Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Game

XCOM: Chimera Squad is the third game in the XCOM reboot and a direct sequel to XCOM 2. Five years after Advent has fallen, Humanity has rebuilt parts of the world as well as integrated aliens into their society freed from the mind control of the Ethereals. Since Advent's influence still lingers, a new branch of XCOM called Reclamation was created to assist cities and settlements in dealing with alien technology and any threats that might be too dangerous for normal law enforcement.

The first of these Reclamation teams, Chimera Squad, was sent to City 31. Before the war, City 31 was an Advent spaceport and for the most part, the aliens and humans have integrated into a functional society. There are those who wish to destroy the idea of an integrated society, whether they want revenge for the Elders or humans misguided by their hatred for aliens, it's Reclamation's job to see that City 31 is held as an example of how Earth can rebuild and coexist with our new neighbours.

Although touted as more of a spinoff, Chimera Squad plays similarly to the previous game, except the members of Reclamation aren't randomized. As well as that, rather than having an XCOM Turn -> Alien Activity loop, each person on the field is given a spot in the turn order, leading to a faster paced experience.

The LP

This LP is semi-blind, in that I played a bit of Sacred Coil's scenario then decided to wait to LP it. This LP also follows the 'canon' of our XCOM 2 LP, so we'll be referencing people and events that occured. I'll do a little writeup of some stuff from Alien War 2 so you don't have to watch that LP to understand this one, it's like 80 episodes or something stupid.

Speaking of stupid, this LP introduces the second occurrence of The XCOM Drinking Game! Slight adjusted due to the generally increased competency of Chimera Squad.

-1 drink every time a soldier misses
-1 drink every time a soldier panics
-1 drink if a civilian dies
-1 drink for each rank if a teammate goes into bleedout
-1 drink any time an enemy is killed instead of arrested (lol I made this rule before discovering you can't arrest robots :piss:)

Unlike XCOM 2 this LP does NOT end if we get a game over, since the characters are important to the story you just get a game over if anyone dies.

Spoiler Policy

If we haven't seen it in the game yet, don't talk about it. Not even in spoiler tags. With that said, any talk about XCOM or XCOM 2/WOTC can be talked about freely. We'll be talking about it during the LP so don't bother with spoiler tags.

Episodes:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 1 - Return Of The Drinking Game

Danaru fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Danaru posted:

Speaking of stupid, this LP introduces the second occurrence of The XCOM Drinking Game! Slight adjusted due to the generally increased competency of Chimera Squad.

-1 drink every time a soldier misses
-1 drink every time a soldier panics
-1 drink if a civilian dies
-1 drink for each rank if a teammate goes into bleedout
-1 drink any time an enemy is killed instead of arrested (lol I made this rule before discovering you can't arrest robots :piss:)

:popeye:

goonspeed!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Oooh, will be watching this with interest. I stayed away from the game after hearing that they stripped out most of the strategic/large-scale management layer out of it, which has always been the true heart of XCOM IMO, dating all the way back to playing UFO Defense/TFTD days on MS-DOS floppy disks (look it up, kids). But I *did* also hear that the storyline was interesting, so I'm glad to be able to experience it.

Since this is a direct sequel, any limits on XCOM2 spoilers/discussion if there's something related to the videos or worth discussing?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
gently caress yeah, chops survived.

Dan, I need to you to figure out how to photoshop the jason mask on her.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

MagusofStars posted:

Oooh, will be watching this with interest. I stayed away from the game after hearing that they stripped out most of the strategic/large-scale management layer out of it, which has always been the true heart of XCOM IMO, dating all the way back to playing UFO Defense/TFTD days on MS-DOS floppy disks (look it up, kids). But I *did* also hear that the storyline was interesting, so I'm glad to be able to experience it.

Since this is a direct sequel, any limits on XCOM2 spoilers/discussion if there's something related to the videos or worth discussing?

I'm gonna say XCOM 2/WOTC spoilers are fine to talk about without tags, I'll add that into the OP in a sec. We're sure as hell going to talk about them during the LP.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Btw great title!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
All of the characters in the squad are interesting and awesome in their own way. I rhink Ive played through four times now to try and get every bit of interaction I could.

I really want to say more but spoilers.

Im excited to watch you discover everything.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ground floor

I binged xcom 2 and chimera squad during this pandemic. Chimera Squad is much more fun to play than xcom 2.

MagusofStars posted:

I played xcom 2 so that I could play Chimera Squad. Although xcom 2 was a good game, I was constantly in fear that I was building out a roster that would not survive the final mission. One factor that led to this was sneaking a peek at the recommended roster for the final level and realizing that I needed a few top rank psionics. That was the only walkthrough peek I took, but I was glad for it because I put off recruiting psionics for such a long time.

I had no such fear in Chimera Squad. And as a bonus, I liked the story and characters as well. the world building could be better though

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Cherub is my darling baby boy and you had better not harm a hair... errr... ridge on his head.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Ahh, I’ve been really curious about this game. XCOM2 was a favorite of mine, so time to see what the sequel’s all about.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I've heard conflicting things about this game, but what I've seen of it personally looks interesting.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Ah yes, Chimera Squad, the game that is slightly less destructive than all XCOMs before it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh shiiiiiiiit hold on to your livers, folks, here we go again!

I can't get vicar's cross here down under but one day I'll get in some IPA and do a drink-along to see if I get anywhere near as incoherent as you do.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Aw yeah!

