Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah, the voting is becoming more normie not less so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Who is Guilia?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Firstly I want to point I was exaggerating my reaction to the WON awards. I'm neither on the verge of my head exploding nor even surprised on the most part. The part I am a bit surprised by is the WWE doing relatively well. Yes, they are by far the largest company in the world but I kind of struggle to understand why someone who is mostly into WWE would pay for a Newsletter & podcast network which mostly shits on what they do (& rightly so, the show is bad). Especially when there are so many places where you can go to get what Dave writes or says regurgitated without having to pay for the privilege. It'd be like me subscribing to a Ryan Satin newsletter, why would I do that to myself?

Secondly, "Glorious Nippon", away and shite with that nonsense, it's not about the inherent superiority of Japanese wrestling. It's just that historically the Observer readership are...well, lets be blunt, they are wrestling nerds. It's a drat sight easier to follow obscure Joshi groups or lucha indies today than it was to get All Japan tapes in the '90s & yet in the '90s Japanese companies won Match of the Year in '90, '91, '92, '93, '95, '96, '98 & '99 & dominated the '90s. There was a year an ROH show that could only be seen if you bought the DVD which didn't come out for 2 months won Show of the Year. Someone who subs to WON/F4W knows how to watch a streaming service, there's no need to pretend they are idiots or casual fans. But it's notable that in a year where WWE was largely panned, & got 10 times the votes in Worst Company to their nearest rival, them coming 3rd in Best Promotion is worth noting relative to the history of the awards.

Lid posted:

Who is Guilia?

Stardom wrestler, she was on the Stardom WK darkmatch last year. She's the head of the Donna Del Mondo stable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Ali made this point very well.

I don't even know who the guy in front is

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Firstly I want to point I was exaggerating my reaction to the WON awards. I'm neither on the verge of my head exploding nor even surprised on the most part. The part I am a bit surprised by is the WWE doing relatively well. Yes, they are by far the largest company in the world but I kind of struggle to understand why someone who is mostly into WWE would pay for a Newsletter & podcast network which mostly shits on what they do (& rightly so, the show is bad). Especially when there are so many places where you can go to get what Dave writes or says regurgitated without having to pay for the privilege. It'd be like me subscribing to a Ryan Satin newsletter, why would I do that to myself?

Secondly, "Glorious Nippon", away and shite with that nonsense, it's not about the inherent superiority of Japanese wrestling. It's just that historically the Observer readership are...well, lets be blunt, they are wrestling nerds. It's a drat sight easier to follow obscure Joshi groups or lucha indies today than it was to get All Japan tapes in the '90s & yet in the '90s Japanese companies won Match of the Year in '90, '91, '92, '93, '95, '96, '98 & '99 & dominated the '90s. There was a year an ROH show that could only be seen if you bought the DVD which didn't come out for 2 months won Show of the Year. Someone who subs to WON/F4W knows how to watch a streaming service, there's no need to pretend they are idiots or casual fans. But it's notable that in a year where WWE was largely panned, & got 10 times the votes in Worst Company to their nearest rival, them coming 3rd in Best Promotion is worth noting relative to the history of the awards.

Stardom wrestler, she was on the Stardom WK darkmatch last year. She's the head of the Donna Del Mondo stable.

It's probably less to do with the traditional userbase liking WWE and more to do with the WWE fandom becoming more online while the popularity of promotions outside the AEW/NJPW sphere is super fragmented making it easier for the WWE voting bloc to come through in the results

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Endless Mike posted:

Blake and/or Murphy

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I think observer readers being hyper nerds has been less true the last ten years. Mailing Dave a check and receiving a fan zine was very advanced but now its the Wrestling Observer a major news site. I would also say most people subbing sub for the podcasts that poo poo on the wwe. This is all my imos I do agree with you largely that wwe getting third is lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even if we assume that the subscriber base is close to the same as it was ten or twenty years ago, simple inertia seems like a sufficient explanation for why WWE got as high a place as it did. People generally are reluctant to admit that the thing they've followed since forever is, in fact, bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The only promotion that was screwed was Dragon Gate.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Endless Mike posted:

It's obviously Drew Gulak

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Randy Orton vs The Fiend got screwed too because if that won Worst Feud of the Year it had a chance to win two years in a row. But maybe Braun will feud with the Fiend again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I just want to say that starting to listen to the WOR with Khan, pretty funny that he says he's honoured to be on the Best Booker list with almost all of the top 10. And he said it wasn't someone you'd expect it to be so...

I'm guessing that it's Rossy or Delirious

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Shingo coming 3rd in Most Outstanding but 5th in Best Brawler is just confusing.

Also gently caress this

quote:

BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER

1. KENNY OMEGA ONE WINGED ANGEL 373

2. Adam Page buckshot lariat 114

3. Omega & Page buckshot V trigger 60

4. Kota Ibushi Kamagoye 59

5. Jon Moxley paradigm shift 54

5. Will Ospreay hidden blade 39

6. Will Ospreay stormbreaker 37

7. Darby Allin coffin drop 31

8. Shingo Takagi pumping bomber 25

9. Mizuki whirling candy 24

10. Pac black arrow 20

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

wrestling fans bad.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
They had to make sure to give all the poo poo to Kenny so he can include it all in his overly long intro.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ItohRespectArmy posted:

wrestling fans bad.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

Shingo coming 3rd in Most Outstanding but 5th in Best Brawler is just confusing.

