Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Proving himself worthy of the title there.

In other news, the govt's latest hire has his mask on while going full mask off:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/sep/01/tony-abbott-some-elderly-covid-patients-could-be-left-to-die-naturally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

sinky posted:

Seems the galaxy brain data scientist types Cummings hires still aren't smart enough to stop tweeting
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1301173948894281730?s=20

We regret to inform you Misfit Duck is racist

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Scottish tory 6 chip twat is the 'briefcase wanker' of 2020.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Sucks to hear about Graeber.

Twitter's obscenity filter putting the work in there.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

crispix posted:

They have them on pot noodles of all things now. Under the lids

"You can make it!"

To be fair the pot noodle target demographic could do with being lifted out of a depressive spiral.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Bobstar posted:

Nonsense. It's the freshest fish, from Lutetia by ox cart.

Lutetia by ox cart? I didn't know Rees-Mogg's daughter was putting her name to her business ventures.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
At Uni the flat I lived in with 4 other blokes discovered homebrewing. As this was 5 nerds on sci/eng courses this got industrialised to the point of insanity. We were using biocide borrowed from the labs to sterilise equipment, had a fully logged and temp controlled production line in place and were cranking out 80 bottles a week like clockwork until eventually we drilled holes in an abandoned 1/2 height fridge to hold 2 cornelius kegs with taps. We'd have 2 kegs on tap while 2 were conditioning at all times.

I am still amazed we didn't poison ourselves, the beer was never amazing but was always drinkable. The cider was a step too far, topped out at 9% and we dragged a keg of it down to the meadows on the 2 days of Edinburgh summer. I woke up sunburnt to a crisp hugging the keg with my arms covered in random doodles and phone numbers. When I got back to the flat I found one of my flatmates asleep on the floor with his eyes open.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Dawn Foster is a national treasure:

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1302970358362976261

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

stev posted:

IIRC she's mentioned that she was expected to write with a certain slant at the Guardian and they removed an article which wasn't melty enough.

She went absolutely buck wild on Tom Watson being poo poo:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/09/tom-watson-weaken-labour-party-centrists-jeremy-corbyn

strangely, that was her last piece :thunk: Later she said as much that they hadn't asked her to contribute after that.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah, I signed up weeks ago, was told someone would be in touch to schedule the appointment and.... nothing. Pity, I could use the cash (vouchers) right now!

Same. I registered a month ago, haven't heard a peep from them since.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
It occurred to me after this international treaty shambles that pigfucker must be looking at all of this and some nanoscopic part of his free-market addled brain must be saying 'this is on you dave'. Looking at his twitter the silence on brexit is deafening.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Offers strong protection against criticism of tory policy

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

forkboy84 posted:

The Royal Astronomical Society say they think they've found evidence of microbes in the clouds of Venus, something to do with phosphene. Anyway, that's maybe cool

Has anyone warned them to avoid earth yet?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Communist Thoughts posted:

Now now we can vote our way out of this mess in 4 years time

Immortan Gapes will scrap voting in 2 years time.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

is this the one whose arrest was under anonymity? Or is there another? Any ideas who the secret one was if not this?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
around the last brexit crisis the polling was jusst about over threshold, can't rememeber the exact numbers but a majority were in favor of reunification for the first time ever.

I don't think sinn fein would push for it now while negotiations are ongoing, because there's still a risk that 'wait and see' would be a strong enough counter campaign for them to lose and have it kicked into the long grass. Remember, the shinners *want* a united ireland above all else, they don't want it simply because it solves some economic issues between the north and south that may be resolvable by other means.

Edit: numbers here look like it's the other way round although I don't know how reputable LucidTalk are:

https://thedetail.tv/articles/a-majority-favour-a-border-poll-on-the-island-of-ireland-in-the-next-10-years

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 15, 2020

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

aww gently caress are we already into the war christmas stretch? i bet it'll be hyper are boys patriotic this year what with having to make up for the cognitive dissonance involved in clapping for all them brown ppl in the NHS

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run for deputy leader, stab everyone in the back, and collapse into a paid lobbyist position

gently caress that's good.

Pigfucker is entirely correct that austerity prepared britain for covid if you think in terms of of a tory: austerity killed off lots of vulnerable people who would have added to the covid death stats.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1307737799043567620

Owen Jones managing to make the PLP bristle has been a small ray of light on an otherwise poo poo week

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
how about we focus our vitriol where it matters, like at this absolute catastrofuck of messaging:

https://twitter.com/leftist_agenda/status/1307760939392028673

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean that's not a covid measure, that's an ideological budget issue. So they don't have to support that.

They don't have to, no. If they didn't have a choice they'd not be able to gently caress it up.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

keep punching joe posted:

Cabinet ministers were musing over starving the Irish to get a negotiating advantage last year so probably the latter.

Speaking of starving the Irish this tweet from UKRI had me raising an eyebrow:

https://twitter.com/UKRI_News/status/1308028506908102657

'late blight' is a funny way of saying 'imperialism'

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

CGI Stardust posted:

"Tories' File Of Failure"

Someone called kier the toryphile of failure and a light bulb flashed above his head

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Kernel Monsoon posted:

Here's my gift for the thread. Should get some use out of this one.

This is doing the rounds on twitter today.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Morons like pesto see journalism as being David Attenborough. They're not here to present or comment on the detail which is hard to do in a nuanced and careful manner, they're here to lazily anthropomorphise the process and dress it up as some grand spectacle.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I completely forgot tweetman was in CUK, and not only in it, utterly hosed the LD candidate.

https://twitter.com/coso9001/status/1308739832483639296

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

josh04 posted:

It was a fight between a Change UK candidate and a Lib Dem, it's a wonder anyone with ears heard about it.

