Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Benne posted:

Dave really needs to change the name because we keep having this same argument every year

It creeps into other wrestling discussions as well. I constantly see Ishii referred to as underrated when the general consensus is that he's great. (I think he's not underused either tbh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Category "A" Awards: You vote three times for these.
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: Moxley, Omega, Jericho
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Omega, Fenix, Takagi
Tag Team of the Year: Young Bucks, Lucha Bros, FTR
Best on Interviews: Jericho, Brodie, Mox
Promotion of the Year: AEW, GCW, NJPW
Best Weekly TV Show: Dynamite
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: Mox/Brodie, Hangman and Omega/Young Bucks, Omega/PAC

Category "B" Awards: You vote once for these.
US/Canada MVP: Omega
Japan MVP: Takagi
Mexico MVP: Caristico
Europe MVP: PAC
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Ospreay
Women's Wrestling MVP: Shida
Best Box Office Draw: Mox
Feud of the Year: Elite vs Hangman
Most Improved: Nyla Rose
Most Charismatic: Mox
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: ZSJ
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Brodie
Best Flying Wrestler: Fenix
Most Overrated: Naito
Most Underrated: Thatcher
Rookie of the Year: Nyla
Best Non-Wrestler: Taz
Best Television Announcer: Excalibur
Worst Television Announcer: Mauro
Best Major Wrestling Show: Revolution
Worst Major Wrestling Show: Wrestlemania
Best Wrestling Maneuver: One Winged Angel
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE Covid
Worst Television Show: Raw
Worst Match of the Year: Braun Strowman vs Clown Wyatt
Worst Feud of the Year: Antifa vs WWE
Worst Promotion of the Year: WWE
Best Booker: Tony Khan
Promoter of the Year: AEW
Best Gimmick: Mr Brodie Lee
Worst Gimmick: Clown Wyatt

Ok boomer

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey, you can't just put "WWE Covid" as Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic, you have to pick which disgusting thing WWE did in relation to Covid. :v:

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It creeps into other wrestling discussions as well. I constantly see Ishii referred to as underrated when the general consensus is that he's great. (I think he's not underused either tbh)

Eh, I think he's underused in that you could slap the IC Title on him and main event shows at like, Edion level and they'd probably sell out but they don't seem to see him at that level.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi, Go Shiozaki
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Shingo Takagi, Minoru Suzuki, Kenoh
Tag Team of the Year: Golden☆Aces, Dangerous Tekkers, SHO & YOH
Promotion of the Year: NJPW, NOAH, DDT
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: Kazuchika Okada(c) vs Kota Ibushi, Wrestle Kingdom 14 Day 1

Japan MVP: Tetsuya Naito
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Hiromu Takahashi
Best Box Office Draw: Tetsuya Naito
Feud of the Year: Minoru Suzuki/Yuji Nagata
Most Improved: EVIL
Most Charismatic: Shingo Takagi
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Yoshinari Ogawa
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Jon Moxley
Most Underrated: YOSHI-HASHI
Rookie of the Year: Master Wato
Best Non-Wrestler: Miho Abe
Best Television Announcer: Milano Collection A.T.
Best Major Wrestling Show: Wrestle Kingdom 14
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Gotch-style Piledriver
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: Matt Riddle and Velveteen Dream still working in WWE
Worst Feud of the Year: Kazuchika Okada/Yujiro Takahashi
Best Booker: Gedo
Best Gimmick: Master Wato
Worst Gimmick: Master Wato

still branching out from NJPW!

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Does "promotional tactic" refer to:

1. An action specifically taken by a wrestling company to promote a show/draw money/increase ratings

or

2. Any action taken by a wrestling company, whether or not it's specifically done to do one or more of the above

?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Best Wrestling Maneuver: various- Deleting Your Twitter

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Alright enough teasing, here's my full list so far

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award:
1. Jon Moxley
2. Kenny Omega
3. Tetsuya Naito

Kenny has a very strong case as MRT laid out, but I think Mox has edged him out lately as his title reign gained steam -- he's had a consistent streak of excellent matches with compelling stories and absolutely brilliant finishes. And let's not forget his NJPW work, where he had some gloriously violent bouts with Archer and Suzuki.

