Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Somfin posted:

What did you mean by the second one?

Your spouse wants to sever ties with child and you do not or vice versa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KingNastidon posted:

Would anyone sever ties or distance themselves from their current/future child if they joined the JROTC or College Republicans? Would you separate from your spouse if they wanted to do the opposite?

:hellyeah: :bisonyes:

The smilies page has a depressing lack of entertaining ways to indicate the affirmative.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Can’t afford to have kids, next question.

(JROTC I guess I wouldn’t give a poo poo about while not really liking it, my mom has tolerated my goth phase for what, nearly two decades? I know little about JROTC as my HS didn’t have it.

College republicans? I’d probably pull a gentler Claudia Conway and remind them that the actions and beliefs of the group they support kinda fucks over their mother and in turn, themselves. I can’t stop my kid from being embarrassing. But should anyone else ask “oh why is Child Witch so anti immigrant when you yourself are one?” and say “gently caress if I know, didn’t raise them to be that way”

Also my kids probably wouldn’t be raised in the US because I have the opportunity to not subject them to that, but it’s still a dece thought exercise for 5AM)

E: my answer for the college republicans and any alt right group would be slightly different if they were under eighteen however because lol if my mixed race kid is going to be a fuckin ubermensch. Like there is self hating and then there is flat out “bro do you not get the requirements for this bby klan?”

teen witch fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 4, 2020

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

JROTC? If my kid really wants to. My (very liberal borderline hippie) husband was in the Army. He signed up in early 2001 as a way to pay for college cause hey nothing's going on, it shouldn't be that bad! We already talked about what we would do if one of our kids wanted to join the military. Both sides of our family have strong military ties. Heck, my husband's grandma was a marine in WW2. He would have a talk with them and make sure they really knew what they were getting into. Its not like JROTC is the REAL military. Up until several months ago my eldest son wanted to be a police officer. Now he wants to be a geologist.

The college republican one is interesting. I wouldn't cut them out. I'd definitely talk to them about it and why they feel like they're drawn to the organization. The one big virtue we're trying to raise are kids with is "don't be an rear end in a top hat". We want them to treat others with empathy and respect regardless of the other person.

If my husband cut our kids out for either of those things I'd probably ask him to go get his brain scanned because I'd think he was having something wrong with him.

Another anecdote: I know the stuff I've posted about my mom is more religious in nature, but it did start out political. I think Obama broke her brain. She's super anti abortion and "cares about children". We got into some very heated arguments over Clinton vs Trump. She believed pizzagate and all of those other conspiracy theories. She thinks politicians are lizards (or aliens. I don't remember) that eat children's brains after sexually abusing them. She's VERY good at hiding her beliefs until directly confronted.

She was always mildly racist in a middle class suburban white woman way, but that definitely started ramping up as well as her anti LGBTQ ideas. These are some of the more heated arguments we'd get into. "THEY were getting free college!" Both my husband and I are professors. We'd try to tell her what reality is. Nope. "THEY need to go back to their own country!" Mom, that person was born in the US what are you talking about? Oh they're brown. I made her cry several times by flat out calling her racist.

One of my cousins came out to my mom as transgender. She called me up semi hysterical. I thought someone died. When I found out what it was about I did my best to try and coach her how she should behave and say but I don't know how well that went. I'm not in direct contact with this cousin and don't have a really good way to get in contact with them. I sort of want to to warn them to not talk to my mom. For some reason my mom was really worried that lesbians would try to hit on her and try to get in her pants. I don't know how to say this nicely, but my mom didn't really take good care of herself. I don't think that was ever a real problem.

A nice story: When my dad visited for Christmas, he had a rainbow bracelet on. He told me that his girlfriend left it in his backpack by accident and he didn't want to lose it so he just wore it. My older son asked him about it and he didn't know what to say so he told me he told my son it was showing that you love and respect everyone even if they're different. He was a little worried about talking about what it fully meant (because of my mom) "Oh dad. Its fine. We have gay friends. He understands."

Alterian fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 4, 2020

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Alterian posted:

A nice story: When my dad visited for Christmas, he had a rainbow bracelet on. He told me that his girlfriend left it in his backpack by accident and he didn't want to lose it so he just wore it. My older son asked him about it and he didn't know what to say so he told me he told my son it was showing that you love and respect everyone even if they're different.

This is sweet.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Jaxyon posted:

For the most part, any Republican in the US that possesses empathy became a Democrat. They're still conservative and often lovely but that was the persuadable ones.

My mom's a RINO and complains about conservatives and republicans constantly. It drives me crazy. She registered as republican when she was 18 to stick it to her lovely ex-boyfriend (a very stupid teenage thing to do) and despite voting blue, she never bothered to reregister.

Evey time I tell her she should just switch parties already she gets sad and says that politicians are more willing to listen if it comes from someone in their party. I don't have the heart to tell her that it's not happening in her lifetime.

I also tell her to ditch her lovely friends and siblings, but she still thinks they can be persuaded to be better people. I love my mom dearly and appreciate her faith in humanity, but the second someone says "you know, without slavery they'd still be stuck in Africa" they're out of my life because gently caress that noise.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Teen witch thank you for making this topic it has been enjoyable to read while I am convalescing from surgery.

My father, I have not spoken to for a few years. he kind of just stopped talking to me when I came out as trans. But anyway I have heard that his news feed is full of nothing but cop dick sucking, anti-hillary stuff (?), And weird military stuff which is weird because none of those seem to fit the way he used to be. My mom said he always hated cops and he never served either. But I think he listens to Rush Limbaugh and although he's never explicitly mentioned Trump, I'm pretty sure I know who he voted for.

I have a brother-in-law who I never really talk to but is a cop and that sucks, particularly for my sister. I just hope that she doesn't go fash and her kids don't grow up fash. she's also a teacher so I hope she doesn't loving die from having to go back to school this week.

I remember my sister's took me to the sushi buffet for my birthday I guess like four years ago. This was just the day or two after the president won the election. we briefly talked about politics and they said that I was over blowing things and that I should wait and see. But I told them, even if they don't believe me right now to do me one favor and pay attention to the news and pay attention, in particular, to the people that Trump surrounds himself with in his cabinet, and watch what happens, and that he is a fascist. Again they said I was getting myself worked up. One sister works as a social worker in a hospital and the other as a teacher for kids with developmental delays I guess? And the other brother-in-law is a driver for FedEx. Anyway my sisters rarely talk to me, but I wish I knew more about their politics. I think they're just... apolitical which I can't even conceive of being in this era.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I envy apolitical people more than almost anyone else in the world. Can you imagine being ignorant not only to the heinous nightmare poo poo that happens every day but also to the fact that the world is dying and it's going to take us all with it? That'd be loving amazing.

My stepdad is a libertarian moron, genuinely the political mind of a 15 year old. It's annoying as poo poo but at least it doesn't come up that often.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I don't have a lot of these stories; I'm fortunate to have an extended family that is all at least Dem-leaning if not leftist.

The exception, however, being my sister's in-laws. They are Trump's ideal demographic, white non-college educated old people, as well as....

1) Her father-in-law works in a dying industry (he's an ad guy for newspapers, not online ones but physical ones) and lost his job so many times that the only place he could find one was in Kenai, Alaska, where her in-laws now live.

2) Her mother-in-law flat-out told my sister, the consummate career woman (she makes nearly $200K a year before commissions working for Autodesk), that she would "lose all respect for her" if she did not take five years off of her job after her first child was born, as you see, the mother's job in the house is clearly to become a barefoot, pregnant homemaker. This infuriated my very feminist sister to no end.

3) Despite the fact that the new job her father-in-law secured in Alaska offers health insurance, THEY loving DECLINED IT BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T THINK THEY NEEDED IT. Bear in mind that they are in their mid-60s, and they both have undiagnosed thyroid conditions (because of course they cannot and will not go to a doctor). Despite NUMEROUS attempts by my brother-in-law and his brother to talk them down from this idiot cliff, they have refused.