Also gently caress this

I changed my vote to Mizuki because of this forum!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lid posted:

Also gently caress this

Listen, the Magical Girl Chicken Dude didn't place AT ALL.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

next year we need to do entryism into the wrestling observer awards.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

I think observer readers being hyper nerds has been less true the last ten years. Mailing Dave a check and receiving a fan zine was very advanced but now its the Wrestling Observer a major news site. I would also say most people subbing sub for the podcasts that poo poo on the wwe. This is all my imos I do agree with you largely that wwe getting third is lol

I agree. I don't think you'll get something like Mistico winning in 2006 again now. It's always gonna be somewhat mainstream American audience choices.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lamuella posted:

Listen, the Magical Girl Chicken Dude didn't place AT ALL.

neither did Literally Anything Rey Fenix does despite him being the out of a gun frontrunner for Most Oustanding 2021 and won Best Flying in a landslide. This flew under the radar but Rey Fenix is the first man not named Kota Ibushi, Ricochet or Will Ospreay to win Best Flying Wrestler since 2008.

Also Meltzer can't help but still hold out hope that Edge and/or Orton will get into his Hall, this is udner feud of the year

quote:

I do believe WWE should have fared better here. In particular, Edge vs. Randy Orton had some of the best promos and angles of the year. They wove a storyline that was believable and real-life with two incredible talkers. Yes, the WrestleMania match was one of the worst matches of the year, and Edge’s trying to deny that and blame the fans was sad. But they came back with one of the best matches of the year, which granted, had a lot of bells and whistles between retapes and more careful adding of crowd noise (the bottom line is most of the second half of 2020 was built around adding crowd noise in WWE and AEW). Unfortunately, Edge was injured in filming the second match, and the billing of it ahead of time as the greatest match of all-time, even though it was one hell of a match, did them no favors.

And upsetting for this forum Taz didn't even get any votes for Best Commentator. Not even an honourable mention.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Shiozaki getting the third most first place votes seems really good to me, I dunno.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I want to know who the 6 people were that voted for NXT UK as the worst weekly show and the other 6 people who said no its 205 Live that is the worst weekly show. Isn't that their entire viewership?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

I want to know who the 6 people were that voted for NXT UK as the worst weekly show and the other 6 people who said no its 205 Live that is the worst weekly show. Isn't that their entire viewership?

I can't believe 12 people trolled Dave Meltzer by sending in votes for fake TV shows

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Eddie Kingston talked his way into a full-time job and two Observer awards. At least one good thing came out of 2020. :unsmith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ItohRespectArmy posted:

wrestling fans bad.

:hmmyes:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

neither did Literally Anything Rey Fenix does despite him being the out of a gun frontrunner for Most Oustanding 2021 and won Best Flying in a landslide. This flew under the radar but Rey Fenix is the first man not named Kota Ibushi, Ricochet or Will Ospreay to win Best Flying Wrestler since 2008.

Also Meltzer can't help but still hold out hope that Edge and/or Orton will get into his Hall, this is udner feud of the year

And upsetting for this forum Taz didn't even get any votes for Best Commentator. Not even an honourable mention.

Taz told people not to vote for him he hates awards. The people who voted for him are traitors to the For The Win lifestyle.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I can't believe 12 people trolled Dave Meltzer by sending in votes for fake TV shows

Those same 6 people voted RoH for best promotion of 2020.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anyway, I'll offer overall thoughts later but for now I just have this to say.

MOX MOX MOX MOX MOX MOX MOX MOX MOX MOX MOX MOX MOX MOX

:woop:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Another amazing year for Bray Wyatt. I can't wait to see what 2021 has in store

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tato posted:

Another amazing year for Bray Wyatt. I can't wait to see what 2021 has in store

maybe he can get all ten worst matches of the year

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
He can't because Firnd Alexa exists but I guess you could argue that's his fault too.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
People thought Bray Wyatt would be the new Undertaker but he's really the new Kane. Gonna eclipse all of Kane's WO award records for worst angles and matches soon if he hasn't already.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

jake hager didn't even get an honorable mention for most overrated so when tony puts the belt on him i hope you all know i tried to stop it

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Fenix winning the Mexico MVP award and the lack of Penta on it caught me as odd. then i saw luchablog tweet this

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1365292567915618305

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

John Dudebro posted:

jake hager didn't even get an honorable mention for most overrated so when tony puts the belt on him i hope you all know i tried to stop it

can't win overrated when no one rates you high

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've only watched one NOAH show so far but it's pretty cool to see Mark Pickering get a shoutout on the awards because I thought he was great on the Budokan show.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I agree. I don't think you'll get something like Mistico winning in 2006 again now. It's always gonna be somewhat mainstream American audience choices.

and I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing - its a good indication of what hardcore American wrestling fans are into. New Japan did well in previous years because it was relatively accessible, it was good and American wrestling wasn't so its hardly surprising that when there's a better mainstream American company that it suddenly does well especially with New Japan doing things that their US fans aren't big fans of.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/JamieOD/status/1365371452548079630

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People keep getting hung up on the "lol WWE finished 3rd place" thing when the numbers paint a different story.

1) Like someone else mentioned, it was an extremely distant third, nearly 3,000 points behind NJPW, in a year where a lot of Westerners were very down on NJPW. It was close to falling even further behind in the standings -- Stardom, UFC, and NOAH got more first-place votes.

2) Promotion of the Year is about business as much as it is about creative. Like it or not, the promotion that turned literally the biggest profit in wrestling history was always going to get some votes for that.

3) Given the lack of first-place votes, I'm guessing a lot of it was pity votes from people who still like NXT.

Other than that, WWE swept the Worst and Most Overrated categories, with many of them by huge landslides, and didn't place a single wrestler in the Most Outstanding category, which I believe is the first time that's ever happened. These are embarrassing results for a promotion with their talent and resources, so I don't know how people came away with that thinking "lol WON readers are dumb fed stans."