Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, the genie's out of the bottle here: after 6 months of this, it's utterly undeniable that for a huge swathe of the population, there's absolutely no need for them to be in the office every day and that can't be wished away again.

The Tories and their mates in the press can demand that we all get back to 'normal' as much as they want but businesses will make the decisions that are best for them: crucially, managers aren't scared of having staff work from home any more and can see how their companies can save money by allowing it.

Everytime I've ever complained about not being able to buy a home, some smug boomer has always told I spend too much money. My biggest expense in both time and money is pointlessly (as shown by the last 7 months) commutting across the city. My performance has actually gone up over the Covid period. It's going to be very hard to guilt me into going back into the office to save Firstgroup & Pret's bottomline. As an aside there's an entire level of management whos job is entirely 'looking over peoples shoulders' who were clearly alarmed by the lack of impact on performance and are now getting increasingly nervous about the future.

I do find it funny that while the papers are demanding that people go back into offices, the vast majority of their staff are still working from home and they have no plans to get them to return this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I've been thinking alot recently about the effects of living in a ever declining country has on young people. I've noticed just how little push back my younger co-workers have towards things like work place bullying, overflowing workloads, non-perment contracts, no pay raises- which is understandable (particularly if you've never had any other experience), but even their ambitions and hopes seem to decrease is horizon and scope. I don't mean all they care about is going out etc, they just seem to accept fundemental things like 'I won't ever own a home or live outside a 6 person flat share' much more readily then people 10 years older.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Yesterday we have all the experts saying we'll have 50,000 cases daily soon if the government don't start getting serious, today we get 10pm pubs closures & WFH if your boss lets you. You can see why the messaging has broken down.

Knowing this country the new pub rules will just ensure maxium shunting in pubs from 5pm-10pm in very crowded conditions and then 'get some cans and come back to mine' for the rest of the night or just skip the pub stage entirely. Damaging the pub trade which the government is desperate to look like their saving, for no gain.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I had this argument recently with my friends. Both about Labour and Joe Biden. They kept touting compromise and moderation as electorally sucessful and 'good' qualities.

When you point out that compromising on climate change for the last 40 years has pretty much doomed us, they have nothing to say.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Labour make it very easy for me not to vote for them because the people currently in charge have spent the last five years claiming that us on the left are stupid, child-like cultists/thugs and then actively sabotaged a project that we got personally invested in that might have improved this country even the tiniest of fractions in order to run on a "these Tories have some nice ideas actually" campaign.

Now they're demanding we shut the gently caress up and get in-line behind them. They can gently caress off.

Also this! If 'sensible' people are going to lecture/plead for me to vote for labour as the lesser of two evils, it would probably help if those people hadn't spent 4 years calling me a Scumbag, Entryist, Trot, anti-Semite, snowflake child.

Labour could at least try and hide their complete contempt for me at the very least.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Literally annoyed their own childern & grandchildern aren't doing backbreaking labour in the fields.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

My own BAE Systems story is that as I was repairing a waste toner bottle guide on a photocopier - their own fault for moving a photocopier up a flight of stairs on their own in my opinion - is that while I was doing the repair, I overheard a conversation that both of our brand spanking new carriers have sort of big electrical fault that's going to need high seven figures or a low eight figures on each boat to replace. Just casually dropped into conversation like we'd say about replacing a graphics card in a PC

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/06/26/heres-why-britain-is-struggling-to-form-a-fully-effective-carrier-strike-group/

And thats just the stuff you can find from public sources in 15 seconds.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

jabby posted:

It reminds me of a scaled-up version of Al Murray's pub landlord character. Once you realise a decent percentage of the audience isn't there for the irony, it immediately stops being funny.

You can see this took Al Murray by surprise in his big mainstream breakthrough period and he hurriedly had to find ways to put those people in their place in the audience interaction sections. I think it's interesting the last big outing for the character was mocking Farages By-election run.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Personally can't wait to be lectured on the virtues and necessity of voting by all the people that crushed any faith in our political system. Luckily I left the Labour party so at least I'm not paying for the privilige of being abused and humiliated. I think once the anger passes it's going to be pretty liberating just not to care about politics anymore.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

u brexit ukip it posted:

Corbyn wants people to stay in the party, for what it's worth.

Yeah and Bernie Sanders wants people to vote for Joe Biden. Luckily the 'left' isn't the cult of personality it's critics decry it as, so when promient leftist take bad stances you can just ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

In politics whenever I see lecturing on the virtures of compromise, I never actually see any suggestions on where the compromise should be. Immigration? that's always the thing the Labour right write the same article over and over again on, so let's take the hostile environment policy as an example. Should Labour just abandon those british citizens to win a few more votes? I don't really see it netting labour real gains and it would be a disgusting betrayal of those people.

Ok maybe that's a one off. Maybe Labour could compromise on the welfare state instead, cut benefits for disabled people? or aid for single mums? Those doesn't sit well with me, but maybe there workable for the british public?

If centerists want the left to compromise they should and try and argue for a specific policy position, instead of hanging up a vauge banner for compromise as a concept. Let's see which group they're willing to feed to the woodchipper in exchange for electoral success.

It's also worth noting that Labour have lost 4 General elections, not 2, if compromise guaranteed sucess we'd be in Brown's 3rd Term or Ed's 2nd. Ed compromised on pretty much everything and was still RED ED the insane marxist who hates Britian with half his party actively plotting against him.