Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, the genie's out of the bottle here: after 6 months of this, it's utterly undeniable that for a huge swathe of the population, there's absolutely no need for them to be in the office every day and that can't be wished away again.

The Tories and their mates in the press can demand that we all get back to 'normal' as much as they want but businesses will make the decisions that are best for them: crucially, managers aren't scared of having staff work from home any more and can see how their companies can save money by allowing it.
Actually,
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1299748424313602049?s=19

(full article is here but paywall and lol if i'm paying to read Rentoul)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Angepain posted:

No, the diagram clearly shows the cranking producing $. you'd have to crank one out approximately 15,400 times
that's quite a strong pound

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

OwlFancier posted:

"If you stopped buying avocado toast you could afford a house."

"People stopped buying avocado toast and it's apparently killing the economy?"
a finger on the monkey's paw curls. millenials save money by no longer going into the office, thereby no longer eating avocado toast. with businesses no longer needing the large office blocks, the price of property in the city centres comes crashing down, and the landlords, desperate to save their investment, convert all the old offices into cheap and lovely flats, which millenials can now afford. occasionally, a lucky prudent millenial (with rich parents) will be able to buy an old Starbucks and convert it into a house.

creative destruction has struck again

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
ed: a very mean bird

ooh la de da, look at me with my fancy sauce and mushy peas in their own separate pots instead of smeared all over the plate and running into each other. gently caress you

CoolCab posted:

how many of us are retreating back to academia lol
another one here, going to try for a PhD; currently waiting to see if the university might accept me as January-starting Graduate TA rather than waiting for next year's intake (almost certainly not, but worth a try)

also need a topic and funding, but details details

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 2, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Gort posted:

unless you wankers tweet about them, I guess
Marketing departments have cottoned on to the Tory trick of making adverts so poo poo that people share them widely for mockery

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

XMNN posted:

I wonder if they'll ever remember that the covid threat level existed
We're currently at

🌶🌶🌶 - A mouth-tingling sensation!!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
"our electors" presumably not being anyone who actually responded to their language and voted for them in the last two elections

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, I assume we do all understand why the EU is trying to be so decorous and courteous in the Brexit negotiations, and why it's trying to give the UK every possible concession and every possible out, yes? It's reputation-laundering for what comes next. The iron laws of international commerce require large economies to retain and secure their power by grinding smaller, weaker economies into submission, and they want to minimise the number of important people who object when they begin showing Britain - or possibly just England - its new place.

Capitalism is the organisation of society by competition for power, and we're picking a fight with our most powerful neighbour. They need to make us look like the bad guys so that as much as possible of the rest of the world will look the other way while they stomp us into the ground.
look, Boris and co. have a nice big toybox to play with, just like they always wanted, and if the price for their fun is our lives, then i for one am ecstatic to be ground into paste while they walk away with no personal consequences whatsoever

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

serious gaylord posted:

Ed just murdered the Pm on live tele.
Ed's going to get asked to resign from the shadow cabinet, he's being insufficiently comradely at this time of great crisis

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's autumn, they're grabbing everything they can while they can.

Speaking of, I've started noticing gaps in the bog roll shelves.
oh no :ohdear:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Out of curiosity, I had a bit of a look at the stats; looks like the most-furloughed by quite some way are

1) Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation
2) Accomodation and Food Services

with Administrative and Support Service Activities, Construction, Manufacturing, Real Estate, and Transportation and Storage all jockeying around below that at various times. IT, Professional Scientific & Tech, and Education unsurprisingly seem to be the most remote-working.

(from ONS - Coronavirus and the economic impacts on the UK: 10 September 2020 and its predecessors; the formatting is different in each which is a bit poo poo for comparisons)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Peston astonished, astonished, to find that the No. 10 spokesperson has both stolen his nose and pulled a penny from behind his ear

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s a misleading headline. If you read the article it’s more about the Tories spunking shitloads of cash on poo poo like the track and trace app that goes nowhere. I.e. it’s a competence thing, and she then proposes more (better) spending.

quote:

She unveiled proposals for a jobs recovery scheme targeted at sectors that have been closed or on reduced capacity because of social distancing rules.

