Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

History of Fritters

The Roman scriblita, described by Cato in the 2nd century bc, was probably a precursor of both fritters and doughnuts. Lumps of a moist dough (leavened with sourdough) were spooned into hot fat, and allowed to stream in random shapes. Medieval ‘cryspeys’ were described in the Harleian MS of 1430; a liquid yeast batter using the whites of eggs only was run down the cook’s fingers so that five narrow streams entered the hot oil, where they set into a tangle. They were served sprinkled with sugar. The modern Indian jalebi also uses a streaming method to form spirals.

Most medical writers considered that fritters were indigestible, but they were too good to refuse and have been popular ever since. They appeared regularly in menus, usually as part of the last course. C. Anne Wilson (1973) quotes John Russell, who observed that ‘apple fritter is good hot, but the cold ye [should] not touch’. Apple fritters have remained consistently popular through the ages. Other fruits, small pieces of meat or fish, slices of root vegetables (parsnip and skirret were much liked for their sweet flavour), almonds, small balls of mixed herbs, pieces of fresh curd, and fragrant flowers were all used for fritters in the medieval kitchen. A 14th-century recipe used apple blossom mixed with white breadcrumbs and egg yolks, white wine and spices. In the 17th century herb fritters developed into delicate small fritters of individual leaves or pieces of leaves. Spinach, lettuce, and vine leaves were also used. Flower and leaf fritters survive, for example in Italy, where zucchini flowers and small young globe artichokes are dipped in batter and deep fried.

Most medieval fritters were yeasted with ale-barm, the froth on the fermenting drink. This continued to be added to batter until, at the beginning of the 18th century, it was realized that a better lift could be produced by separating the egg whites, beating them, and folding them back in.

Medieval batters for sweet fritters, like those for pancakes, contained wine or ale, sometimes cream, and more eggs than are usual today. Choux paste mixtures were in use for making fritters in France by the end of the 16th century. New varieties of fritter introduced in the 18th century were of flavoured ground rice; a thin type in the shape of a true lover’s knot (as in a pretzel) was piped with a forcing bag. This shape survives in the old French bugne and the American cruller.

from The Oxford Companion to Food by Alan Davidson (2014).

So it doesn't seem that flour in hot oil was the novelty. My guess is that consuming a massively expensive steak of fish as, well, a huge battered steak all on its own, rather than stuffing it with fruit and herbs and other contrasting flavours, would have been regarded by someone in the 15th century rather like how we would regard someone today eating a Kobe steak well-done and coated with ketchup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I agree with most of your post but on this last bit: organising work is less intrinsically meaningful than doing work. If I build a cabinet I have the sense of achievement that comes with a job well done. If I’m in charge of A B and C who build cabinets where is that sense of achievement supposed to come from? If they’re good enough they did it themselves and if they’re poo poo enough that wood flinches from their grasp then it’s just my fault now they are poo poo. The only place I as a manager add any value is if they’re in the sweet spot of good enough to learn and bad enough not to know it all already. This is a good model for a lot of skill based jobs but not all.

I suppose there’s a hypothetical species of mentor aliens who don’t need to have done anything but get their entire sense of self worth from developing others. But that’s not us.

So we pay people more if they can manage well because (A) it’s not a very fun thing to do; and (B) when you layer that on top of not everyone being able to do it well, it’s a small pool.

That’s the bit that makes sense, then capitalism gives us “everyone who is a manager is paid well because otherwise it would embarrass the bad ones and we have to care about that because they are Real People” which only works due to certain assumptions about who constitutes a Real Person.

it's not unknown; in e.g. facilities the staff manager is often less well-paid than the tradespeople on the ground

still, it's not going to be common because, generally speaking, an organisation exists because it's not two or more smaller organisations instead. In cases where management is 'easy' or at least easier in some sense than maintaining the internal command economy that exists within any company, the logical endpoint is that the manager-subordinate relationship becomes a client-vendor relationship