Most Outstanding Wrestler:

1. Kenny Omega
2. Shingo Takagi
3. Hiromu Takahashi

That said, Kenny is still my pick for MOW. Phenomenal matches in both tags and singles, with his tag against the Bucks and the PAC Iron Man match being standouts. Shingo isn't far behind with a great NEVER run and still has the G1 to bolster his resume. Hiromu has standout matches with Ospreay, Ryu Lee, and easily the best match of EVIL's reign, plus he gets bonus points for dragging broken-rear end Honma to his best match in years.

Tag Team of the Year:

1. Kenny Omega and Hangman Page
2. Dangerous Tekkers
3. Bayley and Sasha Banks

The Bayley/Sasha act has been one of the few unironically great things on the main roster this year.

Best on Interviews:

1. Eddie Kingston
2. Tazz
3. MJF

AEW is so stuffed with amazing promos that I could stretch this out to a top 10 and still leave out deserving candidates. Giving the nod to King for finally getting his shot at the major leagues and loving knocking it out of the park. Tazz reminded us why he used to be one of the scariest men in wrestling (and one of the most witty -- "sloppy shop" is the mic drop of the year), and MJF has a Jericho-esque ability to just turn anything into gold.

Promotion of the Year:

1. AEW
2. NJPW
3. NOAH

Best Weekly TV Show:

1. AEW Dynamite
2. NJPW Strong
AEW Dark

Pro Wrestling Match of the Year:

1. Kenny Omega & Hangman Page vs. Young Bucks, AEW Revolution
2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom Night 2
3. Jon Moxley vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW New Beginning in Osaka

People are kinda sleeping on that Mox/Suzuki match, but if you know anything about Moxley's style, which he famously and openly copied from Suzuki, then definitely go back and watch it. It's an absolute blast.

US/Canada MVP: Jon Moxley
Mexico MVP: Rey Fenix
Europe MVP: PAC
Women's Wrestling MVP: Hikaru Shida
Feud of the Year: Hangman Page vs. The Elite
Most Improved: Britt Baker
Most Charismatic: Jon Moxley
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Jon Moxley (SWERVE! People look at "technical wrestling" and automatically think of mat grapplefuckers like ZSJ, who will probably win for the 38th straight year. But there's way more to good technical wrestling than that specific style, and I think we need to expand our horizons a bit. Since leaving WWE, Mox has developed into a very sound all-around wrestler, incorporating some MMA stuff to go with his usual violent brawling. He's approached every match differently depending on the opponent, can adapt on the fly like few others, and knows exactly what to do in every spot. That's a loving great technical wrestler in my book
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Jon Moxley (with all that said, he's still the best brawler on the planet, now merging his chaotic CZW background with a decade of major TV experience to get the most out of everything)
Best Flying Wrestler: Sammy Guevara
Most Overrated: The Fiend (I made the case for EVIL earlier, but his title reign was only 2 months and I doubt he'll hold it again any time soon. Meanwhile, Bray Wyatt's cringey film-student bullshit is a turd that just refuses to flush)
Most Underrated: Lance Archer (his AEW run is one of the company's few legitimate missteps. Archer came in red-hot following a career resurgence in NJPW the year before, and they handled him perfectly on his initial push. But he hasn't really had any direction since losing to Cody, and while it's still fun to watch him murder jobbers, you can't help but think that his momentum has cooled off)
Rookie of the Year: Abstain (I don't even know who's eligible this year. People have voted Ricky Starks who's been wrestling for like 7 years :shrug:)
Best Non-Wrestler: Tazz
Best Television Announcer: Tony Schiavone
Worst Television Announcer: Michael Cole
Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW Revolution
Worst Major Wrestling Show: WWE Extreme Rules
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Jon Moxley's Paradigm Shift
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: Bushiroad stonewalling Kyoko Kimura in her investigation of Hama's death (I was gonna go with one of the million WWE things, but since this got brought up, it stands out as particularly cruel and heartless, especially when they told her to just make merch and sell it. Hana's death was preventable for many reasons, so the media company and TV studio that employed her essentially blowing it off is pretty heinous).
Worst Television Show: WWE NXT (gonna avoid the obvious Raw/Smackdown answers and go after the show that used to be above it all, and is now just another main roster brand. Complete waste of time)
Worst Match of the Year: Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa, One Final Beat (a complete mockery of what used to be the best feud in the company, and both wrestlers indulging their worst masturbatory habits to self-parody levels)
Worst Feud of the Year: The Fiend vs. Braun Strowman
Best Booker: Tonh Khan
Promoter of the Year: Tony Khan
Best Gimmick: MJF
Best Pro Wrestling Book: (space reserved for when the Voices of Wrestling NJPW review comes out later this year)
Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary: Dark Side of the Ring: Owen Hart

