Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Crazy Mike posted:

Do any of y’all have good relations with your more conservative family members? It’s sad that both sides can’t put it aside when it gets too heated. Having families break up over this makes about as much sense as breaking up because someone likes the Yankees instead of the Red Sox.

For a lot of people, politics has way more impact on their lives than sporting events. Your analogy would only make sense if the Yankees were funding death squads in Rhode Island in order to destabilize Massachusetts.

That said, I have a pretty good relationship with my parents, because their one political Achilles heel is and always will be that they are Small Business Owners, and thus only have political loyalty to whoever will cut taxes. Other than that, they're very open minded and empathetic people who know that they grew up in rural Texas and have a lot of blind spots about other people and other cultures that they want to learn about. They can be kind of dumb about LGBT folks from time to time, but they listen when people tell them why the things they think are wrong or hosed up and make changes accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

HungryMedusa posted:

I agree. I have been mourning my parents for almost 3 years now. I don’t know where the people who cared for me went.

What I think it is for my parents and a bunch of my relatives that have become radicalized is they have become stuck in a pattern where feeling angry is a bigger reward than love or even just normal discourse. It is like everything needs to be high stakes in order for them to interact with the world. You can’t just say “nice weather” without a “so much for climate change!”

Like they have been caught in the loop of - being angry - confrontation (or heated discussion with someone who agrees) - feeling good about their stance - start back at angry.

I don’t know if that is the case for everyone, but I see that pattern constantly in my family and in a couple right leaning friends. It’s an addictive way to react to the world and there are so many sources feeding it.

One of the things that is taught in Anger Management is that rage is addictive. Sure it burns you out and leaves you a shell of a person, but in those moments when you feel yourself getting worked up, it's a very unique high. It also makes you feel in control, which is very useful in a world that makes the vast majority of its inhabitants feel powerless.