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the PRC is still too rural; urbanization is to be expected. Natural migration has not ended - instead, the dynamic is that the social problems created by maintaining a large number of undocumented migrants have grown too intolerable, and measures to end it by forcing them back to the farms have not succeeded. Illegal rural-to-urban internal migrants in China number in the hundreds of millions; arguing that it has dried up is patent nonsense

the main news is the acceptance that the hukou system has to end and the existing cities have to be resourced to explode in population and density, rather than telling the existing periphery areas to wait their turn. The choice is not whether to urbanise or not - urbanisation continues to be a "pull" factor, not "push" factor*, with people willing to take massive risks to work illicitly in larger cities - but where and when the urbanisation will happen first

* the rural-enclosure narrative of British industrialization is probably also wrong, fwiw - even the pessimist case is reduced to arguing that the improvement in welfare through urbanisation is not as large rather than actually negative

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 18, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think the hukou permit system was used as a means to deny workers health care while forcing them to live and work in the cities and so they would not have to spend money on expanding the health care and other infrastructure to match the increased need.

If they really wanted to help people in the rural areas IMO they could've spent some money on infrastructure and education where they where living, instead of doing stuff like building ghost cities. This made me wonder if they're trying to make people move into those places, or if they want them as fuel for their existing factory hubs / just a way to depress wages.

well, they are

China's a big place, highways and infrastructure take years to build. Both the West and the Northeast are in catch-up mode right now - the underdeveloped West and the overdeveloped, rust-belt Northeast alike. Although modern China has grown very rapidly, it's worth remembering that Deng opened up China in 1978. That's four decades ago now. The boom times took two decades to set in. Things take time.

in the meanwhile, a few hundred million people are unwilling to be told to wait another generation for development to come to them, when they could move right now to the cities that opened up a generation ago

it's economic migration in the same way that should be familiar to Western countries

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Venomous posted:

at what point was hardcore Thatcherism inevitable? When Thatcher became Tory leader in 1975, or what?

Like, I know that Keynesianism was pretty much dead by the time Thatcher came into power, and if Labour had somehow won a majority they would have iirc shifted towards more of an ordoliberal social market economy, but I can't help feeling that Thatcherism would have come about anyway at some point after 1975, even if she was booted out after losing in 1979.

I dunno. This could have all been avoided, but I don't know how.

The hope for tripartite ordoliberalism in the UK died before Keynesianism itself did, I would say - the old system's method of managing inflation rested on viewing it in terms of the wage-price spiral instead of interest rates. The third leg of the tripartite system died first, with the inability of the government - Callaghan - to enforce his inflation targets on the other two legs: on labour engaging in highest-in-Western-Europe levels of industrial action, and conversely business willingness to pay wages above the inflation target in order to resolve it

The period of extreme UK labour militancy outlasted it - there was never going to be a pleasant resolution; under Callaghan the dynamic shifted to a labour militancy that was capable of holding the country hostage and fully conscious of this strategy of doing so, via the UK's critical dependence on coal to survive each winter - and yet not capable of actually commanding electoral support outside of holding that threat over the country. The mistake is thinking that a majority antipathy to union militancy was something created by Thatcherism rather than preceding it by nearly a decade, with voters only rather grudgingly giving up on hope for Labour to successfully tame the beast

There is probably an alternate universe where Tony Crosland erases Clause IV thirty years ahead of time, In Place of Strife triumphs, and the UK Labour party reorients around ordoliberalism before the oil crisis, stagflation, and deindustrialization - the same pressures that every Western country would face - really put social democracy to the test.

This is one of those flaws of FPTP - a more proportional system would have pushed the left of the party to continually and gradually rationalise compromises, as e.g. the Dutch Labour Party (PvdA) of den Uyl did over time, despite moving from a position far more left-wing than the its UK counterpart and successfully managing to expel its moderates to other parties in the 1960s. By the 1990s the PvdA is no less neoliberal than other social democratic parties around the world, but organised labour did not have to brutally burn half its bridges for the transition to be accepted with grace

ronya fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 19, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Oh dear me posted:

Only Labour governments are seriously blamed for recessions. 1980-1, Thatcher: re-elected. 1990-1, Major: re-elected.

