Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Given that we're not getting pay rises or bonuses for at least the next couple of years, they're going to have to work really hard to convince me to come back to the office.

Still pondering joining Prospect, but not sure how much use they are if you're not working at a union shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Archaeology Hat posted:

I think calais has been french since the mid 1500s

There's a tiny bit of France that actually counts as Kent; there's a police station and it runs on UK time.

Going back to the news story, isn't a lone person swimming the channel most likely to be, well, someone trying to swim the channel for its own sake?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Made me nostalgic for Anglia rail. And laughing infrequent travellers who couldn't work out how to get out of a slam door train.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

Having to stick your arm out the window and open it from the outside was a novel experience.

The pro move was to have already turned the handle and be leaning on the door as the train pulled in, so it would fall open the moment the guard released the master locks.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

jacksbrat posted:

Oh they still have these! Both the trains and the travellers who don't know wtf to do (I can personally attest).

I just had a pang of nostalgia for rail travel. I know train travel in Britain is objectively worse than lots of other places but there's still an air of romance to it for me, except of course for that time we were all told to switch to a new train at Manchester Piccadilly because literally all the bogs were blocked.

I also miss the bicycle and luggage carriage. If the main train was crowded you could just go into that and as long as you didn't mind sitting on the floor you had peace and quiet, because the conductor didn't care that you were there instead of a passenger carriage.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

forkboy84 posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/02/uk-house-prices-hit-record-high-after-easing-of-covid-lockdown

I'd quote the article but phone posting. How the gently caress is the housing bubble expanding in a pandemic?

Because we're not buying avacado toast? (Seriously. Not having to go into the office has made a big difference to my finances)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/helloalegria/status/1301290315593191426?s=20

Genuinely reads like they set out to make the idea of returning to the office sound as awful as humanly possible

I'd rather choose an extra 4-800 pounds and 40 hours of my time a month. (I assuming it's meant to be in a trainspotting style)

In our work, the teams that are partially having to be in the office have started letting the office based people work shorter hours because they kicked off about commuting times

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bobstar posted:

Nonsense. It's the freshest fish, from Lutetia by ox cart.

*Cue village wide punch up*

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Once in a while the Americans get it right. Nothing will excuse the way they pronounce buoy or clique, though.

IIRC they pronounce buoy as Boo-eey, how do they pronouce clique? Cli-queue? Clickee?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Except India has their own thing going on. As they probably should, they invented it.
Limca! Cloudy and fizzy.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

SpicePro posted:

Or spotted dick :laugh:

Years ago when I worked at BT, they changed the name of Spotted Dick to Spotted Richard. This change lasted all of two-three months before it was changed back because apparently people couldn't order Spotted Richard without cracking up and holding up the dessert line.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

:hmmyes: They don't have chlorinated chicken in North Korea, checks out.

Don't they have fields fertilized with unprocessed human waste, and hence a whole host of really interesting parasites?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Talking Traffic lights, in Ipswich there's a big junction that had some sort of vehicle detection going, and didn't detect motorbikes. Not a problem in the day when there's enough other traffic to work it, but if you hit it at night and the lights were against you the only legal way across it was to hit the pedestrian crossing button that would also turn the lights your way.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

crispix posted:

People are dying because we have a government that prioritised Wetherspoons pub lunches and supermarket meal deals over human lives

As Leonard Cohen sang,

"As he died to make men holy,
Let us die to make things cheap"

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Here's a nice cat so you can forget this post.

That is a nice cat, shame about the huntastic sofa

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Everyone's allowed to wind people up a tiny bit every once in a while and the strawmen being built around Ober's extremely mild "Lol I've slightly annoyed two subordinates" story are starting to blot out the sun.

gently caress knows what you'd think of my policy of changing people's desktops to catman (blast from the past for the LF crew there) rather than going through the formal disciplinary process if they leave their machines unlocked.

We just sent emails saying that they were going to get a round of coffee or donuts in.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But seems you can't add one in Teams (which the tiny charity I've just started doing some pro bono website stuff for is using) unless you are ALREADY in the meeting which kind of defies the objective if fellow meeters see first my kitchen behind me and then a luxury library.

Boo to Teams.

You can. On the screen that pops up just before you join the meeting (where you decide things if you want to come in with your mic and video on you can select a background then.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

DesperateDan posted:

Now on day 4 of trying to get a covid test for my eldest kid- yesterday there was a slot 30 miles away!

In Kent. Which is on the other side of the thames river.

Yeah, lots of things don't take into account that there's no crossing further east than Dartford. Yes, technically speaking, this shop that I'm looking for is only 10 miles away. If I had a loving boat.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Not sure I like this new phase of The Great Pendragon Campaign. (it is a RPG joke)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This has all been a long game con from Boris to finally get to use his water cannons.

I thought Khan had sold those

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sainsbury's is poo poo, they've lost the plot, Asda and Morrisons are poo poo too but less and at least somewhat cheap. Tesco's is optimal. Waitrose makes me feel worthy to spend that bit extra. Lidl and Aldi are very hit and miss depending on the store, newer the better and the most fun but poo poo for like lunch meal deals. I spend loads in the local budgens for shite because I plan poorly and am lazy. Having said all that I mainly shop in booths.

One of the local Sainsburies currently has chocolate covered freeze dried strawberries. They're delicious. They also cost a fortune. I need to try and bulk buy my own freeze dried strawbs so I can dip them in chocolate myself.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with someone else?

