Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

sebzilla posted:

Probably should take me off the CLP list (for Stroud) since I Dramatically Quit the Labour Party a few months back.

Yeah you could probably do the same for Sanitary Naptime as well tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

And would take instruction over fax, but not encrypted email because it's not secure. :negative:

This was the IDF back when I served which wasn't THAT long ago.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Can the thread please stop interacting with known racist Breath Ray unless you're telling him to gently caress off?

Hey Breath Ray, you're a racist. gently caress off.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jose posted:

Have you considered getting a metal barrel and starting a fire in it?

I believe the popular term for that is "the government"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

*me, wanking normally*

haha wank machine goes brrr

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

people under 35 are more likely to die in a road accident than of covid, I read in private eye

gently caress off you loving racist, nobody gives a poo poo what you have to say.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jose posted:

Congrats on sucking up to the aristocracy

He's actually taking advantage of the aristocracy which is both Cool and Good. Good job on redistributing wealth, ober.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Man, this sucks about Graeber. He was a great dude and the world is slightly worse now that he's gone.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

Starmer served Jezza loyally enough so it wasnt exactly a coup or a surprise considering RLB didnt have Jezza's credentials or plain speakingness.

historically Jezza's image was more lefty than his more recent policies actually were, which caused a certain level of mistrust that could be exploited by the media. the advantage of starmer is that if anything ordinary people see him more to right than his policies suggest.

going further back I suppose there was a sense that milliband proved weak and ineffectual against a polished foe, so a return to a supposed authoritarian like Starmer to take on the disheveled and chaotic boris after disheveled and chaotic jezza failed to make inroads makes sense. thats not the same as saying this was 'always going to happen' mind you thats just post rationalisation

None of that is true. It's, at best, your own personal head canon, and you're a racist poo poo so gently caress off.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

i dont think tribalism is as significant these days. e.g. the red wall has gone blue but id expect parts of it to go red again in 2024. labour used to be able to rely on scotland, has lost nearly everything there, but could recover under the right circs.

more significant is that very few constituencies present a choice between two equally matched candidates, and also MPs who are active in their constituency can sometimes prevail even when their party leader takes a kicking. that seems to indicate that not everyone considers GEs to be an opportunity to pick a PM

gently caress off you racist poo poo.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Mebh posted:

I gotta say. The fudge is exquisite. The Eton mess is like being punched in the face with raspberries and cream. The chocolate orange is a tad sweet for me but wow. Its both orangey and chocolatey and the apple pie...wow. It smells divine and tastes even better.

Have you considered some persian style flavours? Rosewater, pistachio etc.

My favourite dessert is called knafeh (spelling may vary) a godly baked combination of melted cheese, shredded filo pastry, rosewater infused sugar syrup and joy. https://youtu.be/nSteAlgpFvc

Kanafeh is one of the best desserts in the world. Best of all, they don't come in chocolate orange flavours.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Try asking for Sprite next time. I assume Canada does the US thing where lemonade isn't carbonated and instead has actual lemons in.

Edit: 1928, King Zog of Albania is crowned. Kneel before Zog.

Just an FYI this is not a US thing, but a rest of the world thing. Possibly with the exception of like, NZ and Aus because they imported a lot of nonsense from the UK?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

aldi do speyside and islay as well but the cardboard tubes are always empty so either its always been stolen or you need to take the tube to the till

gently caress offffff you poo poo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The only people engaging with Breath Ray are telling them to gently caress off and it's actually way worse than their posting.

I feel like telling racists to get in the sea is important, but I'll tone it down.

fridge corn posted:

What has my good friend breat ray done to upset to noble folk of the ukmt d&d thread?

Loads of racism.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Continuity RCP posted:

Editorial: disgusting imperialists slander chocolate orange: Defend and Uphold Terrysism!

I resent being called an imperialist.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tarnop posted:

But the contact tracers say all the transmission is happening in homes! No we don't have actual data to support that, and our world-beating contact tracing scheme definitely isn't just a way to add a hint of credibility to our "all work, no play" excuse for a lockdown

They're probably right in that you get it off one person at work/the pub and immediately give it to everyone you live with because of the very close proximity (but then they also give it to someone at work). YOU don't infect people at work/the pub because someone else already did. But not going to work/the pub is how you break the transmission chain, unless the govt wanna spring for covid hotels like China.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Random thought, but I wonder how many people have been run over because no fucker wants to press the button on pelican crossings any more?

Those buttons are a lie anyway.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're really not, people just get confused by the phasing when there's a crossing on a junction because if you time it wrong it can take >60 seconds before the green man shows. On some junctions there may be a pedestrian phase built into the phasing, so pressing the button isn't a necessity, but on simple crossings the light change is basically immediate (and absolutely won't happen unless you press the button). I just press them with my elbow, and wonder what the relative covid transmission risk is between pressing a button and standing cow-like in a big crowd waiting for a light change that never comes.

Then they should have different buttons. I've never come across one that hasn't changed automatically, even if it takes a while, anywhere in the UK, as far as I can recall, and I'm not touching the covid factory if I can help it.

It helps that where I live atm there are now cow-like big crowds waiting for light changes, I suppose.

thespaceinvader posted:

Do people not just... grasp the light patterns of all their local junctions?

Is that just me?

Same here.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

IceG posted:

Just wanted to say the last 2 or 3 of these have been incredible. Keep up the great work!

Thank you, we're really happy the people enjoy our ramblings!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

blunt posted:

Yeeeeeees.

So like 15 years ago, actual Fox News started a comedy block to try and 'provide a conservative counterpoint' to Comedy Central's The Daily Show. It went pretty much exactly how you'd imagine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXTwYBWUuZk

So bad that Fox News cancelled it after 17 weeks.

Made it all the way to the Prager cameo before I had to close it. Only about half the things they said could be considered "jokes" meant to make people "laugh" and that's if I was being generous tbh

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

bessantj posted:

I have a free audible credit, is there a political/science/history audiobook that people enjoyed?

Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber. It's politics/social commentary and very good.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobstar posted:

On my recent list:

Natives by Akala
Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

I'd also second both of these.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

weird that they asked the Tories twice

Got roughly the same answer though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Was it JK Rowling who saw a post by one of her heroes which she misread as supporting her, thanked them profusely, then got cancelled by them and deleted her thank you

Yeah it was Stephen King iirc

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Surely if they can't get people through customs quickly people will just stop selling poo poo to the UK, like what's the point tying up your trucks and drivers in a car park for days when you could be using them to shift more goods elsewhere?

You know that if there's even a tiny bit of profit to be made they'll make truck drivers sit in a car park for days on end to wait for it. Might mean less fresh veg though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Who had Hitchcock's the birds for September?

It's never mermen!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Isomermaid posted:

It's this thinking that being transphobic (or racist, or misogynist etc) is something that you ARE rather than something that you DO.

This is a good way of putting it. I sort of think the same is true of "bad" and "good". Good people do good things sometimes and vice versa (see the worst person you know made a valid point dot jpg) and this shorthand of good/bad/racist people is making it more difficult to deal with.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Dogatron posted:

Angepain, if you have a degree from a university you gave them too much money.

Organise your arguments. Write clearly.

Organise. Educate. Agitate.

What the gently caress is this? Stop taking shots at other posters, you dipshit.

Everyone piled onto you because your original point, from what people could decipher, is that middle class people who can work from home are too worried about the virus? Maybe everyone is worried but if you can't WFH you can't afford to stay home because, y'know, you need to get paid. Everyone should be home, but we can't do that as a society which is pretty loving obvious. Most jobs are unproductive bullshit. This also isn't news.

Going to university and writing in paragraphs doesn't make you smarter, and angepain's posts are much easier to understand than yours. Jesus loving christ you're a trainwreck of a poster.

Dogatron posted:

You want me to gently caress off for telling folk to organise, educate and agitate?

