Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I find myself wondering where my Dad and his wife might be politically right now since they were kind of FOX News people but they both died when Obama was president. I assume those two things aren't related but you know those democrats.

They lived in Delaware too so I imagine they'd have some really hot Biden takes right about now.

RIP, dad and step mom. You got out at the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

81sidewinder posted:

Thank you for sharing. Based on what you wrote, it sounds more like your cruel dad was drawn to cruel ideologies. It doesn't sound like your normal, sweet dad was poisoned by Fox News or Rush. Stay strong and maintain those boundaries.

Oh completely agreed. I don't think he was warped by Fox and Rush Limbaugh, I think his underlying shittiness was reinforced by Fox and Rush Limbaugh. But the politics are fully integral to his personality, so it's definitely intertwined

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

There was a time when I was about 10/11 when my brother (3 years younger) and I decided to approach our parents to explain that since our chore list had increased, we should get a corresponding increase in allowance. My parents flipped their poo poo about this and said that they would have considered it if we'd approached them individually, but since we "teamed up" to talk to them we had "essentially joined a union" and should be ashamed of ourselves, as "unions are criminals who hate small business" and that we would be required to do our chores for no allowance for a month as punishment and that we should be thankful we "still have a roof to sleep under after the disrespect" we showed our parents.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

blunt for century posted:

There was a time when I was about 10/11 when my brother (3 years younger) and I decided to approach our parents to explain that since our chore list had increased, we should get a corresponding increase in allowance. My parents flipped their poo poo about this and said that they would have considered it if we'd approached them individually, but since we "teamed up" to talk to them we had "essentially joined a union" and should be ashamed of ourselves, as "unions are criminals who hate small business" and that we would be required to do our chores for no allowance for a month as punishment and that we should be thankful we "still have a roof to sleep under after the disrespect" we showed our parents.

what the actual gently caress

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And yet the lesson you took from that experience does not seem to be what they imagined you’d learn.

What makes a person go one way or another if they’re raised like that? There are plenty of psycho conservatives who were raised that way who embrace all the crazy stuff they were taught.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

And yet the lesson you took from that experience does not seem to be what they imagined you’d learn.

What makes a person go one way or another if they’re raised like that? There are plenty of psycho conservatives who were raised that way who embrace all the crazy stuff they were taught.

They also banned Captain Planet in our house when I was a kid because "it's communist propaganda designed to make small businesses look bad". My brother and I brought this up a couple years ago, and my mom denied it, and I kept pressing and then she "jokingly" said, "well yeah! If anyone's gonna brainwash my kids, it's gonna be me!". I instantly pushed back, stating how messed up it is to think that's okay, and finally she relented and said "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, sheesh, I didn't know you'd think it's such a big deal, god. When you're a parent, you'll understand."

They are so wrapped up on the concept of "small business" that it kinda became the core of their personas

blunt for century fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 29, 2021

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

They also banned Captain Planet in our house when I was a kid because "it's communist propaganda designed to make small businesses look bad". My brother and I brought this up a couple years ago, and my mom denied it, and I kept pressing and then she "jokingly" said, "well yeah! If anyone's gonna brainwash my kids, it's gonna be me!". I instantly pushed back, stating how messed up it is to think that's okay, and finally she relented and said "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, sheesh, I didn't know you'd think it's such a big deal, god. When you're a parent, you'll understand."

They are so wrapped up on the concept of "small business" that it kinda became the core of their personas

Be nice if they could at least apply that to anywhere it'd be relevant. Does Walmart or BP count as a "small business" to them, because that's the level of business Captain Planet's villains were about.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's true, ted turner created captain planet to destroy small businesses so he could buy them for pennies on the dollar and consolidate them into his big businesses

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

, and finally she relented and said "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, sheesh, I didn't know you'd think it's such a big deal, god. When you're a parent, you'll understand."
My mom liked that line too, and you know what: if she meant "you'll understand why I did these things", that's true for some people! I think that dealing with my own kids has given me a greater understanding of why my parents did some of the things they did. I don't mean to say that you have to be a parent yourself in order to understand your own parents' decisions - you don't - but being personally subjected to the same pressures can give you context for the emotional state and frame of mind that they were in.

But the problem is, they often imply "you'll understand that I did the right thing", and, ah, well, no actually, now I understand exactly the opposite in a few cases! And now I understand that handwaving a past slight away with the "someday you'll understand" line is often just a way to avoid introspection. By putting the onus on you to understand their decisions, rather than defending their decision and helping you to understand it, they avoid having to contemplate whether or not it was the right decision. And never contemplating your own mistakes means never having to make an apology.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

When you're a parent, you'll understand.

I sure did understand a lot more when I became a parent, but certainly not in the way people like this meant.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Same with "you'll understand when you're older/grown up." Yeah, I grew up, and I realized a lot of the poo poo I got from adults I didn't deserve, cause if they'd treated me like a human being instead of some annoying larva to be seen and not heard, I would have actually UNDERSTOOD things better.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My folks wouldn't let me watch Captain Planet because he worships Gaia, who is Satan in disguise, of course.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Similarly, my parents told me I would become less liberal when I had to pay income taxes.

