Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

bessantj posted:

Just seen the headline about the BBC possibly axing Left-wing comedy shows, I don't watch a lot of TV but what comedy shows are the BBC currently showing? I'm guessing HIGNFY is one of them.

Mrs Brown's Boys, so if the Torygraph's attempt at a self-fulfilling prophecy of the BBC axing some comedy comes to pass and that awful show is removed I can live with the rest going too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Borrovan posted:

e: ^^^ the new Director General that this comes from is a political appointment by and loyal to the Tory party, I think he's a former PPC or something, if that sheds any light on it

Independent Premium, natch, you've got to pay extra for quality content like "I am literally completely unaware that there are loving tonnes of vastly superior independent sandwich joints in p much every town capable of supporting a Pret"

Annoyingly (or happily depending on your POV) you can't bypass that paywall like you can with other newspapers.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mega Comrade posted:

For the vast majority of pensions, if you are under 55 the answer is a no.
For those you can it's still a terrible idea due to fees and tax. They will charge you up to 30% commission and then the tax man will hit you for 55% of the rest. If you took out the whole £11.5k you could end up with as little as £3.5k of it.

You could end up with as little as £0 of it as the companies that offer this "service" are often scammers and will take your cash and gently caress off leaving you with nothing plus the tax bill to pay.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Hold on to your pants (other underwear styles are available) for the incoming flood of bile, Strictly is having a same sex couple this year.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

bessantj posted:

Rule, Britannia! Back on the Menu!

Makes you proud to be British that such a non story can get so much column inches. :britain:

Amol was being interviewed on BBC lunchtime news and was saying that common sense has prevailed. Thanks BBC for such balanced reporting. I'm definitely reassessing my view on the licence fee, from "the BBC is a great institution with some poo poo people in and can be fixed" to "gently caress the BBC they deserve what they get".

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Those replies weren't to that tweet as he's disabled comments from people he doesn't follow.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonzo McFee posted:

Retweets with comments.

My lack of Twitter understanding exposed for all to see!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The crest on the plate of that hugely disappointing fish supper suggests they were served in the palace of Westminster, which means we paid for that monstrosity.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

crispix posted:

Axing Jeremy Kyle

God that sounds like a fun team-building away day activity.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1301406437458038784?s=19

The original tweet included the line "so the government admits Tony Abbot is a homophobe and misogynist it just doesn't care".

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's also not an expert on trade or diplomacy.

According to Hancock simply being PM endows him with ultimate level trade negotiation skills, same as Blair becoming Middle East Saviour.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Anyone laughing out loud on the tube is a serial killer.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

hemale in pain posted:

Everyone hated school right? It was poo poo, everyone I know says it was poo poo and awful. I dunno wtf is up with all these aliens claiming its great and kids love it.

Well I guess I have fond memories of primary school but secondary was just a awful cesspit. We used to bully our teachers until they cried, beat each other up in the woods and spend the rest of the time under a ton of dumb exam stress.

I loved primary school and maybe the first year of secondary and then it became a bullying-filled shithole that i hate thinking about.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/IrvineWelsh/status/1301451442599989249

Gladly.

e: GMB institutionally sexist.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 3, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Don't Green policies do far better in blind surveys than when people know whose policies they are?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jedit posted:

Did he, though?

Not at PMQs, no, it was noticeably absent in his reply.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

stev posted:

At least the replies gave my blocking finger some good exersize.

Check out the replies to the initial tweet then. Or don't as they are horrible.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Borrovan posted:

People in the comments pointing out that the place was spotless before "someone" broke a bunch of poo poo

The big puddle of paint under the window is still wet.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this a first time buy? Are you using Help to Buy or Shared Ownership? I've saved quite a big deposit but found my options are still quite limited in London (where my job and family are) because of my salary. I started toward a shared ownership place in Ilford late last year but I don't know if that's still the best option, I think I'd rather take the Help to Buy loan, but the Ilford place was ideal, if it were Help to Buy the price would be in my affordability. Feeling under pressure as I need to move out before my dad does, and hes expecting an offer on this place any day now.

Shared ownership seems like the worst of all worlds, mortgage and rent to pay, you can't do anything to it without permission but if anything important needs doing like the block of flats it's in needs a new lift or roof you're on the hook for the entire bill.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pretty sure I can redecorate etc no problem according to what I've been told, and that the estate managers that I pay service charge are responsible for lift maintenance .