I hope you pick up Axiom. He's my big, strong muton friend. A berserk, nigh-unkillable and hilariously mobile shotgun-toting badass.

I love about this game that you can take pretty much any agent and make them just absurd with the right skill picks and gear combos.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Last Transmission posted:

Aw yeah!

I hope you pick up Axiom. He's my big, strong muton friend. A berserk, nigh-unkillable and hilariously mobile shotgun-toting badass.

I love about this game that you can take pretty much any agent and make them just absurd with the right skill picks and gear combos.

Torque is also a good selection, although she is not listed as an option in the video.

Had to stop using her very quickly because she was on all my missions and reached principal investigator first, and I needed to spread the XP around.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's only kinda a spoiler but I'll tag it since it comes up in an episode or two. Our second hiring decision is between Zephyr, Torque, and Axiom. :negative: Hardest decision I've ever had.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Oh man, can't decide whether to watch this or not... still haven't played it for myself. But also I won't be able to for a while since I have no idea when/whether they're gonna port it off of Windows.

Edit: the siren call of Grace insulting Dan's game play for no reason won out.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 3, 2020

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

This seems a bit less suicidal than Long War or even Wotc, so godspeed.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Danaru posted:

It's only kinda a spoiler but I'll tag it since it comes up in an episode or two. Our second hiring decision is between Zephyr, Torque, and Axiom. :negative: Hardest decision I've ever had.

As long as you pick up Claymore when he comes up.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

aegof posted:

This seems a bit less suicidal than Long War or even Wotc, so godspeed.

Drinking whenever a criminal is killed is pretty close to that idea.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

As long as you pick up Claymore when he comes up.

Are you trying to kill Dan?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FoolyCharged posted:

Are you trying to kill Dan?

No?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

He has to drink for every bad guy that goes boom, dude

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FoolyCharged posted:

He has to drink for every bad guy that goes boom, dude

Ooooooooh yeah.

Get Claymore anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I stayed away from this game because the load times on XCom 2 were substantial. That tutorial with all the breach shots looked fun as hell so I might acutally pick it up after all.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

RareAcumen posted:

I stayed away from this game because the load times on XCom 2 were substantial. That tutorial with all the breach shots looked fun as hell so I might acutally pick it up after all.

If you didn't get the XCOM2 expansion, they did a ton of work to improve that, and I believe this game re-used the updated engine. Dan didn't edit out the load times in their XCOM2 LP, so we'll get to see how they did on that sooner or later, I guess.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's not a perfect comparison since I'm running Chimera Squad on an SSD while XCOM 2 was on a ps4, but I havent had any issues with loading in Chimera Squad

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 2 - Everybody's Bros

Hear the dread in my voice when I see none of the robot arrests were actually arrests :cripes: and of course Grace picked the most robot heavy route.

Also Maloof is a Lebanese name and Grace and i are loving idiots

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ground floor. Been waiting for this since you started showing clips on twitter.

Good luck, Dan's liver.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Well, RIP Dan's liver.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

If you didn't get the XCOM2 expansion, they did a ton of work to improve that, and I believe this game re-used the updated engine. Dan didn't edit out the load times in their XCOM2 LP, so we'll get to see how they did on that sooner or later, I guess.

I also never picked up the expansion because I heard bad things about that also introducing huge headaches as far the load times went and maybe game crashes as well? Something to do with dealing with The Lost and having 30+ enemies being too much for the engine or something.

If you're sure that it's fine on PS4 (I only have a Slim) then I'll add that to the list of PS4 games.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
IT IS UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES FINE ON PS4 DO NOT GET XCOM 2 ON PS4

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Dan FFS buy tranq rounds

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Danaru posted:

IT IS UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES FINE ON PS4 DO NOT GET XCOM 2 ON PS4

This is what I've been talking about, I already have it on PS4 and that's what I'm basing this and the expansion on!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh whoops I misread :frogdunce: It's very late. Plus it was kind of a kneejerk since 90% of my issues LPing XCOM 2 were from the PS4 port being horrible :cripes: WOTC improves a lot on the PC version, but on PS4 I'm pretty sure it just makes the game mangle itself even harder

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I either put a 1tb sad in my ps4 at some point or just a normal hard drive but either way that's all I've got.

Also just now realize that I never actually mentioned that I was playing it on the PS4 until just now so that's mostly my bad.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Chimera Squad is a stand alone game that is NOT on the consoles (ps4, 3rd generation xbox aka xbox 1, nintendo switch)

it's available on PC only, I think.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

No one has suggested that it was otherwise. I just want to make it abundantly clear

No indication of a port either.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

RareAcumen posted:

This is what I've been talking about, I already have it on PS4 and that's what I'm basing this and the expansion on!

poo poo, sorry. It didn't register in my brain that you're on PS4, since this game is PC only. On PC, the XCOM2 expansion drastically improved things and my load times dropped to half or a third. On PS4, uh, well... Dan showed us how that went. Very much still a mess of a port.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

poo poo, sorry. It didn't register in my brain that you're on PS4, since this game is PC only. On PC, the XCOM2 expansion drastically improved things and my load times dropped to half or a third. On PS4, uh, well... Dan showed us how that went. Very much still a mess of a port.

I apparently didnt read the OP closely enough, because I thought it was multi platform
. :v: Mistakes all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
*raises hand*

Are the snakes fuckable?