Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wonder if the clamour to get "back to normal" will fade now that we're in September? Commercial leases generally run September-August, and I can absolutely see the Tories trying to put their thumb on the scale to at least limit the amount of companies deciding not to renew. Obviously a lot of these renewals are negotiated starting in March and April and suddenly another part of the fuzziness around lockdown becomes clear.

Someone I know is employed by a commercial property holding company with a lot of London property and said loads of businesses are handing back the keys and doing a runner on the rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Is that like a Circle Line party? :v:

I remember those from about 35 years ago :D
Went to a Mutoid Waste Exhibition in Notting Hill (or thereabouts) with some friends then we went round the circle line a few times eating Hedgehog crisps and drinking cider.
I don't know if the circle line does a full circuit these days? Whenever I've been on in in the last few years (not very often as I no longer live in London) I've always had to change at Tower Hill or something.

Rent-a-Tool chat:

What century does he live in!
As a temp in the 1980s I had to interlace carbon paper between 3 sheets of other paper to type any letter or memo in triplicate and use eraser tape in the typewriter to erase errors and then go on the carbon copies and use tippex. Too many mistakes and it was type the whole thing again! Internal post between departments, no email, and then when email did appear, only the top managers were allowed to have it and made their PAs print out each email and keep it in a file. And telex - does anyone still do that?

The main reason for having people in offices who could equally (or better) work from home is 'presenteeism'. I had a decent boss who when I was overwhelmed with a ginormous project at one point and asked if I could work from home (25-30 years ago!) said "You know the deadlines, you know what has to be done, I don't care if you sit on a beach in the Bahamas so long as it gets done!" People working for him would stay late, work weekends to finish projects (all unpaid overtime) but then also finish early for parents evenings or school concerts or evening classes on other days or between projects. He got kicked out and replaced with a 'yes man' who would patrol at 9:05am to see who wasn't in, patrol at 4:55pm to see if anyone had already been to the loo and got their coats on, and monitor the 48min official lunch break. Naturally, after a while, noone stayed late, noone came in on weekends, everyone gradually began a 'work to rule' (not any sort of unionized action, that's just what happened.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Embassies and banks, probably.

I know international documentary credits were still telexing one another in the late 2000s

And would take instruction over fax, but not encrypted email because it's not secure. :negative:

Shameful lack of Banda machine.

Banda machines not really useful for individual letters. But great for flyers and round robins.
My dad used to have a gestetner duplicator to do the parish magazine back in the 60s LOL

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, it has been like this from the start. Meanwhile if people go to a park or beach there is a ton of classist tutting from people with their own gardens.

Yeah I'm in quarantine for another 10 days in my 26sqm flat which is full of things like kitchen cupboards, bath, bed and so forth.
The maximum straight length in my flat is 5m and with a wiggle 7m. My leg and hip will seize up completely if I don't exercise daily which I'm not supposed to do under the rules so I've been sneaking out for a 20 min walk early morning before anyone else is around and keeping masked and at the 8m social distancing - not hard when there's literally noone about! - that the Institute of Physics recommends for the rogue mutant droplets lingering in the air waiting to drop on people like the djinn that hang around in trees....

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

MIght be of interest to Twisto and others interested in construction.

Free webinar: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5640216882895062028

Wednesday 9th September 2020:
Social Value in Construction
3:00pm - 4:30pm

Is the UK construction industry taking enough definitive action to embed social value in their businesses? With central government proposing significant policy changes that will require all departments to account for social value with a minimum of 10% weighting in tenders, and with local authorities looking to embed social value in the planning process, this is a must attend webinar.

We will be bringing together the leading figures on social value in construction to debate issues including:
•Procurement and delivery
•Considerations and challenges project teams face in a post covid-19 world
•Investment – how to manage and account for social value within your budgets
•Challenges and solutions regarding the measurement of social value
•How can social value and its legacy impact communities?

Taking place at 3pm on Wednesday 9th September, panellists will include:
•Ben Carpenter, CEO, Social Value International
•Jo Dobson, Associate, Useful Projects
•Kirsty Guy, Senior Manager, Major Appeals & Initiatives, Barnardo’s
•Richard Meier, Co Founder, Stories
•Chaired by: Chloe McCulloch, Editorial Director, Building Magazine

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

is mash report any good? thats Nish's thing right?

