Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bornbytheriver posted:

Dear UKMT goons, I would be grateful for your advice on the landlord's notice requesting to vacate the property.

I live in London, in an old house divided into 3 flats. Last Friday, the letting agency that is managing the property on behalf of the landlord sent an email to all 3 tenants advising that the house has been sold and that the new owner intends to remodel the house in light of which they want all tenants to leave by Nov. 20th.

I've lived at this property since 2012, never missed paying rent.

When I signed the assured shorthold tenancy agreement in July of 2012 for the intial term of the tenancy of 12 months, the landlord was working with a letting agent that never bothered renewing the contracts despite me calling them in 2013 when the first 12 months expired and later in the year to ask if they are going to formalise an extension of some sort, they said: no, if you are staying, don't worry, you are fine. Fast forward to 2018, this letting agent shut its offices and transferred everything to the letting agency that is now requesting to vacate the property. The current letting agency had never bothered asking if I have any plans to move either, the only thing that I had to do differently is to pay rent to this agent rather than the landlord. But when they sent an architect to assess the building 4 months ago, they had repeatedly told to all tenants that the new buyer was going to continue letting the flats and that we had nothing to worry about. This, of course, was a flat out lie.

What are my rights in this situation? I am really frightened to go out and look for another flat in a covid laced city and surroundings, and have nowhere like family to park temporarily. According to Shelter, 'if the notice is served between 29 August 2020 and 31 March 2021 inclusive of, the minimum notice period is six months, unless exceptions apply'. Do I understand correctly that I can tell the letting agency that I would like to exercise my right to stay 6 months? Can they do something to counter this?

Thank you.

You should have in theory 6 months. They're pushing for the November date because 100% the person buying the property has said they want you out before they exchange. If you and the other tenants make a big fuss about this the sale could fall through so stick to your guns. Speak to CAB and Shelter and check your original contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bornbytheriver posted:

Thank you very much for this. According to the letting agency's email, the contracts between the new buyer and the previous landlord have been exchanged on Friday 11th of Sept.

The letting agency has stated in their email that they can reimburse 2 months' worth of rent upon vacating if I can leave by Nov. 20th, which in my case is not much as I started renting this place in 2012. I probably should have mentioned this in my OP, apologies.

The email came without Form 6a, it ended with 'The suggested date to vacate the property is the 20th November 2020. We will work to find alternative accommodation for yourselves. We would be grateful to receive your thoughts on the above and whether you would be willing to accept?'

We will work to find alternative accommodation for me now means going into a house share, which I can't accept due to covid.

I am going to acknowledge the receipt of their email and state that according to the Coronavirus Act 2020, notices received on or after 29 August 2020 must be a minimum of 6 months and see what they come back with.

Can I also thank ThomasPaine, serious gaylord, Nothingtoseehere, Guava for their inputs and comments. :love:

Are you comfortable posting the letter? I am getting some serious 'we hosed up here and should have asked you to leave months ago' vibes from this agent from how they are phrasing it.

No contract would have been exchanged without explicit instruction on what happens with the sitting tenants and no serious property solicitor would fail to pick up on this from the buyers side. They would 100% have informed the new buyer that unless the place was vacant upon exchange they would be responsible for the current tenants and all eviction notices etc. No way would they then just exchange contracts and tell you to get out in 2 months the same day this happens.

Well I mean they might, but it would be highly unusual and as mentioned, illegal.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bornbytheriver posted:

Apologies, I probably didn't express myself correctly. What I meant is that if they reimburse 2 months worth of rent, for me personally it'll be £1400, and given London's extortionate rent rates, it's peanuts.

Sure, here it is:

Good afternoon xxxxxx,

As you may be aware the landlords are currently selling the property. To keep you up to date, I can confirm that the property is due to exchange contracts on the 11th September 2020.

Due to building works required to be carried out on the property, the buyers wish to inform you that they will be serving notice upon exchange of contracts giving you 2 months to vacate. They understand that this is never a nice situation to be in and therefore as an apology for the inconvenience they are causing and as a gesture of goodwill they have offered to pay the last two months’ rent back to you, in full, upon vacating. The suggested date to vacate the property is the 20th November 2020.

xxxxxx will work to find alternative accommodation for yourselves.