Benne fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 2, 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
rookie of the year
Abadon

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: Kenny Omega, Jon Moxley, Cody
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Kenny Omega, Minoru Suzuki, Rey Fenix
Tag Team of the Year: Kenny Omega & Adam Page, Best Friends, The Young Bucks
Best on Interviews: Ricky Starks, MJF, Eddie Kingston
Promotion of the Year: AEW, GCW, NJPW
Best Weekly TV Show: Dynamite, BTE, Impact
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: Kenny Omega & Adam Page @ Revolution vs The Young Bucks, Joey Janela vs Jimmy Lloyd @ Acid Cup 2, PAC vs Kenny Omega Ironman Match

US/Canada MVP: Kenny Omega
Japan MVP: Minoru Suzuki
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Sammy Guevara
Women's Wrestling MVP: Nyla Rose
Best Box Office Draw: Chris Jericho
Feud of the Year: Adam Page vs The Elite
Most Improved: Sonny Kiss
Most Charismatic: Ricky Starks
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Angelico
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Lance Archer
Best Flying Wrestler: Rey Fenix
Most Overrated: FTR
Most Underrated: Peter Avalon
Rookie of the Year: Anna Jay
Best Non-Wrestler: Aubrey Edwards
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Black Arrow
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE not testing for Covid
Worst Match of the Year: Jimmy Havoc vs Japanese Deathmatch Legend Dr. Luther @ AEW Dark
Worst Feud of the Year: Shawn Spears vs Credibility
Best Gimmick: The Beaver Boys
Worst Gimmick: Rache Chanel
Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary: Dark Side of the Ring: New Jack

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My favourite thing about both the Bebop/Bucks and Omega/PAC making people's best of lists is that those matches happened on the Wednesday and Saturday of the same week. Three days apart. That's how purely astounding Omega can be.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Ok boomer

i understand fooling around like this but if people make fun of others' selections it might inhibit some of the more socially anxious posters from sharing their opinions.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Aubrey does deserve Best Non-Wrestler over Miho tbf

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I couldn't resist rambling on about a bunch of these, so it took a few days. :v:

Category "A" Awards:
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award:
1. Jon Moxley, All Elite Wrestling and New Japan Pro Wrestling
2. Tetsuya Naito, New Japan Pro Wrestling
3. Kenny Omega, All Elite Wrestling

This has been a weird year. With the pandemic shutting down travel, crowds and shutting down some companies outright, it's been so hard to gauge things. Crowd reactions are pretty much gone, live gates are gone or severely reduced. We just gotta look at what we've got and figure out who's done the best with what's available and I believe more than anybody, that's been Jon Moxley. Starting off the year with a pair of wins at Wrestle Kingdom, he moved into awesome feuds against Chris Jericho and Minoru Suzuki, which he came out of as a double champion - holding the AEW World Championship and the IWGP US Championship. He hit a roadblock with his first feud as AEW champion against noted shitbag Jake Hager in a feud that was apparently entirely filmed in two hours - and it showed! That feud sucked. But he's been doing great since then, having awesome feuds against huge motherfuckers Brodie Lee and Brian Cage, cutting great promos and keeping AEW's business steady throughout the pandemic all the while. He's been proving all of his fans who begged WWE to push him right and finally showing he can be the standard bearer for a major company. That's been pretty awesome.

And if you wanna talk about years of frustration leading to finally reaching the top of the mountain...Tetsuya Naito! Tetsuya Naito finally got his white whale, winning in the main event of the Tokyo Dome, at Wrestle Kingdom 14. From there, he's pretty much spent the whole year being plagued by Bullet Club and while we can argue about the quality of his matches against KENTA and EVIL, one thing you can't argue - he's done business the entire goddamn year. 70,000 tickets across two nights at Wrestle Kingdom (these were stacked cards and Liger The Final probably had something to do with it two, but the premiere matches were the Double Gold Dash and Naito was the central figure in that), 11,000 at Osaka-Jo Hall for New Beginning, then managing to bring in as many fans as possible in reduced capacity shows for Dominion in Osaka-Jo Hall and Summer Struggle in Jingu. After two absolutely incredible matches with Jay White and Kazuchika Okada to become the double champion at Wrestle Kingdo, Naito's match quality hasn't been there as much as previous years, but he's still been the face of New Japan Pro Wrestling in a very tumultuous time for the company (and, y'know, a tumltuous time for all of us). People are coming out to see him. There was something pretty powerful to me about Naito giving his promo to Jingu Stadium, followed by the fireworks going off, him promising us that the darkness we're in right now would eventually lead into light. Something about all of that really resonated with me. This hasn't been the way I wanted Naito's run as the shuyaku to go at all, but in a way, maybe he's the perfect guy for it.

Kenny Omega hasn't been the star of All Elite Wrestling in the way a lot of people expected him to, but he's been filling an equally important role, Kenny has been the anchor of AEW in its second year. While guys like Jericho, Moxley, Orange Cassidy, Cody, etc. are the ones grabbing the championships, headlines and big singles matches, Kenny's best work (with one exception) has been in the tag division, but holy hell, has he been doing some incredible work there. The great tag team matches, the Iron Man match against PAC, consistently strong ratings and buyrates (the STADIUM STAMPEDE is a draw, brother), among all of it, perhaps the most important thing Kenny's done this year is his part in turning Hangman Page into a bonafide main eventer. Page has done most of the work himself, but it's hard to deny - before teaming up with Kenny, Page was drifting in AEW's midcard after his initial push landed with a thud. Since teaming with Kenny, he's become one of the hottest babyfaces in wrestling. And together, the two of them have made great strides in making good on AEW's promise that tag team wrestling can be the main event. It's starting to seem like "Cowboy Bebop" might not be long for this world, but it's been one hell of a great run and Omega has once again proven that singles or tag team, there's no challenge in wrestling he can't meet.

Couple honorable mentions, Chris Jericho has done a great job this year, building interest for his feud with Tanahashi, making the AEW World Championship feel important, putting over Jon Moxley and elevating Orange Cassidy. He's a loving tool of a person but a great pro wrestler. Hiromu Takahashi has been the best thing about New Japan since they came back from their hiatus and one of their best things all year and he's the guy I have my eye on the rest of the year. I think he might blow the doors off everybody if he's in the G1. Hangman Page, as the other half of the AEW tag team champions, has had a great resurgence after a rocky start in AEW and looks primed to be a star in that company for the next 10 years. Drew McIntyre has made the most of his opportunity at the worst possible time and has honestly been the best thing about WWE this year. I wish he worked for a company I like more!

Most Outstanding Wrestler:
1. Hiromu Takahashi, New Japan Pro Wrestling
2. Kenny Omega, All Elite Wrestling
3. Shingo Takagi, New Japan Pro Wrestling

Tag Team of the Year:
1. Kenny Omega and Hangman Page, All Elite Wrestling
2. The Young Bucks, All Elite Wrestling
3. Dangerous Tekkers, New Japan Pro Wrestling

Best on Interviews:
1. Jon Moxley, All Elite Wrestling and New Japan Pro Wrestling
2. Tetsuya Naito, New Japan Pro Wrestling
3. Taz, All Elite Wrestling

Promotion of the Year:
1. All Elite Wrestling
2. New Japan Pro Wrestling
3. Uh, I hear Impact's been good?

Best Weekly TV Show:
1. AEW Dynamite
2. NJPW Strong
3. Being The Elite

Pro Wrestling Match of the Year:
1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito, Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2, New Japan Pro Wrestling
2. Kenny Omega and Hangman Page vs. The Young Bucks, Revolution, All Elite Wrestling
3. Jon Moxley vs. Brian Cage, Fight for the Fallen, All Elite Wrestling

I had a hard time ranking 1 and 2, I eventually went with Okada vs. Naito because I felt it was the perfect end to that story. Ask me again in a week and I might change my mind and prefer Omega/Page vs. The Young Bucks. I just absolutely love both matches from top to bottom but because Naito's story had gone on for so long and finally hit its climax, I give the nod to that. Still hate the angle that happened afterwards, though! You'll never, ever, ever convince me that they couldn't just wait 24 hours.

I had a hard time deciding number 3 and you could essentially put a number of matches in that space and you can consider these my honorable mentions! Moxley vs. Brodie Lee at Double or Nothing, Shingo vs. SHO in the New Japan Cup, Kenny Omega and Hangman Page vs. The Lucha Bros on Dynamite, Kenny Omega vs. PAC on Dynamite, Moxley vs. Suzuki at New Beginning, Hiromu vs. Ospreay at Wrestle Kingdom, Hiromu vs. Ryu Lee at New Beginning, Hiromu vs. Ishimori at Jingu. I went with Moxley vs. Cage because I felt it was a definitive match for Moxley's reign. Moxley's entire run in AEW has been defined by people underestimating him. Kenny Omega thought he could walk into Moxley's world and all it got him was a face full of wood. Jericho thought he could sweettalk Moxley and if that wouldn't work, he'd cripple him and Moxley used that presumed injury against him. And Taz thought Brian Cage was simply too much loving BEEF for Moxley to take him down. So Moxley said he was gonna rip Brian Cage's arm off and goddamn, was he ready to do it. That shot of him holding an armbar on Cage and giving Taz the finger is incredible. It's Moxley's entire post-WWE run in a nutshell. Underestimate this guy and he will gently caress you up. Brilliant stuff.

A side-note, I quite liked the Stadium Stampede Match and the Firefly Funhouse Match, but I don't consider them professional wrestling matches. For the Stadium Stampede, I guess you could technically make the case that it's a 10-Man Tornado Tag Falls Count Anywhere Match, but from what I understand, they spent a pretty long time filming it and there was retakes and editing involved and at that point, it ceases to be a pro wrestling match, to me. Otherwise, Stadium Stampede could very easily be my number 3.

Category "B" Awards:
US/Canada MVP: Jon Moxley, All Elite Wrestling
Japan MVP: Tetsuya Naito, New Japan Pro Wrestling
Mexico MVP: Absolutely no idea.
Europe MVP: Has Europe even had any wrestling since the pandemic started?
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Hiromu Takahashi, New Japan Pro Wrestling
Women's Wrestling MVP: Bayley, WWE

This one was tough and essentially a coin flip, I could've gone with Asuka too. Bayley, Sasha Banks and Asuka have easily been the best thing in WWE's main roster this year. I give the nod to Bayley because she's been pulling double and sometimes triple duty. After watching WWE botch her for like four years, it's been pretty awesome watching Bayley be a legit star this year, even if she had to turn heel to do it.

Best Box Office Draw: Tetsuya Naito, New Japan Pro Wrestling
Feud of the Year: Orange Cassidy vs. Chris Jericho, All Elite Wrestling
Most Improved: Hangman Page
Page was always a great wrestler, just go watch his G1 if you need convincing of that, so while I think his in-ring work in 2020 has been better than his work in 2018 and 2019, that wasn't where he improved the most - he came into himself as a character in such a meaningful way this year. His promos in his feuds with Jericho and PAC last year...man, he was tryin', but it was clear he was forcing it. That's just not there anymore. He's natural, he's speaking from the heart, he's real. And it's been awesome to see. Big Yeehaw!

Most Charismatic: Tetsuya Naito
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Jon Moxley
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Minoru Suzuki

The fun thing is, I think I could put either guy for both of these. Benne really sold me on Moxley for Best Technical Wrestler. :v:

Best Flying Wrestler: Hiromu Takahashi, New Japan Pro Wrestling
Most Overrated: Randy Orton, WWE
Note, I actually like some of Randy's work this year, some of it quite a bit, I thought his match against Drew at SummerSlam was pretty badass, actually, but if I have to hear one more person say he's doing the "BEST WORK OF HIS LIFE" or say he's the best thing in wrestling this year, I'll lose my mind. He's good but he ain't that good. If you wanna take the "Most Overpushed" definition for this one, sub in Braun Strowman, he has legitimately sucked rear end this year.

Most Underrated: Taiji Ishimori
Rookie of the Year: I don't know what qualifies as a rookie!
Best Television Announcer: Excalibur, All Elite Wrestling
Worst Television Announcer: Corey Graves, WWE
Best Major Wrestling Show: Revolution, All Elite Wrestling
Note, as separate nights, I think Revolution narrowly edges out either night of Wrestle Kingdom 14. Collectively, I'd say Wrestle Kingdom 14 is better, but I don't think it's fair to do that.

Worst Major Wrestling Show: The Horror Show at Extreme Rules, WWE
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Jon Moxley - DEATH RIDER
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE's negligence leading to a COVID outbreak at the PC.

