Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm not even particularly rural, only about 20 miles from Glasgow, and yet the only food delivery app we have out here is JustEat, which isn't even strictly the same as something like Deliveroo or UberEats, cuz it uses the restaurant's drivers.

I just want to have McDonalds delivered to my house, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I know when I wreck a flat, I make sure to remove the windows from the frames completely then only hit them once. Or hit the door with a hammer only once and no more. Or leave the expensive fridge completely alone because it'd probably be the most expensive to replace.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Snakebite & Black belongs exclusively to the goths, and I will not see it reclaimed like this.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Wouldn't you just put it on the soda gun at that point?

Or weren't there any "is pepsi ok?" style red bull concentrates then?

I'm pretty sure there's no concentrates, I've only ever seen Red Bull come in cans.

On a train ride from Glasgow to Derby via Preston, me and two friends, around 18 years old, finished off a 1L of Jager between us.

Don't do that. I can't even remember what Preston looks like.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Surprised no-one has brought up Buckfast. Everything you've heard about it is true.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm thinking more of the Good Friday Agreement commitment to keep the border open - checks, even if they're cursory "Is this milk or is it white lead paint?" glances at the border, are a breach of the GFA, which was the whole point of all of the finagling and chest-thumping over the last few years. I wonder if the Big Brains are thinking "Hmm, what if we made the Irish the bad guys breaking the treaty and not us?"

This is 10000% the Tory plan right now. Just throw the entire pile of poo poo into the air and when it covers everyone, blame RoI for not handing out umbrellas.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Just also remember that 99% of things that bill themselves as "chiropractic" is woo woo horseshit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

We're in the 'believe our own lies' stage where they think they can stop the acceleration of infection while people have to go and work in buildings. Going back to work in closed rooms was never safe. They lied but have no idea what to do. I just wonder whether they are nihilistic and don't care or are panicking and just assumed we'd have 'something' that would make things better. Some treatment that meant only the weakest would die and gently caress them.

Remember, the Tories work on the inverse Hanlon's Razor. Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ScotLab are just loving profoundly useless. An entire political party I wouldn't trust to find their own arse with both hands.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sassassin posted:

I made a mistake. There are too many birds, and they are too hungry. Supplies will not last long. There is no way out.

You entered into this pact willingly, human. The Seed Must Flow.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I still find it wild that Chernobyl killed less in immediate industrial accidents, short term serious health conditions, and long term loss of QALY than a coal plant of the same capacity running normally for the same amount of time. And that 90% of the Exclusion Zone is less environmentally inimical to life than London Zone 1+2.

I was a horribly morbid child who loved reading about industrial accidents, and whenever Chernobyl comes up, my favourite game is getting people to estimate how many people died as a direct result, then seeing how long they follow me saying "Less" each time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TACD posted:

I'm reminded of that radio call-in from early lockdown where a woman started off indignantly protesting she had a right to go out and live her life and got blindsided into agreeing that she'd lived long enough and would die for this cause.

DIdn't she openly admit she was planning to visit a relative with some kind of chronic illness too?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I feel like the past decade of more-or-less unemployment I've had was like training.

See, the trick is to get really into Dark Souls and takeaway food. The weeks will fly in.

I do miss my ritual of going to the cinema/art galleries/museums though. Without those, I leave the house maybe once every month or so.

And I absolutely appreciate the irony of posting this at 4am.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 21, 2020

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh great, I get to live in the Kingdom of Scotland/Highland Republic demilitarized zone.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Deftones also dropped a new album today, and they continue to not have a single disappointing album in their entire back catalogue.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

Hitman 2, and the fact they remastered the original to run on the new engine are so absolutely amazing that it's honestly worth buying windows so you can dual boot it on your mac to play. That's what I've done and I've clocked up an insane amount of hours.

And the third one, due early next year, will do the same with the two preceding games, creating a definitive edition of the trilogy.

Hitman is so loving good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It is almost comical in the ridiculousness of how much is being piled on young people to endure. I can't imagine anyone late teens is going to come through this thinking that the government and institutions are anything other than a joke.

I'm 27 which obviously isn't young at all, but as someone who was in high school as the 2008 recession happened: It loving sucks.

Outside of like, a few months at a time of casual work when it pops up, I've been unemployed for the best part of 10 years.

The best way I can summarize it is the line from Peep Show: "There weren't any jobs when I didn't want a job, and now I do want a job, there are like, NO jobs". The idea of "entry level" positions don't exist anymore, you either already have an in with an employer or you're on the dole. And it's only gonna get worse.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lungboy posted:

It's going to be interesting watching the back pedalling when it turns out the copper was shot by another copper or something equally dumb.

They won't backpedal. It just won't be reported and we'll all forget it ever happened in a few months.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

For a man who's apparently being silenced, Lawrence Fox sure never shuts the gently caress up, huh.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Everyone and their dog has known Johnny is a fascist piece of poo poo for literal decades now anyway, nobody except Chris Addison is shocked by this.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Iceland is amazing value and people don't talk about it enough. I have never gone in there and not been surprised in a good way on reaching the tills.

Only buy boxed stuff, their fresh / own brand meat is shite, and they stopped doing the good ikea knockoff meatballs as well which is all bad. But generally very good and very cheap options if you're buying McCain or Birdseye or whatever.

In maybe the proliest statement I could possibly make: I save Iceland for Christmas where I go and ram my entire freezer with party food and make it last well into January.

So I can at least vouch for the quality of Iceland's wee sausage rolls.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Weirdly would be if twisto didn't know some bizarre ephemera connected to municipal services and the upkeep of such.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I got construction plant engineer and trading standards officer on that quiz. I'm incredibly interested to see how that one was processed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bobby, if you done that job quiz, toss out the results, because your calling was clearly pharmaceutical rep.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rice is also a good versatile stockpile food.

192 is the sum of ten consecutive primes (5 + 7 + 11 + 13 + 17 + 19 + 23 + 29 + 31 + 37)

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 7, 2020

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Continuity RCP posted:

People think it's all dolphins and atomic warfare but Posadism is mostly just not loving and interminable speeches about energy

I'm glad Posadism exists purely because it's wikipedia page contains the funniest four words in the English language, "enthusiastic about nuclear war".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

All the tories need to do to hold the union together is not allow a 2nd ref.
Theyr stupid enough to fail at that but its pretty easy

Yup. Support for independence can poll as high as it wants, the Tories are still the ones who get to decide if we get a ref or not. And they might be loving spectacularly incompetent, but even they know they hold the power there.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Starting to think that we should have kept all the decent and sane people we apparently sent down to Aotearoa.

Sadism is only a virtue if you're doing it in-person, if you're going to be a oval office then stick someone on a rack and rip their sinews apart, don't just vote Tory that's weak and cowardly.

I'd think the original inhabitants of Aotearoa would dispute you calling the people who arrived there decent or sane.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Guards Guards is the best Discworld book.

But I think everyone's first Discworld book is at least in their top 3.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think you'll find that america ia

1. strong
2. b rave
3. my our friend

Finally having those god-forsaken golf courses pays off.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've just worked in media and tangentially in TV in the past, and expecting all those people to know all about neo-Nazis is ludicrous.

I'm the wallet inspector, you have to give me your wallet.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm with Owl. As much as I want to love RPGs like that, my attention span just isn't that good.

It's why I love Dark Souls so much. All the RPG with none of the waiting around.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

B-Bradz on Newsnight makes me just a little mournful we didn't get to see Paxman hit him with (god, thank you Thick of It for this line) the Rubbery Horse Face Of Mock Incredulity.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/1320316654681792513

We're genuinely hosed because a sizable part of this country are delusional enough to think they lived through a war that happened 106 years ago.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Cutting free school meals is a great talking point to get people against the Tories. Because it's such a straightforward, uncontroversial bad thing, there's essentially no way even the redtops can spin it as a Good Thing Actually.

Like, you don't need to spend time explaining the context and doublespeak to the man on the street about why it's a bad thing, it's literally taking food out the mouths of starving kids.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If I'm running against Gary Sambrook, I'm absolutely following him around with a megaphone yelling "GARY SAMBROOK EATS BIG DINNERS".

It's the perfect slogan.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

A hot towel shave was one of my little joys in life and I've not been all year.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

If someone has minimal facial hair and asks for a shave does the barber laugh at you?

Asking for a friend.

I imagine they'd welcome it, being less of a job for the same amount of money.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Unthinkably bad car financing was one of the big linchpins of the 2008 crash. There's actually a pretty solid thread to be pulled that the PT Cruiser alone was at least notably important in the arse falling out of that entire industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Negative equity mortgages are one of those things you hear and immediately understand why the entire housing market is in the shape it is.