Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Ask me about growing oyster mushrooms in a bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

err posted:

Lol at people wanting and adapting to live in a collapsed capitalist hellscape by growing small amounts of trash vegetables and collecting rainwater.

Give me revolution or death.

Suicidal ideation itt. Go Weatherman some poo poo right now. Posting about revolution, lmao.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

err posted:

Maybe you can develop some sort of Soylent drink in a rusty wheelbarrow during collapse, soycuck.

Hell yeah that sounds awesome.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

which strain? how strict is your temp/humidity control? which sterilization method are you using? what's your subtrate mix?

Sure, this is what I do.

Ingredients:
Spores
Grain Spawn
Wood chips
Bucket
trash bag

Spores
Make a spore print from fruiting mushroom, or purchase from a third party. You can do a spore print, then store on an agar plate (which I've done), or you can purchase a premade agar print or spore syringe from a third party). I store the spores in a box in my refrigerator. They last for years in a dormant state and can be used indefinitely as a starter culture.
2. Grain spawn
I use organic rye seed, but I hear good things from bird seed. For rye seed: hydrate in a bucket with 1 part coffee, 3 parts water, 1 tbsp gypsum for 24 hours. Take mixture and dump into pot, and bring to boil on stove for 15 min. Afterwards, drain and wash seeds in sink under cold water, then spread on baking sheets to cool. Let cool and dry out to the touch, usually takes 24 hours. Afterwards. put into half-full mason jars with aluminum foil top, or into specialty grain spawn bags. Pasteurize in pressure cooker for 120 min full pressure. Let cool off and remove from pressure cooker. Store bags on shelf somewhere for about a month. If there is no growth at the end of a month, and no condensation on bag, congrats, you have a sterile growth media!
3. Inoculate
Inoculate growth media with a sliver from agar plate, or from spore syringe. Make sure you do this in a sterile environment with gloves on. I use a bunsen burner burning in front of inoculation spot to minimize air contaminants. Let the grain spawn colonize for about 1 week. take a look and make sure growth is completely white. That means it is healthy. Any discoloration on growth, throw out grain, as it is contaminated.
Inoculation takes about a month.
4. Wood chips
I use Aspen wood hamster bedding from pet store. Cover with hot water in container, and let sit for 24 hours. A way to sterilize media.
5. Bucket
Take a 5 gallon bucket and lid and drill a bunch of 1/4 inch holes all over it. Use rubbing alcohol and wipe down all of inside and outside of bucket. Layer the wood chips and grain spawn over each other like you're making a layer cake. About an inch per layer til you get to top of bucket. cover with lid. cover with trash bag and place in dark corner. After a week, smell the bucket. If it smells like nothing, you've got a healthy spawn. After about a month, take the bucket, take the trashbag off, and put on a dark corner of your porch.

Leave inside if temperature outside is above 80 degrees or below 65 degrees, in freedom units.

Ferdinand the Bull has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Sep 2, 2020

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Torpor posted:

there has to be an easier way, professional mushroom growers, I think, use manure in dark areas or caves, hardly super sterile.

edit: I stand corrected, commercial mushroom farms sound like a huge pain in the rear end also.

It isnt as much of a pain in tye rear end once youve got a rye mother going. You just let a jar grow, plop a bit in the next jar, let that bit grow. Also after you get your space set up and you learn how to be sterile it gets to be not so bad.