4) They are, of course, ardent Trump supporters, and we cannot discuss politics when they're around. If there's one good thing that COVID-19 did, it was keeping them in Alaska this entire year.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Super glad this thread is here. I’ve definitely vented about my mom in other threads, but here goes some more.

It’s actually been over 6 months now since I’ve spoken to my mom. I just kind of hit a wall with her. She’s always been a conservative evangelical, but I didn’t realize how bad she could get until Obama was elected. I spent 8 years listening to her rant about how he was the worst president in the history of the country (because of Solyndra and Fast and Furious!!) and then my Aunt also got her into some infowarsy poo poo like thinking the government is turning the frogs gay with soy.

Or as they put it “there are so many gay and effeminate men because of soy in baby formula.” The logic of that poo poo is so baffling, but god help you if you try to debate them.

There’s also a history of emotional abuse and manipulation, so I’ve also never been good at establishing boundaries with her. Because I’m basically the only way for her to feel like her life is worth anything. So when I finally told her some years ago that I was pro-choice and believed in lgbtq rights she told me she felt like she failed as a mother.

I sort of always just dealt with it because, you know, cutting off my mom was not an “option.”

After Trump got elected, who she voted for to vote “against Hillary” of course, she has just slowly become someone I have less and less ability to tolerate. And this is the same person who said I shouldn’t be allowed around my nieces because I had no problem going to Target where they let trans people use the bathroom that corresponds to their gender identity. Like it’s never just that we disagree on things, it always has to go to this deeply personal level. I’m sure I’m just as guilty...except that, you know, I believe in principles that aren’t designed to gently caress people over.

So anyway she’s all in for Trump. When my dad was in the hospital, the doctor asked him who the president was and his response was “...poo poo.” So of course she had to yell “TDS! TRUMP DERANGEMENT SYNDROME.” Like we’re at the loving hospital, calm down.

It’s to the point where we literally can’t talk about anything. Everything is either a liberal hoax and I’m brainwashed, or something is not “glorifying to god.” Her just basic empathy is pretty much gone. Like I try to say something hurt my feelings and she pretty much calls me a snowflake.

So yeah finally, I realize that there wasn’t really any sort of relationship worth saving and cut her (and my dad for other reasons) off completely. I keep thinking about writing her a letter to explain things because I don’t know that I’ve adequately expressed my feelings. But I also realize that she won’t understand and will just blow it off because I’ve been twisted by the liberal media or whatever the gently caress. Oh and she told my disabled and immune-compromised older brother that COVID-19 was a liberal hoax and he should just go out and behave as normal. So yeah...gently caress her.

It sucks really hard to realize how bad she’s been brainfucked...like I’m pretty convinced we’ll never be able to have a relationship because she has zero ability to reflect on her behavior and beliefs. She thinks she does and is constantly doing her evangelical devotional and poo poo....but is coming to all the worst loving conclusions.

Ugh.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I talked about my family, but my husband's family is relevant to this thread. In a weird way, his extended family has more or less ghosted us. My dad's paternal side is ruled by his grandma (Not the former Marine. She unfortunately passed away a few years ago). What she says, everyone else in the family has to believe. They are staunch Fox News watchers. Obama broke their brains too. All my husband (and his sister) want is to just be able to visit them once a year and have a nice non-political time, but they can't help themselves. We don't bring up politics, but its almost like a compulsion for them. It gets awkward since my husband and I are both professors and his sister is a biologist with advanced degrees in environmental science. They will start spouting about the liberal agenda at colleges or climate change isn't real forgetting we're there. There's never been an official "we're not talking to each other!" moment, but we never get invited to family things anymore.