They were technically correct.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pththya-lyi posted:

Similarly, my parents told me I would become less liberal when I had to pay income taxes.

They were technically correct.

Same, what’s more left of liberal?

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
My parents have always been giant hippies, and it's only been in the past few years that we've started mildly disagreeing on stuff because they watch MSNBC constantly. Recently my mother has gotten more and more determined to convince me that the democrats 'mean well' and are just being held back by the all-powerful republicans, so we have these incredibly mild political arguments about that.

I also have an uncle who's one of those rare cases (or maybe they're more common than I think?) of a democratic culture-warrior constantly looking for conservatives to get into shouting matches with. I don't think he actually has deeply held beliefs; it really just seems like he picked team blue at some early point in his life and is addicted to being angry all the time. He once told me that he hate-listened to Rush Limbaugh 'nearly every day.' Guy's also just a general rage-aholic in a lot of other respects.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Blastedhellscape posted:

He once told me that he hate-listened to Rush Limbaugh 'nearly every day.' Guy's also just a general rage-aholic in a lot of other respects.

Christ.

I had a coworker who used to listen to Rush when we'd go out to to lunch as a team. He claimed he only listened for laughs, but he regurgitated the talking points like a pro. Whenever it was his turn to drive, it was almost insufferable just for the ten minutes it would take to get to wherever we were eating, and he insisted he needed it as background noise. We eventually removed him from the driving rotation just so we wouldn't have to listen to it. Coworker was a pretty decent guy in most regards, but he'd grown up poor in a libertarian area of Colorado, escaped poverty by joining the US military, and was 100% on board with the idea of bootstrapping it up.

So I guess it's understandable if your uncle went a little nuts listening to Rush on the reg. Poor guy must have had tendencies toward self-harm.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s 100% self-harm. I’d rather cut myself if I had to choose between the two. That poo poo melts your brain.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

e.pilot posted:

Super-liberal.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Blastedhellscape posted:

My parents have always been giant hippies, and it's only been in the past few years that we've started mildly disagreeing on stuff because they watch MSNBC constantly. Recently my mother has gotten more and more determined to convince me that the democrats 'mean well' and are just being held back by the all-powerful republicans, so we have these incredibly mild political arguments about that.

This is my exact experience lately. I’ve been trying to get through to them, but all my mom wants to do is tell me to watch more Rachel Maddow before she goes to special reporting and isn’t on TV every day. I don’t have the heart to tell her the last time I watched Rachel is when they visited in 2019 and had it on in the hotel.

They’ve otherwise been receptive to breaking them of copaganda, and they’ve always been good on LGBTQ and race issues, but they do not want to admit the people they’ve been voting for all their lives are the same as the baddies, but they’ll smile and tell you it’s for your own good as they slip the knife twix your ribs.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Some ideological beliefs my parents have, while still considering themselves "moderate" conservatives (both white, born in 1963, both raised in the southeast US, for a frame of reference):

-Only property owners should be allowed to vote. If they rent housing to anyone, they get their tenants votes too.

-Child labor laws should be eliminated, kids these days have it too easy

-OSHA should be abolished, it only exists to scam "small businesses"

-Eliminate minimum wage, the only pay you should get is what your owner boss deems appropriate

-Slavery should be brought back. I'm not racist, you're the real racist for calling me racist.

-Eliminate all corporate taxation, and all income tax for anyone making more than $50k/year, eliminate capital gains tax, eliminate "death tax", just flat "fair" taxes across the board

-Employees should pay tax to their employers as gratitude for being given a job

-Eliminate Affirmative Action as it's the Real Racism in our country

-Eliminate public schools entirely.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. When challenged on any of these, they claim to have never believed that at all, then go on to support that very thing they just claimed they never once supported without taking a breath. It's loving exhausting.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Some ideological beliefs my parents have, while still considering themselves "moderate" conservatives (both white, born in 1963, both raised in the southeast US, for a frame of reference):

-Only property owners should be allowed to vote. If they rent housing to anyone, they get their tenants votes too.

-Child labor laws should be eliminated, kids these days have it too easy

-OSHA should be abolished, it only exists to scam "small businesses"

-Eliminate minimum wage, the only pay you should get is what your owner boss deems appropriate

-Slavery should be brought back. I'm not racist, you're the real racist for calling me racist.

-Eliminate all corporate taxation, and all income tax for anyone making more than $50k/year, eliminate capital gains tax, eliminate "death tax", just flat "fair" taxes across the board

-Eliminate Affirmative Action as it's the Real Racism in our country

-Eliminate public schools entirely.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. When challenged on any of these, they claim to have never believed that at all, then go on to support that very thing they just claimed they never once supported without taking a breath. It's loving exhausting.

Like, how does someone end up so fundamentally broken?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

e.pilot posted:

Like, how does someone end up so fundamentally broken?