I watched it once and it was ok.
Didn't make enough impact on me though to 'bookmark' it in my brain for future watching.
The only comedy show I watch quite often is Dave Gorman Modern Life.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

DesperateDan posted:

I'm also in the "quit labour and has been telling anyone who will listen to quit too" gang and have been for awhile so maybe someone could also remove me from the list of clp members thanks in advance

Of course if anyone is looking for guidance about their labour party membership then they should

A: cancel their direct debit
B: send a resignation email
C: crack one out

The order of which is up for debate but I feel it's a solid plan none the less

Maybe I'm old :corsair: but what does 'crack one out' mean? Fart?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

If you crack one out before doing the other two you might be less horny for quitting tho (which probably answers Jaeluni's question)

Oh erm... yes!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I've friends (with possibly questionable residential status) who used to do sandwich delivery in The City - earned an absolute pittance.
Get to work about 6am, spend several hours buttering slices of bread and doing the fillings, wrapping them up then taking them round city offices hawking them off those neck tray things.

I can't see people making a living wage for a home delivered sarnie to people who are at home with their own bread and butter when you can get a decent egg mayo sarnie pack for £1 from Home Bargains most days.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

I was talking to one of my managers yesterday and they were actually glad to be back in work. Allbeit the reason for it is because they have to keep living with family and it has been "a hard loving lockdown", to borrow a term they used.

Also dealing with older people is rapidly becoming my least favourite thing to do.

Was chatting with a friend yesterday who has just broken up with her partner after they were forcibly stuck at home together for almost 5 months and trying to WFH. The stress of being in a small flat and working from home with different working hours broke them.
I think unless you have a separate study/home office space and quite strict boundaries between work/domestic life including somehow keeping people apart, I can quite see the appeal of an office. Also some people need frequent interaction with others so if you live alone going in to work might also be better. (Ed: also there are still many people who don't consider WFH is actually work. One of my friends is an artist who WFH and people are always expecting her to drop everything to give them lifts, fetch their grandkids from school at short notice, be able to 'pop' several miles to an elderly relative's home to help out with something.)

I wonder if the 'shared local work spaces' - so not at home but also not commuting - business might get a big uptick?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Plus working on your own can be more draining and prone to distraction than working in a team, I say writing forums posts at 1pm.

Not just Deliveroo but JustEat and UberEats and every other one that some VC hopped on years ago.

Some of them even deliver to semirural locations. :popeye:

We have none of those round here.
There are deliveries but it's full on Indian, Chinese or Pizza at a minimum charge of £15 a go. No sarnies.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Most efficient (cost effective) small portable electric heater - any recommendations?

Ed: deleted all that because what I really meant was 'low wattage' and I just remembered that skirting heaters and greenhouse heaters with low watts are available.

You can see what I deleted in quotes by others if you really want to!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I'm aware there isn't much variety in how efficiently you can convert electricity to heat, because literally everything does that as a byproduct, if it's not making a noise or glowing or doing anything else useful, it's converting electricity to heat, so they're all probably the same in terms of efficiency. So your main choice is probably how much you want to spend to have it not melt or set your house on fire.

I guess what I should have added then is the temperature profile - ie does the temperature profile on the thermostat vary by 2-3 degrees or .5 degree or some such.

While I'm musing - wondering how much extra heating from heaters people are using to make up for the loss of heating from incandescent light bulbs?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OK ok, my very sloppy use of language. I guess what I really meant was 'low wattage' - just for background heating. I really don't want a 2kW heater for background.

Just remembered about skirting heaters and greenhouse heaters so shall investigate those.

Don't @me for forgetting all my science when it comes to real life. Mea culpa stupida.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Those personal heaters he mentions in the video seem good for low wattage heating.

He does raise a valid point about thermostat controls too, the heater is always going to be hotter than the room, so a thermostat on the heater body, whether it's a fine tuned digital one or a simple bimetallic strip will always shut off too soon. You want a thermostat away from the heater. Something like this.

re: incandescent lights, I remember during winter we'd put the big light on in the bedroom an hour before bed and it made a significant difference, especially in the single glazing days. A 40W bulb on all the time is enough to keep water from freezing in a shed too (depends on the type obviously, but just as a general observation). Even older, more terrible sources of light are even better heaters, I had a big Aladdin oil lamp in the front room when I first moved in here and the boiler was terrible.