His parents are also hardcore alcoholics and can't stay sober enough to drive the few hours to come visit their grand kids. His mom met her second grand kid for the first time on his first birthday and his father still hasn't come. They didn't come visit to meet our first kid (their first grand kid) until he was over 6 months old. They are welcome to visit whenever they want as long as they are sober. After the alcoholic shenanigans that went on last time we stayed at their house overnight, we can't stay at their house ever again. My older kid is too old and understands whats going on. He'll still recount the story about how pappy broke two chairs by sitting on them and he fell on the floor an how funny it was. My husband talks to them on the phone once every couple of months. They can't help themselves either and just start bringing up politics and that ends the conversation pretty quick. The latest is they don't believe in covid. Not sure if its that it doesn't exist or "its not that bad". Considering we've both had students that have had it as well as students who've lost family members from it, it was a pretty touchy subject.

Edit: Cross quote posting from the comics thread

Alterian fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 6, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My mom is pretty 'normal' in that she has what goons would consider 'succ dem' beliefs. She's vehemently anti Trump and it's a little refreshing to see a baby boomer getting angry enough to argue with other Trump supporters. Unfortunately since she's always outspoken she can get it in her head that she's the only one with common sense. This can make her quick to dismiss someone if their beliefs don't line up with hers, or they are younger than her. She is very smart and driven, organized and frugal so she can easily veer into the 'I did it anyone can' attitude. She has a lot of doctor friends who are always bragging about the expensive private colleges their kids are attending, and this convinces her that student loan issues are due to kids wanting to go to unnecessarily expensive colleges instead of, you know, college itself being too expensive in general. She thinks the kids are just entitled and don't have reasonable expectations. I've pointed out that 1.) she got a full ride scholarship and never had to worry about cost when she was a student and 2.) I went to a 'practical' state college and it was stuffed to the gills with working students who absolutely had affordability in mind. When I press her into thinking about who would be putting those ideas into 'entitled' kids heads she just blanks out;she can't seem to conceive the possibility her doctor friends are pushing their kids to go to these colleges.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

KingNastidon posted:

Would anyone sever ties or distance themselves from their current/future child if they joined the JROTC or College Republicans? Would you separate from your spouse if they wanted to do the opposite?

I would hang out with a lot of ROTC-types in college. It's mostly because I like muscles and that was a good way to have access to people who took care of their bodies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My parents were pretty apolitical until Bolsonaro showed up as a candidate, and then my dad went full right wing nut, and I'm pretty sure it was because he participates in a million of whatsapp groups filled with other olds and "captains of industry" types, and I think he's becoming an evangelical type. I don't know the leanings of my mom, but at the very least she is helping me reject the far-right leanings of my dad.

My brother is kinda libertarian, I think? He loves the captain of industry types like Musk and such, talks about bitcoin but only as a commodity, and hasn't gone deep into the ideology of it, and he really helped me talking out my sister from buying any.

My sister has no political leanings that she has shared, but I'm sending her some videos from Philosophy Tube and Contrapoints and she's watching them so far, so yay?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I thankfully only have one person who’s expressed any chud beliefs in my close family (and his conversations mostly focus on his little boys, which I can get on board with) but man even :decorum: Democrats like my parents get tiring after a while. Gotta remind myself saying “OK boomer” to my folks is not going to help, but boy it gets frustrating seeing how little they seem to register how other people live sometimes outside our WASP background. Think it hurts more because they were pretty instrumental in making sure I developed the left attitude I have, and they certainly didn’t start in the bubble (both were first in college for their families, and both have had plenty of reason to be distrustful of corporate America thanks to the Koch brothers). So it gets on my nerves to see them go so far but then just stop short. I mean, as Mr. WASP from a better off background I can’t claim great internalized beliefs myself, but at least after enough years I’m able to realize I do have problems/blind spots and try to force myself to listen and learn when someone has something to teach me. Have a bad feeling about how well I actually do at that, but irks me how many people who aren’t deranged cultists that I know in my family and friends can’t manage to try that even. Just hope that kind of calcification isn’t an inevitable result of age like it seems to be :(.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

My parents are mainly "anti-republican" blues with some uncomfortable stuff underneath.

Like they broadly support BLM but then go on to rant about both Zimmermann and Martin are both wrong for just not talking things out and why BLM doesn't just have a national head that disavows people like PETA or something.

