Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just seen the headline about the BBC possibly axing Left-wing comedy shows, I don't watch a lot of TV but what comedy shows are the BBC currently showing? I'm guessing HIGNFY is one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lungboy posted:

Mrs Brown's Boys, so if the Torygraph's attempt at a self-fulfilling prophecy of the BBC axing some comedy comes to pass and that awful show is removed I can live with the rest going too.

Mrs Brown's Boys is really loving awful. I got dragged to see the movie and it had a nice dash of racism in it as well.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Yes but at least they could carry 18 gallons of rubbish at a time, look at this waster carting 480 litres of rubbish, who knows what that means, it's probably nothing.

Guy in the bottom photo isn't even smoking and looks a bit foreign, this country has gone to the dogs!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rule, Britannia! Back on the Menu!

Makes you proud to be British that such a non story can get so much column inches. :britain:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

A whole society built around people who can only imagine their bins being collected, not doing the collecting.

Ah the days when we had nothing, but you know we were happy. All you needed was the Queen on TV at Christmas, the PM in a crisp suit and enough alcohol on the weekend to get us through the coming week.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

What kind of crisp?

Prawn Cocktail, no doubt.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How much notice do you think the voting public take of policies v how much notice they take of image in the press when it comes to political parties?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I did think it was a mix but wondered if the tories adopted a bunch of Corbyn policies (I think they have gone with one or two) then would I vote for them. Of course just because they adopt them it doesn't mean they'll actually go through with it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So "Left Out" is supposed to be a book about Labour when Corbyn was leader?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

People will be all over it and ignore the leaked report won't they.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There's a slogan around my work place that says "Free To Work Safe. If It's Not Safe Don't Do It" which reminded me of that Scarfolk Council (I think that's it) slogan of something like "If you're thinking about doing it. DON'T!"
Also made me laugh because when I saw it on Friday I was preparing to work inches from a rail that has 750 v DC running through it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm still amazed at the people who refuse to believe COVID is a thing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

There are people that believe that space isn't a thing.

True. But you'd think with all the evidence. Then I suppose you can't logic someone out of a position they didn't logic themselves into. See Q and all that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This man has had far too much exposure. Do you know he has a patreon? £6 a month gets you "access to progress updates about my music and my commentary on political and social events. Interact with posts and give me your comments." Three times that gets you the same thing, plus a mug. A loving mug for £24 a month! And £120 a month gets you a Q&A session, early access to gig tickets and dinner with him once a year. In a sane world this would be illegal.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 10, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

stev posted:

UKMT could definitely pool together £120 per month to send someone to that dinner.

Who does this thread hate enough to send there?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Technically that is also true of some left wing comedy i.e I do not empathise or sympathise with landlords and therefore the idea of them being guillotined is very funny to me.

But then I'm also not sure they're human. I know they identify as human but I just don't know. I don't think you can change genetics and I know that biologically they are actually those wasps that lay their eggs in other insects while they are alive.

Now that is scientific fact—there's no real evidence for it—but it is scientific fact

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

blunt posted:

Yeeeeeees.

So like 15 years ago, actual Fox News started a comedy block to try and 'provide a conservative counterpoint' to Comedy Central's The Daily Show. It went pretty much exactly how you'd imagine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXTwYBWUuZk

So bad that Fox News cancelled it after 17 weeks.

Quite impressive just how bad most of that was. Not even offensive, just bad.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was there ever an effort post in threads gone by about HS2?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

100% if I am either the "random" thread member chosen OR the mallet wielder!

You can be looking in through a window shouting "YES! YES!"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I suspect the answer is 'yes' but has anyone in this thread tried Gulab Jamuns? If so is it better to eat it cold, warm or hot?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If you hadn't specified that you intended to eat it I wouldn't have known if it was a food, service, article of clothing, person, or practice.

Ugh, uncultured swine! It's something I've seen at my local bazaar that has interested me but it's taken me 3 years to work up the courage to buy some.

CyberPingu posted:

Yes, and they are best eaten warm/hot with single cream or ice cream

Many thanks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

My local indian does them and I think the cook them in some sort of syrup. Likely golden syrup or something

I think I'm going to warm a couple up and just try them, then try some with ice cream.

kecske posted:

job and knock is the one true way

It is. I hate working for certain people who will find bullshit jobs just to keep you there for the full shift.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I have a free audible credit, is there a political/science/history audiobook that people enjoyed?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Miftan posted:

Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber. It's politics/social commentary and very good.

Bobstar posted:

On my recent list:

Natives by Akala
Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

Thank you for your recommendations, I regret that I only have 1 credit to spend.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 11, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kecske posted:

if it's the one free credit you get for signing up, iirc they'll give you a second credit if you try to cancel

also I found shock doctrine to be real heavy going as an audiobook but a lot easier in print

Well I had two but already spent one :blush:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Noxville posted:

A Lib Dem Prospective Mayoral Candidate Was Filmed Urging Voters Not To Vote For A Jewish Candidate During A Failed Election Bid

Unbelievable that Jeremy Corbyn would travel back in time an infect an otherwise reasonable person standing for non-racist parties with antisemitism.

Two things. Here is a video of said events

https://twitter.com/GnasherJew/status/1305161012547444736

and this was in the replies

https://twitter.com/local_queerenby/status/1305219702600462338

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Saw this comment on the BBC

quote:

In 1976 the UK had to go cap in hand to the IMF because of Labours mismanagement of the economy. In 1979 Thatcher came to power and faced massive demands for change from the IMF for continued support. What she did you might question, but something had to be done and quickly. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, pity it's not foresight! Thatcher dragged the UK out of the IMF's clutches.