I wish I fuckin knew. I'm sure leaded gas and lead paint didn't help.

edit: My dad also helped his dad cast lead bullets, and press them into the cartridge casings, since he was like 6 years old, so he was WAY overexposed to lead, even compared to his contemporaries.

edit2: he's also been a heavy drinker/alcoholic since he was ~15. As in, goes through ~2gallons of liquor a week, just for a maintenance buzz, and probably between a half gallon and a gallon on social drinking. He'll have 4 strong drinks before the sun comes up, on a daily basis. Plus coke and pills because why not at this point

blunt for century fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 31, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It helps, I think, to bear in mind that rationality is something people can do, but it is not what people are. A lot of people you likely associate with are somewhat constrained by rationality, they might conceivably reassess their position if they can be (relatively easily) convinced that it is irrational.

But some people are not bound by that, they have realized, likely unconsciously, that they don't actually have to do that, that self doubt is really only something that you have to experience if on some level you think it is a good thing. It is entirely possible to just believe whatever is convenient at the time and whatever immediately satisfies your emotional needs in the moment. Thus the position you adopt in any conversation can be entirely contradictory as long as professing it has the desired effect on your and others' emotional states.

When you have this capability and you speak with more rational people, being blatantly irrational is likely to confuse and annoy them, which weakens their argumentative power and also them as a person, because they likely are not as practiced at resorting to pure force of will to power through a situation with aggression and breaching social norms. Thus the naked display of your contradictory but emotionally fulfilling positions becomes also your method of dominating others around you.

It is really just a fundamentally different way of operating than you might be used to.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

If you want to really tilt your parents, don’t call them wrong, call their reactionary beliefs weird. Reverse the thing they did to you your whole life; enforce conformity. Don’t treat them like a kid who broke a rule, treat them like a kid who you walked in on with a crayon up his rear end.

They’re used to you protesting and saying things aren’t fair and disagreeing. You’ve been doing that since you could talk. Police their normality, not their morality. It’s an orthogonal approach I’ve had a lot of fun with.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

There is also a lot of survivor bias I think. If you grew up in crappy conditions and made it out you saw what "didn't work." Not realizing that you more than likely just got lucky.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

selec posted:

If you want to really tilt your parents, don’t call them wrong, call their reactionary beliefs weird. Reverse the thing they did to you your whole life; enforce conformity. Don’t treat them like a kid who broke a rule, treat them like a kid who you walked in on with a crayon up his rear end.

They’re used to you protesting and saying things aren’t fair and disagreeing. You’ve been doing that since you could talk. Police their normality, not their morality. It’s an orthogonal approach I’ve had a lot of fun with.

Can you expand on this with an example?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mantle posted:

Can you expand on this with an example?

Sure. If they start talking about trans bathroom issues just get a really concerned look. “Do you think we need…crotch checkers? Like a public crotch inspector or something?”

“Dad I dunno, the man who raised me would’ve been really leery of anyone who was this obsessed with what’s going on between a strangers legs. How did we get here?”

The key is that you’re parenting them now: hey guy, I’m worried you still believe in Santa at age 65 type vibe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Easy to do too because a lot of their ideas are extremely loving weird. Bathroom perverts especially.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

-Slavery should be brought back.

"Slavery! No, wait, DOUBLE SLAVERY!"

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

e.pilot posted:

Welcome to social anarchism

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

selec posted:

Sure. If they start talking about trans bathroom issues just get a really concerned look. “Do you think we need…crotch checkers? Like a public crotch inspector or something?”

“Dad I dunno, the man who raised me would’ve been really leery of anyone who was this obsessed with what’s going on between a strangers legs. How did we get here?”

The key is that you’re parenting them now: hey guy, I’m worried you still believe in Santa at age 65 type vibe.

I really really like this idea

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:smug: "Who's gonna get to be the vagina inspector in front of the ladies room, dad? *chortles incredulously* you? "

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

*Dad folds his CROTCH INSPECTOR t-shirt in half with trembling fingers and then throws it on the ground and stomps on it like Yosemite Sam, blinded by tears and rage.*

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I believe that duty will be taken up by inspired citizens, who can earn a $10k judgment in civil court against law-breakers.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Jeb Bush PSA: Please ball tap

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I'm super lucky my parents are Communists; but holy poo poo some of the stuff on here. I feel for you.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
John Travolta is missing part of his middle finger because it is a sign he sold his soul to Moloch and Satan and sacrificed his firstborn child and this is how he was granted wealth and power and he's part of a child trafficking ring, according to people I'm almost related to.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Animal-Mother posted:

John Travolta is missing part of his middle finger because it is a sign he sold his soul to Moloch and Satan ...

I thought that meant he was an assassin worthy of the wrist blade.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Animal-Mother posted:

he sold his soul to Moloch and Satan

So is that like a timeshare arrangement between them, or do you think it's securitized into tranches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
She has become a flat earther. Her husband flew in the Air Force and has seen the curvature of the planet with his own two eyes. They had a big fight about it.