Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

bessantj posted:

Just seen the headline about the BBC possibly axing Left-wing comedy shows, I don't watch a lot of TV but what comedy shows are the BBC currently showing? I'm guessing HIGNFY is one of them.

Basically. Too many leftist* comedians** doing down the country and mocking The People's Brexit

* Not actually leftist
** Arguably comedians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Bobstar posted:

https://twitter.com/gdimelow/status/1300901493869031425?s=21

The bins! THE BINS! The bins are too safe and practical! :bahgawd:

MAMBA-PAMBY

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I don't get the nostalgising for old timey bins.

I mean, I sort of do, you get to an age and start to realise that the cultural ephemera that was the unquestioned background of your young years has vanished a bit at a time, and you can't pinpoint the moment the world you're living in now supplanted it. It's alienating; a part of your interior world, your memory, forever belongs to a place that no longer exists.

But like, it wasn't *better*. And even if it were, for you, personally, are you going to submit people to more hardship just so you can live in it again for one more day? This sounds like I'm deliberately making a heavy handed Brexit analogy and I'm not.

Be thankful you get to leave your surplus things outside and someone does the dirty work of coming and taking them away for you, and try and remember they're human beings and to treat them with respect and not make their job any harder than it needs to be. It's not difficult.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I dunno, I think the Socrates quote is more "kids these days..." which is intergenerational snark. The modern equivalent of that is complaining about smashed avocado snowflakes.

This is more getting misty eyed about smokeless fuels and pining for the coal fires you knew as a girl, back when you could send children up chimneys. And it's not the fires specifically, it's wanting to live forever in the safe bubble of your youth, and being prepared to put other people at risk and increased hardship to get it. And if you ever did get it, it would be everything else, and you'd just keep sacrificing people to try and rebuild the past one brick at a time.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
You get a lot of "sodder" on the electronics youtubes too

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I-boop-ruh-fen

*boop*

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Condolences WhatEvil, that really sucks, it's the nightmare scenario your loved ones getting ill when you can't see them. Hope you manage to safely somehow.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

justcola posted:

I was talking to someone today and started talking about the song 'Hitler's only got one ball' - she was German and hadn't heard it, but I assumed most people in Britain were familiar with it. Is this still the case or has it faded from schools by now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1DWJQkOJew

Purple drinks chat: It was pernod and black when I was a student but maybe that's just the people I hung around with. Either way, yes. Purple vom.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

An actor. He was in Lewis for example as the Oxbridge educated, drop out trainee priest sidekick.
(Actually can't think of anything else he was ever in.)
I think he was married to someone who was in Dr Who at some point too but I might be wrong and can't be assed to check.

His sister is Emilia Fox off of Silent Witness, who is a FOAF and apparently lovely, which at least in comparison seems legit

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

justcola posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew why young people talk on the phone via the loudspeaker? I lent my phone to a lad and he put it on loudspeaker straight away then starting talking to it like a Star Trek communicator - I noticed it a few years ago when I was managing another guy on work experience and he was trying to book a venue - but it just seems odd to me. I could understand if their hearing was hosed or it was a way of having your friends hear a conversation or something, but I don't know really.

or is that question just cringe 😂😂😂😂

That particular way of holding the phone with the screen facing the sky and talking into the bottom of it with the loudspeaker on *seemed* to coincide with the boom in reality TV. Quite often they'd have to capture both sides of a phone call, and the various ways of doing that properly (using special phones, clipping something to the phone, getting a film crew in to cover whoever's making the call) were much more annoying to set up than just putting it on speaker and floating a shotgun mic over the heads of the people on the phone. (Hence the phone being held at that weird angle).

I've got no idea if this is just coincidence but I want to believe that it's totally down to people watching that on TV and just internalising "oh yes, that's a reasonable way to hold a mobile phone, of course" and copying it. Like once enough people were doing it it just caught on and became a thing.

Edit: 48 is a mobile phone operator in Ireland and the international access code for Poland

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 10, 2020

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Turns out that in the event of being slowly taken over by Nazis the people of the UK didn't need any prompting to carry on doing whatever they were doing

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

crispix posted:

loving hell that's ridiculous lol

How can it possibly take that long to develop a loving mobile app with such a small set of requirements :/

From the people that brought you the slogan "stay ALERT" before working out what the letters in the acronym meant.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

Just watched this, it's good and ties up a bunch of things previously covered about conspiracy mindsets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

It's fantastic, this. I said it in the RGD thread but it's well worth the time investment to watch it and ties it up in a really succinct way. But don't skip to the end, it's a great punchline but feels much better with the long run-up

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Mega Comrade posted:

It is something to be concerned about though. Softbank is a holding company, they generally just buy stuff, wait for it to grow (like apple announcing a huge deal with ARM) then sell it for a profit. Nvidia is tech company who will likely wont to merge elements of ARM into their own business. As much as Nvidia pinky promise not to move the guts of ARM out of Cambridge, they will try it at some point. And the Government should put things in place to prevent this, however this goes against glorious free capitalism, so likely won't happen.

The sadly hilarious part of this is that we have this homegrown company whose product is at the heart of the one hot consumer item with global reach that cuts across class and age demographics, the mobile phone, just as we're severing ties with our closest trading ally and we desperately need something relevant to keep international trade alive. And we're STILL loving it up.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

I will say one thing of starmer he's got a nice range of facial expressions if you like "grinning like a loon, looking serious, and experiencing existantial horror"

It's the startled ruddiness and never looking quite comfortable in a suit. Every photo of him looks like paperrazzi shots of a high-street butcher from Peterborough who's been found putting human meat in the organic sausages, arriving for his court hearing.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This is perfect, can you tweet it or something so I can source it as a quote?

Hee, I don't have a public twitter, just steal it, it's fine :D

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Andrexodus II

Last I read they were saying it looks like kids are more susceptible to the heart symptoms than the flu but if course we won't really know until much later. On the one hand it's not hard proof, on the other its your HEART. Can't imagine how parents are being blasé about that risk. Lying there feeling my heart run slow and thinking welp, better write out my will wasn't the most fun bit of Corona, dunno about you

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Total Meatlove posted:

Everything on the south coast between Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester is hosed in that scenario. Joy

You're just not seeing the genius of it. Erect hard borders a county inland then do nothing on climate change and wait for them to become the new coastline.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

forkboy84 posted:

Nah you piss yourself first, keep making GBS threads yourself for the really stubborn person next to you on the bus.

You piss yourself, and they gladly move, because you'd been insulting them for the last 10 stops and, well... piss.

Later, long after everyone else has left the bus you poo poo yourself just to say "and another thing".

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

justcola posted:

So I'm clear - QAnon believes in an international satanic paedophile illuminati style group that will take over the world, and believe coronavirus isn't real/a bioweapon in order to keep people indoors and wearing masks so we become disconnected from each other, and this strand is a front to 'Save our Children' by holding protests that will drag others into the QUniverse?

"Believe" is a strong term, where "assert" will do. The world of today is too complex and chaotic and they are trying to create a simpler world via authoritarian domination, spinning a narrative that puts their enemies in the crosshairs by tying groups they don't like into a global conspiracy. See, FoldingIdeas' video "In Search Of A Flat Earth".

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

StarkingBarfish posted:

gently caress that's good.

Pigfucker is entirely correct that austerity prepared britain for covid if you think in terms of of a tory: austerity killed off lots of vulnerable people who would have added to the covid death stats.

When a Tory says "Britain" there's no silent "people of..." implied there.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The "things can only get better" arc, as tempting as it is, is strongly tied to priviledge though. Especially when it folds into "and it just happens naturally without me having to do anything particularly".

Anyone born after the second world war has been living in a bubble of increasing peace... as long as you lived in one of the stable european countries that wasn't literally getting invaded.

Economic prosperity has been on the up and up... as long as you weren't one of the people being shafted by capitalism and the growth of the rentier economy

Rights for minorities have been tending towards the positive frictionlessly... as long as you weren't one of the people who actively had to fight for those rights and drag governments kicking and screaming into doing the right thing.

Which is why it tends to hang around in the minds of the well-off, cis hetero white middle class males, fubpee twitter, and so on as a misty eyed "why can't it just be how it was". Well, because you've been freewheeling down the hill of history and not noticing the gradient change. Didn't notice when it was getting better more slowly, didn't notice it bottom out, didn't notice it getting worse. Your successive generations, though, have been shouting ever louder because their experience has been very different.

The more distant from actual struggle, the mistier the eyes

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

Going to tell my kids the overton window is the window through which richard overton shot the entire house of lords in the bum with a longbow.