Redecorating should be fine, but unlikely to be allowed to do anything structural if you wanted to. Maintenance may be covered on the lift, but what about a whole new lift? Or a new roof to the block, or new cladding if it has the bonfire-y kind? On top of that it can be harder and more expensive to sell again in the future.

e: not trying to put you or anyone else off here, just airing some of the issues that get overlooked. Have a read on moneysavingexpert for tons of examples of shared ownership gone wrong. Of course there will be just as many where it's gone right and the owner hasn't posted on a forum about it.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 4, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Nothing touches my hangovers now which generally last well over 24 hours so I'm finding I'm drinking less and less. Last beer was 6 weeks ago and last whisky a couple of weeks back.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Camrath posted:

Legally I’m told there is no ‘ownership’ of cats except as defined by a microchip- which she didn’t have until it was installed on our say-so. Any legal types think this to be accurate?

As I understand it, dogs belong to an owner whereas cats are essentially considered wild and don't belong to anyone. It's why if you hit a dog in your car there's a legal responsibility to report it to the owner, whereas with a cat there's no such requirement. I've not heard the microchip bit, but I think they'd find it hard to prove they owned the kitten as I'd bet they hadn't registered her with a vet.

Jakabite posted:

That’s the reaction I tend to get with the Mars thing but honestly I’m surprised I’ve never found anyone who made the same mistake. I guess I’ve just never had sufficient nougat in my life to realise the stuff in mars bars isn’t unique to mars bars.

Milky Ways used to have the same nougat in as Mars Bars, but no caramel, but then they changed them to that awful white fluffy crap and ruined them.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Borrovan posted:

I am 99% sure that this is definitely not true (but, as per my previous post, it doesn't make a lot of difference in practice)

e: also, wild animals generally belong to the landowner

You can now be 100% sure, I was entirely wrong. One of those urban myths I must have picked up along the way.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lady Demelza posted:

A pub that was more food than alcohol told me they couldn't do Irish coffee or boozy hot chocolate because they weren't on the menu.

They were happy to bring us mochas and shots of Bailey's on the side, and we managed the arduous task of mixing them ourselves.

The student union at Bournemouth university wouldn't serve snakebite and black, but they'd sell a half of lager, half of cider and a pint glass with a dash of black in. They reckoned it was due to having no cocktail licence but God knows if that was true.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Plymouth University used to have a snakebite night with cheap pints and multiple variants, it was weird going from having to be all nefarious about it to having it celebrated.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Julio Cruz posted:

holy poo poo I completely forgot WKD blue was a thing

one of those and an orange Reef and a double vodka in a pint glass was the poo poo when I was 18

Reef and x vodkas in a pint was named the Hifi Special in our student house after one of my housemates got drunk and smashed another housemate's hifi up. Hooch and double vodka was my usual back when lemon hooch was bitter as gently caress, before they changed the recipe and made it really sweet.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Everything you've heard about it is true.

Everything? I worked in an off licence near a half-way house and the regular Buckfast buyers had some peculiar ideas on it.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

So the news were completely accurate. I knew deep in my heart the news had to be accurate, but I just had to check. It was reported just so dryly that I just thought "that can't be right, that sounds like its a bit", but no, of course its true.

The EU said that we had until the end of October to sort a deal in time for it to be ratified and Boris has basically said "no YOU have until the 15th of October".

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 7, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1302583276629037059

Good to know we're even a laughing stock in Australia.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It makes me ill to say that I finally paid off my student loan today. Giving Erudio a penny feels absolutely wrong, but I still have 7 years to run on it and the deferment threshold drops £2k this month so when my current deferment expires I'll be over the limit, and they sent me an offer to pay 30% and write the rest off. I've been fighting these fuckers for 6 years, and it's a relief to finally have them off my back, but I can't help feeling I shouldn't have done it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

fridge corn posted:

Anyway, I have never known breath ray to be racist but he does perhaps word things strangely from time to time and I don't think we should hold that against him

Using camel jockey as a description of a person isn't "wording things strangely".

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Until the new wording is presented in the Commons on wednesday it's all guesswork and briefings.

In other news, it's Ireland but this has had me laughing all day https://twitter.com/eirebhoy/status/1302876966375305216

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Why are journalists still using terms like "massive ructions" as though Parliament is still working normally and as though the last 4 years of illegally proroguing parliament, lying to the house and all the other poo poo hasn't happened?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

vaguely posted:

drive-by meltdown skip this post

COVID is on the up again as literally everyone with a brain predicted and the messaging about it is driving me fully insane
literally in the same loving news article it will be like,
paragraph summary: "cases are rising because the public isn't careful enough. we all need to follow precautions or your grandma will die"
literally the next loving paragraph: "we really need to get back to normal. send your kids to school, get back in the office, go to the gym and spend money and if people lose their jobs it's your fault for being a coward"
just zero attempt to make this poo poo fit together, anything and everything is the public's fault for not following contradictory orders. i hate this loving country and its lazy government and arselick media i hate it i hate it so much. really nice practice run for blaming us for starving after Glourios No Deal Brexit because we didn't Pick Strawberries For Britain or some bullshit

Jenrick, this morning:

"We have to keep hammering the message home. Of course the people in those age categories are unlikely to become extremely unwell as a result of having the virus.

"But they are able to pass it on to others," he said.

"There's a responsibility on younger people to not just stay at home, obviously to go out and go to work and to enjoy pubs and restaurants, but to do so in accordance with the guidelines."

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

Seconding these guys. They are excellent. We bought like 8x Humanscale Freedom high-back chairs with headrests from them for £150 each (absolute bargain, they go for like £600+ new) and they were all in really good shape - they buy old office furniture in job lots and reupholster/refurbish it.

I think the reason we got them for that price was because we were buying 8, though.

Still, they have the ones without headrest for £159 and they are *truly excellent* chairs. I highly, highly recommend them. They are extremely adjustable and are rated as "24 hour" chairs.

https://www.2ndhnd.com/products/humanscale-freedom-med-back-chair-new-grey-fabric?_pos=3&_sid=9d233a14f&_ss=r

I tried a Zento Smart Chair at work once and it was incredible, but I can't even get my boss to sign off on a stapler, there's zero chance of £800 for a single chair.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Convex posted:

Fucks sake just realised they stopped making Ricicles back in 2017. I hate 2020 :mad:

yes I know I can just add sugar to rice Krispies but it's not the same

White chocolate Cocopops are your friend.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

thespaceinvader posted:

I... assume they have a way of stopping you getting COVID from blood donated by someone who had it right? Or is it not transmissible that way?

E:

So... none of the things that loving matter, then.

I'm so happy that Covid can distinguish between a social gathering and a business one.

In other news, https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1303450343452422151?s=19

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Lord Sugar being a complete twunt. Again.

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1303756865902456834?s=19

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

forkboy84 posted:

I like to push the button and then immediately cross at the first opportunity because drivers are selfish assholes and deserve it.

I do this but my wife always tells me off for making cars stop unnecessarily and cause more polution.

This kind of poo poo makes me so mad given how much ore you'd need to mine for 7 miles of copper wire.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

24 SWG wire is 0.56mm diameter, so 0.25mm2 * 11.27km = 2817cm3 or 25.24kg of copper, which is about 40kg of ore, which is the amount that Chile produces in 0.37 seconds.

That doesn't sound right, Sudbury is the highest grade underground copper deposit in the world at 8% copper. The highest grade open cast mine is 5%. It's still not a huge amount, but it's for a stupid coat. Multiply it up by how many stupid coats they use it in, then by how many other stupid garments or accessories they put it then, then by how many other stupid companies are making similar stupid items.

VVVV Thankfully we're going to have a 10pm curfew so they can stay safely indoors.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mega Comrade posted:

Also who is Laurence Fox? I've seen his tweets appear a few times now and I still have zero clue. Some youtuber?

Actor in such blockbusters as The Hole and Lewis. Outed himself as a bit of a racist on Question Time some time ago.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm basing it on the processed ores that are sent for smelting, rather than the deposits that are mined. Either way, as long as they're recycled there's far more wasteful uses of copper wire, such as the tons of novelty electronics like waving cats and USB bananas and the Royal Yacht Britannia that end up in landfill.

Fair point, except the world can never have enough waving cats :colbert: