Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Firos posted:

England bad.
*Checks notes* but London is absolutely fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My sister in law has given up all pretence of social distancing and in the last week has been out on a date, two meetups with her skating friends and a rounders game with her friends family, who posted a photo to facebook of the fifteen of them standing with their arms round each other.

I have asthma, and she does the shopping for her gran who has COPD.

These dickheads think it's over because they got bored of distancing, they got used to the daily death count, the press aren't really talking about it any more and the government are straight up lying, so it feels like it's not real.

I almost don't blame her. Looking at the broader media context everyone seems absolutely fine with 40,000 people dead and over 1500 new cases daily. I feel like I'm going insane.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

"The reason most service industries are organised in offices must be because that has been the most efficient way of working."

Must is doing a lot of heavy lifting for Rentoul there...
Pre home internet, maybe. The world of work is notoriously slow to adapt to new ways of working, just look at how long it took most offices to go paperless compared to how long the tech has been available. But then it probably was the most efficient way back in the 1890s when Rentoul was turned into a vampire.

Most people have had the ability to work from home since the early 2000s, Covid just gave us the kick up the arse to put things in place properly. People get into routines, societies more so, and then never question those routines at all.

Just take your average person you meet at a family get together and ask them why we all work 9-5, 5 days a week. There's a moment of almost painful neurological contortion before they give you an answer somewhere between 'because everyone else does' and 'because we always have.'

I don't think the 'genie is out of the bottle' stuff is really taking into account how servile the average Brit is though. Most people are going to begrudgingly trudge back to the office, and back to long commutes. There might be grumbling in the same way people grumble about going back on a Monday, but beyond that, everyone will just do it.

If anyone gets to work remotely more often, it'll be the management types.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm increasingly convinced that most melts don't know what the left actually is, only that the guardian says they're bad, and if the political extremes to the right are bad then the left also bad?

By extension this has been weaponised into 'well if we have to ban right wing comedies, stands to reason we should ban left comedies as well, simple as.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

He never specified exactly how the invisible hand worked, specifically it gives him an invisible handie until he writes articles supporting that position.
No you see he's such a devilish rogue, he's reached 3rd level and can subclass into Arcane Trickster, therefore gaining mage hand as a cantrip, along with the ability to make it invisible and control it as a bonus action. :eng101:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just listening to the latest podcast. I feel like I need an 8 hour ASMR video of James reading off the names of Russian Authors over NIИ b-sides.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

No joke I actually spent a little while after reading that tweet thinking about some kind of cleric that worships the free market and quotes mises articles at people.
I will happily admit my current Paladin has sworn an oath of vengeance against capitalists. His backstory is that he comes from a communal mining settlement which was bought out using legal land-fuckery.

Now he wanders the land twatting landlords with his warhammer which has a bust of Marx and Engels on either end. I'm thinking of taking 2 weapon fighting so as to have a sickle in the off-hand.

I love 5th ed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Stopped clock etc.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1300839704028475400?s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/02/uk-house-prices-hit-record-high-after-easing-of-covid-lockdown

I'd quote the article but phone posting. How the gently caress is the housing bubble expanding in a pandemic?
Stamp duty is suspended and there are a ton of available properties, so it's a really good time to buy. We're looking to buy our first place at the moment which is great, what is less great is that the sister in law can't afford a full half mortgagr which is limiting our search, what's even less good is that the wife has started looking at properties in Swindon.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ There was an article shared last thread (medium, I think) about a middle class person having to apply for welfare and repeatedly having their fears assuaged because they're 'one of the good ones.'

SpaceCommie posted:

You have my condolences on Swindon, my mum used to take me to her office there when i was sick at school so I could run messages about. The only other time I've been was to see Johnathan Pie live, so I have very negative feelings towards it.
I've never met a single person who has had anything good to say about Swindon. The crime rate's astronomical for it's size, it's featureless in a way only modern prefab cities can be, and yet the prices are higher than most of the lovely little towns to the east of it. It's like someone took a slice of outer london, stripped it of the weirdly territorial idolatry and replaced it with straight up white supremacy.

I really, really don't want to end up living in Swindon.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 2, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The follow up is also great.

https://twitter.com/gdimelow/status/1300921891432128515?s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Can confirm that the on the occasions I've been on JSA/UC their tone has completely changed when they see my education history and realise I can go through all the motions of middle class etiquette. They often then were openly rude about other claiments but implied I was somehow not like them. They barely even tried to hide their contempt for what they saw as the 'undeserving' poor.

The whole system seems designed to hurt those who earnestly try to follow the rules, while perhaps more savvy (and yes, usually more middle class!) people who know what the real point of the system is can get out of most of the real work involved with lies and bluster. For example you don't have to actually apply to x number of jobs, you just need to convincingly say you did. None of this is an accident.
The interesting thing is I've been on both sides of it. I've applied in a lovely, rich university town in the south which had less than 1% unemployment back in the early 2000s, and been told not to worry about it. I was seen as a well educated sort fallen on hard times, who just needed help getting back on my feet. I could turn down any jobs I wanted because they took me at my word about my disability. Basically turn up once a week for a chat to see if they could help find a job.

After almost bankrupting myself trying to live in said town in the mid 2000s, I had to move back to my parents house in a northern town, where I was sanctioned for forgetting my log book, told they would need to see evidence I had been searching, and was told my disability wasn't a 'real excuse' for not taking public facing jobs, even though I wasn't formally claiming any support for it.

Last time I tried to claim (different town again, complete dump in the middle of oxfordshire) I was told I can expect the grand total of £16 a month and money back on dental / eyecare I can't afford anyway, in exchange for jumping through an exhausing and punitive set of hoops every day and my disability scrutinised every few months.

Even the application process is now openly hostile. Welfare access in the UK is now the equivalent of the HHGTTG planning application which was left 'on display for everyone,' in a locked filing cabinet in the basement of the council offices, with a sign on the door reading 'beware of the leopard.'

And I still had to endure a lecture from my father in law about how easy it is for fackin immygrunts to come over here and have em handed right to em along with a free house.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 2, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ I called NHS 111 and they advised me of my nearest dentist that was taking on new NHS patients.

Retreading from the shitposting thread, but I would like to thank this thread for giving me the tools to better defend leftist viewpoints.

I just had a video call with some old uni friends, one of whom is a Lib Dem supporter, and he went a bit lib about people on welfare having big tellies and not wanting the jobs migrants and refugees are currently doing post-brexit.

Thanks to various things I have seen or read through this thread, podcast, discord and twitterverse, I was able to make some nice points and defend my opinions in a way I'm not entirely sure I would have been able to beforehand.

So thankyou.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/helloalegria/status/1301290315593191426?s=20

Genuinely reads like they set out to make the idea of returning to the office sound as awful as humanly possible
I had a visceral reaction to this, imagine looking forward to hearing buzzwords. That tells you everything you need to know about the wankers who wrote this.

E:

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/mmtowns/status/1301449590881824769

Detol are doing a better job advocating against work than 90% of this thread.
ah yes, an hour to yourself in the blissful peace and quiet of a cattle truck filled with coughing racists.

How much do these people hate their families that this kind of servile obesciance is their idea of heaven?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 3, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/SzMarsupial/status/1301445880365674497?s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh gently caress, it absolutely is, isn't it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Is what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4SzvsMFaek

The second embedded tweet was parodying this. Radiohead piece mocking vacuous self-improvement ideology that exists purely within a consumer capitalist framework.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 3, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Fudge arrived. My parents were delighted by the chocolate orange. The UKMT may judge them accordingly.

Guavanaut posted:

They're corrupt and turn everything they touch to poo poo, so there's good evidence that they occupy the same dead-alive niche as Prince Philip.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No fudge before the weekend, I blame Boris.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lady Demelza posted:

I've been meaning to get a Co-op membership for years. There's one right on the corner and if I'm going to pay more for my laziness, I should at least sign up to get points or whatever it is they offer.
Apparently there are two different schemes.

One, which the petrol station round the corner runs, seems like it gives you useless vouchers every once in a while like Tesco and doesn't really seem to bear any relation to how much you spend.

The other one, which the shop in town runs, is more like the nectar points thing where you get money back on your purchases at a really good rate.

So see which one your local co-op does.

Also co-op chicken always smells funny. The wife looked it up and apparently it's because it's treated with sulphur dioxide to stop it going off. I doubt it because it's also yellowing and rubbery and I'm pretty sure it's because the local dickheads pick it up, wander off round the shop with it, leave it on a random shelf and then when the staff find it an hour later they just chuck it back in the fridge.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Back in my local in rural Wales, we had an old lad who used to drink the drip trays at the end of the night.
Oh Jesus. Reminds me of my brother telling me about working as a glass collector in our local lovely nightclub. Someone thought they were clever by leaning over the bar and scooping a glass into the slops sink and running off, the slops sink which was currently blocked because of a poo poo someone did into a pint glass.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

This thread stands for the redistribution of the fudge from the few to the many.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lungboy posted:

The EU said that we had until the end of October to sort a deal in time for it to be ratified and Boris has basically said "no YOU have until the 15th of October".
It's designed to make him look like he's in charge to the kind of people who think all interpersonal conflict has to be solved by who can stick their chin out the furthest in a pub car park. Then when it all goes wrong he can disappear and live off brexiteer money in a tax haven where they shoot anyone poor enough to be mad at him.

Still, just think how much worse this would be under Corb oh will you gently caress OFF

Guavanaut posted:

ah-gently caress-curve dot png
Oh good, just before the schools go back. Still, it's not like Covid affects kids, right?

Post-COVID syndrome severely damages children’s hearts; ‘immense inflammation’ causing cardiac blood vessel dilation

Alright then.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like survivor bias has a lot to do with the popular opinion that it's over and we can start getting back to normal. All the people wandering round saying they've never met anyone who got really sick with it. Yes, because they're all dead or dragging oxygen bottles round their flat, of course you haven't loving heard anything from them.

E: *extremely kratos voice* boy

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 7, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Imagine if UK citizens had to submit to anything approaching this level of bullshit when applying for JSA/UC or whatever.
Ah, the lathe of heaven, friend to leftists everywhere.

E: A friend of mine went through this with their visa application many years ago. She sent her proof of student status and US birth certificate via courier to the address she was told to, and was sent proof of receipt by the courier. She was refused on the grounds that she never sent them the paperwork. She appealed on the grounds that she had proof she did send it, and their response to the appeal was basically 'it never made it to our actual office, so it's not our problem if things go missing in this building.'

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 7, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

IIRC she's mentioned that she was expected to write with a certain slant at the Guardian and they removed an article which wasn't melty enough.
I think the PC term is actually funny tinge.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That actually sounds like a really good idea. Put in the description that you should start at the front of X building, put in points every now and then where people can stop the recording or catch up if they need to.

I think there's a way to save routes on google maps and then link to them, which means you could put a clickable route in the description.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Most discussions about NI between mainlanders are basically just curated lists of phrases that would get you stabbed if you said them in front of a unionist / loyalist, doubly so if English.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lungboy posted:

"There's a responsibility on younger people to not just stay at home, obviously to go out and go to work and to enjoy pubs and restaurants, but to do so in accordance with the guidelines."
Some wonderful "we only let you exist because we feed off your consumption, so consume you loving ants" mask off work there.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Numpads are worth it if you do a lot of calculations/spreadsheet work by touch. Really it's's the arrow keys and page up/down they could scrap, it's all on the numpad.
I got a numpadless mechanical keyboard and a seperate USB numpad, which I put on the left of the keyboard in case I need it.

Which I do, because it turns out the keyboard is a reskinned US layout, so they didn't leave space for the \ key. Which is not great if you intend to learn to code, or you play older games which map functions to it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Inverness High Street is such a graveyard now

Swindon was a husk barely dragging itself along when we went there Saturday. The entire place is covered in grafitti and all the shops in the mall were closed or having a closing down sale. I know it doesn't have a great reputation but it looked like the place was on the verge of abandonment.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobstar posted:

Labour remainers may hate it, but probably not as much as CCHQ. 
It starts with a G

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Are we allowed to call the government policy on Covid control manslaughter edging yet?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Meanwhile tables of up to 6 gammons continue to gather in the homeless thundercat's temple of Moloch to cough directly into each others mouths to own the libs.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Manslaughter is unintentional.
You can have malicious neglect manslaughter though. Like say, if someone left a mains wire hanging at head height with no signage and then hosed off home. Or spilled a load of grease on a cliffside road and then didn't clean it up. Or pushed the population back to work and school to bolster the economy in the middle of a pandemic.

It's the difference between 'I want to kill someone with this' and 'I don't care that someone is probably going to die because of the thing i did.' In the latter case I'm pretty sure there's a legal argument that fulfils the criteria for manslaughter, but I don't remember it.

I also feel like calling it murder comes across as hyperbole, but people understand enough about manslaughter for it to give them pause.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So corporations can sue the government for loss of profit, but people can't sue them for loss of income or life.

Yep.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

All we need now is a government minister immediately hosting a 200 person sex party and the rules being dropped
They'll invite enough journos that it will suddenly not be in the public interest to report on it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

When asked why we were told that phones were already encrypted, and that you needed a Pin to unlock and decrypt them.

When then asked what was the point since you needed a Pin or Password to start laptops and got a shrug.
The main difference is that if someone stole your laptop or PC, they could take the hard drive out, plug it into any other computer, and access the files almost immediately. You could probably get programs that encrypt hard drives and prevent this, most of them don't encrypt the drive and just turn on extra system-wide password requests, the ones that do are fairly expensive and / or complicated, and most people probably won't bother.

An android based phone encrypts the storage using a key based on your pin / unlock pattern as standard (i think iPhone does something similar). There's no physical drive to remove, so if someone stole your phone, they'd need your pin / fingerprint in order to access any of the data on it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Take a rough guess at who is responsible:

The answer may not surprise you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/ComradeCeeCee/status/1303448681006465036?s=19