Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What the gently caress is the point of Starmer

Edit: this was in regards to PMQs, but i guess is broadly applicable

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"Help help leftists are trying to silence me" I shout, on my multiple TV appearances and interviews.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I noticed there is absolutely bollockloads of Silent Witness on the iPlayer so I've started watching that & it's quite fun. I think it's everything from season 4 onwards? Cheery episode about a helicopter going down in the North Sea.

Best episode is when tall-handsome Doctor has been flirting with a police officer loads, and when they go on a date she gets suddenly taken out by a bus. So he goes back to the office, tells his co-workers that she's dead, and they all sit around having a nice game of cards because they're emotionally crippled from dealing with horrific murders all day.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Miftan posted:

Made it all the way to the Prager cameo before I had to close it. Only about half the things they said could be considered "jokes" meant to make people "laugh" and that's if I was being generous tbh

Hilary Ambivalence Syndrome is pretty good, mostly because they accidentally stumbled into a left-wring critique of Hilary.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

Oh I know it's not Legal.
More that this was the best justification that the AG (whose job is to be the Government's Lawyer to give.) could give.

It's a stunningly bad description of what Duality for National/International Law means.

Like this is some "Wesley Snipe's Accountant" level of wrong.

I have the legal knowledge of a pigeon, what's so bad about their description?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

So the commonly accepted notion of Dualism is that you have National Law and International Law. International Law by itself has no use at a practical level, so it is incumbent on the country to translate International Law into National Law.

Basically when a country signs up to an International treaty (or even EU treaties) then the country has to create a version of that law in their own statue books. If existing National Law contradicts the National Law, then you amend the National Law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monism_and_dualism_in_international_law

But the UK'S Attorney General is too Brave(rman) to accept this.

In her announcement she has side "Dualism. That's where you have International Law, right. And you have National Law, right.
Two strands of Law. And dual means two.
Jobs done.
Only we like National Law more than the International Law so we are just going with that one over International Law. It's got too many foreigners in it."

It's essentially what would happen if you asked a student to define Dualism and they started waffling because they had no clue what the question meant.

Here is the Professor of Law at Cambridge explaining why what she says is bollocks. Only he is being far kinder in his language than I would be.

https://twitter.com/ProfMarkElliott/status/1304076133827309569?s=19

Ahhh, thanks.

Now that I understand it: ahaha lol what a dumb-dumb

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Then again the US also had a go at Adele for dressing up for some kind of virtual Caribbean carnival event and accused her of cultural appropriation, which led to a bunch of Jamaican and Black British people responding that Carnival is for everyone as long as they're participating in the spirit, and it's not loving blackface, so there's obviously some very different debates going on there.

Did this happen beyond the half-dozen nobodies on twitter that the press searched up and ran stories about? Same as the calls to cancel Rick and Morty, to cancel Gavin and Stacy, and pretty much every PC outrage story ever.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It was a huge debate between UK Black Twitter and US Black Twitter, Emma Dabiri and David Lammy ended up joining in.

Okay thats actually pretty sizable. Maybe it wasnt quite as artificial as I thought

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Neither of these viewpoints answers why the company does not have a copy of the plans or legal documentation for the building they manslaughtered over 70 people in.

Surely there must be something massively incriminating in there if the company thinks "oh we're fundamentally incompetent and have no records" is a better alternative.

Or they think they can pin everything on this one guy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dogatron posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/16/extinction-rebellion-go-floppy-when-arrested-complains-senior-met-officer

This aint new. My old man sent me this and he remembered CND protesters being given the same advice in the 60s.

My step mum said they were advised to the same thing at Greehnham.

I liked a rather more robust response in my demonstrating days in the 90s and 00s .

It's pretty small-scale praxis, but I absolutely love this. Make a show of being non-violent, waste loads of coppers time and make em look like clowns.

This brings the number of good ideas XR has had up to....two.

(the first good idea was the name)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Imagine anyone who isn't this loving posh being praised for supporting "4 out of 6 children"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kecske posted:

I am prepared.

You're also gonna drown the next time it rains.

Our political class is obsessed with the idea that being willing to incinerate hundreds of thousands of people is the mark of a true leader, but under the logic of MAD isn't this kind of the right answer? You can't say you'll never use them because then whats the point in having them, but if you say "oh yeah I'll totally use em, and i'll strike first" like May did just encoruages your hypothetical enemies to nuke you first. The only appropriate response is "maaaaaaaybe" and to wiggle your eyebrows.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cerv posted:

Here's What Happened When I 'Outed' Myself as Tim Martin's Son

What started as a laugh at British media nepotism quickly became a furious pile-on that revealed a predictability at the heart of social media.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/v7gwd9/heres-what-happened-when-i-outed-myself-as-tim-martins-son

anyone from the UKMT get quoted?

It would be less shameful if he were Tim Martins' son.

Jesus christ the state of this.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There's probably some fancy cinematography term for this, but why is the camera always moving in the opposite direction to the action? Every time the dwarves are going down the waterfall the camera shoots up, if they're being washed away right the camera lazily bobs left. It feels half-drunk.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That is so me, I hate when you're forced to choose This or That because usually It Depends.