Wilson also survived the mid-1970s recession, at least initially

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it's based off the German flexible-time scheme, which is well-established

it is necessarily the case that this will hold:

peanut- posted:

The maths of it for a company seem to be:
- Pay 165% of a full time salary for 3 members of staff to work 33% of their hours
- Pay 100% of a full time salary for 1 member of staff to work 100% of their hours, and sack the other two

I don't understand it at all

because the policy intention is not to subsidize employing people who were not previously employed, or who would be permanently retrenched by the crisis anyway. The company must still want to retain the same people after the crisis subsides (paying that 65% premium); it is saving the cost of having to search for and replace people after the crisis ends. Nothing will be done about the shock itself; it is the excessive knock-on costs of responding to the shock that the policy will mitigate

the main beneficiaries are skilled workers in organizations where a great deal of their productivity comes from intangible cohesion, culture, whatever, rather than raw hours put in. These would be permanently lost if large portions of people are retrenched and never return to the labour force (so the counterfactual goes), whereas lowering pay temporarily across-the-board would retain participation in the long-term

if you want to poke at the ideological roots, there is perhaps a distinctly neoliberal outlook here in the form of 1) crises as temporary aberrations, and 2) policy mainly targeted at correcting market failures in responding to the aberration. You can taste the New Keynesianism in the policy focus on welfare costs measured in turnover 'search costs' and policy levers focused on cost-of-labour flexibility

(the traditional UK equivalent of the same ideological vision, fwiw, is to let organizations die and instead subsidize the employee in job search after the crisis; post-Hartz Germany has much more austere Jobseeker's Allowance equivalents)

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 24, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
parallel universe Corbyn has a coalition government, mind you, given the numbers

you can tune into Spanish politics right now for a sample of the PSOE-Podemos coalition govt fending off the right

if that experience is any indication, the SNP would be similarly putting any showdown plans on hold (reading, likely correctly, that a showdown amidst a crisis would be negatively perceived) and thus being mainly preoccupied by internal dissent over this course. Farage would be playing the equivalent of Vox in fomenting anti-mask paranoia, and the Tories would be happily playing along by darkly hinting that, well, maybe they don't really endorse that kind of ugly talk but where there's smoke there's fire y'know

permitting mass protests would be a much bigger political football (as it is in Spain) but it would still largely be intelligentsia fodder

ronya fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 26, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Late Victorian Holocausts is what you're after. You will never read a UK newspaper the same since theyr all in it and demanding the blood gates remain open in a very familiar way.

Also From the Ruins of Empire is good, its about how hosed the East got and how it began to internalise the racial inferiority rhetoric but then overcame that and threw off the colonisers.

in mildly amusing trivia: Pankaj Mishra (From the Ruins of Empire) is David Cameron's cousin-in-law

a point of caution when reading theoretically anti-imperialist material today - a great amount of the writing coming out of China and India (especially India) is emerging from the nationalist right-wing. Mishra predates that trend however.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the switch to selling it as "Australia-style" since September indicates that folks are regarding what used to be described as "crashing out" or "no deal" to be increasingly likely

(as a step down from Canada, which has a comprehensive trade agreement with the EU)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the Irish American voting bloc is no longer quite the titan it once was, but it remains influential in the US Democratic Party; the leading candidate Joe Biden is known to bring up his Irish roots

US diplomatic pressure to force the UK to 'come to terms' might be decisive in December

we'll see

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'd genuinely like to read some decent analysis about what it is in British culture that makes us so utter dogshit cowardly as a people. I can't even begin to imagine how bad things would have to get before we'd see mass civil unrest, and even then you'd have a solid half of the population clutching their pearls at the scary rioters.

one could point to the relatively high strength of British civil society in a Tocquevillean sense undermining the attractiveness of violence - this being e.g. illustrated in Britain's relatively slow embrace of universal suffrage compared to France, and conversely greater acceptance of plural associations (albeit in an imperial, hierarchical sense)

this is more of a grand-sweep thesis though

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Paul.Power posted:

What's a plural association? Google isn't being particularly helpful.

organisations of of people - e.g. resident groups, rotary clubs, friends of x associations, interest groups, hobby groups - that voluntarily come together (associate) to pursue whatever common interests (rather than e.g. existing by statute or church/state sponsorship)

whilst also allowing their members to freely join, leave, and remain members of other groups (plural), rather than e.g. asserting that a right/responsibility to subsume all interests or all conflicts under its umbrella

specifically France resisted e.g. the free press and trade unionism until relatively late in the Third Republic as compared to Victorian Britain, and the right to freely associate a non-profit grouping was not granted until the 1901 Law of Associations. Conversely it granted free suffrage without property requirements much earlier (which had to wait in Britain until 1918)

(the Tocquevillean outlook on civil society is an interesting vein of thought in the literature, not HARD HISTORICAL-MATERIALIST FACT (OF HISTORY), mind you. It also doesn't really explain anything. But it's the funhouse-mirror inversion of the traditional left-wing critique of liberal society - it's entertaining to juggle both outlooks in one's head)

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 12, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
"end of October" is the current ever-mobile target; I don't know if anyone can quite take it seriously at this point

it seems likely that the media focus will be on US election coverage at that point however

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it's less than 24 hours since Johnson announced the three-tier system...

probably the view from inside LOTO is that Johnson is likely to face a ferocious backbench rebellion from anti-lockdown Tories and that sharpening this divide can only help, even if it means Starmer has to make good on his pledge to support whatever lockdown measures the government proposes. Just two weeks ago there was widespread speculation that Labour could support anti-lockdown amendments to limit the Coronavirus Act

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 13, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

quote:

Sir Keir needs to make the same break with the Left if he is to have any chance of winning in 2024, given the electoral mountain Labour must climb. His tactic at the moment is to commit to nothing, including positions he has previously enunciated on Brexit or wealth taxes. This makes him a tough target for the Tories to hit, and it is showing in the polls, with Labour and Tories now level in several.

Sir Keir argues that everything must take second place to tackling the pandemic, with ministers poised to impose another national lockdown if new measures like the rule of six and £10,000 fines for breaking self-isolation fail to halt the number of new infections. Labour, he said, will support whatever Mr Johnson decrees, which may seem like a generous offer, but is a trap.

It stops Mr Johnson and his team accusing Labour of endangering the nation. Any anger over the extent of the lockdown and its impact on jobs and non-Covid health conditions will be aimed at the Government. No one blames the Opposition if it backs a disastrous policy, as with the Tories on Iraq in 2003 or Labour on the ERM in 1992.

With Mr Johnson expected tomorrow to threaten another lockdown – which by his own admission would be a disaster – the main opposition is coming from within Conservative ranks. Tory MPs, even if they do not disagree with tougher measures, insist they must be properly debated, scrutinised and voted on in Parliament.

Telegraph lead editorial three weeks ago

e: 17 February 1979. Two hundred thousand troops of the People's Liberation Army invade North Vietnam, starting the Sino-Vietnamese war; the war would last only a month before the Chinese withdraw. Both sides claim victory.

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 13, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Communist Thoughts posted:

i suppose part of the issue i'm seeing with this move is that this gives the government a way of doing the lockdown while not losing the anti-lockdown electorate, because they can just blame "lockdown labour" an angle we've already seen from kuensberg

making it look like they're bowing to pressure from labour probably pisses off the anti-lockdown backbenchers more if anything though

You're right, I think, on both points. Starmer may be betting - as the Telegraph editorial similarly argues - that voters are disinclined to blame the opposition for Government policies (at least, not an opposition they don't already reflexively dislike for other reasons).

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Gotta say, at the beginning of this year I did not expect that by the end of the year there would be not one but two culture-war-aligned battles dividing both LAB and CON once again.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

That looks cool, thank you. I was expecting silly prices and features when I saw SMART in the first sentence but they seem quite reasonable.

That's might be a good solution for me too. Basically my bathroom window is stuck, because the brain genius original designers put the shower right near it, so that needs replacing, and I was going to go for one that doesn't open at all, a solid pane one with a little vent, so would need a fan anyway.

We're currently using a dehumidifier on a RCCD safety extension lead to stop the whole thing becoming a black mold farm, and we're probably going to hard wire one into the bathroom while doing the other stuff, so the humidity load shouldn't be too great, so that might work.

fwiw I did find a proper non-ridiculous blower like what I was thinking, but it's in China and you have to contact for a price. But they do exist and have a frame that could be secured to joists if I went that route.

No idea why they seem to not exist in the UK.

You want Aliexpress, not Alibaba, for small orders to non-Chinese locations

Anyway if you're sticking on the window you can probably just use a dinky axial one that fits right in the pane - the centrifugal fans are for high static pressure situations (lots of ducting)

If you're wiring it into the switches, consider also a push-button countdown switch

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 14, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

Sadly I can't find it on Aliexpress, I've tried everywhere else too, and searching for those kind of blowers within the UK just gets inline ones or ridiculous ones.

The fan isn't going on the window itself, that's going to be a solid pane with a little sliding vent at the top, the fan is going either in the roofspace (original plan) with a duct to the ceiling, or in the ceiling itself (StarkingBarfish fan plan), which is why one that vented at 90 degrees to the inlet would have been very useful, but apparently don't exist here despite being the far more logical form of centrifugal blower.

e: ^^ I've seen similar but yeah, I wouldn't use anything with an induction/shaded pole motor in from the US, because they're frequency dependent. Something like that may be a solution depending on the roof joists.

hmm, maybe this works: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5075097 ?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ThomasPaine posted:

The Tory party has always been about preserving class power as an institution but there is definitely an ideological split between its progressive-ish neolib more women CEOs Cameronite wing and its paternalistic nationalist wing. They're both awful but while the former is powered by cynical profit seeking the latter has historically been happy enough to use protectionism etc to protect British interests. I very much doubt your average early twentieth century Tory would have dreamed of selling off UK state assets to foreign powers, for example (though hell, this is just a hunch and I'm willing to be proven wrong).

I actually find the frequent alliance between right-wing nationalists and free-market libertarians really interesting, because at a surface reading you'd expect the patriotic types to despise the guys trying to constantly undermine state power to make an easy buck, and on paper you'd think they might have more common ground with the union old boys. Direct state investment and protectionist trade policies are far more efficient ways of both promoting growth and therefore national power + prestige, while at the same time creating secure jobs. There's a reason all the gammons jack themselves off silly about WW2 every night - yes, there's all the mythos and pride and the rest of it, but a lot of that is built on this notion of cultural solidarity and resilience that really can't be separated from the fact that it was also the closest we've come in British history to a centrally planned economy.

Never let one's inability to explain political programmes disturb one's confidence in theory, I always say...

:v:

That aside, there was a dramatic rupture between the Tory nationalists and the Tory free-marketers - that was the great fracture over Europe was about, after all. The transformation of the once-'party of Europe' to, erm, whatever it is that rules Britain today has been a shift of great import, to say the least...

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

Always a positive sign when I'm looking for reliable electrical equipment

China is 220v residential and 380v three-phase...

You can just drop the store a message (in English; Aliexpress will automatically translate).

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

It is, but those are voltages, not colours, unless something has gone badly wrong. :v:

Interesting about the auto translate.

It looks like they've done the trick of just downrating the motor for 50Hz rather than winding it to two different frequencies, but China is 50Hz so I think that may mean it getting more stressed in the US rather than sluggish performance in the UK.

I don't think Aliexpress allows options other than "colors" on a listing, hence

It might not be the same motor in each case, either, and the housing might vary a fair bit from the listing too, really (this is Aliexpress after all)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
The NatCen source is interesting too:

https://natcen.ac.uk/blog/the-legacy-and-future-of-brexit

https://www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/latest-report/british-social-attitudes-37/post-brexit-public-policy.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFmTkuK2g0

The BSA report on social inequality itself - the material Kuper over at the FT appears to have had access to - isn't itself out yet

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
there's been insider remarks that Corbyn viewed himself in a Wilsonian mode of toleration of the party right-wing; that is usually celebrated as a success for preventing an SDP emerging a decade earlier than it eventually would (compare, e.g., the PvdA finding itself flanked by its rebels DS70 in, er, 1970)

in the very familiar mode of UKpol always re-fighting the last war there is no chance Corbyn would have defied that wisdom, not when the gaping maw of Brexit was opening under his feet and shaking his own grip on his youth insurgency

a subsequent leader from the left-wing would probably set out to move aggressively; whether such a gambit would work would probably hinge on other factors

