Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll post my full list when I get home from work, but for all the bitching about EVIL'S title reign its surprising he doesn't have any Most Overrated votes yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, overrated and underrated long ago became 'over/underpushed'.

Dave really needs to change the name because we keep having this same argument every year

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Alright enough teasing, here's my full list so far

Category "A" Awards: You vote three times for these.

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award:
1. Jon Moxley
2. Kenny Omega
3. Tetsuya Naito

Kenny has a very strong case as MRT laid out, but I think Mox has edged him out lately as his title reign gained steam -- he's had a consistent streak of excellent matches with compelling stories and absolutely brilliant finishes. And let's not forget his NJPW work, where he had some gloriously violent bouts with Archer and Suzuki.

Most Outstanding Wrestler:

1. Kenny Omega
2. Shingo Takagi
3. Hiromu Takahashi

That said, Kenny is still my pick for MOW. Phenomenal matches in both tags and singles, with his tag against the Bucks and the PAC Iron Man match being standouts. Shingo isn't far behind with a great NEVER run and still has the G1 to bolster his resume. Hiromu has standout matches with Ospreay, Ryu Lee, and easily the best match of EVIL's reign, plus he gets bonus points for dragging broken-rear end Honma to his best match in years.

Tag Team of the Year:

1. Kenny Omega and Hangman Page
2. Dangerous Tekkers
3. Bayley and Sasha Banks

The Bayley/Sasha act has been one of the few unironically great things on the main roster this year.

Best on Interviews:

1. Eddie Kingston
2. Tazz
3. MJF

AEW is so stuffed with amazing promos that I could stretch this out to a top 10 and still leave out deserving candidates. Giving the nod to King for finally getting his shot at the major leagues and loving knocking it out of the park. Tazz reminded us why he used to be one of the scariest men in wrestling (and one of the most witty -- "sloppy shop" is the mic drop of the year), and MJF has a Jericho-esque ability to just turn anything into gold.

Promotion of the Year:

1. AEW
2. NJPW
3. NOAH

Best Weekly TV Show:

1. AEW Dynamite
2. NJPW Strong
AEW Dark

Pro Wrestling Match of the Year:

1. Kenny Omega & Hangman Page vs. Young Bucks, AEW Revolution
2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom Night 2
3. Jon Moxley vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW New Beginning in Osaka

People are kinda sleeping on that Mox/Suzuki match, but if you know anything about Moxley's style, which he famously and openly copied from Suzuki, then definitely go back and watch it. It's an absolute blast.

Category "B" Awards: You vote once for these.
US/Canada MVP: Jon Moxley
Japan MVP: Tetsuya Naito
Mexico MVP: Rey Fenix
Europe MVP: PAC
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Hiromu Takahashi
Women's Wrestling MVP: Hikaru Shida
Best Box Office Draw: Tetsuya Naito
Feud of the Year: Hangman Page vs. The Elite
Most Improved: Britt Baker
Most Charismatic: Jon Moxley
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Jon Moxley (SWERVE! People look at "technical wrestling" and automatically think of mat grapplefuckers like ZSJ, who will probably win for the 38th straight year. But there's way more to good technical wrestling than that specific style, and I think we need to expand our horizons a bit. Since leaving WWE, Mox has developed into a very sound all-around wrestler, incorporating some MMA stuff to go with his usual violent brawling. He's approached every match differently depending on the opponent, can adapt on the fly like few others, and knows exactly what to do in every spot. That's a loving great technical wrestler in my book
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Jon Moxley (with all that said, he's still the best brawler on the planet, now merging his chaotic CZW background with a decade of major TV experience to get the most out of everything)
Best Flying Wrestler: Sammy Guevara
Most Overrated: The Fiend (I made the case for EVIL earlier, but his title reign was only 2 months and I doubt he'll hold it again any time soon. Meanwhile, Bray Wyatt's cringey film-student bullshit is a turd that just refuses to flush)
Most Underrated: Lance Archer (his AEW run is one of the company's few legitimate missteps. Archer came in red-hot following a career resurgence in NJPW the year before, and they handled him perfectly on his initial push. But he hasn't really had any direction since losing to Cody, and while it's still fun to watch him murder jobbers, you can't help but think that his momentum has cooled off)
Rookie of the Year: Abstain (I don't even know who's eligible this year. People have voted Ricky Starks who's been wrestling for like 7 years :shrug:)
Best Non-Wrestler: Tazz
Best Television Announcer: Tony Schiavone
Worst Television Announcer: Michael Cole
Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW Revolution
Worst Major Wrestling Show: WWE Extreme Rules
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Jon Moxley's Paradigm Shift
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: Bushiroad stonewalling Kyoko Kimura in her investigation of Hama's death (I was gonna go with one of the million WWE things, but since this got brought up, it stands out as particularly cruel and heartless, especially when they told her to just make merch and sell it. Hana's death was preventable for many reasons, so the media company and TV studio that employed her essentially blowing it off is pretty heinous).
Worst Television Show: WWE NXT (gonna avoid the obvious Raw/Smackdown answers and go after the show that used to be above it all, and is now just another main roster brand. Complete waste of time)
Worst Match of the Year: Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa, One Final Beat (a complete mockery of what used to be the best feud in the company, and both wrestlers indulging their worst masturbatory habits to self-parody levels)
Worst Feud of the Year: The Fiend vs. Braun Strowman
Worst Promotion of the Year: WWE
Best Booker: Tonh Khan
Promoter of the Year: Tony Khan
Best Gimmick: MJF
Worst Gimmick: Master Wato
Best Pro Wrestling Book: (space reserved for when the Voices of Wrestling NJPW review comes out later this year)
Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary: Dark Side of the Ring: Owen Hart

Benne fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 2, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
KUSHIDA is so underrated people forgot to vote him Most Underrated

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Looks like Retribution has a lock on Worst Gimmick

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

Yeah i had Naito on my shortlist for most overrated but what im hearing is all really good. Has Yujiro done anything to get him out of my Most Overrated spot? His feud with Okada was soul destroting to the degree that im not watching the G1 (alongside the reign of EVIL as 2020 Diesel).

Yujiro has 0 wins in the G1 so far, he's nowhere close to "most overrated" or "most overpushed" or however you want to define that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bray definitely deserves Most Overrated after dragging Alexa into his vortex of suck

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's really incredible how WWE has so many Most Disgusting candidates that "Alexa Bliss gets assaulted by The Fiend and then falls in love with him" is barely even on the radar

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jungle Boy won it last year when he clearly wasn't a rookie so who the gently caress even knows anymore

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think GEORGE W BUSHI and Joe Lanza are the only people on planet Earth who watch Zero1

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm still leaning towards Revolution which has a big emotional connection to me, but that G1 show is a strong contender

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm gonna throw in with Rollins/Mysterio for Worst Feud

Not only did it have the laughable Eye For An Eye match with the cartoon eyeball poking out, it didn't even end the feud -- they're still going like 5 months later and got into all kinds of stupid horseshit with Rey's dumbass son wrestling and Buddy Murphy hooking up with his barely-legal daughter.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This is a really cool thing

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1330797146497544192

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Well we're heading into the home stretch, with Omega/Moxley coming up that could decide the WOTY race*.

I'm still voting for Mox win or lose, but if that match lives up to expectations then he also needs some Most Outstanding love. His title reign has been defined by consistently great matches, all worked in a completely different way depending on his opponent and the story. This versatility is something I never expected out of him, even back when I was one of the hardest Dean Ambrose defenders.

*(with apologies to NOAH stans, Go Shiozaki ain't winning WOTY -- realistically, it's been a two-man race since the summer. But a top 5 finish is very possible with the buzz his title matches have gotten)

Benne fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 28, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's gonna go to Roman and we should probably stop pretending otherwise at this point. People are really into that Tribal Chief thing for whatever reason.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We really need more love for Taz and his gang of Big Beefy Bois Team Taz as Best Gimmick

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Alright, I finally caught up with Go's title matches and they pretty much all lived up to the hype, so I feel confident enough to make final rankings and also decide that Naito can hit the fuckin bricks :colbert:

Category "A" Awards: You vote three times for these.
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award:

1. Jon Moxley
2. Kenny Omega
3. Go Shiozaki

Sticking with my top two from earlier in the year, as much as I liked Go's reign it didn't quite hit the emotional highs I felt with Mox, though that's obviously up for personal preference. And Omega was extremely consistent in both singles and tags, and ended the year with a fascinating inter-promotional angle where he's now popping ratings in two companies at the same time. Go has my respect, but not quite my love, if that makes sense.

