Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Loomis may have failed this time, but damned if he didn't try.

https://www.nfl.com/news/inside-wild-backstory-behind-saints-last-ditch-effort-to-sign-jadeveon-clowney

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1302688128843554817

Making a final push late Saturday to land star pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney, the Saints got creative, attempting to pull off a move believed to be the first of its kind in NFL history – but couldn't get final clearance from the league.

The Saints were working with another team towards a unique sign-and-trade deal that would've maneuvered around salary cap constraints to bring the free-agent Clowney to New Orleans. But talks fell apart over the NFL's willingness to approve such a deal, and Clowney wound up agreeing to terms with the Tennessee Titans on a one-year deal late Saturday night.

According to sources informed of the talks, the Saints didn't feel they could compete financially with the Titans' offer – $12 million, plus $3 million in incentives – given budgetary reasons. So, they approached another team to find a workaround. (Sources didn't confirm the other team, which hereafter is referred to as "Team X", but it is believed to be the Cleveland Browns, who have ample cap space and a front office known for having a propensity for creativity, most memorably on display in their 2016 trade for quarterback Brock Osweiler.)

The sides discussed parameters of a deal in which Team X would've signed Clowney to a one-year, $15 million contract and paid him a $5 million signing bonus. Then, Team X would've immediately traded Clowney to the Saints, who would've sent Team X a second-round draft pick, as well as a player to take additional salary off New Orleans' books. The Saints would've paid Clowney's remaining $10 million salary.

Just one problem: The teams got word late Saturday the NFL was unlikely to approve such a deal.

Other teams have, in essence, paid cash for picks in the past, including the Browns, who agreed to take on Osweiler's $16 million guaranteed salary in a deal that netted them a second-round draft pick. Last year, the Dolphins paid Ryan Tannehill a $5 million signing bonus on a restructured contract to send him to the Titans. And Clowney himself received a $7 million signing bonus last August from the Texans to help complete a trade to Seattle.

But several executives from different NFL teams said they couldn't recall any other team executing such a deal involving a free agent who was literally only signed to trade him. One exec summed up the interpretation of the league's bylaws as: "Fundamentally, you can't trade cash."

The Saints have long been willing to convert large base salaries to signing bonuses or add voidable years to contracts to free up short-term cap space. But there is great uncertainty about the 2021 salary cap, given a projected multibillion-dollar revenue shortfall related to COVID-19 that could cause it to drop from $198.2 million per club in 2020 to as little as $175 million. Entering this weekend's cuts, the Saints had over $260 million in cap commitments for 2021, according to NFL Players Association records.

The Saints continued to try to rework their offer late into Saturday night, but without help, they couldn't match the Titans' offer. And after 5½ months on the free-agent market, Clowney decided to head to Tennessee instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Man, I am outta touch. I somehow memory holed that he was a Seahawk last year.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

Clowney said his reasoning for tennessee was "familiarity over economics," and though I understand what he was saying I'm choosing to believe how Loomis was selling him on a contract that would pay out incrementally over 17 years and automatically deposit into an investment instrument that he could turn into tranches and sell on the forex markets "Just like we did with Emmanuel Sanders to get around the cap" and Clowney eventually glazed over and said "gently caress this poo poo."
That sounds like it could end up like Bobby Bonilla's contract.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
This thread needs more Two Glove Teddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjSK-qeJ-A

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Even though I'm obviously not going to root for the Panthers, I really do want Teddy to succeed.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Teddy is going to be the unmemorable name you see in Trivia of "Who was the QB that replaced Cam Newton in Carolina the year he went to the Patriots and won a Super Bowl?"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

three posted:

Teddy is going to be the unmemorable name you see in Trivia of "Who was the QB that replaced Cam Newton in Carolina the year he went to the Patriots and won a Super Bowl?"

I'm gonna laugh if he's Tee Martin instead.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Man, it still hasn't sank in yet that football starts in a few days

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Man, it still hasn't sank in yet that football starts in a few days

Gotta get my DAZN membership again, baby!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Barudak posted:

Gotta get my DAZN membership again, baby!

Are you streaming at like 2 in the morning?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Are you streaming at like 2 in the morning?

Sometimes yes. Night games though are usually early morning for me though so if I get up I can watch them live and then all of you pass out

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Barudak posted:

Sometimes yes. Night games though are usually early morning for me though so if I get up I can watch them live and then all of you pass out

All your rowdy friends are here for Monday night Tuesday morning.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
It begins

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1303750988931706881?s=20

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1303746853243170821?s=21

Oof not good for the Brady bucs

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Also, what the hell is a "soft-tissue" injury?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

wandler20 posted:

Also, what the hell is a "soft-tissue" injury?

Usually high-five to low-six figures with the right lawyer

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Bruised ligament?

Can those bruise?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Good thing the Bucs best receiver is still healthy.

Gee, I wonder who has him in our FF league.

:smug:

As with all things this year, I’m just glad it’s not Covid.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Good thing the Bucs best receiver is still healthy.

Gee, I wonder who has him in our FF league.

:smug:

As with all things this year, I’m just glad it’s not Covid.

Time for Scotty Miller to shine!

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1303794809010663425?s=19

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

God dammit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

CannonFodder posted:

Bruised ligament?

Can those bruise?

Anything that receives a blood supply can bruise.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

A.o.D. posted:

Anything that receives a blood supply can bruise.

Bruise... Deez?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hell yeah, excited to wake up tomorrow at 9:20 to chat with all of yall about what will probably be both a not great game and also a super spreader event.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I wondered why we kept two punters on the 53 man squad.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1303798589731282944

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo there's an NFL football game tonight? What the gently caress? What happened? Something's gone horribly wrong

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Holy poo poo there's an NFL football game tonight? What the gently caress? What happened? Something's gone horribly wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYFH_xNvl5g

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie I'm gonna watch so much loving football this year until the league collapses under the weight of various covid crises. Especially with nothing to do on the weekends.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

the stadium was loving packed, fam... I can't even.

You know exactly the kind of people who were there. The only sounds heard during the "moment of silence for national unity" were boos.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

the stadium was loving packed, fam... I can't even.

You know exactly the kind of people who were there. The only sounds heard during the "moment of silence for national unity" were boos.

Yeah that was mega hosed up

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Makes me glad I didn't watch the game

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Shinji2015 posted:

Makes me glad I didn't watch the game

Don't worry, im sure most games on Sunday with crowds will also feature the booing of black people asking to be seen as human beings.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that was maga hosed up

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tampa Bay Legends Tom Brady and Gronk take the friendship test:

https://twitter.com/Buccaneers/status/1304200482760454144?s=20

:3:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Please be trolling.

https://twitter.com/JuniorGalette93/status/1304499904308482049

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Mike Evans doubtful for Sunday :(

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/saints/status/1304495589653123081?s=21

Okay this is actually good and awesome

Also:

https://twitter.com/kat_terrell/status/1304514443464892418?s=21

gently caress Junior “beats women with a belt” Galette

Spintzel fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 12, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Wasn't Galette the guy that got run out of town for being lovely in the locker room, then justified that decision when the Redskins signed him by making GBS threads all over his former team mates?

gently caress the Saints, but also gently caress that guy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

A.o.D. posted:

Wasn't Galette the guy that got run out of town for being lovely in the locker room, then justified that decision when the Redskins signed him by making GBS threads all over his former team mates?

gently caress the Saints, but also gently caress that guy.

He got run out of town because video surfaced of him hitting a woman with a belt iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He got run out of town because video surfaced of him hitting a woman with a belt iirc.

Just needs to make a career change to QB or clergymen and the saints will be glad to have him back.