Eg: do you tell a friend that shirt is hideous?

Friend picks up hideous shirt in shop and hasn't paid: I grimace and say yuck.

Friend disappears in shop and reappears with paid-for hideous shirt: I try to smile and say, yes that will go well with that blue scarf (which happens to cover her entire top half).

Subclass 190
Skilled Nominated visa
This visa lets nominated skilled workers live and work in Australia as permanent residents.

"I make decisions quickly"
> It Depends

Edit: "It Depends" was the much less successful sequel to "It Follows" about sexually transmitted indecision.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 7, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Borrovan posted:

The Pratchett thing looks fine imo, not a lot of dialogue in the trailer so it looks like it could turn out just embarrassing, but it's explicitly a "reimagining", of course they've hosed with everything unrecognisably, that was the point. Pratchett doesn't work well on screen anyway so I don't see the problem of trying to do something different :shrug:

For all the stuff they gently caress with, they nail a lot. Female-Vetinari was pretty good, Angua has great weary-cop energy, Cheery looks great etc. I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This seems a relevant time to ask: is there a good summary of the actual content of the various Brexit agreements that have been floated, scuppered, re-floated, overn-packacked and finally taken out back and shot?

I think I'm faily political aware, and I can't keep track of what's actually going on beyond theb kacground of "traitors! EU refuses to budge (on things we may have already agreed)"so I'm not going to blame Brexiteers for agreeing with it un-critically.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TheRat posted:

Aren't most actual SUVs pretty much designed to kill other people in traffic in an effort to keep you marginally safer?

I think about this whenever conversations about self-driving cars come up. There'll be papers in AI and philosophy journals about oooh the ethical complications of a car that has to choose whether to swerve to avoid the pedestrian or ensure that the driver is never at risk of injury. But those decisions are already being made! They're just baked in to the design of the car rather than the logic of the computer.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Borrovan posted:

I clicked on this & it showed me this other very thread-relevant tweet:
https://mobile.twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1321029520980324353
Just gonna go right out & say it, swap that shite underneath for something resembling curry & yeh I would definitely eat that fascist mess

And have the curry for pudding if I was still hungry

They look a little too cooked for my tastes, but that's a moderately competent poached egg at least.

Did Loomer have an almost identical awful-meal-but-competent-poached-egg picture a few weeks back? Is this some weird signal? Are poached eggs the new ok sign?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ban cars except for people with mobility issues. Swamp the streets with free buses and cycle lanes instead. Vans are permissible for tradespersons, and can be hired at a price that's low enough that people can afford one for a day or two (e.g. to move house) but unfeasible for long hirings.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Who was the dude who sat on all the antisemitism reports and then had a go at labour for not doing enough to deal with them?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Sam Matthews?

That's the bastard!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And what the gently caress is so bad about that that he should have to retract it? I guess it's the 'overstated' bit. Which it was, overstated.

This bit:

quote:

“One antisemite is one too many, but the scale of the problem was also dramatically overstated for political reasons by our opponents inside and outside the party, as well as by much of the media. That combination hurt Jewish people and must never be repeated.

Lets ignore Sam Matthews blaming Labour for him not doing his loving job, or uh...whatsherface reporting 200 people for antisemtism, 90% of whom weren't labour members.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcnickrobinson/status/1322597130566029312?s=19

Lol he's aff his nut on spiked Bolivian nose candy and hiding in the downstairs toilet.

If they're cramming it into a few hours then how was it possible to leak it yesterday?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

They're getting closer, but somehow even more wrong:
https://twitter.com/AmazonHelp/status/1327684697938407428

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How do you take a report that was saying "B-, must try harder" and turn it into a clusterfuck that occupies multiple news cycles weeks apart?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mebh posted:

I went through a really weird period as a pre teen wanting to be called Nick. "Hi my name is Sam, call me Nick" . No memory why. Then I asked my mum if I could change my name to Jesus apparently. She was nonplussed.

Yes, but how did she react?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gwaint posted:

I get irritated when I'm on reddit, someone posts a comment, the reply to that is asking for more information, and the reply to that is from someone else. Like here's a crappy example to highlight the point:
"In my opinion X game is better than Y game"
"Interesting opinion, what leads you to that conclusion?"
"Well for these reasons blah blah blah" - hold on, nobody asked you, the question was for the OP of that particular thread, don't butt in and answer the question like it was directed at you.

Yes I know this is stupid to get wound up about but there you go.

r/atheism is spectacularly self-congratulatory. Just an endless circle jerk of "christians are so loving dumb" "yup"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jose posted:

What a waste of 100k

What a waste of a 10ft plinth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm trying to be more patient with people these days but dear lord, I cannot possibly in good faith believe that an apparently functional human adult with a brain can be this wilfully stupid on so many levels at once.

"compliance is violence" i assume is him riffing on "silence is violence". It's got to be a deliberate part of his schitck of dropping loads of racist dogwhistles and the acting like the PC woke brigade are coming after him despite him being totally not racist at all, no racism here.