Gravitas posted:

what are you talking about

JoylessJester posted:

In politics whenever I see lecturing on the virtures of compromise, I never actually see any suggestions on where the compromise should be. Immigration? that's always the thing the Labour right write the same article over and over again on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

I also think Corbyn should gently caress off and retire gracefully and the left shouldn't be defending him all the time since it's a lost battle and also he did fail massively to do what we trusted him to.
It wasn't entirely his fault but some of it was.
I mean, the centrists wanted to drag out this internal fight with the left, it would be weird if the left didn't show some sense of solidarity in response.

Easiest thing they could have done is just leave it all be. Have the report come out, offer an incredibly tedious response to it and then let the news cycle move on.