Alright this is either performance art or you're just a really dense motherfucker. Honestly I wish I had the minute it took me to write this post back.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

His point is the most privileged are also the loudest. Either screaming at people in bizarre overreactions, freaking out about yet another hypochondriac episode or declaring the end of the world. Motherfuckers you want to try working through this poo poo. And I mean working out there with the general public. Not at home. Not even in an office. There's way too many computer touchers on SA and its really skewing things, even on these ostensibly leftist subforums.

So your point is that it's not as bad as office workers think it is because lots of people are still working? You know that loads of people are getting sick and dying/have long term symptoms, right?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I have only clapped in the cinema at the end of the movie

That's the worse than the NHS clap. What are you, American? Who claps at the movies??

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Oodles posted:

I clapped when the plane lands, is that ok?

It's equally bad, in that it's not bad just weird.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Skeletome posted:

anyone got any know how on redundancy?

company has just announced they're restructuring and doing a consultation, where I believe employees will be helping with that consultation, appointed by ballot.

I want to know how buggered I am lol

Talk to your union.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

In fairness to him, (the clip is only 24 seconds so it's hard to judge) if you take his words in context, the very next thing he says is about meeting with Trans spokespeople to listen to their concerns.
That seems to indicate that he mispoke in a mild way. (The word was a double negative after all.)

I wouldn't give Wes Streeting the benefit of the doubt, considering his positions on literally everything else, tbh. Saying one thing and then self correcting on twitter where only diehards will know you ever did it is a pretty standard move at this point anyway.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I still maintain that nerds have been fine with the lockdown measures because when people say 'oh it'll only kill 1% of the population,' we all know exactly how often that 1% chance tends to occur.

Mandatory X-COM reeducation camps for all!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've been trying to word something about it all day but her 'Jews are white' bullshit is, apart from anything else, another white rear end in a top hat excluding Sephardi Jews from their own ethnicity.

And Iranian Jews and Ethiopian Jews and Asian Jews

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't do this. It hurts your battery life rather than helps it.

Hey I'm glad you're still alive Jakiri.

Don't post feetman, everyone.

People who stay in the Labour party are welcome to do so if they want, even if others think it'll never help. Also people can do more than one thing. I personally think small protests never change anything either, but I'm not gonna knock people for going to/organising them for good causes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

lol the zoomers are going to grow up like battle hardened syrian children , with the ptsd to match

This analogy could use some work..

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

16 year olds can order beer, wine, or cider with a meal in a pub. Other than that, it's 18 guardian or not, although sufficiently confident grandads can order lager shandy for children of any age by asserting that it's not legally alcohol. (This is true at 0.5%, to avoid duty on fruit juices that naturally self ferment, but not the case for a half and half glass of 3.7% lager and lemonade, but are you going to argue with loud granda?)

I frequently argue with loud grandas

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

When are you next on Question Time?

I retired from hosting that a whil-- I mean I'm definitely not David Dimbelby. I am forums posted Miftan and NOT a tory plant.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Are you a woman posting an opinion on Twitter?

I try to stick to one hellsite at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Food in my university halls was disgusting unidentifiable slop and very much not posh, but still way better than food at an army barracks in Catterick I had the displeasure of having to eat. The food there was also disgusting unidentifiable slop, but more expensive, served to a captive audience, and the hobs in the accommodation were disabled because Serco weren't making enough money out of privates on £16k a year.

Also said privates were often doing an arduous selection course while being nutritionally deprived by said outsourcing motherfuckers. (I appreciate the British Army is unlikely to elicit a lot of sympathy here but this is still Bad IMO)

Does the british army do the standard army thing of having radioactive/fluorescent looking mashed potatoes? The IDF food loving sucked, but at least there's was a ton of it (unless you're a vegan/vegetarian in which case lol).

The closest I got to uni food was the food trucks outside 3 times a week which were amazing and the 20 minute line to get the free food from some sort of monks?