Everything they make better in winter they'd make worse in summer though.

Yeah maybe I should just get a couple of 'rough service' light bulbs from the hardware store instead :)
I can see I have to do more investigating. My head aches I need a nana nap.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My sister and her daughter are terrified about my great niece (aged 4) going back to school this week for all the reasons we've previously mentioned - bubbles, siblings in other bubbles, in other schools, adult school staff and so on (my niece is in the 'vulnerable adult' category).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jose posted:

so ignoring whether or not its a stupid idea is it actually possible for me to get any money from my pension because that £11.5k would be extremely useful rn

As others have said, withdrawing from your pension before age 55 you could end up with nothing.
Note that in 2028 this increases to age 57 which I'm guessing will affect you.

Have a read here.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/pension-release-or-pension-unlocking

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sad Panda posted:

Having gone back to school today for the first time, I'm very much not convinced things will go well. It was an INSET day and other than some slight measures there was basically no social distancing between the vast majority of the teachers. If that's how it is when there aren't 1500 kids then I can't see how it gets better when they all turn up.

What was stopping the social distancing? Physical space or teachers not bothering or a mixture?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

I take the view that these things work because most people are actually fundamentally decent, the cunts just do massive amounts of overtime to make it seem otherwise.

This.

And also if you take someone's baggage and you get a random check from the Customs you could be for it especially if there's anything dodgy in there.
"Really, officer, I don't know how all those dollars got in my suitcase sandwiched between the pages of books'",
"You mean this bag of white powder, ISN'T icing sugar?"

etc.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I saw this and didn't notice the word "Scotland" at first.

(From the Graun).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

They weren't so fond of the binmen when they went on strike (hence Thatcher) or when they dropped litter all over the garden if you didn't pay up the Christmas Box.

Oh dear, I just looked up that FB page and two of my friends 'like' it. One it is undoubtedly for research purposes (she is a good person and will probably stand for AM next year). The other, that explains a lot LOL

And who called it a page or 2 ago for the Strictly with the same sex couple?

Top post on their page:

I shan't share anymore from that place!

Reading some more (one of those dreadful posts about getting kicked from here to kingdom come did me no harm as a child) - why is appalling spelling/grammar a big hint you're dealing with fash?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

lol that is amazing amateur hour poo poo

When I went to submit my PhD, my uni had forgotten to move me off the MPhil to PhD track - I nearly had a meltdown! (Everyone was registered onto the MPhil initially and as I started in a January not a Sept/Oct I got overlooked). Luckily it was easily sorted!

Dustbins:

Do you remember when urban steel bands used proper old dustbins (and of which I can't find a single example on youtube - they always used to be on Blue Peter or whatever back in the olden days) not these new fangled specially made steel drums?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

I applied to do a Batchelors at the OU and applied for finance. Just need to find my bloody birth certificate!

Get a replacement one here:

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

kecske posted:

Portuguese has the word Saudade for this kind of pining for 'the good old days'. Apparently Welsh has the equivalent Hiraeth but i cant tell if it's a legit everyday word or just an Instagram tattoo word.

According to Google Translate it's Welsh for 'nostalgia'

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Camrath posted:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/who-invented-fudge

Interesting article you might like if you get a few minutes:

America’s Early Female College Students Held Illicit Fudge Parties
“Vassar chocolates” became emblems of women’s education.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Camrath posted:

Thanks, that was hugely interesting :) Now to see if I can hunt down accurate versions of their recipe and see how it compares to mine.

This month’s fudge order meanwhile is all boxed out and will be shipped out tomorrow morning. :)

You can get the book they linked to from Amazon: Oh Fudge!: A Celebration of America's Favorite Candy
which might or might not contain that recipe!
Maybe you could do an 'International Women's Day' special if you find the recipe!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dentist chat:
Do you have to live within a certain catchment area to get an NHS dentist or can you (try) to register with anyone?
The only NHS dentist round here has a humungous waiting list. But there's one about 5 miles from my mother's house that is apparently taking on patients (though I'm not 100% sure of that).
Also, I'm in Wales and she's in England.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tarnop posted:

Had my PIP tribunal today. The judge correctly identified that the DWP had made contradictory decisions by awarding me zero points for everything in my PIP assessment and then, 2 months later, putting me in the highest support category for universal credit. The DWP did not address this decision in their package of evidence for the tribunal.

So, presumably, this should mean that, as well as re-evaluating my application on its own merits, the statements from the DWP should be considered by the judge in light of their contradictory decision making. Right? Nope.

The DWP "have to be given chance to submit new evidence" and my hearing that I've waited 16 months for gets adjourned after 3 minutes, putting me to the back of the queue for tribunal hearings and sentencing me to another year+ of poverty. Working absolutely as intended.

Sorry to hear that :(
I wonder if the judge has a clue as to how this sort of nonsense actually affects real life people.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress judges and gently caress lawyers, bastards all.

Not all. The poster ITT isn't ;)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

the sex ghost posted:

Cool to see that accidentally replying all and mixing up CC and BCC is a hilarious office jape and not something that would get me immediately fired

The worst is when someone emails the entire (national!) organisation to notify of a change of job / phone / after work drinks up in Darlington or somewhere (when you work in Croydon) and people start using 'reply all' to say 'take me off the list' or 'who are you' so it just escalates out of control jamming up everyone's inboxes and slowing the national IT down. Obviously when you are on a deadline to get the monthly figures out before the Chief Executive has you on the pointy seat to explain yourself.

Guavanaut posted:

Why would they organize a mob for a competing product? :dadjoke:

:Groan: I see what you did there.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Let's put a pin in that and i'll touch base with you later. Buzzwords have a use and i think it's worth doing a deep dive on why

:barf:

We are where we are and we need some out of the box thinking on how we can improve performance when the mgt won't approve funding of temp/contract staff to cover the 2 people on long-term sick, nor the £1500 piece of kit which would save the company £bazillions . Let's take this offline post meeting.

Primary school chat:

We did the hokey cokey as a class (we were Year 2 I think in the new money) and everyone (except me obviously) missed a bit out. I got into a super grump and refused to continue and sat in the corner with a major frowny face and folded arms. That was 55 years ago. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Labour chat:

I recall post "chicken" coup that McDonnell said something along the lines of "They're so fuckin' useless they can't even do a coup properly" but there they were, in the background, couping away silently in the night. Not the PLP so much as party staffers.
Makes me wonder just how much of what was going on Corbyn & McDonnell were in complete ignorance of and whether the 'coup' in the daylight was just a front to make them think they'd won?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

I keep thinking how hard it is to get involved in anything when you can't really meet up. I'd meant to get more involved in stuff this year, then Covid happened and it's all been a bit poo poo.

I think it depends to some extent on the skillset of those in the activities you want to get involved with.

Taking my CLP for example: my CLP has 4 branches. The branch I was secretary of until I resigned in January has a FB page and group which have pretty well died since I quit as the new secretary has only had 1 meeting before covid and doesn't seem very interested and had to be arm-twisted into taking the role on as the only person capable of understanding the labour Organize system. So the branch has all but died off.

2 of the branches though are quite active on their FB pages and groups and have organized monthly 'zooms' which seem to have been better attended than regular meetings.

This is something I was trying to push when I was in the party - we are so geographically spread out, and f*k all public transport, let alone the age profile of the branch does not lend itself to people coming out after dark from the sticks in their dodgy old morris minors or whatever they drive if they drive. I tried over a couple of years to get the CLP to bring in online meetings for exec, GC / AMM as well as branch meetings but they kept finding excuses not to. Now they've been pretty well forced into it.

Local amnesty / environmental / sustainable food groups are also doing zooms.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Breath Ray posted:

is the labour Organize system tricky for first timers then? maybe it's something you could do a teach-in on if thats the only thing holding people back from secretary work, unless youre not keen for the CLP to revive under starmer.

I'm not in the party anymore so I can't teach anyone anything as I don't have access to systems (understandably).

Also, I find teaching any sort of IT thing to luddites* enormously stressful. It quite literally keeps me awake at night. They asked me to teach them facebook - how hard can pressing 'like' or making a comment be? I would make a post in our closed branch group and say "please go to the original post - by pressing the word 'post' next to where it says 'Jae shared a post' and press a like or make a comment" and they would still all press 'like' in the closed group where noone sees it and you need likes etc on the original public post to get FB to actually share the wretched thing. I was so stressed about the whole thing I finally had to say I couldn't do it.