This one, I had to think about, because people have made very good points about Bushiroad's conduct in relation to Hana Kimura and frankly, the way they've acted isn't just ghoulish, it's insanely suspect, to me. It makes me wonder what Bushiroad knew and when they knew it and what they didn't do that they could've done to help Hana when there was still a chance to do it. One way or the other, it's disgusting and unconscionable. I'm still going with WWE and the COVID outbreak at the PC because WWE's negligence endangered the public health. Renee Young got sick, pretty severely from the sound of it - she could've infected her husband, who could've infected the AEW locker room, who could've infected their friends and family and so on, and there was like 30 positive cases that all could've gone like this - and they very well could have and we just don't know it! WWE's negligence could've killed people and there was absolutely no reason for it. They could've afforded the tests, they just chose not to because they were pissy that they had to move WrestleMania and they didn't want to sell for the virus anymore than they already had. I honestly thought they would never do something worse than the Saudi Arabia deal, leave it to Vince to always top himself.

Dishonorable mentions to WWE cutting people during the pandemic (reason that one didn't make it was because I get the feeling a number of those people wanted out anyway? It's still disgusting), the continuing Saudi deal and continuing to push Riddle and Velveteen Dream. Any promotion who has protected people credibly named in #SpeakingOut should be ashamed of themselves and sadly my two favorite promotions, AEW and NJPW, aren't totally innocent on that one. HHH in particular is a cowardly piece of poo poo and I apologize for in my more naive years thinking he was an improvement on Vince in any way, shape or form.

Worst Television Show: Raw, WWE
Worst Match of the Year: Braun Strowman vs. Bray Wyatt, Money in the Bank
I didn't watch the Swamp Fight, I didn't watch the Okada handicap match and I cannot remember a single solitary spot from Yano vs. Jado, so I went with this piece of poo poo. GUYS, REMEMBER WHEN BRAUN WORE A BLACK MASK AND DID A lovely TRIANGLE CHOKE? LONG-TERM STORYTELLING!

Worst Feud of the Year: Braun Strowman vs. Bray Wyatt, WWE
Best Booker: Tony Khan, All Elite Wrestling
Note, based on this year, I think HHH should have to give back his Best Booker award from a few years ago, thank you.

Promoter of the Year: Tony Khan, All Elite Wrestling
Best Gimmick: Orange Cassidy
Worst Gimmick: Braun Strowman
Look, I know you guys hate the Fiend, but bald Braun is so loving bad. Remember when we all wanted this guy to win the belt a couple years ago?

Best Pro Wrestling Book: Reading is for nerds.
Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary: Dark Side of the Ring - Owen Hart

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think a rookie is supposed to have debuted in the last two years but people who don't meet that criteria have won in the past.

On that note, you should all keep an ear out for the guy I voted for, Hayato Tamura. He's TAKA's protege and ZERO1 have given him their top belt with fewer than twenty matches under his belt in his career. Daisuke Sekimoto gave him a lot of offence in their tag match and TAKA (obviously biased) said he's the guy to surpass Kazuchika Okada. I think he's gonna follow Maika (probably my second choice for this award) in leaving JTO ASAP.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 3, 2020

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Category "A" Awards:
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: Tetsuya Naito, Jon Moxley, Chris Jericho
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Hiromu Takahashi, Kota Ibushi, Kenny Omega (from time to time I forget how good Ibushi is, and then I watch him)
Most Outstanding Fighter of the Year: Shingo Takagi, Minoru Suzuki, Dustin Rhodes
Tag Team of the Year: Dangerous Tekkers, FTR, Lucha Bros.
Best on Interviews: Jon Moxley, MJF, Taichi
Promotion of the Year: AEW, NJPW, NOAH
Best Weekly TV Show: AEW Dynamite, ChocoPro, NJPW Strong
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: ZSJ vs. Ospreay, RevPro; Go Shiozaki vs. Kenou double title match; Hiromu Takahashi vs. Dragon Lee, NJPW

Category "B" Awards:
Feud of the Year: Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy
Most Improved: Taichi You know what, Yoshi-Hashi
Most Charismatic: Tetsuya Naito
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Jon Moxley (I don’t think of Suzuki as a brawler, I think of him as an MMA stylist)
Best Flying Wrestler: Dragon Lee (despite relative inactivity, he earned this)
Most Overrated: Cody Rhodes
Best Non-Wrestler: Britt Baker
Best Television Announcer: Chris Charlton
Worst Television Announcer: Cory Graves
Best Major Wrestling Show: Wrestle Kingdom 14
Worst Major Wrestling Show: meh, I didn’t watch any WWE PPVs
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Zack Driver (for decades, no matter who’s using it)
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE running shows amid COVID “for the fans”
Worst Television Show: WWE Smackdown (I watched it once)
Worst Match of the Year: Yano vs. Jado, NJC
Worst Feud of the Year: Kazuchika Okada/Yujiro Takahashi
Best Booker: Tony Khan (hard one but he started from zero, Gedo has a huge advantage in history)
Best Gimmick: Taichi’s tummy

Thanlis fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 4, 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Most underrated Taiji Ishimori

Hes one of the top five best juniors in the world and hes stuck in a go nowhere stable as an afterthought in a company that should know better which puts him ahead of my yearly reminder Gran Metalik exists

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lid posted:

Most underrated Taiji Ishimori

Hes one of the top five best juniors in the world and hes stuck in a go nowhere stable as an afterthought in a company that should know better which puts him ahead of my yearly reminder Gran Metalik exists

This is why I wasn't big on the ELP/Ishimori tag team and I in general am just so past Ishimori in Bullet Club. Bullet Club's heel shenanigans dilutes Ishimori so badly. Jingu was a little breath of fresh air and reminded of that guy that had arguably the MotY in 2018.

Which was.

Y'know.

loving 2018.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'd agree for 2019 when he was playing second fiddle to Phantasmo but in 2020, he's doing fine. He had a great NJ Cup run only ending with him losing to Okada and he did just beat one of the most popular wrestlers in the company clean by tap out to win the highest accolade he's ever realistically going to be eligible for.

Obviously that might be very different if it weren't for covid19 but he's the one BC member who doesn't get Jado nonsense.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Jingu match was awesome and my favorite thing about it (besides the fact that he loving tapped Hiromu out, clean) is that it felt really different from his and Hiromu's last match. Me picking him for Most Underrated is almost definitely based on his 2019 more than his 2020 and if he has a good run with the Jr. HW Championship, I'll probably pick someone else.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah, I think it was clear match of the night for me. I don't think it was quite as good as their 2018 match which was a genuine match of the year contender, but it really shows their range that they could do big matches of that level in a small intimate venue like Korakuen and a huge arena like Jingu.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: Jon Moxley, Kenny Omega, Tetsuya Naito
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Jon Moxley, Hangman Adam Page, Kenny Omega
Tag Team of the Year: Kenny Omega & Hangman Adam Page, Dangerous Tekkers, Stu Grayson and Evil Uno
Best on Interviews: MJF, Jon Moxley, Hangman Adam Page
Promotion of the Year: AEW, NJPW, Gatoh Move/Chocopro
Best Weekly TV Show: Dynamite, Dark, uh.. IMPACT is good I guess?
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: Hangman Adam Page & Kenny Omega vs. Young Bucks at Revolution, Ibushi vs. Okada WK14, Minoru Suzuki vs. Moxley at New Beginning

Women's Wrestling MVP: Asuka
Feud of the Year: Jon Moxley vs. The Inner Circle/Chris Jericho
Most Improved: Hangman Adam Page
Most Charismatic: Ricky Starks
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Jon Moxley
Best Flying Wrestler: Dragon Lee
Most Overrated: The Fiend
Most Underrated: Stu Grayson
Rookie of the Year: ABADON
Best Non-Wrestler: Aubrey Edwards
Worst Television Announcer: Josh Matthews
Best Major Wrestling Show: WK14
Worst Major Wrestling Show: Horror Show at Extreme Rules
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Marq Quen's tornado DDT on Cody if that counts, Ricky Starks Rochambeau if it doesn't
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE's negligence in handling the COVID pandemic leading to an outbreak at the PC
Worst Television Show: Raw
Worst Feud of the Year: Braun Strowman vs. Bray Wyatt
Best Gimmick: Hangman Adam Page
Worst Gimmick: The Fiend

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Grayson's a good pick for Most Underrated, he and Uno have had some really drat good tag team matches this year.

Also they did that GET OVER HERE spot. That was fun.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: 1. Jon Moxley 2. Kenny Omega 3. Cody
Most Outstanding Wrestler: 1. Kenny Omega 2. Shingo Takagi 3. Hiromu Takahashi
Tag Team of the Year: 1. Kenny Omega & Hangman Page 2. The Young Bucks 3. Best Friends
Best on Interviews: 1. Taz 2. Chris Jericho 3. Zack Sabre Jr.
Promotion of the Year: 1. AEW 2. NJPW 3. GCW
Best Weekly TV Show: 1. AEW Dynamite 2. AEW Dark 3. UpUpDownDown Uno
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: 1. Omega & Page vs. Young Bucks - Revolution 2. Kota Ibushi vs. Kazuchika Okada - Wrestle Kingdom 3. Jon Moxley vs Minoru Suzuki - New Beginning

Japan MVP: Shingo Takagi
Women's Wrestling MVP: Hikaru Shida
Best Box Office Draw: Chris Jericho
Feud of the Year: Kenny Omega & Hangman Page vs. The Young Bucks (feat. FTR)
Most Improved: Britt Baker
Most Charismatic: Maki Itoh
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Zack Sabre Jr.
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Nick Gage
Best Flying Wrestler: Rey Fenix
Most Overrated: Jake Hager
Most Underrated: KUSHIDA
Rookie of the Year: Anna Jay
Worst Television Announcer: Michael Cole
Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW Revolution
Worst Major Wrestling Show: WWE Super Showdown
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Buckshot Lariat
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE continuing to employ and push wrestlers with credible sexual assault allegations
Worst Television Show: WWE Smackdown
Worst Feud of the Year: Street Profits vs. Viking Raiders
Best Gimmick: The Dark Order
Worst Gimmick: Shorty G

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
oh right KUSHIDA also exists

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

oh right KUSHIDA also exists

Yes but he retired 18 months ago when he realised he'd achieved everything in New Japan and had one final match with Hiroshi Tanahashi before hanging up his boots for good and never returning to the ring

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
KUSHIDA is so underrated people forgot to vote him Most Underrated

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Please don’t lie and say KUSHIDA exists.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

At this point I forget he is still an active wrestler sadly

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

kushida has been in nxt for a year and a half and hasn't even been on a takeover

he is ABSOLUTELY the most underrated

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I dunno, I guess for my definition of underrated it feels like they need to be good, decently pushed, and make you go "oh yeah, this person is really loving good" every time you see them and for me, that's Stu. KUSHIDA isn't underrated, they're just not doing anything with him at all, which is a different kind of issue.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I wonder if KUSHIDA is happy with his decision? I've only really seen his WK13 match with Ishimori and he had a funny entrance. Has anyone from Japan ever been happy in the fed?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nakamura seems happy but that's more cause he's getting paid to coast on Charisma and gets to surf too

KUSHIDA 100% is most underrated as he's stuck in NXT catering

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Pylons posted:

I dunno, I guess for my definition of underrated it feels like they need to be good, decently pushed, and make you go "oh yeah, this person is really loving good" every time you see them and for me, that's Stu. KUSHIDA isn't underrated, they're just not doing anything with him at all, which is a different kind of issue.

Stu isn't underrated at all? Everyone who sees him is like "that guys supremely talented" and he is in exactly the right position and role he should be at this point in time. Like your definition of underrated makes no sense. as its "a list of things of a person who is being good treated well"

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lid posted:

Stu isn't underrated at all? Everyone who sees him is like "that guys supremely talented" and he is in exactly the right position and role he should be at this point in time. Like your definition of underrated makes no sense. as its "a list of things of a person who is being good treated well"

It's more about, for me, being surprised at how good he is. Like I'm constantly forgetting. I don't need to be reminded how good KUSHIDA is, I already know, they're just not doing anything with him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

I completely loving forgot he exists!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

I completely loving forgot he exists!

Are you booking NXT now?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Are you booking NXT now?

:drat:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Schneider Heim posted:

I wonder if KUSHIDA is happy with his decision? I've only really seen his WK13 match with Ishimori and he had a funny entrance. Has anyone from Japan ever been happy in the fed?

Sho Funaki seemed happy for years. And Asuka seems content at least? Though I suppose it's hard to know

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Are you booking NXT now?

Ha ha of course no -- *looks at wall, it's covered in skulls and iron crosses* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Timmy Thatcher is the most underrated because he should be a major company's forever champion instead of slumming it on the yellow minor league show.