Am I right in thinking that the loan was paid off before Thatcher got into power?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bump_fn posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1308024157611884545

if i missed discussion of this apologies but YO WHAT THE gently caress

Do they mean cameras outside toilets to see who's going in because otherwise :stonk:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently "only to see the basins and the entrance"

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/is-big-brother-watching-cctv-installed-in-school-students-toilets-9088204/

So presumably they are not literally watching you poo poo, just the outside of the cubicle you are making GBS threads in, which is of course totally normal.

Definitely no perverts here.

I enjoy the justifications such as "lots of people do it" and "we tell the students that we're doing it so it's not weird"

That is a little hosed up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good on her, not as if COVID-19 has shown to give people of any age long term health problems.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Allison Pearson appears to be impressively poo poo

quote:

Pearson was listed in Spiked in 2007[13] as one of many journalists who had been duped by the anti-MMR campaign. This anti-MMR campaign has contributed to the significant rise in measles cases and complications including death that arise from the disease[14] in the UK and elsewhere.

In May 2007, when Madeleine McCann went missing, Pearson said "This kind of thing doesn't usually happen to people like us."[15]

In May 2008, Pearson upset Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, by suggesting her daughter Princess Beatrice was overweight. On the TV programme, This Morning, the Duchess criticised the absent columnist. Pearson denied claims that she had failed to respond to multiple phone calls from the Duchess.[16]

Pearson was criticised for a tweet sent less than an hour after the first of the 22 March 2016 Belgian bombings. In the tweet, she linked the bombings with the pro-Leave side of Brexit — the side that she herself supported on the matter.[17][18][19]

Following the May 2017 Manchester Arena bombing at the end of a concert, Pearson called for the introduction of internment.[20]

In September 2019, Pearson falsely accused a man with a seriously ill child of wearing a microphone when confronting prime minister Boris Johnson, due to the man's allegiance for the Labour Party. Despite being presented with evidence that this was untrue, Pearson did not issue an apology and defended her accusation.[21]

In September 2019 Pearson suggested that Angela Rayner was unsuitable to be Shadow Education Secretary because Rayner didn't get a GCSE grade above D upon leaving school in 1996.[22]

In December 2019, Pearson falsely claimed that a photo of a child lying on the floor of a hospital was staged[23] and that she had been given “detailed explanation” that the photo was staged. She also said that the photo was “100% faked”.[24]. The trust that runs Leeds General Infirmary issued a statement which apologised to the family that only chairs were available in the treatment room the boy was in and no beds. The hospital’s chief medical officer also apologised. In the same month, after the 2019 United Kingdom general election result, Pearson wrote on Twitter in relation to antisemitism in the United Kingdom, 'So now all the Jews are staying who do we nominate to leave?'[25] In January 2020 Pearson described Labour leadership hopeful Rebecca Long-Bailey as an Alien.[26]

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lungboy posted:

First trailer for Spitting Image is out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0JTta67aUE

Have to see a full episode because the trailer is a bit meh. Good Boris impression though.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I know it's not entirely serious, but why would Wales go back to being a principality?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Continuity RCP posted:

Even in a fantasy world, Wales cannot escape Prince Charles

I think he's nicked Ynys Môn!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

I'm fairly sure it's just the map from Crusader Kings 3.

Have you played it? Is it any good. I have CK2 and have turned the UK, Ireland, France a chunk of Spain and a bit of Belgium into Wales or "Prydain", which was fun.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

justcola posted:

I was accidentally playing it til 1 in the morning last night. Me dumb dumb so bounced of CK2 a bit, but CK3 has been fun and only feel I'm scratching the surface. The world map is huge too. And it's free on xbox Game Pass for like a fiver a month.

Oh dear me posted:

It is very good. It doesn't have as much content as late CK2 had accrued, but what there is is more fun for having real faces attached, and some of the systems are greatly improved.

I'll have to take a look, thank you both.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Renfield posted:

Jokes on me, I moved to Wales to get away from the racist chuds in Medway, and Reckless is currently a member of the Welsh Assembly.

Mark Reckless

quote:

His mother emigrated to the UK when she was 17 to train as a nurse; however, Reckless has said that he doesn't see his mother as an "immigrant" and stated "I don't consider myself to have an immigrant background".[43]

Oh, that's O.K. then, guess everyone can do that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Cerv posted:

Here's What Happened When I 'Outed' Myself as Tim Martin's Son

What started as a laugh at British media nepotism quickly became a furious pile-on that revealed a predictability at the heart of social media.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/v7gwd9/heres-what-happened-when-i-outed-myself-as-tim-martins-son

anyone from the UKMT get quoted?

I know COVID is around and all that but can't he do better than proving Twitter is a bit reactionary? I mean feet-pervs proved that a pic of AOC was fake from the comfort of their laptops.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I could get behind the idea of the asylum boats if they were fully staffed and run as if they were a cruise ship with paying customers. However, they'd only be run like floating death traps wouldn't they. What passes for a supposedly civilised country is a very low bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I'd still rather they be included in and allowed to contribute to society while awaiting a decision rather than be corralled away like some sort of aberration.

I've been reading about the army camp in Penally where they've placed asylum seekers. It's crazy. Cold and they can't social distance.