Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

thespaceinvader posted:

I can understand this. Even I'm starting to get fed up with the level of precautions I'm taking, and I'm probably among the most paranoid regular posters about this stuff - but I'm also panicking about going back into work for like 2 hours tomorrow (probably pointlessly, as they've already acknowledged that they probably don't need me in in person for the foreseeable future).
Yea, I feel like I'm the only one of my friends that isn't going out to pubs again and I'm starting to feel like a bit of a paranoid loon by refusing every single time somebody asks if I want to go out for a drink.

Jose posted:

so ignoring whether or not its a stupid idea is it actually possible for me to get any money from my pension because that £11.5k would be extremely useful rn
According to this educational gif I've just seen you can just crack one out 11.5k times instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Saros posted:

To be entirely honest right now is probably the lowest amount of cases it's going to be for a long time. Again and again around the world opening schools is the single biggest factor in cases taking back off.
Yea, this was my thinking before getting a haircut a couple of weeks ago. I dunno, I guess I sort of don’t really believe that anybody in pubs will be distancing or doing anything differently, perhaps it’s not as bad as I’m imagining

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Really quite surprised they haven’t just blamed the entire population for having poor taste in comedy.

stev posted:

I don't know how people could stand to leave stuff in that carriage, anyone could walk away with anything.

Airport baggage claim areas are the worst too, always makes me anxious.
I take the view that these things work because most people are actually fundamentally decent, the cunts just do massive amounts of overtime to make it seem otherwise.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

communism bitch posted:

Yeah well I've got a Duke paying for mine and I won't have anything to pay back so shove that up your arse lol
I hope this is the husband of your Duchess friend ;-*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My partner’s boss (who previously tried to steal her holiday entitlement) has been ‘encouraging’ everyone back to the office for a while, even though there’s no need for most of them to be there.

Well, today somebody came back positive for Covid so as a result the whole office is shut down and said boss is running off for a Covid test in the middle of his holiday :waycool:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cerv posted:

Pret have taken the standard coffee shop "buy 9 get 1 free" loyalty card to the next level.
Adopting the gym model of a monthly subscription that hopefully you'll keep paying for even when not using.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/04/pret-offers-monthly-subscription-to-boost-post-covid-pandemic-sales
I feel like there's a certain breed of Job Creator who is absolutely kicking themselves that it's taken them this long to realise they can put anything and everything on a subscription service. Like imagine your entire worldview holds landlordism as the ideal end goal and it never occurred to you to just apply the rentier model to all goods and services.

Can't wait until I have to sign up for a three-month sub to get a Greggs steak bake

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I bet people would legitimately pay a disgusting amount of money for a Starbucks Extra subscription which gets you access to the seasonal flavour lattes a week earlier

E: Greggs Premium guarantees you pizza slices not more than 30 minutes old. Primark Plus gives access to larger fitting rooms with no queues. oh christ I can see the future, help

TACD fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 4, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I really want to buy some fudge but I also don’t want to get any fatter :mad:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

knox_harrington posted:

Not saying it's necessarily wise, but the most effective thing is to have a tiny amount of more alcohol. Your body preferentially metabolises ethanol over methanol, and when it's got through all the ethanol starts converting methanol into formaldehyde which is pretty toxic and hard to break down.

A small amount of ethanol reduces the rate that formaldehyde is being produced and stops you feeling so bad.

Side effects: another day wasted, potential alcoholism, etc.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6761819/
This is interesting and does explain why I feel like my hangovers are far worse when I’ve been enjoying whiskey. I’ve actually been moving back to mainly vodka-based drinks for that reason anyway.

Though I know if I really want to avoid hangovers going forward I’m probably just going to have to bite the bullet and start smoking lots more weed instead

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If you’ve not done a big hangover poo yet that usually helps

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sometimes it annoys me that no matter how gut-wrenchingly awful the previous hangover was I’ll forget about it enough to drink again the next time, and then I realise Tory voters work the same way

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ERBS

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

People keep describing things as free when they evidently mean very expensive.
Not free as in beer, free as in you’re free to start your own one if you think you could do better!!!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I asked the Irish girlfriend “have you ever heard of Guinness and blackcurrant” and she looked at me as if I’d asked had she ever heard of chips, so I guess it’s pretty popular over

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Our group’s DIY cocktail was a Purple Nightmare – a shot each of green, red, and blue Aftershock, topped up with a double vodka. That was always a definitive end to the happy hour at the Southampton club we’d go to where a shot and mixer was 50p and you’d come back with change from a tenner :corsair:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Every time I think there’s nothing they can do or say to surprise me, something like this happens and I just have to sit quietly for a couple of minutes

E: lol there’s some good stuff in the article too:

quote:

But taking to the TV studios to defend the government's actions, Ms Villiers argued: "The reality is that there are routine occasions where countries or indeed the EU are in violation of obligations under international law.

”You can see for example, parliament's failure to vote to give prisoners votes. Arguably that is in violation of international law but I don't see people calling the United Kingdom a pariah state because it has failed to abide by that judgment in the European Court of Human Rights."
really love that the tories are now doing a mycrimes.txt on themselves

TACD fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 14, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

starting to get a little worried that the logical extrapolation of this policy suggests that this time next year he’ll be deliberately allowing UK citizens to starve as a ‘genius move’ to force the EU to resume trading with us

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Labyrinthitis is what I claim to have when I have to sit down for a while after looking directly at David Bowie's groin

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

i'm sure this will look great in a few years time
A decade from now the entire Brexit project, from the vote to the negotiations and the fallout yet to come, is going to be entirely Labour's fault in the general public's opinion.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Barry Foster posted:

Aww, I quite like Alan Watts. I do smoke a lot of weed these days though :ohdear:
I think Alan Watts is very good and worth listening to, but IMO the problem with a lot of that type of stuff is the disconnect between the philosophical and the practical. It's easy to listen to something like "the meaning of life is in the journey, not the destination" and find something in it that resonates but translating that into actual, practical actions in the real world of jobs and shopping and children is always left as an exercise for the reader because that part is really difficult.

Personally that's why I find Stoic philosophy appealing because there is a lot of specific, practical advice, including an admonition that if you just talk loftily about Stoic principles without living them (like me lol) then you're not doing Stoicism.

TACD fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 16, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

haha I literally burst out cackling for real when I saw this, good job

peanut- posted:

COVID is going to end up being the dream cover they've been waiting for to facilitate dismantling the NHS isn't it
They've been dismantling the backend of the NHS for years already

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

If you read the article it's basically just encouraging people to call 111 where possible to try and reduce the number of non-emergency attendances to A&E. If you are in a car crash the ambulance isn't going to be turned away because you didn't schedule it in advance and if you show up at the door in immediate need of assistance you aren't going to be bumped by someone with a runny nose who called ahead.
Yea it's yet another thing where if you squint and take the most charitable view you can make an argument for it, but when it meets the real world it's going to end up with people needlessly suffering and possibly dying because they're deprioritised or unable to get properly 'preassessed' over the phone

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

namesake posted:

Never trust a Morris. Morrissey, Van Morrison, Morris Minor, all terrible.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lungboy posted:

There's going to be a lot more testing capacity soon https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1307424336593203202
Is this a real law or just another one of those political constructs?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

It's real in that the cops will hit you with things until you believe it's real.

Possibly political hammers, for to do the political construction with.
ah, the breaking of kneecaps in a limited and specific way

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

happyhippy posted:

You know it might be a good idea if UK news media stopped loving asking random passersby how they feel about restrictions, and instead scold them why the gently caress are they strolling down the promenade of Blackpool licking an ice cream when you could be dead in 10 days due to it.
"Ohhh I am so frustrated about having to stay inside if there is another lockdown, I don't know how I will cope."
I'm reminded of that radio call-in from early lockdown where a woman started off indignantly protesting she had a right to go out and live her life and got blindsided into agreeing that she'd lived long enough and would die for this cause.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/WhoresofYore/status/1304841317206368258

You'd think with a name like that he'd have more than two kids.
Frankly unbelievable that you’d name one kid Willy but sleep on naming the other one Dick.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AFAIK there has yet to be a confirmed case resulting from fomite transmission. I think it’s massive overkill and you shouldn’t feel bad or in danger for not doing it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

blunt posted:

Anybody wanna recommend any sellers? Just looking for nice plain cotton masks in different colours.
We’ve been using these ones from Elle for a few months now. If you pay a quid more you can get them in black instead.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

justcola posted:

One thing about the track and trace app - if say my housemate went to a pub then a day later got a text saying he had been in contact with someone with covid-19 and to self-isolate for 14 days, then I had to self-isolate for 14 days too - would another text then be sent to everyone I had been in contact with (at work for example); if everyone had the app how does the system not just overload by texting person A connected to person B connected to person C etc. ?

I'm guessing it only contacts people who have been in contact within a certain timeframe, but if there was no lockdown and we were all mingling wouldn't the track and trace app propagate similar to a virus and we'd all be isolating anyway?
My understanding is that if person A has tested positive, everybody who's been near them (person B) will get a text. Person C won't get a text until person B gets a confirmed positive test and marks themselves as positive in the app.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Belter. What's the point of self-isolating when you come back from abroad unless you have symptoms then? This is what I mean about mixed messaging, there's no logic to any of this, it's just a hodge podge of bullshit thrown together by assholes who want anyone but them to get the blame for the simultaneous death toll & economic hit. Not having a go at you, you didn't make the rules, but it's such pointless bollocks. What should actually happen is if you come back from abroad you get stuck in a hotel for a fortnight paid by the state like they do in New Zealand but this government are loving garbage
Yea, as long as your intentions are good you’ll get better results just using your best judgement instead of trying to follow the government’s insane rules

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I would like to issue a blanket statement that if I ever appear to say something offensive or embarrassing, then I misspoke and actually intended to say the inoffensive and non-embarrassing version instead. Trying to hold me accountable for any offensive or embarrassing statement is ipso facto libel and/or slander and you'll be hearing from my lawyer.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Starmer is so desperate to be this generation’s Blair I bet he’s already fantasising about all the war crimes he’ll get away with

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

There's really no point in talking about 'what if Labour but good' because we tried that and it failed, and unless you've got a very clear understanding of why it failed and a very precise plan for how to fix it then it'll fail next time too.

Either start a new party or start a movement to make a smaller party (e.g. Green) good instead.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

stev posted:

This is truly gearing up to be the worst thing in television history.

Even worse than the HIGNFY episodes they did on Zoom.
Yea I feel like they’ve been hyping up this show for six months now, it’s going to be a colossal wet fart when it arrives. Nothing actually good gets this much hype.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose posted:

Lol at the New statesman writer hoping to score reef points and getting owned

https://twitter.com/CherylMorgan/status/1308495224923197441?s=19
I misread this as JK Rowling being the interviewee and nearly shat myself when she was described as a ‘philosopher and gender theorist’ oof

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Salford's Lowry Theatre to become Nightingale court

Does anybody else find this deeply, deeply chilling? Like I know at the moment it’s only repurposing a venue rather than outright show trials but it feels like the stage has been set :dadjoke:

Maybe I’m over-excitable today but I can imagine Enemies of England being denounced and sentenced to execution somewhere like this in the near future.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gonzo McFee posted:

What the gently caress does my families prosperity have to do with bombing Syria?
Nothing at all! So it’s extremely suspicious that you won’t let us get on with it!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The problem with Tweetman IMO is not just that she’s always so aggressively and annoyingly stupid but that every time a tweet gets posted it reinforces this modern truth that morons owning themselves get signal boosted over almost everything else. So the dumbest morons get the most profitable gigs with the biggest audiences where the most people can laugh at them, but where a few people will agree with them and either vote for them or spawn off into their own hot take careers like Gremlins getting wet.

I just don’t understand how people can recognise on the one hand that world-class shits like Johnson and Trump got started via TV shows where mocking their idiocy was at least half the point but not also recognise that spending hours boosting lovely tweets is helping to sift for the next generation of even worse people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

If you manage to shoot someone else with a revolver from inside your own arsehole and have them die instead of you I feel like you need some sort of award.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=453KDsPyqZc