That's clearly a live pony.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

One thing I do miss about WFH is not getting the odd nice salad from the Little Waitrose near the office.

Has anyone ever seen a big Waitrose? John Lewis at Blue Waters has one in the basement, but it doesn't seem to have more than the Little one, just more spread out, with an added deli section.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

WhatEvil posted:

Do you mean like, big big ones? Like a Tesco Extra or an ASDA Supercentre? Those are so huge because they have clothes, homewares, electronics etc. but I don't think Waitrose does any of that stuff because John Lewis handles it.

Not Tesco Extra size, just bigger than a Little. A Waitrose Medium if you will.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

kingturnip posted:

The building I work in barricaded off most of the entrances/exits to try to ensure that anyone coming in got a temperature check, a mask and some hand sanitiser.
Turns out most of those entrances/exits were also Fire Exits, so that didn't last long

We actually turned our fire-exits into normal pass-carded exit-only doors to maintain a one way system through the office.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I made chocolate crunch and pink custard, and for a while the world seemed right again.
I keep meaning to make some chocolate crunch. I basically lived on it at school because it was the cheapest thing on the canteen menu and I was pocketing my lunch money to have extra spending money. The pink custard can do one though.

This toad did not subsist on a diet of chocolate crunch at high school

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 28, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Are the Maintenance loans on the same payment schedule as the Fees loan?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

knox_harrington posted:

Food in my university halls was disgusting unidentifiable slop and very much not posh, but still way better than food at an army barracks in Catterick I had the displeasure of having to eat.
When I was doing a Y2k contact at British Sugar the food in the canteen was so terrible that after the first day they gave us a free food card. It was still terrible, but at least we didn't have to pay for it

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

stev posted:

My uni campus was constantly full of rabbits (to the point where they were basically a mascot) and the rumour there was always that a group of students had captured and cooked one. In every version of the rumour the students were Chinese though so it's more of a race hate story than a student cooking one.

Friend who went to Essex uni was told that you shouldn't try to cook the rabbits because they have Mix.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm really hoping that The Green Knight gets a release sometime

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Also: what is and isn't taxable - my info is probably out of date but if you are contractually entitled to a particular redundancy payout (over and above statutory) then it is taxable but if it is not in your contract and they offer it anyway, then it isn't up to something like £32k. (NB - find out, don't rely on my half memories!)

I didn't get taxed on my 14k from the NHS in 2016 and that's standard NHS level payoff (1 month pay/year worked there), so presumably written into the contract. They tried to do me out of it by saying that I was refusing equivalent work. I successfully argued that offering me a band 4 position when still expecting me to train the remaining band 5 was an insult to my level of experience and not appropriate employment.

It was such a poo poo place to work by then and the team I was in was so hostile that I got the head of Networks to come into my meeting with me instead of my own team lead

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

SpicePro posted:

I'm E11 and bottled water was sold out in the shops by 10pm last night, I've only *now* just started to get a trickle of water.

When we had a water main burst they sent a few lorries loaded with 2ltr bottle of water, labelled as emergency water

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

bump_fn posted:

hey everyone get a load of this SW3 resident

Isle of Sheppey actually. One of the poorest areas in Kent. :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

biglads posted:

Don't worry, they're planning on sawing the masts off the Montgomery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

I know :(

And it'll be done by the cheapest bidder too, which is quite concerning :(

Did suggest to my dad (he has salvage diving and underwater demolitions experience from way back when) that he just needs to register a company and put together a snappy power point, and he can get millions in government money + the epitaph of 'The man who blew up Kent' for his troubles.

The reason they want to remove the masts is quite sensible - they don't want them collapsing onto the wreckage, because they are decaying. The arguments against are that it'll be done by the lowest bidder and that it'll remove a Sheppey landmark (seamark?) Actual signposting of the wreck is done by giant yellow buoys.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 7, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Necrothatcher posted:

Took the government's career skills assessment test (https://beta.nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/) to see what job they think I'd be best at

According to them I should become a... professional boxer? well okay. The advice is to "start training with a boxing club and work your way up".

helpful

e: my friend got 'carnival ride operator'.

The second category of jobs it suggested for me is actually pretty close to what I do. The first category was sports and leisure style things.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: Pratchett, Unseen Academicals was for me, where the Alzheimers became noticeable; it was borderline incoherant, and there was at least one repeated passage. Snuff was dire, and honestly, probably should have stayed on the type writter.

Dodger, a non-discworld book, was okay, but there was at least one subplot that just stopped being referenced.

The last two Tiffany Achingbooks are better than the other post UA work.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

We're going to starve, aren't we?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

blunt posted:

Speaking of .. should I be transferring some of my meager savings into Euros/Dollars to avoid a January no deal crash ala the referendum results day, or is no deal already priced in at this point?

Gold if you're going to do that. Sovereigns rather than bars because you don't pay capital gains tax because they're technically legal tender.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

blunt posted:

So I should sign up for Nigel's daily gold email? 🤔

No, just buy from a bullion seller - compare their price to the daily gold price (sovereigns are 22 carat and gold price is for 24) to make sure it looks okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ratjaculation posted:

How much toilet roll hoarding is too much?

This is probably a joke post, but I've started buying a new nine pack when I'm half way through the current one.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 17, 2020