Most Outstanding Wrestler:

1. Kenny Omega
2. Go Shiozaki
3. Hiromu Takahashi

Once again, Kenny barely takes this by a hair, as I prefer his more well-rounded resume. Shouts to Hiromu for dragging broken-rear end Honma to his best match in years, having easily the best match of EVIL's title reign, and a typically excellent BOSJ, capped off by the instant classic against Despy.

Tag Team of the Year:

1. The Young Bucks
2. Kenny Omega & Hangman Page
3. Dangerous Tekkers

After thinking on it I decided to flip to the Bucks, and not just because Cowboy Bebop broke up halfway through the year. They kept having quietly great matches throughout, and once it was time for their big title push they reminded us how incredible they truly are. These guys just have the best matches of everybody's career, and that was never more obvious than the FTR match -- FTR have kinda stunk in their AEW run, but their match with the Bucks was so great it made us forget about the crummy build and paid off years of anticipation, an absolute love letter to tag team wrestling. Love or hate them, Matt and Nick always deliver in the biggest spotlight.

Best on Interviews:

1. Eddie Kingston
2. Jon Moxley
3. Taz

Do I really have to list just three? It's been an awesome year of promos and I'm leaving off plenty of deserving candidates like Cody, MJF, Ricky Starks, Lance Archer, Britt Baker, Hiromu, and Naito (who I'm clowning on but dude had to work overtime to get over EVIL's reign and the dumb WK build).

Promotion of the Year:

1. AEW
2. NOAH
3. NJPW

Best Weekly TV Show:

1. AEW Dynamite
2. NJPW Strong
3. AEW Dark

Pro Wrestling Match of the Year:

1. Young Bucks vs. Kenny Omega & Hangman Page, AEW Revolution
2. WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov, NXT UK 10/29
3. Go Shiozaki vs. Takashi Suguira, NOAH The Best: Final Chronicle

I'm as surprised as anyone that Okada/Naito got bumped from my top 3, but WALTER/Ilja was too loving amazing to leave off. I've never seen a match like that happen in a WWE ring, and we probably won't see that happen again. Just a special match. Meanwhile, I had to have a Go match on here, so I went with his most recent one which felt more like 15 minutes than 50, just insane pacing. Go really is something special, and Suguira is still a scary motherfucker in his 50s. And of course, I needed to keep the tag match No. 1, which has some added poignancy as one of the last wrestling shows with full crowds. Watching it again and seeing the reactions gives me new chills I didn't even have the first time I saw it.

Category "B" Awards: You vote once for these.

US/Canada MVP: Jon Moxley
Japan MVP: Go Shiozaki
Mexico MVP: Rey Fenix
Europe MVP: WALTER
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Hiromu Takahashi
Women's Wrestling MVP: Yuka Sakazaki
Best Box Office Draw: Tetsuya Naito
Feud of the Year: Jon Moxley vs. Eddie Kingston
Most Improved: Britt Baker
Most Charismatic: Eddie Kingston

My God, what a force of personality Eddie is. His 2020 trajectory is insane when you look at the bigger picture -- here's this guy, a longtime indy favorite but mostly unproven at the major-league level, considered on the downswing of his career at age 39, booked for what was supposed to be a one-off match against Cody. He had nothing to lose but the microphone in his hand, which Best Booker Tony Khan boldly handed him at the start of a seemingly random Dynamite. And this bad motherfucker strutted onto TNT like he owned the joint, got signed on the spot, and main-evented a PPV four months later. That is charisma right there.

Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Jon Moxley

I'm sick of voting for ZSJ so sticking with my galaxy-brain pick from earlier.

Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Jon Moxley
Best Flying Wrestler: Rey Fenix
Most Overrated: Bray Wyatt
Most Underrated: Gran Metalik
Rookie of the Year: Uh, Anna Jay I guess? Rey Mysterio's failson will probably win this by default.
Best Non-Wrestler: Taz

How many people saw this coming? Taz spent the better part of 20 years as an announcer, sometimes good, sometimes bad, never taken seriously. When AEW brought him in the general opinion was "oh, cool I guess," and he was mostly well-liked in that role. But when Taz became a regular on-screen character, a switch was flipped and he suddenly reminded everyone that he used to be the baddest man in wrestling -- spitting fire on the mic every week, recruiting a team of Big Beefy Bois in his image (more on that), and even hitting a Tazmission on Cody for good measure. Taz loving rules, and it hurts that we never got this version of him while he could still wrestle.

