Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I've had a couple of close people go down the crazy rear end rabit hole.

The guitarist of my old band was a really close friend, and just as we where looking like we might go somewhere he married a Baltimore gal and moved to the US. She visited here, lovely woman, a little bit manic but thats ok. So I don't hear from my guitarist in a couple of years and then I get a freaked out phone call from her. Turns out he got big time into an Alex Jones youtube rabbit hole , went a bit crazy on the antivax stuff, then beat the poo poo out of his wife when she said she had taken their kid in for the measles shot. I told her to gtf out and if necessary call the immigration department and have him deported if she's really scared. I tried to confront him but the sheer anger and hostility was off the scale.

Last I heard from him was early last year, he was living in his car and an AVO out against him and spending his time recording youtube videos where he takes Wolfmother songs and rewrites the lyrics to be about how evil people who wear masks are. Lost cause. Fucken shame too, the guy was an epic singer and guitarist. Like some sort of mashup of Kurt Cobain meets the dude from Queens of the stone age. But I will not tolerate wife beaters. His ex wife is still friends with me. I let her know that when we welcomed her into the friend circle over here, none of us would exile her from it, just because our friend had victimized her. She's part of the family now, he's not anymore. Wifebeaters are worthless cowards and I refuse to further victimise his wife by excluding her from my friendship or the local punk scene here if she ever decides to visit again (probably not)

The second was my Cousin. The guy was always a bit of a dickhead. Country guy who loves guns, cars and beer, worked as a mechanic in dubai, married an absolutely stunning norwegian woman, moved her back to australia and they settled down and had kids. But he was normal, in a cashed-up redneck sort of way. Then youtube got him. Last I spoke to him, he was full blown Qanon, ranting about vaccine conspiracies, and bullying his emphysema suffering elderly mother into not getting vaccinated. We ended up sneaking her off to get her vaccine, but she was genuinely terrified of her son. Like, fearing he'd kill her. He's pretty much been ostricised by the whole family except his terrified mother. He believes *ALL* the crazy things, and he's got a violent disposition about it. We dont know if he's abusing his wife, but we all suspect it. Either way, he's not coming anywhere near my parents house if I have any say in it, especially with my dad fighting prostate cancer and on some pretty gnarly immunosuppresants. Covid would kill him and I'm not ready to lose that wonderful old man.

These conspiracy theories are loving up everyones families, and it angers me that right wing media and conservative politics are intentionally amplifying this poo poo because conspiracy theorists are easy to manipulate and turn into voters for their shitful parties. II mean, sure I've got a few ideas that are probably nutty seeming to my family, I'm a died in the wool anarcho-syndicalist and I'm not exactly opposed to a "burn down parliment" revolution, should it ever happend and not be driven by fascists. But I've also got the brains to know when theres a sensible audience for that, and that audience definately does not include my elderly parents , or drearily middle-class wider family. But thats the different. This new right wing conspiracy radicalism doesnt give a *poo poo* about peoples personal ties. The believers are only a means to an end, and those running this grift dont give a gently caress if its destroying the social worlds of the followers.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU