Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

TACD posted:

E: Greggs Premium guarantees you pizza slices not more than 30 minutes old. Primark Plus gives access to larger fitting rooms with no queues. oh christ I can see the future, help

Waiting time at our tills is currently: 25 minutes.
Buy a Q-Jumper ticket now for only £4.99!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Crankit posted:

Lancre is France.

Nah - you are thinking of Quirm.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

goddamnedtwisto posted:

...but conversely bio powders don't really work at high temperatures

Ooh ooh.. this isn't really true any more, and the reason is really cool (well, I think so at least)

mini-effortpost time!

For hundreds of years we used soap and various acids/alkali materials made from stuff like urine, ash, etc. During the first world war, these chemicals (fat especially which is needed for soap) were running short, so the growing chemical companies at the time started inventing the chemical detergents we have now. But at the same time, biologists started discovering protease enzymes, which break down proteins, like for digestion or recycling within the cell. These could then be used break down the traditional tricky stains such as 'tomato ketchup/chocolate/ice cream' **. However, like most of our proteins, these break down outside the normal body temperature range of 30-40 degrees, hence the 'normal' washing temperatures we have now. If you wash at 60 for example, the enzymes get destroyed completely, and you are left with normal washing powder.

But... billions of years ago, before anyone had even figured out legs, a branch of bacteria formed a unique and rather cool adaptation. 'Normal' cells have cell walls made from two layers of fat/oil that make the cell wall. In this new bacteria, these two layers get stitched together with an extra molecule of phosphorus making the wall much stronger. A bit harder to grow, and not as flexible maybe, but if all you do is chill where other life can't even survive, it's perfect. And these ancient bacteria, or Archaea, have done very well for themselves since. They live everywhere on earth - the pretty coloured bacteria that live in mineral springs for example are Archaea. They even make up a fair amount of our gut biome (and we have never found one that causes any diseases in humans which makes them pretty awesome)

And it's from studying the extremophiles like the hot springs archaea that we now have the protease enzymes in our washing powder that work perfectly well up to 70 degrees or so.

** advert stand-ins for 'blood/poo poo/jizz'

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Dabir posted:

Not very much happens in Pyramids does it

.. that's kind of the point, what with it being a time loop n' all... ;)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Pistol_Pete posted:

Hey, new page: no need to do a snipe, 'cos my original post was pretty much perfect anyway.

* Other post critics have called this differently

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

My kids have a pretty simple uniform that we can buy in Tescos. I'm too good to em, and iron it every morning just so it's nice and warm to put on.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

ConanThe3rd posted:

Speaking as a Scott I get the impression the divide is a mutually miserable shotgun marriage.
English don't hate the Scots. They don't care. If it's a marriage, Scotland is the trophy wife kept at home while England spends all their time pissing about with their drunken posh boy mates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Total Meatlove posted:

Please don’t ignore this, it’s really important that you engage with your supplier on this and get the SMETS2 meter installed.

They do rely on a mobile signal tho, and I'm in rural south wales too, with absolutely no mobile signal whatsoever. A lone figure standing on top of the nearest hill, folornly waving one arm in the air trying to receive a security code is a common sight round these parts.

After the 3rd or so time explaining this over the phone, they stopped bothering me, and noone has bothered me for a couple of years now.