Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I nod along in general agreement until the last paragraph:

Preen Dog posted:

The only escape from this trap is for things to get existentially bad for the deluded person, and reality to hold a gun to their face. If you want to help them, you can only accelerate their decline while non-confrontationally offering alternatives. Reasoning or persuading at them will only make them more intransigent.
I have only anecdata but my anecdata says that the Ted type of person you're describing, an extreme, pathological personality, won't be reformed by even existentially bad circumstances. They'll choose martyrdom. "Accelerate their decline" may mean "make them suffer until they die from it", and if I believe that then it can't be a moral action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah, fair enough. These people are ethically unsolvable, the trolley problem in human form except the outcomes are blurry. Sorry about your mom.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
The increasing squishiness of the term 'politics' is a big problem. The word is a malignancy. It's come to encapsulate one's entire personal philosophy- my beliefs about the world and society, the particular people I admire and listen to and go to for insight, my ethics. Probably it should be that those are all informed by party affiliation (and vice versa), but it shouldn't be that they're determined by party affiliation.

Years of 24/7 propaganda have fooled very many people into holding the conscious and unconscious presumption that if I'm a Republican there's only one bag of [bad] ideas, and those ideas are effectively me, and if you reject or criticize any of those ideas you are rejecting all of them, and you are rejecting me and all the people I respect. And to do that would be extreme and unreasonable. Therefore in criticizing my beliefs or restricting the things I can express you debase yourself and renounce your own dignity. I don't need to consider what you have to say.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Alctel posted:

Interesting thread.

I read the whole thing and one thing i noticed over and over again was that a lot of people's parents seem to have nose-dived hard in the last 5 years or so, why is this?

Just the increasing prevalence of social media and the ever increasing craziness of Fox News?
  • The miasma of the impression that the stakes are higher than ever
  • Steadily optimized engagement algorithms (online, but also in print media and broadcast media)
  • The normal, gradual process of aging out of popular culture and the feeling of being left out
  • Either: increasing financial precarity caused by growing inequality, with loss of realistic hope for turning things around
  • Or: retirement, and having much too much free time

indiscriminately fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 21, 2021

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
A lot of the tech sector and related industry is run by Gen X and older millennials. E.g. social media is our fault. We're not much better than the boomers, sad to say.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah, you can definitely find a perspective where much of the blame falls elsewhere.

In understanding who best to be angry at it's helpful to have the concept of fundamental attribution error. Applied here I think it would be that yes the boomers have made things quite bad, but if you could have slotted some other generation in their place then that generation would have made things approximately as bad. It's the environment/system that is the problem, in aggregate we humans are thralls to the system.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
It's no wonder that propaganda works. It has the emotional valence to make an imprint. It tells us stories and then tells them again and then again, each time a little different but the same. We love hearing stories that make us feel, and we love hearing stories we're already familiar with. It grooves paths in the brain and each time we hear the stories the paths are grooved a little deeper. Until they becomes the most comfortable -- yet exciting! -- area of our internal canon. Concomitant, the assurance there are always more stories to come, whenever we want them, as much as we want of them. Also a vast and growing community of similar, proper-minded people... brotherhood to secure us in this increasingly alarming and isolating world. Together we can set it right! Just tell us what to do! :love::911:

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
For the thoroughly pilled, I think it's like being obsessed with a lovely MMO, sinking hours into it every day. Yet unlike an MMO it takes place irl, you are your character, there's no logging off for a change of context to reflect wtf are you doing. And there's no deleting your character and uninstalling that part of your life forever. Simply turning on the TV or checking your newsfeed will call you right back into it with positive reinforcement from all the people you've been groomed to respect, the talking heads and internet personalities. And pathetic fellow players- often your irl pals.

Wherever you are and whatever you're doing, many of your nearest mental associations are to game poo poo because you're always kinda present in the game.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
There's no safe level of exposure to someone like this but you might be able to lessen reactivity and therefore lessen damage to yourself with the grey rock strategy (fake edit: on review, sounds like this is what you're already doing, actually). This kind of person is a master improviser / segue artist, whatever you give them can be yes-anded into an opportunity to further expound their bullshit. It hurts to be around it. So be as boring as possible, giving them as little as possible.

There's a cost to being a grey rock as in doing so you are being your false self, which gradually chips away at your self-respect, but you might be able to square it with your unconscious by framing the obdurate cluster B person as though they're a patient in hospice. Or maybe closer to the truth, a child without emotional regulation or empathy. What they say can just pass over you, it's no skin off your back, they don't even understand it themselves, and how unfortunate are they to be who they are. (This might not work for you though, it depends on the details of your situation.)

Put in your time when you have to and then get on with your life. I'm sorry you can't sever.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
That guy is enchanted by his own ranting. Somehow his exhaust is also his fuel.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Zerg rush your racist uncle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Data Graham posted:

The thing is, he thinks I agree with him on the points he does get noisy about, and I don't ever want to correct him. Largely this is because he gets very loud and angry and I don't want to endure any more of his three-hour screaming lectures which he is very good at delivering (and I am poo poo at defending against).

When this happen can you just grab your coat and leave the area?

e: let him rant to an empty room. In my experience just wordlessly loving off is pretty effective blow hard defense. And you preserve your dignity.

indiscriminately fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 20, 2021