*by luddite I mean people who have no idea what I mean when they can't find their email attachments which they have saved to their computer and I ask them where is their download folder, people who if you ask them what version of Windows they are on say Word 10, if you ask them what browser they are using, they say Windows.......

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CancerCakes posted:

Considering what happened to RLB, liking and commenting is potentially career ending so...

Ha yes. I was meaning the mechanics of it.

That said, when I was doing the posting on the public pages I kept everything very bland, nothing negative unless it was a share direct from the Labour Party or Welsh Labour official pages and I put settings on the page to block any words/phrases such as "trot" "blue labour" "red tory" "blairite" (because calling someone a blairite was one of the reasons for expelling some Corbyn supporters from the party in 2016!) and various other phrases.

I did lay it on the line that they should assume anything posted on FB was public even if they think it's not especially with the propensity for friends and family to screenshot and share.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fish n chips chat:

As British as fish n chips: article by Jo Brand on how refugees inspired fish n chips.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/refugee-migrants-fish-and-chips-priti-patel-jo-brand-a9700871.html

quote:

Why I'm shining a light on the refugee origins of fish and chips
At this crucial time in British politics, there has never been a more important moment to celebrate the power of standing with those who have had no choice but to flee to safety

Jo Brand

I have done a decent bit of acting in my time but I never imagined that I would play a bit of battered fish.

I was certainly curious when the International Rescue Committee asked me to star in a video about fish and chips alongside football’s Gary Lineker and the refugee and actor Yasmin Kadi.

Now, it will not come as a great galloping surprise that I love fish and chips as much as the next Brit. But what I learned is that when you delve into the history, you discover that we actually have refugees to thank for this much loved British dish.

Fried fish was originally introduced to Britain by Jewish refugees fleeing persecution in Spain and Portugal in the 16th century. Chips were likely brought over by French protestants in the 1600s.

Fish and chips – that perfect marriage of beige and batter – were first put together by another Jewish immigrant, Joseph Malin, who opened the nation’s first known fish and chip shop in London’s east end in the 1860s.

This isn’t just a fun bit of trivia. Fish and chips are just one example of the incredible contributions that refugees have made to the communities that welcome them. It has been inspiring to witness refugees – the NHS doctors, the mask-makers, the community volunteers – step up to help during the coronavirus pandemic.

Yet, countries around the world are turning their backs on them. Only a tiny percentage of refugees have been given the chance to rebuild their lives in safety. In the United States, the Trump administration has set refugee admission targets at a historic low. Closer to home, we are seeing countries across Europe closing their doors to refugees.

This is a question that goes to the heart of British values. When I think of Britain, I think of a country of compassion and welcome. After all, refugees have always contributed to this country, and we should give them every opportunity to do so now.

That’s why the unusual origins of fish and chips is a lesson for today. When we welcome refugees, they bring more than their belongings. They bring hard work, potential, and contributions.

When we welcome refugees, they thrive, they make our communities stronger and more dynamic. Refugees make our country a better place. After all, can you imagine a Britain without fish and chips?

At this crucial time in British politics, there has never been a more important time to celebrate the power of welcoming and standing with refugees.

After finding myself rendered a talking fish, giving Lineker a lesson on the origins of fish and chips, I’ve never been so happy to be on the right side of history.

Or should I say, fish-story.

Mind you I find it hard to believe that no one in Britain fried a fish before the 16th century!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

SpaceCommie posted:

I just put in an offer on a flat partially because the owners had a chatty cat in there when I arrived.

It's made me miss my old cat, but I've never had to go through the early stages of cat ownership. How long does training them to use the litter box etc take? Do you keep your inside? I grew up in the middle of nowhere so we just used to let them roam free.

My kitties (now dear departed) were 8 weeks old when I got them and they already knew how to use a litter tray. I guess their mothers teach them!

I kept them in for the first year (ground floor flat, Walthamstow) because the flat was so near the road, market etc. (When I was a teen, we had a little kitten a few weeks old and my dad made her go out the cat flap - he had stern views about cats should be outside at night - which faced on the road and the inevitable happened the first time she went out, completely unaware of roads, cars etc).

