Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Has there ever been a real disaster where a bunch of self-reliant cottagecore skills actually matter at all? In real life it seems like when things go real bad you just become very poor and then operate under the limitations being very impoverished brings and not become some sort of low tech pioneer surviving on your wits in the wilderness.

Like why don't poor people right now just get some aspen hamsterwood and grow mushrooms if they want to eat? If they aren't doing that now under a full society why am I going to be able to in a situation that is 1000x more dysfunctional? Am I just the protagonist and thus better at it all?

Like a fun fantasy about an apocalypse is a nice way to motivate learning a fun DIY hobby recreationally but if you look at real situations, slums or refugee camps or homeless people or whatever, there is skills that help them, but they aren't really overlapping with the middle class people larping as homesteaders as a hobby skillset.

Like these threads always come off as "well if I was homeless I'd simply DIY myself a home on my lathe" where it's missing the point of what limitations are and aren't relevant to people in those situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU