Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My brother's politics are... clumsy. If I had to put a label on him, I'd say he's a Bush-era liberal who didn't really move on and only ever had a cartoonish, conspiracy-narrative-tinged take on how things work – he's never felt a need to consciously follow any influencers or figureheads, which is lucky because there was a period when he was very mouthy about his view that feminism was some homeopathy-level new-age woo movement and I felt like I had to actively steer him away from finding out about MRA world and getting sucked into it. Now that he's past his STEMlord Elon Musk worship phase, my impression of him is that he's got mostly-decent if occasionally uninformed takes, but he's aware of the growing white nationalism problem, he understands that talking poo poo about minorities is a bad look, and he came around on Corbyn as the intramural sabotage/press monstering escalated following the 2017 election, so I'm confident that he'll do OK as long as he sticks to his borderline religious aversion to punditry.

My best/only friend from high school is a kind of big tent leftist guy who's been involved in local antifascist organising since 2014ish. He's also been super into boogaloo stuff since around the same time, so when that poo poo exploded this year and was framed as an exclusively far-right thing, I didn't know wtf to make of it because literally my only awareness of it until then had come directly from that guy. He's some kind of lifestyler new-age occultist homesteading shroom farmer who's vocally anti-nazi and anti-QAnon and anti-bourgeois democracy and pro-2A and very happy to work with anarchists and MLs and I haven't seen him in person in over a decade and I think I really need to go visit him eventually and try to figure out what the gently caress is going on there.

My mother is "apolitical" and doesn't vote but still reads the times and the telegraph. My father is a resistance lib who genuinely likes Biden, shares Epic Drumpf Memes on fb, and flips arbitrarily between describing himself as a "conservative, technically" or a "liberal, in the traditional sense".

I have a second cousin who's an Oath Keeper. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

killer_robot posted:

While I firmly support her decision if she honestly felt she was trans, it was obvious that the kid was dabbling with trans-identity just to get the hell away from being the kid who was sexually abused.
It's never "obvious"

It sucks extremely loving hard to be pretty sure you're queer and feel like you can't ever be open about that because you're a CSA survivor, and you're afraid that if people ever find out both of those things about you then they'll confidently tell you that the latter must have caused the former, and nobody will ever be able to accept that you're ~legitimately~ what you say you are

And that's after possibly taking a long loving time to get over your own conviction that you're having these Unnatural Urges because you're Damaged from being abused, and that you wouldn't be this way if only you'd bothered to try harder to overcome it, and this is obviously true because the people you look up to say that's how it works

Your mother doesn't know. You don't know. Never assume.