Best Television Announcer: Tony Schiovane
Worst Television Announcer: Michael Cole
Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW Full Gear
Worst Major Wrestling Show: WWE THE HORROR SHOW at Extreme Rules
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Paradigm Shift/Death Rider
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE continuing to promote and feature people named in #SpeakingOut

In my last list I cited Bushiroad's treatment of Kyoko Kimura, and while that's still appalling and scummy, it's not really a "promotional tactic," so going with this instead.

Worst Television Show: WWE Raw
Worst Match of the Year: Randy Orton vs. Edge, WrestleMania 36

I've gone back and forth on this a lot, but in the end, I'm settling for the complete wet fart of Edge's return. This match never loving ended, was boring as hell, had the very uncomfortable spot of Orton hanging Edge on gym equipment just a week after the Vice Benoit doc aired, and was so poorly received they had to brand the rematch THE GREATEST WRESTLING MATCH OF ALL TIME in an attempt to make up for it (spoiler: they didn't, that match also stunk). Utter disaster.

Worst Feud of the Year: Seth Rollins vs. Rey Mysterio

Just gonna quote myself here:

Benne posted:

I'm gonna throw in with Rollins/Mysterio for Worst Feud

Not only did it have the laughable Eye For An Eye match with the cartoon eyeball poking out, it didn't even end the feud -- they're still going like 5 months later and got into all kinds of stupid horseshit with Rey's dumbass son wrestling and Buddy Murphy hooking up with his barely-legal daughter.

This feud only ended when Seth went on paternity leave, they never had an actual blowoff.

Worst Promotion of the Year: WWE
Best Booker: Tony Khan
Promoter of the Year: Tony Khan
Best Gimmick: Team Taz

*slams fist on table* BIG BEEFY BOIS, BIG BEEFY BOIS, VOTE THIS AS BEST GIMMICK UNLESS YOU HATE BIG BEEFY BOIS

Worst Gimmick: The Fiend
Best Pro Wrestling Book: Voices of Wrestling NJPW Year in Review 2019

This is the best wrestling ebook every year that nobody votes for because it comes out in the first week of January. It's time we change that.

Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary: Dark Side of the Ring: The Final Days of Owen Hart

This will compete for first place with the Benoit two-parter, and while those are still great, it treads a lot of ground we already knew. The Owen episode really hammered home how badly WWE hosed it up, and how easily it could've been avoided, and it makes you so much more enraged. It's also a much-deserved rehabilitation for Martha, who got demonized by WWE and its cultish fans for decades and hopefully is finally seen in the right light. Anyone who cares about Owen and his legacy should never want to see him in the WWE HOF and at the whims of Vince's gross rewriting of history, because Martha is already doing a much better job respecting him. This doc is a heartbreaking but important watch.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 22, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The newest WOR immediately spoils the Wrestler of the Year winner, which you might guess based on who's on it

It's Moxley

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm more interested to see where Go finishes, because there is a precedent for non-NJPW puro guys placing high based on a hugely hyped year even if the promotion isn't hot, and NOAH felt the hottest it's been in almost a decade.

-- Sugiura finished 2nd for his now-legendary 2010 run, and Yoshino was 3rd that year
-- Mochizuki finished 4th in 2011, only behind Tana/Cena/Punk who stole the headlines that year
-- Miyahara finished 6th in 2016, his big elevation to AJPW's ace
-- Miyahara finished 5th in 2017
-- Not puro, but LA Park finished 4th in 2018 based on his feud with Rush, showing that lucha guys can still get votes if they have the buzz
-- Miyahara finished 6th in 2019

I'm very confident that Go will finish Top 3 this year, his run was just too good to deny and he got the Dave bump with the Sugiura match getting 5 stars.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1363588620796395520

Get your final predictions in

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD

(WRESTLER OF THE YEAR)

1. JON MOXLEY (883) 4,873

2. Kenny Omega (110) 1,375

3. Tetsuya Naito (38) 957

4. Kota Ibushi (31) 890

5. Drew McIntyre (51) 869

6. Bayley (13) 634

7. Go Shiozaki (39) 510

8. Roman Reigns (13) 507

9. Mayu Iwatani (25) 287

10. Chris Jericho (24) 276

Welp I'm taking the L on Go, but seeing Aunt Pam here was a pleasant surprise

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER

1. KENNY OMEGA (276) 2,196

2. Kota Ibushi (273) 2,140

3. Shingo Takagi (126) 1,475

4. Tomohiro Ishii (128) 1,208

5. Will Ospreay (113) 938

6. Minoru Suzuki (73) 656

7. Kazuchika Okada (38) 549

8. Hiromu Takahashi (57) 526

9. Go Shiozaki (62) 508

10. Rey Fenix (32) 385

Is this the first time in history that not a single WWE wrestler finished top 10 in Most Outstanding? I'll have to look that up when I get time, that's astounding.

quote:

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR

1. YOUNG BUCKS (653) 4,283

2. Kenny Omega & Adam Page (409) 3,554

3. FTR (97) 2,106

4. Zack Sabre Jr. & Taichi (68) 740

5. Bayley & Sasha Banks (19) 368

6. Josh Alexander & Ethan Page (22) 214

7. Chuck Taylor & Trent (4) 168

8. Pentagon Jr. & Rey Fenix (7) 163

9. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kota Ibushi (8) 116

10. Santana & Ortiz (5) 72

Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly (2) 72

quote:

BEST ON INTERVIEWS

1. EDDIE KINGSTON (474) 3,478

2. Jon Moxley (373) 3,132

3. MJF (222) 2,095

4. Cody Rhodes (59) 768

5. Chris Jericho (56) 729

6. Taz (11) 336

7. Roman Reigns (14) 275

8. Jay White (16) 244

9. Pat McAfee (19) 188

10. Randy Orton (13) 139

quote:

PROMOTION OF THE YEAR

1. ALL ELITE WRESTLING (1,097) 5,717

2. New Japan Pro Wrestling (140) 3,157

3. World Wrestling Entertainment (12) 776

4. Stardom (33) 507

5. UFC (32) 380

6. Pro Wrestling NOAH (13) 376

7. Impact Wrestling (1) 264

8. Dragon Gate (7) 214

9. Ring of Honor (6) 205

10. DDT (13) 136

You TJPW marks need to try harder, unless Dave counted it as part of DDT it didn't even finish HM

quote:

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW

1. AEW DYNAMITE (1,151) 5,994

2. WWE NXT (20) 1,655

3. Being the Elite (24) 1,265

4. AEW Dark (19) 743

5. WWE Smackdown (20) 611

6. NJPW Strong (21) 538

7. Ring of Honor (7) 417

8. Impact Wrestling (5) 229

9. MLW Fusion (2) 213

10. WWE NXT U.K. (5) 115

quote:

PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR

1. YOUNG BUCKS VS. KENNY OMEGA & ADAM PAGE 2/29 CHICAGO

(733) 4,285

2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi 1/4 Tokyo (176) 1,929

3. Young Bucks vs. FTR 11/7 Jacksonville (66) 809

4. Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito 1/5 Tokyo (98) 761

5. Walter vs. Ilja Dragunov 10/29 London (49) 740

6. Kota Ibushi vs. Minoru Suzuki 10/10 Osaka (56) 555

7. Hiromu Takahashi vs. Will Ospreay 1/4 Tokyo (13) 496

8. Go Shiozaki vs. Takashi Sugiura 12/6 Tokyo (22) 295

9. Young Bucks & Kenny Omega & Matt Hardy & Adam Page vs. Chris Jericho & Sammy Guevara & Jake Hager & Ortiz & Santana Stadium Stampede 5/23 Jacksonville (12) 270

10. John Silver & Alex Reynolds & Adam Page vs. MJF & Santana & Ortiz 12/30 Jacksonville (4) 211

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
And now the Category B awards

quote:

UNITED STATES/CANADA MVP

1. JON MOXLEY 955

2. Kenny Omega 109

3. Cody Rhodes 80

4. Drew McIntyre 49

5, Roman Reigns 47

6. Chris Jericho 37

7. Bayley 14

8. Adam Cole 13

9. Adam Page 12

quote:

JAPANESE MVP

1. TETSUYA NAITO 372

2. Kota Ibushi 334

3. Go Shiozaki 158

4. Kazuchika Okada 90

5. Mayu Iwatani 77

6. Minoru Suzuki 72

7. Hiromu Takahashi ` 66

8. Will Ospreay 37

9. Tomohiro Ishii 30

10. Shingo Takagi 25

quote:

MEXICO MVP

1. REY FENIX 258

2. Laredo Kid 135

3, Pagano 69

4. L.A. Park 38

5. Volador Jr. 36

6. Psycho Clown 35

7. Kenny Omega 30

Rush 30

9. Pentagon Jr. 25

10. Ultimo Guerrero 19

quote:

EUROPE MVP

1. WALTER 805

2. Will Ospreay 151

3. Zack Sabre Jr. 26

4. Cara Noir 22

5. Ilja Dragunov 18

quote:

HODGE AWARD/NON-HEAVYWEIGHT MVP

1. HIROMU TAKAHASHI 853

2. Rey Fenix 84

3. Darby Allin 36

4. Rey Mysterio 14

5. El Phantasmo 13

quote:

WOMEN’S WRESTLING MVP

1. BAYLEY 258

2. Mayu Iwatani 238

3. Sasha Banks 206

4. Asuka 151

5. Hikaru Shida 132

6. Io Shirai 110

7. Giulia 63

8. Thunder Rosa 36

9. Yuka Sakazaki 17

10. Serena Deeb 12

Britt Baker 12

Hana Kimura 12

quote:

BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW

1. CONOR MCGREGOR 349

2. Jon Moxley 270

3. Chris Jericho 143

4. Tetsuya Naito 136

5. Roman Reigns 75

6. Kenny Omega 60

7. Young Bucks 41

8. Khabib Nurmagomedov 38

9. Jorge Masvidal 32

10. Cody Rhodes 17

quote:

FEUD OF THE YEAR

1. JON MOXLEY VS. EDDIE KINGSTON 384

2. Cody Rhodes vs. Brodie Lee 119

3. Kenny Omega vs. Adam Page 75

4. Jon Moxley vs. Chris Jericho 68

5. Young Bucks vs. FTR 66

6. Cody Rhodes vs. MJF 52

7. Young Bucks vs Adam Page & Kenny Omega 49

8. Roman Reigns vs. Jey Uso 45

9. Inner Circle vs. The Elite 42

10. Edge vs. Randy Orton 38

quote:

MOST IMPROVED

1. BRITT BAKER 161

2. Giulia 155

3. John Silver 79

4. Taichi 76

5. Jungle Boy 60

6. Brodie Lee 58

7. Roman Reigns 49

8. Tay Conti 43

9. Yoshi-Hashi 42

10. Adam Page 41

quote:

MOST CHARISMATIC

1. MJF 179

2. Orange Cassidy 171

3. Jon Moxley 157

4. Hiroshi Tanahashi 119

5. Eddie Kingston 105

6. Chris Jericho 85

7. Cody Rhodes 54

8. Tetsuya Naito 40

9. Kenny Omega 38

10. Ricky Starks 37

quote:

BRYAN DANIELSON AWARD

(BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER)

1. ZACK SABRE JR. 770

2. Daniel Bryan 153

3. Jonathan Gresham 89

4. Kyle O’Reilly 43

5. Timothy Thatcher 36

6. Will Ospreay 30

7. Kenny Omega 23

8. Minoru Suzuki 20

Syuri 20

10. Kota Ibushi 18

My Moxley Technical Mastermind grassroots campaign didn't catch on :(

quote:

BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD

(BEST BRAWLER)

1. JON MOXLEY 389

2. Tomohiro Ishii 263

3. Brodie Lee 235

4. Minoru Suzuki 140

5. Shingo Takagi 137

6. Eddie Kingston 36

7. Walter 15

Matthew Justice 15

quote:

BEST FLYING WRESTLER

1. REY FENIX 866

2. Will Ospreay 147

3. Hiromu Takahashi 139

4. Nick Jackson 78

5. Darby Allin 25

6. Dragon Dia 16

7. Rey Mysterio 13

8. Matt Jackson 12

9. El Hijo del Vikingo 11

Bandido 11

quote:

MOST OVERRATED

1. BRAY WYATT 444

2. Evil 209

3. King Corbin 132

4. Nia Jax 77

5. Braun Strowman 43

6. Bill Goldberg 38

7. Cody Rhodes 36

8. Seth Rollins 29

The Miz 29

10. Charlotte Flair 25

quote:

MOST UNDERRATED

1. RICOCHET 320

2. Chad Gable 109

3. Riddle 50

4. Cesaro 48

Mustafa Ali 48

6. Keith Lee 47

7. Tomohiro Ishii 41

8. Rey Fenix 36

9. Toa Henare 34

10. Aleister Black 32

quote:

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

1. PAT MCAFEE 355

2. Anna Jay 216

3. SB Kento 158

4. Dominik Mysterio 108

5. Top Flight 105

6. Will Hobbs 66

7. Benjamin Carter 53

8. Blake Christian 44

9. Alan Angels 24

10. Yuki Mashiro 16

quote:

BEST NON-WRESTLER

1. TAZ 741

2. Paul Heyman 225

3. Don Callis 102

4. Tony Schiavone 59

5. Jake Roberts 37

6. Adam Pearce 28

7. Zelina Vega 19

quote:

BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER

1. EXCALIBUR 402

2. Kevin Kelly 389

3. Tony Schiavone 323

4. Jim Ross 47

5. Mark Pickering 31

6. Hugo Savinovich 28

7. Wade Barrett 26

8. Chris Jericho 24

9. Ian Riccobani 21

10. Samoa Joe 18

Jae Church 18

quote:

WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER

1. MICHAEL COLE 384

2. Corey Graves 224

3. Beth Phoenix 155

4. Jim Ross 137

5. Josh Matthews 83

6. Byron Saxton 78

7. Tom Phillips 25

9. Madison Rayne 21

10. Vic Joseph 19

quote:

BEST MAJOR WRESTLING SHOW

1. AEW REVOLUTION 2/29 CHICAGO 306

2. NJPW WrestleKingdom 1/4 Tokyo 294

3. NJPW G-1 Climax 10/10 Osaka 231

4. AEW Brodie Lee Tribute Show 12/30 Jacksonville 174

5. AEW Double or Nothing 5/29 Jacksonville 107

6. AEW Full Gear 11/7 Jacksonville 78

7. NJPW WrestleKingdom 1/5 Tokyo 77

8 WWE Royal Rumble 1/26 Houston 25

9. NXT Takeover Portland 2/16 Portland 13

quote:

WORST MAJOR WRESTLING SHOW

1. WWE SUPER SHOWDOWN 2/27 RIYADH 619

2. WWE Horror Show at Extreme Rules 7/19 Winter Park, FL 240

3. WWE WrestleMania 4/5 Winter Park, FL 99

4. WWE Money in the Bank 5/10 Winter Park, FL 54

5. AEW All Out 9/5 Jacksonville 33

6. WWE Survivor Series 11/22 Orlando 20

7. WWE WrestleMania 4/4 Winter Park, FL 12

8. WWE TLC 12/20 St. Petersburg 11

quote:

BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER

1. KENNY OMEGA ONE WINGED ANGEL 373

2. Adam Page buckshot lariat 114

3. Omega & Page buckshot V trigger 60

4. Kota Ibushi Kamagoye 59

5. Jon Moxley paradigm shift 54

5. Will Ospreay hidden blade 39

6. Will Ospreay stormbreaker 37

7. Darby Allin coffin drop 31

8. Shingo Takagi pumping bomber 25

9. Mizuki whirling candy 24

10. Pac black arrow 20

quote:

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC

1. WWE FIRING PEOPLE DURING A PANDEMIC DURING A YEAR WHERE THEY WERE SETTING PROFIT RECORDS 616

2. WWE operating for months without COVID testing 247

3. WWE stopping talent from third party opportunities 63

4. WWE running in Saudi Arabia 48

5. AEW restarting Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara match 21

6. Rey Mysterio losing his eye angle 19

7. Dana White attempting to run a Native American reservation show in California to get around COVID restrictions 17

8. WWE continuing to employ and push wrestlers with credible sexual allegations against them 15

Bushiroad handling the death of Hana Kimura 15

10. WWE Drake Maverick firing storyline with all the real firings 14

quote:

WORST TELEVISION SHOW

1. WWE RAW 1,117

2. Impact Wrestling 25

3. WWE Smackdown 24

4. Ring of Honor Wrestling 14

5. WWE NXT 12

WWE 205 Live 12

quote:

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR

1. BRAUN STROWMAN VS. THE FIEND 7/29 WINTER PARK, FL

2. Bill Goldberg vs. The Fiend 2/27 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia 170

3. Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara 9/5 Jacksonville 148

4. Randy Orton vs. Edge 3/26 Winter Park, FL 114

5. John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt 3/27 Winter Park, FL 76

6. Brock Lesnar vs. Ricochet 2/27 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia 72

7. Jado vs. Toru Yano 6/21 Tokyo 41

8. Britt Baker vs Big Swole 9/5 Jacksonville 32

9. Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton 12/20 St. Petersburg 30

10. Bray Wyatt vs. Braun Strowman 8/23 Orlando 23

quote:

WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR

1. BRAY WYATT VS. BRAUN STROWMAN 301

2. Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton 192

3. Lana vs. Nia Jax 161

4. Rey Mysterio vs. Seth Rollins 116

5. Tetsuya Naito vs. Evil 88

6. WWE vs. Retribution 48

7. Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara 45

8. Street Profits vs. Viking Raiders 33

9. Jeff Hardy vs. Sheamus 24

Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy 24

quote:

WORST PROMOTION OF THE YEAR

1. WORLD WRESTLING ENTERTAINMENT 1,019

2. Impact Wrestling 93

3. Ring of Honor 31

4. Major League Wrestling 19

5. New Japan Pro Wrestling 12

quote:

BEST BOOKER

1. TONY KHAN 1,022

2. Gedo 149

3. Nosawa Rongai 37

4. Rossy Ogawa 22

5. Sanshiro Takagi 17

5. Paul Levesque 14

6. Hunter Johnston 13

quote:

PROMOTER OF THE YEAR

1. TONY KHAN 1,056

2. Dana White 40

3. Sanshiro Takagi 21

4. Harold Meij 17

5. Joe Koff 16

Brett Lauderdale 16

7. Vince McMahon 14

quote:

BEST GIMMICK

1. ORANGE CASSIDY 386

2. Brodie Lee 167

3. Roman Reigns 142

4. Adam Page 114

5. Darby Allin 62

6. Kenny Omega 56

7. MJF 54

8. The Fiend Bray Wyatt 30

9. Eddie Kingston 29

10. Dark Order 23

quote:

WORST GIMMICK

1. THE FIEND BRAY WYATT 470

2, Retribution 116

3. Alexa Bliss 63

4. Seth Rollins 61

5. Master Wato 50

6. Dexter Lumis 45

7. King Corbin 44

8. Lana 24

9. Great O’Khan 21

10. Miro 19

quote:

BEST PRO WRESTLING BOOK

1. YOUNG BUCKS: KILLING THE BUSINESS FROM THE BACKYARDS TO THE BIG LEAGUES BY MATT & NICK MASSIE 348

2. The Eighth Wonder of the World: The True Story of Andre the Giant by Pat Laprade and Bertrand Hebert 145

3. Under the Black Hat: My Life in the WWE and Beyond by Jim Ross

4. Shamrock: World’s Most Dangerous Man by Jonathan Snowden 64

5. The Wrestling Observer Yearbook 1997: The Last Time WWF was Number Two by Dave Meltzer 61

6. Voices of Wrestling 2020 New Japan Year in Review 25

7. Master of the Ring: The Biography of Buddy Rogers by Tim Hornbaker

quote:

BEST PRO WRESTLING DOCUMENTARY

1. DARK SIDE OF THE RING: OWEN HART 378

2. Dark Side of the Ring: Chris Benoit 240

3. WWE The Last Ride 142

4. Dark Side of the Ring: Herb Abrams 60

5. You Cannot Kill David Arquette 57

6. WWE 24: Edge 19

7. Dark Side of the Ring: Brawl for All 14

AEW Road to Full Gear 14

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Seams posted:

I dunno, most of those results make sense to me. I honestly don't see that many controversial results.

Certain people on Reddit are going to be mad about this

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1365239585308082179

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Instead of yelling at each other let's all share a hearty laugh at Best Year Of His Career Randy Orton not even cracking the HM list

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People keep getting hung up on the "lol WWE finished 3rd place" thing when the numbers paint a different story.

1) Like someone else mentioned, it was an extremely distant third, nearly 3,000 points behind NJPW, in a year where a lot of Westerners were very down on NJPW. It was close to falling even further behind in the standings -- Stardom, UFC, and NOAH got more first-place votes.

2) Promotion of the Year is about business as much as it is about creative. Like it or not, the promotion that turned literally the biggest profit in wrestling history was always going to get some votes for that.

3) Given the lack of first-place votes, I'm guessing a lot of it was pity votes from people who still like NXT.

Other than that, WWE swept the Worst and Most Overrated categories, with many of them by huge landslides, and didn't place a single wrestler in the Most Outstanding category, which I believe is the first time that's ever happened. These are embarrassing results for a promotion with their talent and resources, so I don't know how people came away with that thinking "lol WON readers are dumb fed stans."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How many of these people get unironically excited about the Slammies every year