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
to assess whether a commentator is really outraged about abstain+vote to amend as a strategy, check and see whether they were equally outraged when Corbyn tried it over the immigration bill last year

noting that both Harman (over the austerity bill) and Starmer (over this current bill) can both plead that they are having to oppose something in the Government election manifesto and have 0% chance of making headway, whereas Corbyn did not and whipped to abstain anyway

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 16, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

jabby posted:

Does anybody actually like these "gotchas"? There are a million reasons why you might feel more sympathetic towards Corbyn doing party-management than you would Starmer, even leaving aside the difference between second and third reading.

absolutely (hence why I qualified "as a strategy"). This is specific to objections of the nature "voting against is guaranteed to fail anyway and seeking a sympathetic Tory amendment is our only hope -- but nonetheless it's important to take a moral stand to signal the party's total opposition to the Government's position and not legitimize it with compromise" and such.

one can indeed focus on other respects - say, being straightforwardly honest that one trusts a left-wing leader to make judgment calls than a soft-left leader - but in that case it's got nothing to do with the question of parliamentary strategy

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 16, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Miftan posted:

Reaaaaally stretching the definition of 'soft left' there by applying it to Keith. He's a Liberal *at best*

I grant that these labels shift over time, but insofar as the Milibands still represent the dividing line, Ed Miliband (who is on Starmer's cabinet, did not resign from the front bench and did abstain as ordered on the CHIS bill's second reading, if you were wondering) is still generally regarded to be representative of the soft-left at the moment, no? What would place Miliband the Younger on a different politics relative to Starmer?

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 16, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

I think I'm going to have to, because I've found what looks like a suitable one there, but the spec page looks very 'getting the web sales guy to write the electrical spec'/'making poo poo up'/

Like, as you say, 380v is China's three-phase, but it's listed as a single phase motor, and having two motors of equal power producing less airflow and less pressure with the same fan is extremely strange, so one of those figures is wrong (I suspect they're ¼hp (180W) motors, or are running that way on 60Hz*).

How good is the translate? I worry I'm going to send something incomprehensible and/or insulting, like some of the badly translated sales spam I get.

*the European 150W motor and

Looking up the model info suggests to me someone made an error in the copy: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/JMKE-High-Pressure-Fan-CY133-Ac_62013264768.html - says there the 380v is three-phase

I actually do speak some Chinese but the fun part about Aliexpress is that it doesn't allow you to message in Chinese even if you do, go figure. What I do though, I write messages in English and plug them into Google Translate and see if the result makes any sense. If it does, probably whatever translator Alibaba uses under the hood won't be much different. I suppose one could translate the Chinese result back into English again to gauge its sensibility; if it's idiom-free enough to survive several roundtrips through the babelfish then it's probably okay

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah that's probably the best plan. Very strange not allowing Chinese messaging, is that the same with other non-Latin scripts, i.e. a Unicode issue?

No, it allows Russian. My guess it's deliberate filtering to force the market segmentation between Alibaba (b2b), Aliexpress (overseas retail+wholesale), and Taobao/Tmall (domestic retail and wholesale respectively). Aliexpress has the highest prices of all four but its ordering experience is the least insane for overseas customers

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
My own prediction, just to even things out, is that we will see the Mayes and Morales no-deal scenario, more or less:

quote:

Epilogue

It’s at least a few days before most Britons notice the effects of no-deal. Retailer stockpiles prevent any immediate shortages. A government plan to transport critical supplies of medicines, chemicals, and fuel on extra ferries is effective, bypassing the worst border logjams and limiting disruption.

In the morning Brexit meetings of companies in the U.K.’s service industries, the major worry is enforcement. CEOs ask heads of legal departments if the EU will punish routine cross-border activities such as transferring data or providing basic services. Risk officers repeatedly refresh the U.K. government and European Commission websites, anxious for answers. Smaller companies chance it, either believing they won’t be pulled up or unwilling to pay the extra cost of compliance. Much of the economy is in a legal limbo.

As holdups at the ports continue in the following days, supermarket inventories dwindle. Fresh strawberries and tomatoes run out, and prices for lettuce and cucumbers rise. Social media pictures of empty shelves go viral, sparking panic-buying. Factories schedule production shutdowns. Continued confusion at the ports hits supplies of medicines.

For Johnson, his Churchill moment has come. He gives nightly speeches from No. 10, urging calm. Brexit will be worth it in the long run, he says. “Britain,” he says for the thousandth time, “is taking back control.”

It will still take several more months after that before Tory backbenchers become concerned enough to challenge the party whip. Supply chain impacts hit the last mile first - large wholesalers and nearby retail will still see orders fulfilled but distant ones will begin to be deprioritized. For the first few weeks the pro-Brexit press will attempt to blame France for the queues and shortages but I suspect this will fail to resonate

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

I am more inclined towards sympathy for addicts/criminals etc because I find their suffering and actions easier to understand.

I am disinclined towards sympathy for the right wing bastards because I do not understand them and the only way I can imagine them changing their behaviour given how political beliefs spread across age in this country is for them to die.

Statistically there appears to be a large cohort of people who have had lives and opportunities I would literally kill to have, and all they do with it is work to make everyone else's life worse in every conceivable way. There may be some tragic story of why that is but at the end of the day it's still seemingly what they are, and I still just want rid of them. I am still entirely out of patience for them.

I don't believe people are born assholes, I don't believe being an rear end in a top hat is inherent to humanity, I don't believe a cooperative society is impossible because it is contradictory to human nature, but god loving help me I don't see how we can have one while people like that constitute a large plurality of the population.

This was a funny paper from earlier in the year: http://davidyyang.com/pdfs/revolutions_draft.pdf

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
anyway, always remember that political mandates are formed on swinging the people with the most ambiguous and conflicting political instincts, not the people whose instincts are completely extreme

most societies with reasonably free domestic discourse have a 30% who oppose the government of the day no matter what and 30% who support it no matter what, as a rule of thumb - this seems to hold so widely across time and space that it's hard to pin it on any particular regional idiosyncrasies - any vision of the good society has to be compatible with large pluralities who disagree fervently with its system, I think, rather than hoping for some Die Losung solution

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

This is why I'm wary of people who say "you just need one big revolution and then it's fixed" as well as people who fixate too much on what their perfect end-goal anarchist/communist/whateverist society would look like. You need to keep having equalizing events.

I'm personally of the camp that the more often you have them, the less they need to look like Red Guards cadres and the more they can look like Black Panther Free for Children Breakfast Programs, and the longer this gets put off the more likely that something breaks violently, but you could be talking about an order of decades or of centuries and still make a case there.

if it looks too much like the Free for Children Breakfast Program then it's likely to get scooped by social democrats advocating social-democratic reforms, who can promise all of the same, but without the vagaries and abuse that inevitably arise through ad-hoc party volunteer structures, unreliable funding, costly confrontations, etc.

(which is exactly what eventually happened to that Free for Children Breakfast Program: the War on Poverty displaced it with the National School Breakfast Program)

which may be the goal - but that's tantamount to conceding that the equalizing reformism is all that is on the table

ronya fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 18, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
LAB embracing a more-lockdown-than-the-government position does hamper picking off any threads of dissatisfaction in the red wall seats

(albeit it's not clear that LAB could have sustained the strategy of transparently trying to have it both ways, either - this course may be the least bad of its options, as I said last year over the party's Brexit turn after the Euros)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Humanist socialism as a tendency dates to the New Left in the 1960s

Classical Marxism would have regarded it as bourgeois individualism... the crux of the problem is whether humanist concepts (like empathy, or alienation, or exploitation) should be interpreted to refer to interactions between classes or individuals, and in general classical (ahem) Marx is pretty hot on the idea that the answer is class. Given the reduction of all social history to class struggle as scientific natural law, the moral subject of political philosophy very definitely not the individual autonomous human