Not the worst and i still have an otherwise good relationship with them but they're still pretty cringe.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

KingNastidon posted:

Banishing your kid from the family if they have some problematic views in their early 20s is extremely cruel, imo.

I genuinely don't know how to answer the second half of the question, because my SO is someone who I could never see doing that.

I absolutely understand why people set firm no-contact or minor contact boundaries for parents, siblings, etc. I don't see my role as a parent in that lens at all.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My mom and dad left centrism as they got divorced. Dad went left, which was a welcome change because he voted Bush twice, equated homosexuality with meth usage and aids. I’d say today he’s left of Hillary, right of Bernie. He can be the softest centrist dem and I’d be happy.

Mom on the other hand went hard right because her new husband (born and raised in Mexico) got her deep into Fox News world. These 4-5 years have been exceptionally tough, because aside from her horrid politics we’ve been very close. Because Fox is her primary choice of news, her opinions on things are what you’d expect. Terrified of what happens if she leaves for OAN or Newsmax. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. I know she also feels betrayed too because I turned my back on Catholicism and voiced support for known bad-guy organization, ANTIFA. I know at the end of the day she’s just following the trend that her husband and his family are setting. Hopefully trumpism/fascism never directly hurts her or myself and this can all just remain some political football game.

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 16, 2021

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I think it depends on how much of your identity is fused with your worldviews. On one hand, I've largely given up on talking to Religious Right-ers because everything for them is fused to their very soul; if we don'v toe Republican then it necessarily follows that God is dethroned. On the other hand, some people don't have the choice of separating themselves from their views; if you're black, civil rights policies aren't just something academic.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

buglord posted:

Mom on the other hand went hard right because her new husband (born and raised in Mexico) got her deep into Fox News world.

My dad's side is all recent immigrants, and it absolutely kills me when they go off on how THEY integrated into American society, why can't [fill in the blank] do the same? My favorite is "Why don't black people speak with a normal American accent? They speak with a normal British accent in the UK!" :rolleyes:

Never mind the fact that: a) everyone in my family is white, b) they immigrated by choice, c) most of them never learned English anyway.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
the two longest and proudest American traditions:
1. immigrating
2. complaining about later immigrants

Considering what the first wave of immigrants did to the original inhabitants, I wonder how much of it is projection.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Always a trip hearing what “Native Americans” means in the context of like, Gangs of New York

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

It's been heartbreaking watching my dad go full-on maga chud over the past few years. He was always a hardcore libertarian shithead, but dammit, the man emanates charisma and was genuinely a sweet, hilarious dude. His family and employees love him, and he treats my husband like the son he never had. The past year has just broken the guy, and everything out of him is just Qanon garbage, covid denialism, and stop the steal poo poo, even though he's insistent that the assholes at capitol were actually all antifa.

My mom used to be good at reining him in and forcing him to show a little empathy sometimes, whether she was signing them up for volunteer work or reminding him that he was on welfare for two years once, but now she's gone off the deep end with him. Now she pretty much spends her time trying to go viral with Christian tiktoks and loudly bragging that she doesn't need to wear a mask because she has ~asthma~

I miss the parents I had who encouraged critical thinking and not trusting everything you read on the internet.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My parents have alway been a little on the fringes, I can remember them listening to stuff like Limbaugh in the 90s, but it was manageable and didn’t really creep into their day to day lives/personas. Over the last 10 years or so they’ve just completely gone off the deep end and their entire identity has become far right owning the libs MAGA nonsense. I can only imagine they’re probably pretty deep into Q stuff these days as well. I used to call and talk to them on the phone all the time but only call on their birthdays and monthers/fathers day anymore, and that’s still too much. My mom’s birthday is on Jan 6th, so that was a fun phone call this year. They can’t talk about anything without making some off handed political hot take comment about it, no matter how mundane the conversation, it’s exhausting. I couldn’t tell you the last time I actually had a meaningful conversation with them beyond “yeah hi weather is nice/bad, work is good/bad, wife and dog are going well” and it really bums me out. 360,000+ dead last year and they’re still going on about how COVID is a hoax, overblown, and no worse than the flu. It’s nothing short of a miracle they haven’t gotten it yet, and the only reason I can think of that they haven’t is because they don’t really have friends anymore because they’ve gotten so weird and have isolated and ostracized themselves from everyone. Neither of them exercise or take care of themselves, you can hear their labored breathing over the phone these days, if they get COVID it’s going to be an absolute death sentence for them. They act like they’re so superior to everyone but they are like, barely lower middle class, zero college, dad dropped out of high school, living embodiments of dunning-kruger. My sister is a good bit younger than me and spent most of her formative years steeping in their mentality, and she’s become a pretty big chud because of it and as a result I have essentially zero relationship with her, which really makes me sad, because she’s the only sibling I have. It’s weird having your parents still be technically alive, but to have them become so unrecognizable from the people you knew growing up that they might as well have died years ago. Like it’s somehow worse than if they had just straight up died.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

My wife’s mother and sister have lovely chuddish views but they filter it through other wackier beliefs. They both do that thing where claiming one sixteenth Cherokee ancestry means in their minds they are fully Native American, certainly not ordinary white women therefore cannot be racist because you see, their people were here first. And thanks to extensive research on ancestry.com, and 23 and me, they have determined that not only are they native, but they are descendants of the original Paleolithic peoples of North America who crossed the land bridge to hunt mammoths or whatever. Lol.

They love to work into any discussion the idea that they, my wife included, (she doesn’t buy into any of this poo poo btw) are these ancient spirits who possess special radiant qualities and magical abilities. So for instance when my wife goes “hey, that attack on the capitol was petty crazy” they respond with “well you know, WE ANCIENT ONES are beyond all that stuff, so it doesn’t effect us.” This is a convenient way to philosophically be a full on trumper who is mad at immigrants without having to be lumped in with the kind of violent fascist shitstains who go to MAGA rallies.

The whole importance some people place on “ancestry” is so weird. Like it’s not about learning what your roots and genealogy are and finding something interesting, it’s a deeply held belief that the BLOOD of people who died generations ago including Cleopatra herself is literally in your veins and that somehow influences your destiny and gives you powers, all because you paid a website for that information. Anyway, at least it’s not that Q horseshit.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Ralph Hurley posted:

They both do that thing where claiming one sixteenth Cherokee ancestry means in their minds they are fully Native American, certainly not ordinary white women therefore cannot be racist because you see, their people were here first. And thanks to extensive research on ancestry.com, and 23 and me, they have determined that not only are they native, but they are descendants of the original Paleolithic peoples of North America who crossed the land bridge to hunt mammoths or whatever. Lol.

My Mom believes this because her family's been in Georgia for ages and ages and I got two different DNA tests (23andMe and ancestry) that proved her wrong and she still refuses to believe otherwise.

What I really want to know about my Mom is how she managed to inoculate herself from the MAGA/Chud stuff. She is the only person on her side of the family to not go all-in for Trump and his ilk, and in fact argues with them on the regular.

But here's the thing; she's been watching Fox News since the Iraq War. Not as much in the Trump era, but from like 2003-2015 she'd watch it about as often as she'd watch CNN/MSNBC and I was worried they'd radicalize her, but it never sunk in. She has many hosed up beliefs and can be very emotionally manipulative, but every time my Dad and I ask her to not watch Fox News she just goes "oh but it's loving hilarious! It's like they don't live on our planet!"

No one else I know could absorb staggering amounts of Chud media and come out unscathed by it. The worst beliefs she has are about how we need to be Serious People and not risk an election with a leftist like Bernie (she voted for Klobuchar in the primaries because she was the most moderate woman running in her opinion, which...ughhhhh but whatever). If I knew though how she could not only fight but ignore the Overton window (her political beliefs have essentially stagnated in 1990s Clintonite centrism) it could save a lot of minds from rotting but alas, she is a mystery.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

e.pilot posted:

It’s weird having your parents still be technically alive, but to have them become so unrecognizable from the people you knew growing up that they might as well have died years ago. Like it’s somehow worse than if they had just straight up died.

My mom often said this about my grandmother. After a visit where grandma would say something like "Watch out for your Iranian friend, he'll try to blow you up" my mom would just sadly take me aside and say "She fought against bigotry her entire life. This isn't her anymore." I don't know if it was the strokes or the painkiller addiction or just general dementia, but her entire personality changed about 15 years before her death.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's also interesting how people that move to the left will settle into some variation of leftism, but people moving to the right seem to go full bore ultraconservstive. My guess is that leftism by its nature encourages more critical thinking so that particular person is more inclined to be objective and credulous of things outside their comfort zone. Vs right wing rhetoric, which stomps down on the Conformation Bias pedal hard. This thread has given many examples of parents that leaned right very hard without stopping, but conversely I don't see people dabbling into leftism jumping Yoni first into Anarcho Primitivism nearly as often.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

e.pilot posted:

It’s weird having your parents still be technically alive, but to have them become so unrecognizable from the people you knew growing up that they might as well have died years ago. Like it’s somehow worse than if they had just straight up died.

My mom who I posted about earlier in this thread texted me in December asking me what needed to happen for us to talk again. I told her she needs to do legit therapy and we would need to do family counseling. The predictable "I've been in therapy all my life why do I need more therapy you just can't accept I'm a christian I just believe in the bible what do you mean I believe in weird things...blah blah blah" began again so I stopped responding. It really ruined the rest of what had been a good day for me.

My dad said they are finally going through with the divorce this year so good for him! It's really weird to think I most likely won't talk to my mom other than these once a year texts of the same old song and dance until she dies.

Edit: A friend of mine contacted me recently saying they were having a hard time because their mom is becoming a crazy too. I think sometimes it's helpful to know you're not the only person going through it. It can really make you feel worthless because someone that told you they'd love you unconditionally is throwing you away for *this*. Its a mixture of frustration, sadness, and disappointment.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 17, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Panfilo posted:

It's also interesting how people that move to the left will settle into some variation of leftism, but people moving to the right seem to go full bore ultraconservstive. My guess is that leftism by its nature encourages more critical thinking so that particular person is more inclined to be objective and credulous of things outside their comfort zone. Vs right wing rhetoric, which stomps down on the Conformation Bias pedal hard. This thread has given many examples of parents that leaned right very hard without stopping, but conversely I don't see people dabbling into leftism jumping Yoni first into Anarcho Primitivism nearly as often.

yeah. the left is large and open enough that you can find you own nich pretty easy and safe enough etc. i think the right radicalizes harder and easier because hate is super easy to tap into if you do it the right way. anyway. my moms a liberal and my dads a eisenhower type conservative mostly and he kinda hates politics in general but not in the "fox news/gamer gate style" of hating politics, more the "i am busy with work and while trump and the GOP blows and cops who kill people should be prosecuted and etc but i am busy and can't do anything about it, so i am gonna worry about helping my family and such" style.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 17, 2021

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I'm definitely drifting left as I age, so my family does have a point there. Of course, they've been reactionary conservatives their whole lives (like I used to be), albeit in a "we're above politics (but always vote Republican)" way. With the exception of my brother, who made some weird friends and moved out to rural Idaho and posts on facebook about how he and his family/friends have given up on trying to reform such an ungodly nation and are just going to sit back, have lots of good Christian kids, and wait for all us heathen liberals to eat our babies and marry our dogs until God finally takes care of us, then the Good People can come back and re-build America right. I suppose it's less annoying than the "must inflict Jesus on everything" crowd.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I was told a long time ago that as I get older I would get more Conservative.

I'm nearly 40 and I'm only going further left. I'm a Democratic Socialist and Capitalism must be destroyed.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
People turn conservative because they either have wealth they want to protect or children they want to privilege. I don't have either.

(Or due to future shock, although I don't know if that's as political.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cobalt-60 posted:

People turn conservative because they either have wealth they want to protect or children they want to privilege. I don't have either.

(Or due to future shock, although I don't know if that's as political.)

