Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

All cops, not just the institution of the police but every single individual copper, are bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

When right-wingers complain about comedy being left-wing they usually mean "not openly bigoted" imo

but in this context it might instead mean "mildly critical of the status quo", which I think is actually all of it apart from the openly bigot stuff anyway?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

The bigot stuff is also critical of the status quo, but it's critical of things like Black people existing.

You can't really make comedy that isn't critical of the status quo in some way (even the arsehole stuff that can gently caress off), because otherwise there'd be no point of reference for the audience. Like even if you were doing a comedy set in First Dynasty Egypt or the Paleocene or something you'd have to pepper it with a mixture of pop-historical things that you think your audience already knows about the scenario and relatable modern day situations.

If you can only view things through broke-brained culture war memes though, that's dirty Marxist indoctrination.
I guess we're allowed to keep the absurdist stuff, but Harry Hill's new BBC thing is just a Matt Berry Does... knockoff instead of a TV Burp knockoff like it should rightfully be :argh:

Also puns are fine I guess, so we could get a Milton Jones/Guavanaut double act on a Friday night?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The only comedy show I watch quite often is Dave Gorman Modern Life.
Got my hopes up that there was a new series :argh:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

DesperateDan posted:

The order of which is up for debate but I feel it's a solid plan none the less
If you crack one out before doing the other two you might be less horny for quitting tho (which probably answers Jaeluni's question)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^ the new Director General that this comes from is a political appointment by and loyal to the Tory party, I think he's a former PPC or something, if that sheds any light on it
Independent Premium, natch, you've got to pay extra for quality content like "I am literally completely unaware that there are loving tonnes of vastly superior independent sandwich joints in p much every town capable of supporting a Pret"

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 1, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Skeletome posted:

Crank one out, surely. You don't "crack" out a wank like your penis is a christmas cracker or a fortune cookie (i hope)
*me, wanking normally*

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

You need a special army driving licence, I once worked for a guy who did the tests, he used to laugh about teargassing people during their tests

Idk if it was true or not but charming guy nonetheless

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm not big on telling people to gently caress off on the internet because honestly it's kind of a hassle, but it seems like a bit of a dick move to just leave it to Miftan

gently caress off Breath Ray

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Vitamin P posted:

That passes the smell test, what's your point?
Obvious trolling, & your sense of smell sucks

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

loving soft ball delivery, "I know you're a compassionate person" & she still loving comes off like a monster.
Jesus Christ, the interviewer was basically straight-up telling her that she was repeatedly trying to give her the opportunity to say that she gives just the least flying gently caress about the poor woman, she's just like "nope :D" :wtc:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

thespaceinvader posted:

We certainly call him Carl of Swindon but IIRC he ran for parliament in cornwall or somewhere.
MEP, & I think Swindon & Cornwall are in the same constituency for that (along with Gibraltar)

Also, grifters tend to just stand wherever, regardless of any actual connection (anyone remember that Nutall interview?)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Old timey binmen did have some p natty outfits tbf

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Dead Goon posted:

I applied to do a Batchelors at the OU and applied for finance. Just need to find my bloody birth certificate!
Won't a death certificate do?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Cerv posted:

why do you think this is some great gotcha?
reporting that Peake said a thing doesn't mean that the paper endorses that statement. and the editorial had already added a correction to the article anyway.
The narrative is that it was an antisemitic thing to say, & the article wasn't reporting that Peake had been antisemitic, so yeah if the editor is gonna endorse that narrative then they should also resign for giving the thumbs-up to print what they now think is antisemitic & a resignation issue

e: what I'm saying is that there's a huge difference between reporting "so-and-so said antisemitic thing, how awful" & "here's our cool & good interview with so-and-so". If the editor did the latter when they're now saying it should have been the former, they are admitting that they consider their own work antisemitic & should resign

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 4, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jfc
https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1301793687555407878
"nuh uh :smuggo:"

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

TACD posted:

I bet people would legitimately pay a disgusting amount of money for a Starbucks Extra subscription which gets you access to the seasonal flavour lattes a week earlier
I refuse to believe that anybody actually likes Starbucks

e: those suffragette cartoons are wicked btw, thanks HDS :)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

People in the comments pointing out that the place was spotless before "someone" broke a bunch of poo poo

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Oh dear me posted:

Nugget was the normal pronunciation at my primary schools tbh, I learned to keep my ladida noogah thoughts to myself.
Both are wrong :colbert: noogat (how it's spelled, basically)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

My controversial opinion is that hangovers are fine, embrace them. Spend an entire day in bed, have hamburgers for breakfast and milkshakes for lunch, watch embarrassingly poo poo TV, drink like 2 litres of fruit juice all in one, just completely lap up feeling really sorry for yourself & take it for all it's worth. Self care is praxis, & a hangover is as good an excuse as any.