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1317126424587833344

No crosstabs on their site, which is a pity

Still - that support is pretty narrow and the reason this is starting to be a government headache is that the threat of Tory rebellion is serious

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Imagine being a Labour voter that doesn't think that the Government should provide food to hungry children.

it was 17% previously too: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/education/survey-results/daily/2020/06/16/0c101/1

again - sadly no crosstabs, though

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Cayman Islands are the stereotypical place because they were the first to offer that sort of offshore company registration to the US (the Channel Islands had been doing it for the UK for longer, and of course Switzerland has been doing it pretty much for its entire existence), so it gets into the culture like through that Simpsons clip.

Basically any small country with not many natural resources or anything else to base an economy on does this kind of brass-plate scam to a greater or lesser extent, and it's pretty much the only thing the UK economy has been running on since the late 80s. The UK is more attractive (for now) than, say, the Turks or Caicos Islands, because there are also assets in the UK that can be bought, sold, leased and loaned by your brass plate company to launder your money as well as skipping taxes in your home country, it's a convenient one-stop shop for people who need a new form of guillotine inventing for them.

The UK didn't have to allow it, not at the height of Bretton Woods and its system of tight restrictions on global financial flows. Daniel Davies once made the observation that this was a kind of decolonization-on-the-cheap, by allowing these former possessions to rapidly develop a service industry that the UK didn't have (then) much of an interest in.

In response to Necrothatcher's specific question - yes, there are some financial sectors with actual infrastructure based on assorted island states (Bermuda is famous for underwriting specifically, for example), with the major attraction being the industry-cluster effect of "everyone else is here already, so finding clients, vendors, employees, and investors is easy because they're all next door". Not all that different from electronics in Shenzhen or aerospace in Toulouse. Another key attraction is regulatory expertise, not necessarily in a light-touch way - remember, it's underwriting; both buyers and sellers are sophisticated financial actors - but the sense that the regulator knows what they're doing and will rule consistently.

A major attraction for the UK however is that the cost of living in London is still lower than that of Bermuda, to give a sense of perspective.

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

namesake posted:

I was discussing this with some people last night - austerity as an idea was not defeated in the public consciousness or in the Tory Party. The public got tired of hearing about it yes, which is why it was dropped as a slogan and why during the Tory GE19 campaign did include some new spending claims to get away from the idea that they'd continue slashing everything and privatising the remains but there was no movement away from the public rationale of austerity (debt too high, cut other spending to return growth to high levels). The pandemic responses of billions of pounds having to be spent and particularly having to be transferred directly to workers through furlough has pissed off a lot of the Tory MPs and high command because it violates the austerity perspective on things and also has been a major rebalancing on national income distribution for this year - businesses get loans and no operating income but workers continue to get their pay, what madness is this!?!

At every given opportunity there's a strong wing on the party which will just point blank refuse to accept that the government should spend money on anything like feeding children and they are still present and may well take control again once the pandemic situation is no longer so chaotic.

The other alternative is more along Johnsons lines of just spending money on your mates to appear to address the issue and so they'll claim British entrepreneurs need strong support and that's what the governments for - so nevermind the debt we're investing in Britain by taking more billions and expanding private companies to have the opportunity to do all the things the state used to do, etc. This will be popular amongst some of the ruling class as well because it means the government gets to pick the winner of capitalism and shower them with contracts which means mega profits for them.

So there's an upcoming ideological struggle that's going to happen in the Tories as soon as there is any potential break in pandemic response dominating all state actions.

The specific idea that persists is not 'austerity' specifically, but the benefit cap. Specifically the Tories realized that voters were really averse to the idea of anyone receiving more in benefits than another representative household earning in work. This is known to be inconsistent with other voter intuitions on fair welfare, so it becomes a battle over the media framing. When the Tories realize that they've lost a particular angle, they seem to fold remarkably rapidly - this already occurred during the 'rape clause' and 'two child tax credit' tussle in 2018 - and wait for the framing to shift again

"Voters reward fundamentally contradictory views on fairness in welfare provision" also explains why one sees the to-and-fro counterattacks in the zeitgeist