In a bid to stem job losses, she also called for £3bn in funding to be brought forward to retrain the unemployed or those at risk of losing their jobs.

She urged ministers to provide additional support to viable but indebted firms due to start repaying government loans from next spring.

And she vowed to "restore trust" with the private sector, adding that she understands the "critical role business plays in creating jobs".

"Recover jobs, retrain workers and rebuild business. Three steps to a better, more secure future," she said.

"This is an ambitious Labour vision - where security and fairness aren't just aspirations, but where they are a reality for families and communities across our country."
Is there a full recording of this anywhere? Most of this makes sense from the point of supporting businesses during a demand crisis, but I'm not sure why retraining comes into it. The level of worker training doesn't really reflect what the problems are, increasing worker skill doesn't stimulate the economy if those skilled jobs don't exist due to a lack of demand, and having more skilled workers at a time when the economy's tanked would probably just lead to a decrease in wages for those skills.

(Although if I was a business owner, I would absolutely tell any political party about how there just weren't enough skilled workers, oh no! in the hope of reducing my costs and risk by getting government to pay for everything)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Lungboy posted:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1308090040329830402?s=19

Whitty was saying this morning we can't afford to be too weak with our measures but by this afternoon it's become a pointless pub closure and crossed fingers.
tough on covid, tough on the causes of covid

also "circuit break" is a dreadful phrase, it suggests an immediate stop in the event of lockdown, should be more like "push kind of hardish on the brakes and hope we don't skid through the guard rail"

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
remembering the formula, that

we see that with R = 1.4, and 2.6 infections, which our data collectors tell us we've just reached, the alert level must be 4. simple, really

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 21, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Cool new slogan coming out from the Labour Party

quote:

Recover. Retrain. Rebuild.
(ed: to give them credit, at least these are 3 different words this time.)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
The details, such as they are

Recover posted:

Labour is calling for a Job Recovery Scheme to give businesses and workers much-needed certainty

It would enable businesses in key sectors to bring back more staff on reduced hours, with government subsidising a proportion of wages for the rest of the working week

Employers would be incentivised to offer their staff high-quality training

Unlike the Tories’ scheme, it wouldn’t just be a blank cheque – support would go to decent businesses that treat their workers well

Retrain posted:

We are calling for a nationwide Retraining Strategy for the unemployed and those facing unemployment

The strategy should help those whose hours have been cut to increase their skills or to retrain in a new field

It should enable people who have lost their jobs to transition into new work

It must also build up capacity in adult education and the JobCentre Plus network, after years of neglect. Otherwise, those people who want to retrain won’t be able to access the opportunities they desperately need

To achieve this, the government must bring forward the £3 billion which the Chancellor has earmarked for a National Skills Fund, so that money can be put to use right now, when it is most needed

Rebuild posted:

The government must introduce a Business Rebuilding Programme without delay

The programme would do for businesses with debt what we’ve repeatedly asked the Chancellor to do for workers whose jobs are at risk

The programme needs to be set in train now to give businesses the certainty they crave and so we don’t end up once again with last-minute panicked schemes that waste public money

Any programme must be targeted, so that support goes to responsible businesses that are going to invest for the future – including meeting our net-zero target
Nothing actively bad from a capitalism-management perspective, but not really any useful details, and still no indication of how retraining helps people get a job in a demand-hosed economy, since the best this set of ideas can do is stop further collapse. I eagerly* await information on how this would be put into practice.

also, they're naming the Conservative spending record during the pandemic the "Tories' File Of Failure"

* with resignation

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
[furiously injecting spice, snorting spice, and smoking spice, all at once]

1, 2, 3

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Kernel Monsoon posted:

Here's my gift for the thread. Should get some use out of this one.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Charles Moore wiki page posted:

In the aftermath of the 1981 Brixton riot Moore interviewed elderly white residents of Lambeth on their experience of crime, the police, immigration and politics.[10] Moore wrote: "The native population of Lambeth feels little natural sympathy with the West Indian arrivals. Without having any arrogant or dogmatic theory of racial superiority, the old people of Lambeth can see with their own eyes that they are surrounded by people more primitive than they, who lack their respect for law and privacy".
Moore was a critic of David Cameron's Conservative Party modernisation strategy, that he stated embraced "subjects which they had previously ceded to the Left, like health, welfare, the environment and schools", which he believed had supported the interests of government organisations rather than that of the consumer. In particular, Moore has been critical of the National Health Service, which he considers "a terrible organisation".[23][24]
In August 2015, Moore received media attention and criticism after he wrote an article for The Spectator about the 2015 Labour Party leadership election, titled "Have Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall got the looks for a leadership contest?", in which he wrote "there is an understanding that no leader—especially, despite the age of equality, a woman—can look grotesque on television and win a general election" and discussed the looks of the two female candidates in detail.
In April 2017 he authored an article for the Telegraph which advocated "a bonfire of green regulations" and a return to fossil fuels to improve the British economy after Brexit.[34]
In August 2019 he was criticised for suggesting that Olivia Colman had a "distinctly leftwing face" which cast a doubt in his mind on her ability to play the role of the Queen in the upcoming new season of The Crown.[35]
words fail me. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
No no, the "inhumane" is a reference to the effect on the taxpayers; he knows the great British people despise taxes at best of times and would have strokes and aneurysms if they found out their hard-earned money was being spent on treating asylum seekers to an island vacation. Bless him, he's always thinking of us.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Keir seen here cosplaying as Labour's next election result: Sub Zero

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Tanith posted:

Sub Keiro finishes with "banality"
stolen shamelessly

Guavanaut posted:

If you have a GameGenie you can unlock the Trilateral Commission and play him as Reptile.
:golfclap: that one took me a second :v:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Julio Cruz posted:

trying to make a "friendship/forensic" joke but I'm just not funny enough
Starmer doing a friendship on a defeated Tory, although that implies he can beat them

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Gonzo McFee posted:

That Matt Forde book "Politically Homeless" looks utterly poo poo, surprising given his endorsements from Tony Blair, JK Rowling and that oval office fae pointless.

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1315471733131018242
hey Matt, you can stop searching, I've found you your political home

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Speculation time: I wonder if the right proposed her, expecting to be bargained down to some preferred candidate who was still on the right but not so obvious, and then she got picked anyway. Alternatively, that she was picked precisely because the membership would (legitimately) complain, and then their preferred candidate could be sneaked in as a compromise.

Then this decision seems like a good way to appear responsive to the concerns of the membership while still maintaining Unity™, because whoever they propose next is probably still going to be on the centre or right (or the right can and will kick up a fuss in the media over Legitimate Concerns being ignored and Trotskyite Corbynistas still controlling the party), but less obviously so, and further complaints from the left can be met with "why aren't you willing to compromise? see, these lefties, all about the purity politics"

again, this is all wild speculation and is probably wrong, maybe my mental model of how this stuff works is dogshit :v: let's see!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
when you think about it, being dead, and thus maintaining a continuous 2-minute silence, is the most respectful thing possible

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Barry Foster posted:

Sorry, I do feel I've divebombed on this thread with misery. It's been a poo poo day for everyone. Please take care, I really do love y'all. Slainte

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

jabby posted:

Guardian appears to confirm suspicions that suspending Corbyn was bad for everybody and both Corbyn and Starmer want it to go away.
sounds like interference in the disciplinary process from the LOTO to me! along with the bit where the NEC are saying that Keith signed off on the suspension. and yet, the EHRC report was very specific about this kind of interference being bad. strange that Keith would ignore this

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

mediaphage posted:

oh i see you read /r/carnivore

edit: this is the worst snipe, here's my adorable bird

definitely adorable :3:

Regarde Aduck posted:

Fwiw, downing st wouwd pwefew thawt the month-wong new nationaw measuwes fow engwand, as wisted bewow, awe neithew cawwed “a wockdown” ow “tiew 4”. They see thewm as “tough new nationaw measuwes” with “exit bawck tuwu wegionaw tiews”. I thought you’d wawnt tuwu know
Good news! The twitter account name @wobewtpeston is free!

ed: new page

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 31, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/11/13/dominiccummings-exits-number-10-parting-shot-boris-johnson/

quote:

After Mr Cummings resigned on Thursday evening, allies had complained of "dithering" by Mr Johnson, saying they had to go round him to Mr Gove to get decisions made.

They are also known to have spread rumours that Mr Johnson had lost his powers of concentration after being hospitalised with coronavirus earlier in the year, and that Ms Symonds "bombards" him with texts setting out her opinions on policy up to 25 times per hour.

Sources said Mr Johnson was particularly riled by newspaper reports of Ms Symonds being referred to by nicknames including "Princess nut nuts" by Cummings loyalists.

Sources loyal to the Prime Minister accused Mr Cummings of "trying to blame everyone but himself" for his demise, saying his complaints of dithering by Mr Johnson were simply "the occasions when the PM won't do what he wants him to".
my brain is melting. i hope that when it has finished melting, the world looks good again

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/12/carries-crew-sees-brexit-boys-boy/

quote:

The Telegraph has been told that so-called "Brexit Boys" working inside Government under the control of Mr Cummings and Mr Cain had taken to calling Ms Symonds "Princess Nut Nuts" behind her back.

A source said she was labelled a "princess" for allegedly being high maintenance and acting regally. The first "nut", according to the source, alluded to her being "crazy" – there is no evidence for that – while the second "nuts" reference comes from a belief among the "Brexit Boys" clique that she bears some facial similarity to a squirrel.

A Number 10 spokesman said: "These are malicious allegations which are totally untrue."
could someone please give me the ol' Trotsky Treatment; i no longer want a cerebral cortex

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Mebh posted:

So with the whole mrs nut nuts thing...

Did I miss an entire section of stupid poo poo? Last I read boris had a kid and his wife is just... His wife.

The last I read about Cummings was Barnard castle
and boris tanking his capital to defend him.

Has some major weird story been going on about his wife pulling his strings and now some weird petty drama about Cummings trying to backstab him? What actually has happened?
Either the whole story is a plant designed to distract attention from whatever actually happened, or this country is extraordinarily dysfunctional and cursed by God. Maybe both, who can say?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

happyhippy posted:

But instead of the Prom at the end (Brexit) crowning Johnson as Prom King, it's going to end up like Carrie.
also known by its alternative title, Princess Nut Nuts

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

WhatEvil posted:

This guy is 1/3 of what could be called the most prominent leftist non-print media org in the UK.

gently caress's sake.
"class war social democrat", although I see he's downgraded to "class struggle social democrat" since Starmer won the leadership. Looking forward to "class sensible discussion social democrat" if Starmer wins in 2024

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

WhatEvil posted:

Unhinged poo poo from Gabriel Milland after Moore's departure from the Graun:

https://twitter.com/gabrielmilland/status/1328383483631296512?s=20

(He's talking about Owen Jones)
i'm no expert on racism, but, well, isn't this a bit iffy, and posted by him only a few hours ago
https://twitter.com/gabrielmilland/status/1328326571862728704

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
The press only treated Corbyn in the best of faith

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Disnesquick posted:

1984 convinced me that the mind control would be subtle and delicate: Individual changes in specific wordings across every piece of archived misinformation but nope, turns out dumb and stupid works just as well because all people really want is an excuse to kick down, no matter how flimsy.
Quantity has a quality all its own, and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

forkboy84 posted:

If politics is just going to be virtue signalling then at some point it stops being politics & is something like the worlds dullest reality TV show. If he wore the right jacket they'd have attacked him for not bowing properly. If he bowed properly they'd find some other irrelevancy to attack him for because that's what happened consistently for 4 years.
Just to add to this, Ed Miliband played the game, and became Ed "Two Kitchens Elite whose Marxist Dad hated Britain, also he can't eat a bacon sandwich properly" Miliband