I mean, that's how it logically follows, in the sense that it "stands to reason". But I thought it had been established statistically that this is actually not something that happens as often as one would think?

I'm far from convinced one way or the other about whether a change in one's circumstances fundamentally alters their patterns of thinking, but I feel like studying things like lottery winners has a lot to teach us. Lots of people who were perfectly kind and charitable suddenly (or gradually) turn into monsters when they get a windfall. Or maybe that's more an effect of money magnifying people's opportunities to be lovely, when purely for self-interested reasons those same people are more community-minded when they're poor. I don't know

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It's just something conservatives made up to present themselves as pragmatic realists instead of assholes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All the people who weren't rich and thus conservative died, because poor people don't live as long.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My mother hasn't budged an iota from her 70's radical Yippie roots. 'Free market socialist', power to the people, anti-racist, pro-pot, anti-war, pro gay rights, 'take to the streets' protester. She'd be out in the streets with the nearest BLM group if she wasn't absolutely horrified of corona (lovely, lovely lungs and in her 60's.) She's been Wiccan since she was able to separate her religious beliefs from her parents, and believes in more new age woo than you can shake a stick at. Up to and including believing she has prophetic dreams of the future.

She's also a raging hardcore TERF who spent a good hour screaming at her sexually abused (abuser was on the other family's side :/) 9 year old, autistic niece who was dabbling with gender fluidity about how she .really. wasn't trans and how she should just admit she .really. just hates men and is probably denying being a lesbian instead of buying into the female space encroaching, lesbian suppressing, trans movement that won't rest until every lesbian identifying child has a penis grafted onto them. While I firmly support her decision if she honestly felt she was trans, it was obvious that the kid was dabbling with trans-identity just to get the hell away from being the kid who was sexually abused.

She's said a number of times that if Trump wasn't so.. Trump.. she'd actually like him because she find lots of things to agree with his pro-isolationist, anti-trans positions.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Blindeye posted:

But here's the thing; she's been watching Fox News since the Iraq War. Not as much in the Trump era, but from like 2003-2015 she'd watch it about as often as she'd watch CNN/MSNBC and I was worried they'd radicalize her, but it never sunk in. She has many hosed up beliefs and can be very emotionally manipulative, but every time my Dad and I ask her to not watch Fox News she just goes "oh but it's loving hilarious! It's like they don't live on our planet!"

No one else I know could absorb staggering amounts of Chud media and come out unscathed by it. The worst beliefs she has are about how we need to be Serious People and not risk an election with a leftist like Bernie (she voted for Klobuchar in the primaries because she was the most moderate woman running in her opinion, which...ughhhhh but whatever). If I knew though how she could not only fight but ignore the Overton window (her political beliefs have essentially stagnated in 1990s Clintonite centrism) it could save a lot of minds from rotting but alas, she is a mystery.

Well, I will point you in the direction of the Political Cartoons thread, where everyone delights in absorbing chud media.

I like to think of it as a kind of weird mithridatism where you expose yourself to increasingly large doses of poison to build up an immunity.

And if you're a goon, or apparently your mom, the suffering becomes kind of enjoyable.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

killer_robot posted:

While I firmly support her decision if she honestly felt she was trans, it was obvious that the kid was dabbling with trans-identity just to get the hell away from being the kid who was sexually abused.
It's never "obvious"

It sucks extremely loving hard to be pretty sure you're queer and feel like you can't ever be open about that because you're a CSA survivor, and you're afraid that if people ever find out both of those things about you then they'll confidently tell you that the latter must have caused the former, and nobody will ever be able to accept that you're ~legitimately~ what you say you are

And that's after possibly taking a long loving time to get over your own conviction that you're having these Unnatural Urges because you're Damaged from being abused, and that you wouldn't be this way if only you'd bothered to try harder to overcome it, and this is obviously true because the people you look up to say that's how it works

Your mother doesn't know. You don't know. Never assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also even if that were the reason why then that's just "people are shaped by their environment" so it's kinda daft to say some environmental stimuli aren't valid?

Kid knows themselves better than you.