We would be grateful to receive your thoughts on the above and whether you would be willing to accept?

Kind regards,

xxxxxx

Hahaha they're hosed. Utterly hosed.

Stick it out they can't touch you.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Davey pie has actually said something about Brexit and also stuck the knife into Boris about breaking the law.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ed just murdered the Pm on live tele.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Nearly 700,000 people lost their jobs in May and August.

Christ alive.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
loving hell Starmer is still there on national TV saying he'd support the government.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Christ Starmer is absolutely shite isnt he.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Simultaneously not taking a stance on literally any issue? This can't be their guy?

Marr: Heres too options, which do you prefer?

Starmer: I can't tell you which one i'd prefer now, in 4 years time I can.

Marr: Do you want No deal?

Starmer: No I don't

Marr: So of those two options you'd prefer an extension?

Starmer: No i'm not saying that I'm saying balaskhsiosahooijhaslk;jhask;ljaspojsa

What a oval office.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
10PM curfew going well.

https://twitter.com/charliehtweets/status/1309988787943022592

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm guessing someone on here might know - in connection with self-employed self assessment tax:

I pay for hosting, say £450 per 3 years. In my space, I host a friend's website as well as my own and I'm charging him 1/3rd of my hosting cost so I've just invoiced him £150 for that.

Given that my friend will be offsetting this on his expenses, what do I declare for tax in relation to this?

hosting space for 3 years expenses £450, income £150, OR
hosting space for 3 years expenses £300, income £0?

because it's not really £150 income, it's expenses incurred on behalf of friend recharged. But £450 will be the invoice I pay for my hosting.

No its £150 income. You've 'sold' that so you have to declare it as a sale.

You would then offset this with the cost of hosting in your P&L of course.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CoolCab posted:

god it feels like it's been fuckin ages, i didn't notice you were still posting here - it's really nice to see you dude! how are you doing?

Cheers friend. I dont really post super much on this entire forum outside of the cycling thread anymore, theres really not much left on here now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

stev posted:

I don't really fancy going to the cinema either. But I also don't see why it's worse than, say, spending two hours in an indoor pub or restaurant - which are both thriving.

Its because going to the cinema is poo poo and you can re-create 90% of it at home.

That's literally the reason. The experience is awful at big chain places. poo poo seats, poo poo sound mixing, poo poo screens. Add in noisy fuckers and it makes an already bad experience miserable.

I would rather pay £20 to watch a film at home with the wife than £20 to watch it in a cinema.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Genuine non-funny response: check you don't have a carbon monoxide leak, you can do proper weird poo poo and not remember any of it if you do. If you've got a detector and it's all good, you're probably just going senile.

I'm actually seconding this. Carbon Monoxide leaks are insidious and its not always leak -> death instantly. Theres been cases of people having a leak in their house for months without realising it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Ash Sarkar and the 17th Edition BS7671 Wiring Regulations, united in killing gammons by being brown.

irl lol.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Rashford has just comprehensively dunked on literally every tory MP in the last 24 hours.

Nicky Morgan reminding the country why she was so loving terrible at being on tele and re-inforcing the 'we voted against it to spite Labour' has massively backfired again.

The papers printing a list of every MP that voted against helping starving children.

This government makes policy by focus group so I imagine the free meals extension will get announced today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
3 more places do that and the tories will have a law up for debate about it being illegal to bar sitting MP's from anywhere.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
112 Mp's writing a letter blaming Rayner for the abuse they're getting for voting to starve children.

I expect Sir Kier to be live on BBC 1 taking the blame and making a statement about learning lessons in 20 minutes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I heard the choppers leave to go gently caress up that oil tanker earlier.

Well I assume thats what it was for, they could have been going down the chippy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

sebzilla posted:

Probably signalled left but turned right.

He abstained from braking.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Angrymog posted:

We've just had another Beauty Parlour open. I have no idea what made people think that Sheerness needs another beauty parlour.

The car of the person running it has a number plate that's a fair attempt at 'Boss Babe', and is a giant, white, SUV.

'Shop' shops are dead on the high street. Products can and will be bought cheaper online and the pandemic has accelerated what was an inevitable death by forcing people who wouldnt usually shop online into doing this. Most won't go back.

What you're left with is destination shops and places that sell things you need to physically see/experience. Think Furniture/department stores. You're still going to go to Ikea to buy a table because you're never quite sure if you'll like the one on that website etc.

Service shops however are absolutely booming. Hairdressers, beauty parlours, coffee shops. Thats what the high street is going to be going forwards.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/premnsikka/status/1320852918195683330?s=20

Oh wow, I know we've spoken a bit about the Plymouth Brethren ITT before but I didn't realise that many of them were also Tories.

*tugs collar*

ruh roh.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They cant vote, but that doesnt stop them suggesting it to their employees heavily.

Because Corbyn voted against their charity status.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

blunt posted:

Put cycle lanes everywhere. Unban electric scooters and let them in the lanes. Fine anybody riding in the road when there's an adjacent cycle lane. Uses those fines to build more cycle lanes.

In the meantime though, cycle in the center. That way I won't feel anxious about needing to overtake you because the car behind me is right up my rear end.

God I hate everything about driving.

Please give up your driving licence.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is Gary Linekar a journalist?

It applies to all BBC 'talent'

I was reading that list of rules and it seemed a bullet point takedown of everything Linekar does so was clearly written by Piers Morgan.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Can Corbyn get the Formby report into public record if he takes them to court. Regardless of the payoff the labour party gave the people sueing them?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You could argue that rule would apply to people attending church if its applied fairly.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

tory MP confirming here that tory MPs want you to die

https://twitter.com/RobertSyms/status/1322150275591921667?s=20

Thats my MP and hes an absolute turd.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh cool they just dropped that we're going into a national lockdown again (in England) on Wednesday. After briefing the cabinet to deny this all day. At 9pm on a Friday.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1322294630906503171

Restrictions to last for 1 month.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Payndz posted:

Everything except schools :wtc: and non-essential shops to close? What, so you pack the kids off to their local viral hotbed, then spend the day playing 40K in Games Workshop because you can't go and buy any food?

I think he meant 'essential' shops which is all of them if they leave the categorising up to the owners.

But yes, keeping schools open given they are now showing to be the biggest vectors of the disease while kneecapping the economy seems nonsensical at best and actively suicidal at worst.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Not only would a 2nd lockdown not work if they continue to let kids go to school, it will further erode trust in the government and when the necessary 3rd lockdown happens, because it will unless a vaccine arrives, you'll get stuff like whats happening in spain.

https://twitter.com/CrimeLdn/status/1322306670471663616

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ronya posted:

a good point:

https://twitter.com/DavidCollinsST/status/1322648119411179521

something must have really scared the whole cabinet, as that Owen Jones tweet suggests

Having hospitals collapsing and everyones granny dying at Christmas is the kind of thing governments collapse over.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That sounds great, but what's the context of this? What were people working on that subsequently got destroyed? Why would people want to stop others from going into the woods?

People with houses that back onto woodland get very defensive of other people going into it. Its 'their' woods after all.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

While I don't particularly like supporting the guardian, their app has a notification that is updating in real-time with votes counted and states called, so if you want a lazy option to check on your phone then there's that.

Isnt it going to take 15 days for some stats to declare anyway because they're only allowed 3 people to count all the postal votes?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Americans just fuckin love racism.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is just massively funny really. They're not even flipping the Senate seats.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Trump has just announced they're going to the supreme court to stop all further counting as its a fraud and hes won.

Lmao

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well the reason for Trumps 'we've won the rest is fraud' speech is now becoming apparent. The mail in ballots have overturned a reasonable vote defecit and now have Biden up by 20,000, a swing of nearly 100k ifs Trumps speech figures were to be believed with only heavily democrat leaning areas to come in.

This is also tallying with Wisconsin. If this carries on like this its going to end up in court for sure as he won't concede as he 'won' on election night.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
At 8am this morning Trump had a lead of close to 300,000 in Michigan. its now down to about 12k, all from Postal ballots. At the rate this is going Michigan might still tell him to gently caress off, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Anyone know what Cummings finally did or is Bojo on the way out too?