(yes, I am in my mid 30s and know what a real hangover feels like, just lean into it, it's fine (I tell myself, burgerkingandyoutubeinbedishly))

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^a colleague in my old office had a couple of cases involving "theft" of pets, iirc, pets are essentially chattels like any other & can be "stolen", but basically they have about zero chance of enforcing that even without the chip (& with throwing a bunch of money at it), so yeah you're p much safe imo. Sorry to hear you went through that, must have been stressful. Well done though, keeping kitty safe & loved is all that really matters here :)

All today's hangover talk inspired me to make a prairie oyster to get back in the game in time for d&d. Would very strongly not recommend, and then even more strongly recommend immediately after

Stir the brandy until ice cold & use extra hot sauce imo. poo poo works

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 5, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lungboy posted:

cats are essentially considered wild and don't belong to anyone
I am 99% sure that this is definitely not true (but, as per my previous post, it doesn't make a lot of difference in practice)

e: also, wild animals generally belong to the landowner

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Not a barrister by any stretch! I teach at a law school & used to work at a law firm is all

Still think you're safe though, apparently my old department had a fair few "pet theft" cases over the years in addition to the ones I saw, and none of them came to anything

Mebh posted:

You are entirely in the right Camrath. Stand your ground and loom.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you've got a good support network over there.

& in case you need reminding, it is always okay to feel sad, your feelings are valid, and it is important that you take care of yourself. Easy to forget that when you're too busy worrying about others.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The sandwiches aren't sold to each other, it's yet more wealth extraction from the worker, the only places that can afford premises where a bunch of large offices are are overpriced poor quality chains like loving Pret

Want money? Go to work. Wanna go to work? loving pay

It baffles me that the political media class think that "won't somebody think of the price gougers" is the way to get people back into the office/prop up the real estate market, the food's much better at home frankly

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lady Demelza posted:

That, and the Spectator apparently got 550 more subscriptions out of the spat.
Imagine if every penny the gammonfolk spent out of pure spite went to a good cause instead

They could end hunger

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I have personal beef with co-op because both of the convenient shops between work & home are co-ops, sometimes you're working late & just want to grab something easy to bung in the oven, but both of them stock the exact same stuff day in day out & none of it is much good for that

Quite like the vegan pizza but you get bored of it pretty quick

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jose posted:

Just witnessed someone be delivered a pint of Guinness and blackcurrant at the pub I was just at and what the gently caress
It's a thing

An Irish bartender told me

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I know that (according to bartenders) there's apparently some thing where they're not allowed to serve more than a certain amount of alcohol in a single glass, unless it's a cocktail, so maybe there is some special licensing thing?

That's how I came to invent my signature cocktail, the Irish Scotch. It's a double scotch with another double scotch mixed in

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Every pub in Germany has some locally produced jager-alike that they'll break out if you ask them for some decent shots, ice cold, no loving red bull, way nicer than the real thing

But I've said it before, there is no bad alcohol, only less good. I miss tesco value "scottish style" bag whisky

e: 27 is significantly less than the number of drinks I've had this weekend, you guys need to stop enabling me

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jedit posted:

White Lightning.
We were all 16 once :colbert:

Just less good than the grown-up poo poo

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

peanut- posted:

Serious question, do other countries actually follow the state aid rules at all?

Because I always get the general impression that, say, France props up its industries massively but it's impossible to know if that's at all accurate with our godawful media.
I do remember from undergrad that there's loving tonnes of cases where France has implemented some kind of protectionist policies & found themselves on the losing end of legal proceedings about it

That being so, there's probably a bunch of case law on exactly how far countries can get away with pushing it, and (as ever) it's probably occasionally more profitable to just break the law & pay the fines, but yeah countries do follow the rules for the most part

Apart from France

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Angepain posted:

Please do not do any Confederate States of America, in a small field or otherwise
Or, um, the other kind of CSA

e: the one that starts with "child"

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Personal favourite avocado toast is with finely diced onion & cherry toms & a shitload of lime juice & salt & pepper, on thick-cut farmhouse toast, topped with smoked salmon & a poached egg

Yes I like to eat the bougie food items, no I will not apologise

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

happyhippy posted:

Are we now listing food that will have to be smuggled into the UK next year?
Stilton will need to be smuugled out of the UK, don't you remember the Japan trade talks :colbert:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

She's not actually wrong though. But:-

(1) See also, domestic law; and,

(2) The usual game is just to claim you're not breaking it & hope nobody cares enough to kick up a fuss, you don't just say "lol I'm breaking this law" jfc

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I think the journos believe that it is in fact us who are being childish for thinking that it might be possible to hold power to account without basically doing whatever it wants. You've got to play the game, you see.

They're also kind of right, in a way, that to get access to good (powerful) sources you kind of need to play ball with them, but fail to consider that if you're doing that you aren't actually holding them to account

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

wondering if he'd actually fare better on the campaign trail hooked up to a ventilator in an ICU/slowly decomposing in a mortuary

e: new covid policy, 10,000 souls a day must be sacrificed so that he may never truly die

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I've still got this tab open from the last time someone asked, haven't got round to buying it yet but it sounds pretty good

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

From "New Rose" being released
True story, my mum went out with Captain Sensible for a bit in the '70s, the literal inventor of selling out. She's got me backstage at Damned gigs a few times (it's not very exciting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

big scary monsters posted:

Just nipping down to the chippie for a jelly supper, anyone want anything?
Couple of days back but I went for Vietnamese food last night & literally had a jelly supper

Jellyfish tastes p much exactly like you'd imagine, not great but the texture works well in the right salad