The Overton window is just opposite Victoria station

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It's this thinking that being transphobic (or racist, or misogynist etc) is something that you ARE rather than something that you DO. Everywhere there are people not listening, you find it, and it just leaves people writing smug op eds or shouting past each other, confident that they can't possibly be the problem because they have a trans friend, or a black friend while participating in structural oppression and ignoring people's criticisms of what they're still getting wrong.

That's not to say that there aren't racist or sexist or transphobic people, of course there are. But like I've lost family members to the brain worms who've been swearing up and down they're not a racist but... and not transphobic but... and out come the "legitimate concerns". It's like, look at yourself

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
God I bet French QAnon is having a field day with the Parisian catacombs full of literal skeletal remains and all the fake buildings that are just a facade for the Metro vents.

quote:

The recent folding ideas video about it is a good watch. Broadly it is easier for people to double down and rewrite reality than it is for them to accept vulnerability and culpability.

Yep, posting again, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Stormgale posted:

Sure, I just feel that any biological element to gender idendity might be useful in applying medical treatment (hormone interactions), wedding the cart to "Well theres this part of the brain that shows someons is trans". What happens if I don't have that particular element? Or it's borderline? Also I think it very much limits our discussion of gender identity to al ine between male/female (like identifying nonbinary as in the middle of the two).

I've said this before but it's *incredibly similar* to the arguments about a genetic cause for homosexuality in the early 90s, which as a bisexual scientist I was watching with interest.

Bear in mind the context of gay rights in the country at the time, there'd been some success but it was still ingrained that you shouldn't promote homosexuality in schools, it was a niche thing relevant to maybe 10% of the population, adoption was seen as iffy as gently caress by a huge amount of people, prejudice was still rife in wider culture even though you had the odd token character turn up in soap operas. Meanwhile, we were sequencing the genome and people were saying "hey, you know there might be a genetic basis for this".

Which split people into two ideological camps: one, that it would be a great thing to find because you could say "look, this is something that's there from birth, it's part of someone's nature, it's immutable, so people ought to accept it once and for all". The other, "if we can find a cause of it we can test for it, we can do a eugenics, and that would be bad. Also, it's kind of skeevy to be medicalising something that *is loving normal*". You had people supporting one or the other side regardless of their sexuality, or taking a bit from both sides. But it was an argument, and it was happening.

The outcome was that society just moved past that, by chilling the gently caress out about medicalising and dissecting people's romantic and sexual alignments. No, obviously homophobia didn't disappear, but a bunch of lovely legislation got cleared away, the fight continued for more acceptance and better legal protections and equality, and now we live in a world where the majority of people of some generations no longer consider themselves straight. It's a continuum you can find yourself in, and the more accepting the community the more honest people can be, the more they can be happy as they are.

So as a trans person I get it, I get the need some people, even some trans people have to latch on to a medical... thing to say "look, here it is, now gently caress off forever and stop bothering us" but I'd much rather skip past that part to the bit where we don't treat it like a medical issue with doctors as gatekeepers, people can identify how they like and the world goes about its business without a bunch of chuds and well-moneyed authors throwing their weight behind chromosomes-for-dummies without realising that the world is more varied and beautiful than the narrow view they grew up in and they read about in GCSE biology.

That's why I'm happy to see Judith Butler doing that hilarious interview. The medical stuff is a curio, the lived experience is the ground truth

Edit: unintentional misgendering

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 24, 2020

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

I see the comparison, but I think the big difference was that most of the scientists looking for a testable biologic cause for homosexuality were either literal Nazis in the 1940s or people coming out with comments like "of course, it would be a mother's choice to abort gay fetuses if we could develop a test" in the 90s. The Mail being on board with it should say everything.

Whereas most of the people searching for biological clues to gender identity in the 2010s/20s are firmly in the affirmation camp, along the lines of "how do we best use endocrinology to affirm people's identities" and "maybe we shouldn't be operating on newborns genitalia for socio-cosmetic reasons", which on balance is a good thing.

Oh sure, and yeah, it's flipped this time, I dunno if its a sign of more enlightened times or what. I knew way more gay people who didn't give a gently caress and were just living their lives. But I do remember the discourse, I *definitely* remember what the likes of the Mail were doing with it, and the more thoughtful people being "well, you know it's interesting...". It didn't seem to divide neatly down lines of sexuality or acceptance, just like now most trans people I know see the transmed stuff as either annoying or actively abhorrent, but you do get transmeds. And, allies who channel their acceptance through transmedicalism without meaning to.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

Hopefully the public discourse will move past having to justify why affirmation therapies exist, and it'll mostly be for the benefit of people who can't yet express their identity, like the very young.

