Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not real until it kills you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I'm aware there isn't much variety in how efficiently you can convert electricity to heat, because literally everything does that as a byproduct, if it's not making a noise or glowing or doing anything else useful, it's converting electricity to heat, so they're all probably the same in terms of efficiency. So your main choice is probably how much you want to spend to have it not melt or set your house on fire.

I'd probably suggest that extra insulation is the easiest option, as well as limiting the amount of space you're heating, which in my case translates to living in a blanket with a hot water bottle.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 1, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He never specified exactly how the invisible hand worked, specifically it gives him an invisible handie until he writes articles supporting that position.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No you see he's such a devilish rogue, he's reached 3rd level and can subclass into Arcane Trickster, therefore gaining mage hand as a cantrip, along with the ability to make it invisible and control it as a bonus action. :eng101:

No joke I actually spent a little while after reading that tweet thinking about some kind of cleric that worships the free market and quotes mises articles at people.

Which would basically be indistinguishable from a libertarian and that's the joke, except that the invisible hand is literal because the market god has literal invisible hands.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Love to eat patriotism 4 dinner.

Love to sleep in a patrioatism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have to assume that graph assumes no further intervention.

Because still the majority of people haven't been exposed to it, so either you have to keep doing lockdowns (if you don't go the full distance to actually eradicate it the first time) or you let it go absolutely wild and pile the dead in the streets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very surprised to see the government treat viral outbreaks the way I treat maintaining my car. Which is to say do the bare minimum until it breaks again rather than stumping up front to fix it properly.

Of course I on the other hand would probably do the latter if I had my own money printer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It me, posting from whatever century it was when the UK owned calais.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Archaeology Hat posted:

I think calais has been french since the mid 1500s

I was wondering if the UK even existed at the same time as not-french calais.

Angepain posted:

If I remember right the government line around March was that an initial lockdown would lead to people getting tired of it and so a second lockdown was unthinkable, nobody would possibly obey that, so if one lockdown wouldn't work then they might as well have no lockdowns

i'd quite like to at least give it a shot if it means people not dying, but who am i. i never even went to oxbridge. what do i know.

Yes well we know what this government is like with its lines.

<george_osborne.gif>

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still can't read that goddamn thing because it's a black line and three green lines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is actually better yes thank you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Having to stick your arm out the window and open it from the outside was a novel experience.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure if it's a northern thing but I was on one of those trains a couple of years ago, which was weird when even the lovely pacers have been presumably refit with powered doors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"If you stopped buying avocado toast you could afford a house."

"People stopped buying avocado toast and it's apparently killing the economy?"

E: Also related to both not buying things from restaurants and also the thread's suggestion I made fried broccoli last night and it was very nice, going to try and find more vegetables to fry tomorrow.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ug not think cart should have wheel, what wrong with sled? When ug small, men of ugs cave lug rocks around with bare hands, now use wheel, make weak men, be eaten by wolf. Ug say, old ways best.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like that's an interesting timescale that goes now > second world war > romans > greeks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A whole society built around people who can only imagine their bins being collected, not doing the collecting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't become a tory because you're bright, but you do think you are, and because you're thick you have to assume everyone else is thicker, somehow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What ever else you might call it that is definitely not a british fish and chips, that's clearly french.

If it was british you'd be fighting off seagulls while shoveling it into your face out of a styrofoam punnet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because he's a tory so he presumably went to some blighted hell restaurant that does le haute poisson avec petit pomme de terre et pois puree en englais du merde.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes it's basically saying "hey this guy seems kinda shifty" except you stick wires to them to quantify various ways in which they're shifty, therefore it's scientific.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The sun's just mad that the psychic testimony of are diana isn't admissible as evidence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gently caress judges and gently caress lawyers, bastards all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It gave me a good laugh so I appreciate it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Welcome to yesterday granddad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The fish is probably actually pretty good, you want it good and crisp cos otherwise the grease pools at the bottom and it goes soggy.

The problem is if it's from the westminster cafe it's probably not very fresh.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 3, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most places in my experience give you fairly soggy fish, it's just a thing. Like it comes out crisp but it doesn't stay that way for long. The best one I ever had was at robin hood's bay and it was about that colour, nice and crisp.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

See I still don't understand why it was so easy for the right to regain control. Did the left massively gently caress up (beyond losing the election) or was this always going to happen?

Turns out the labour party is full of lovely right wingers and the leadership can do what it wants without membership input.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably a mix of both but filtered heavily through their idiot brain prejudices, which the press has a lot of control over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Put all your sex toys on conspicuous display around the house.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think she may have had a little more success if she had gone in literally any direction other than "the more leftish safe pair of hands" to combat "the safest pair of hands" and "the BNP safe pair of hands"

None of the candidates were very distinct rhetorically and you were basically voting on which one you trusted least. Whether it would have made a difference in the end though is debatable.

Fits with the general theme of the parliamentary labour left being quite content to look to their own employment first though.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 3, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you mean we must have an investigation to confirm how that footage came to exist.

(lol that they would even go that far)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I may be rather heavy but I resent being called a whole group of ex labour supporters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just remembered norman tebbit is still alive.

E: Or at least is not officially dead, he's competing with philip for least alive looking self propelled entity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who the gently caress drinks five coffees a day every day you'd loving die in a week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely the pro strat is to start a pret subscription MLM where you sell your 5 coffees to other people who then sell them on again and use their margins to buy their own pret subscription.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely cannot believe that the country which will put any part of any animal into a pie, did not have the concept of frying fish in batter until someone brought it over from spain in the seventeeth loving century.

Like britain had firearms before it had fried fish, what kind of idiot island am I living on?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shin kicking is still popular with a niche crowd.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you send enough people back in time you could solve coronavirus by killing people in the past instead, when there are fewer of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the idea is that the brita filter supposedly makes cheap poo poo vodka taste like good vodka though I can't say I understand why, you can't filter things in solution that I'm aware of.