Then I took girlie walkies on a cat harness to sniff round the back garden and get used to the smells and familiarize herself with my window then let her off the harness and also I put her in the cat cage and took her about balanced on top of my shopping trolley (don't mock - just about everyone in Walthamstow had one back in the day - useful for fetching large bags of kitty litter, doing a weekly shop, bringing self-build cupboards back from Argos etc) to get used to the sounds and smells of the city.

My very shy boy would not have the harness at all and sat on the window sill for several weeks watching my girlie jump in and out exploring the garden before he tentatively, one day, jumped off the window sill and back on again sharpish. He gradually got more confident and then used to roam quite far around all the back gardens.

(Btw if anyone has an elderly cat who has arthritic hips and can't get in the litter box easily or at all like my boy when he was old, I bought puppy pads and placed them around the litter tray and he went on those.)

My boy was a bit dense. He couldn't figure out the cat flap between the living room and the unheated icy cold kitchen until girlie went through it a few times and he watched her closely.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 4, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

They were so friggin' awful to Corbyn - bullying, harassment. Just shows how strong a person he was to survive that for over 4 years.
My admiration for the Jam Man grows.
I'm sickened knowing these people who vulnerable constituents turn to for help are some of the biggest bullies around.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

justcola posted:

I like to imagine how I'd fare if I travelled back in time and how to use my knowledge to survive, particularly as I have no relevant skills to the Medieval period and my way of speaking English would sound bizarre. I think I would end up an urchin.

I think my best option would be to hie me to the nunnery lest I be burnt at the stake or whatever the equivalent was in Medieval times as a witch.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

DesperateDan posted:

Good meal before you drink, lots of water during and after

If you gently caress that up and are suffering/are suffering regardless due to heroics, then a greasy fry-up will at least help your morale

I don't really miss drinking but I especially don't miss hangovers- especially the multiple day ones granted by hitting thirty

Late teen, early 20s, don't particularly drink a lot, do not hang round in student bar, bezzie mate and I hung around in the snack bar instead stuffing faces on pizza, no hangovers.

Late 20s, start drinking quite heavily, hangovers but keep drinking anyway. Start to drink 3 pints of water after a night out and before going to bed, seems to help!

Age 28 - a teetotal year - having gone to work 4 mornings in a row with a bad hangover having NOT BEEN OUT because one of you flatmates goes to the offie every night and you all get plastered in the living room, and the boss' secretary running a spirit bar every Friday afternoon from his office as he has a long meeting every Friday, and she takes it as a personal insult if you don't drink, so have a year teetotal which pretty well manage apart from the night the barman in the Intrepid Fox gave me the bottle of Delirium Tremums lager - it wasn't that one but something akin in alcohol level - which is right next to the low-alcohol lager and I don't notice.

Early 30s, remember how horrible hangovers are but keep drinking but cutback on a school night

Late 30s, remember how horrible hangovers are and cut back on drinking in advance

Early 40s, the only reason you drink is because you're 'not a team player' if you don't go out and get plastered once a week with work colleagues. Start to feel quite ill (in a different way to a hangover) every time but haven't yet concluded alcohol is to blame

Mid 40s, discover that I have a bad reaction to alcohol (tachycardia, extremely elevated blood pressure so you can actually feel the blood thumping round your veins and have to sit at the top of the steps at the tube before being able to make the 5 mins walk home from there) - I call this an 'allergy'.

Age 45 - now seriously concerned and go teetotal which I have now maintained for 15 years. (Exceptions: 1 thimble full of pear wine at dad's 70th which made me feel ill, 1 liqueur chocolate but with the liqueur NOT as liquid but mashed up in the foamy stuff, 1 rum & raisin icecream.)

60 (now) - still teetotal after all these years. No hangovers. Mostly drink water and the very occasional 'no alcohol lager' because most non-alcoholic drinks are very sweet and unrefreshing let alone the sugar punch and the gut rot after 3 fruit juices or bitter lemons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Once in a while the Americans get it right. Nothing will excuse the way they pronounce buoy or clique, though.

or EYE-rack (Iraq), EYE-ran (Iran), AYEE-dolf (Adolf) etc.