That's all I'm trying to say really. Now as back then I find the scientific discourse and the various ways it's digested and regurgitated by the popular consciousness impossible to ignore and it's exhausting, even as it supports me. The point I was trying to make was I remember this from last time, the good bit happens when we all get past this. Or, if I could disengage from it entirely! But it's a pandemic, and we're all Very Online Now.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hammersmith Bridge (another gift to the world from Bazalgette) uses chains because it's old enough that it was built before they could reliably make steel cable. Realistically of the pre-war London bridges should have been replaced by now - that they're standing at all is a testament to just how little the Victorians (and Edwardians) hosed around and just how tiny the horizons of modern Capitalism are, because Richard Rogers managed to make a bridge incapable of dealing with people walking on it, and after millions of pounds of remediation work it's still likely to need complete replacement before Hungerford Bridge, over a hundred years older.

I've always wondered how much of it was "I am going to make the *strongest ever bridge* that all may marvel at its sturdiness" and how much was "I have no idea if this thing is gonna hold so might as well overspecify".

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Thank you to everyone who explained Victorian bridge specification techniques :) A long time wondering resolved.

Also Kent being an international border is hilarious, who could've predicted?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

The punchline to that Flat Earth video FoldingIdeas did keeps being relevant.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Tesla was right posted:

I'm far behind in the thread so I don't know if this has already been stated, but Judith Butler's nonbinary.

Ah, poo poo. Didn't know that. Sorry Judith.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Angepain posted:

god Truss is such a waste of space

I don't know why I'm still disappointed by politicians not remotely acknowledging the point of questions and just reiterating some barely-related talking points on the vague issue after a good 15 years of paying attention to politics, but still

It's the depressing inevitability of it all, we all saw this coming, it just makes me want to retch. I feel like the last few years since transitioning has felt like being publicly vivisected; on the one side of the table a bunch of doctors digging through and going "Don't worry, we'll find your validity here somewhere", on the other side a haruspex pointing out how my intestines clearly show the fall of civilisation. Just want to live my goddamn life.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Why does this look like a Burger King ad

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Mr. Fortitude posted:

At this point I'm 99.9% convinced that Keir Starmer is a Tory plant in the Labour Party, working his way up until he becomes leader and then just agrees with everything Boris Johnson is doing.

No it's three terms of Blair was long enough for enough center, center right people to see that iteration of the Labour party as the norm and Corbyn as the aberration. They're steering it back into waters they feel comfortable in regardless of whose needs it serves. (Theirs. Never the base)

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I paid up for a year last December but I won't be renewing. Leaving aside the main party stuff, the two people I was most close to in the CLP the short time I was there are unambiguously gender critical despite being friendly and supportive to my face when I joined. Just too tiring to deal with, the CLP being good and central party being poo poo I could cope with or the other way round but not both. And yeah, I could forward the whatsapps to LGBTLabour but whats the point frankly.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol I wish, Tom Scott has what would pretty much my dream job. Besides he doesn't talk about trains or London nearly enough, I'm probably somewhere in the middle of a triangle formed by him, Jay Foreman:

and Geoff Marshall:

e: With a bit of Techmoan and Big Clive mixed in

Oh god, you need to start a channel then. Seriously, that's the half of my youtube subs that's not about gender or anarcho-communism right there.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
If the state sees cancelling as violence it is entirely on brand to claim the monopoly on it

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1309775211961683969?s=19

when even the loving centrists are further left than your absolute wreck of a party, you have my permission to die

And the thing is, they're triangulating. You know it, I know it, everyone knows that in practice they can say this poo poo to appeal to a demographic and they're never ever going to have to implement it.

But here's why it's poo poo:

1. Labour *should* be strongly for this. It should not be a problem for keith to come out and have said this before now.
2. If they come out for it now, *Labour* will look like the ones cynically trying to scoop up votes
3. The lib dems having said this first is going to split the labour vote, even with everything I said at the top there. Starmer has left an open goal and they've taken a shot at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

happyhippy posted:

loving hell, Hollyoaks is 25 years old this month.

Ice Ice Baby is 30