It was a fight between a lab candidate and a libdem, tweetman split the ld vote lol

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

josh04 posted:

kpop fans are playing noughts and crosses on stephen pollard's forehead

https://twitter.com/faeriejim/status/1309134781679046657

This is just an incredible sentence

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I called to register after getting one of those letters 6 weeks ago and haven't heard back since. I want my vouchers damnit :(

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The 'poo poo in an appliance' story is a very old one. The version in my halls was that at a party someone took a dump in the kettle, left the lid off and turned it on.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1311248523355140097

It's just such a perfect snapshot of what centrist pundits want to believe 'our system has protected and nurtured me well so far, it cannot possibly be the case that democracy has failed me by electing someone not smart and capable, therefore this must be an act of pure political genius rather than an idiot tripping over their dick'

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Fumble posted:

I would take 10 Dan Hodges tweets over a tp wheetman special.

Same. Sorry for hodgesposting, I agree he's poo poo, but I will never post a wetbrain tweet

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/867#noes

I'm surprised RLB isn't on that list. Anyone know why she might have followed the whip here?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

OwlFancier posted:

Was she in the building at the time? They don't discriminate as to why they don't vote.

I agree that could be a reason not to, but it's not a very strong one given the rest of the labour left made an effort to show up for it.. I'm not throwing her under a bus or anything based on one abstention it just struck me as odd that she wasn't among the familiar faces on the right side of history there.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

thespaceinvader posted:

If Labour's loss is due to the left not voting, why are the left not voting for Labour?

There's a deeper question here about our electoral system and Labour's current place in it, and 'the left aren't voting' is only the surface level view.

(It's also largely not true. Voting is generally broken down along age lines, more than party/political spectrum lines, and the last couple of elections have been no exception AFAIR. Don't accept the premise of the question when the premise is flawed)

(Labour's losses at the last two elections largely weren't to due to the left not voting, especially 2017)

There was an interesting breakdown of population migration in the 'red wall' constituencies that emphasize this fact, I think I saw it linked in here... it turns out specifically in those regions there was a huge net outflow of young voters which of course leaves you with an older, more rightwing voting base.

Edit: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/12/how-demographics-explains-why-northern-seats-are-turning-tory

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 7, 2020

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

Ash Sarkar and the 17th Edition BS7671 Wiring Regulations, united in killing gammons by being brown.

:pusheen:

I don't even care this is a pagesnipe. That is how good this was.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

Random question because I'm sure someone will know.

For bathroom extractor fans where the noisy bit is in the roof rather than the vent (or any HVAC really) you can get axial fans like

where air goes in, air comes out, easy enough, and you can get inline centrifugal fans like

where the air is flung out at right angles, and then marshaled around so that the duct can be inline, which seems inefficient to me, but I'm looking for a centrifugal fan like every other centrifugal blower type, like

although that's obviously complete overkill for a bathroom (make your own poo poo poo poo jokes), because I need to turn 90 degrees in very limited space and it seems like having a fan that normally does that anyway would be ideal.

Why are all the centrifugal bathroom fans inline when that seems far worse? Why can I not get an ordinary 150mm ducted blower that isn't 415V 1.5kW and designed for an oil rig?
You can get external units that do exactly that

but they're about 300 quid and not what I actually need.

Not sure I can answer your question satisfactorily, but I just went through this and had similar issues finding what I needed until I eventually bought a unity cv2 dmev from greenwood.

You may not need a huge blower in your bathroom, I got that one as it continuously silently extracts and automatically increases to slightly noisier but temporary boosted operation when either the bathroom gets humid (it has a sensor built in) or you can boost it via an additional connection to the lightswitch. This one is really neat because you can tune it to different continuous and boost levels depending on your needs, and it's suuper quiet. standard ducting and it's very unobtrusive. Because it runs continuously it doesn't use much power to achieve a drier room as well.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

That looks cool, thank you. I was expecting silly prices and features when I saw SMART in the first sentence but they seem quite reasonable.

That's might be a good solution for me too. Basically my bathroom window is stuck, because the brain genius original designers put the shower right near it, so that needs replacing, and I was going to go for one that doesn't open at all, a solid pane one with a little vent, so would need a fan anyway.

We're currently using a dehumidifier on a RCCD safety extension lead to stop the whole thing becoming a black mold farm, and we're probably going to hard wire one into the bathroom while doing the other stuff, so the humidity load shouldn't be too great, so that might work.

fwiw I did find a proper non-ridiculous blower like what I was thinking, but it's in China and you have to contact for a price. But they do exist and have a frame that could be secured to joists if I went that route.

No idea why they seem to not exist in the UK.

This is basically the exact same problem I had- painted shut window, and even if it was openable i'd need some way of ensuring a positive air pressure which seemed like a faff. The chinese fans I looked into all had poo poo reviews, and the UK ducted blower ones seemed noisy/anaemic for the price. That dmev isn't 'smart' as in smartphone. The CV3 version is but tbh I don't see the point of wiring my shitter into the cloud.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jose posted:

gonna be honest and say between boris' laziness and desire to be loved i thought he'd sabre rattle and sign whatever deal the EU gave in the end because of how bad things are going to be but the madman appears to be going through with it

Given his known behaviour I reckon the brexit diehards in the party have some primo poo poo on him and its them and their rich mates he wants to love him anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

WhatEvil posted:

When boomers started signing up for Facebook.

This. FB is now just the boomer panopticon and it's incredibly grim.