Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Game

XCOM: Chimera Squad is the third game in the XCOM reboot and a direct sequel to XCOM 2. Five years after Advent has fallen, Humanity has rebuilt parts of the world as well as integrated aliens into their society freed from the mind control of the Ethereals. Since Advent's influence still lingers, a new branch of XCOM called Reclamation was created to assist cities and settlements in dealing with alien technology and any threats that might be too dangerous for normal law enforcement.

The first of these Reclamation teams, Chimera Squad, was sent to City 31. Before the war, City 31 was an Advent spaceport and for the most part, the aliens and humans have integrated into a functional society. There are those who wish to destroy the idea of an integrated society, whether they want revenge for the Elders or humans misguided by their hatred for aliens, it's Reclamation's job to see that City 31 is held as an example of how Earth can rebuild and coexist with our new neighbours.

Although touted as more of a spinoff, Chimera Squad plays similarly to the previous game, except the members of Reclamation aren't randomized. As well as that, rather than having an XCOM Turn -> Alien Activity loop, each person on the field is given a spot in the turn order, leading to a faster paced experience.

The LP

This LP is semi-blind, in that I played a bit of Sacred Coil's scenario then decided to wait to LP it. This LP also follows the 'canon' of our XCOM 2 LP, so we'll be referencing people and events that occured. I'll do a little writeup of some stuff from Alien War 2 so you don't have to watch that LP to understand this one, it's like 80 episodes or something stupid.

Speaking of stupid, this LP introduces the second occurrence of The XCOM Drinking Game! Slight adjusted due to the generally increased competency of Chimera Squad.

-1 drink every time a soldier misses
-1 drink every time a soldier panics
-1 drink if a civilian dies
-1 drink for each rank if a teammate goes into bleedout
-1 drink any time an enemy is killed instead of arrested (lol I made this rule before discovering you can't arrest robots :piss:)

Unlike XCOM 2 this LP does NOT end if we get a game over, since the characters are important to the story you just get a game over if anyone dies.

Spoiler Policy

If we haven't seen it in the game yet, don't talk about it. Not even in spoiler tags. With that said, any talk about XCOM or XCOM 2/WOTC can be talked about freely. We'll be talking about it during the LP so don't bother with spoiler tags.

Episodes:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 1 - Return Of The Drinking Game

Danaru fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

MagusofStars posted:

Oooh, will be watching this with interest. I stayed away from the game after hearing that they stripped out most of the strategic/large-scale management layer out of it, which has always been the true heart of XCOM IMO, dating all the way back to playing UFO Defense/TFTD days on MS-DOS floppy disks (look it up, kids). But I *did* also hear that the storyline was interesting, so I'm glad to be able to experience it.

Since this is a direct sequel, any limits on XCOM2 spoilers/discussion if there's something related to the videos or worth discussing?

I'm gonna say XCOM 2/WOTC spoilers are fine to talk about without tags, I'll add that into the OP in a sec. We're sure as hell going to talk about them during the LP.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's only kinda a spoiler but I'll tag it since it comes up in an episode or two. Our second hiring decision is between Zephyr, Torque, and Axiom. :negative: Hardest decision I've ever had.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's not a perfect comparison since I'm running Chimera Squad on an SSD while XCOM 2 was on a ps4, but I havent had any issues with loading in Chimera Squad

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 2 - Everybody's Bros

Hear the dread in my voice when I see none of the robot arrests were actually arrests :cripes: and of course Grace picked the most robot heavy route.

Also Maloof is a Lebanese name and Grace and i are loving idiots

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
IT IS UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES FINE ON PS4 DO NOT GET XCOM 2 ON PS4

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh whoops I misread :frogdunce: It's very late. Plus it was kind of a kneejerk since 90% of my issues LPing XCOM 2 were from the PS4 port being horrible :cripes: WOTC improves a lot on the PC version, but on PS4 I'm pretty sure it just makes the game mangle itself even harder

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dan FFS buy tranq rounds

I actually might do this because holy wow last session got uh, rough. Like if anyone who watched XCOM 2 and remembers that ambush where by the end of it I could only exclusively speak in a terrible communist Larry the Cable Guy impression, it was roughly in the same ball park.

But it's not because I NEED tranqs dammit :mad:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I will never not hunger for landlord steaks

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 3 - Please Leave

The reinforcements mechanic can be kind of a bummer sometimes but I understand why it exists. I just like whacking people :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Torque's strangling move was also a really safe way to finish off an injured enemy in an inconvenient spot :v: I'm really hoping her and Zephyr show up again

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Well poo poo I totally misremembered Torque as knocking out nerds she strangled. :frogdunce: glad I found out now instead of later.

New episode coming in a bit once i get home because phone posting episodes sucks rear end

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 4 - Cracking Skulls

In which we find out Axiom wasn't actually trying to arrest that guy he smashed before :cripes:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Alright since you guys are cool with it, and since the last session got uhh pretty deep into Yellin' Time territory, we'll change up the rules so I dont drink for robots being destroyed. Maybe I'll change the wording to drink whenever an enemy dies, since that's the same distinction the game uses for Verge's brain network :v: and since this isnt a Taro game, robots arent alive so they cant be killed

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

White Coke posted:

It's Political Correctness gone mad! Or are we supposed to say Cancel Culture now?

Sacred Coil's big project is basically just reddit, churning out poo poo like "you know XCOM were the real fascists during the war" and people concern trolling about what bathrooms Sectoids use since they dont have biological sexes

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 5 - Oh No Robot!

Nothing but raw deals tonight

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 6 - A Sick Lean

I'd honestly be sad if this game didn't have weird visual glitches, it's been part of XCOM's DNA since the DOS era :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 7 - A Smushy, Smushy Boy

So it turns out agents can get scars if they get gravely wounded at all :cripes: I thought it was only if they went into bleedout

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 8 - I Know About Apples

Whisper gets increasingly frightened at the commander screaming about apples and indecipherable garbage over the radio, Director Kelly just says "he opened the Vicar's Cross didnt he"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheKirbs posted:

I thought Sacred Coil were alien supremacists not human ones

Yeah they are, I keep mixing them up with Shrike, the buttasses who got mad that XCOM had a poor view on genocide for some reason :frogdunce: I don't know what the other two factions are all about but I'm not expecting any egalitarians

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 9 - I love my lovely stupid children

Back in Alien War 2 they referred to this as "The Uh-Oh Hour". I like yelling :downs:

E: Whoops yeah that's the one

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 23, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can assure you there's nothing to worry about, I only buy enough beer to get just below my limit. I'm a giant baby when it comes to nausea so I know exactly where my line is :v: Plus we've been doing this for years

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 10 - They're Just Mad

It's amazing how much game you can actually play when you don't have to deal with ten minute loading screens

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 11 - Straight Up Balls

Walk it off, Axiom

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 12 - I Have Opinions About Fascism

We're kicking down Sacred Coil's door! Soon these Ronin will be Exterminated.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'd like Andrea more if she ever invited me to thursday night ride armour gun hockey :mad: Just because I dont breath acid suddenly I'm not good enough

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 13 - Hope You Like Hell

Fun fact: while researching about this mission between recording sessions to see if I was missing something, I found out a ton of people consider this the hardest mission in the game, even when played with top rank agents with maxed out equipment!

Also the best advice most websites have for beating this mission when you do Sacred Coil first is "Don't do Sacred Coil First"

:negative:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah I played up to right around this mission before realizing I horribly underleveled my dudes by rushing timer missions :frogdunce: I also didnt have patchwork so the whole Oops All Robots thing was horrible. Instead of restarting, I decided to wait and LP blind instead since as this LP has proven, I only make good decisions

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 14 - Andrea's Big Day

Posting this early since we're hopefully playing more on friday and I want to whittle down the backlog a bit.

also because :smugbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I dunno what you guys are talking about but I guarantee I'll pick all the wrong options and go "haha big lady go kick" while selecting them

I'm not saying the current conversation is bad, just warning you all that I will NOT remember any of it when I need to :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 15 - She Said Spated

Get used to me giggling every time Zephyr kicks someone in the head because I loving love that animation

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I stand by both choices :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah in practice it's basically Bladestorm but with a shotgun

I'll be honest there are very few perks I'd consider over that

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 16 - And Now It Fix

Whoops lost track of days :shepface: This shoulda been up earlier

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Zephyr functioning a lot like a Templar easily makes her one of my favourite agents. Despite my uh, track record, Templars were my favourite resistance faction

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Terminal would 100% be a top tier shitposter.

Cherub would unironically send people minions memes

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 17 - The One Where Grace's Coworkers Cant Function Without Him

Okay these last couple weeks have been kicking my rear end, over the next few days I'm going to try to post a bunch of these way sooner because we have like an entire other session in the backlog and we recorded it a while back god dammit

Also fun fact: since this episode, Grace moved to a different location at his job, and his old location is now in a complete collapse up to the point that the guy in charge is being run out of the company because there are LITERALLY zero functioning employees now that Grace is gone. It owns

Danaru fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 30, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I stand by all my decisions, especially the bad ones :colbert: Pin Down is for cowards and while Lockdown is good, punches and kicks should be nonlethal

I forget what Untouchable was but it was probably for cowards too

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Y'all are a bunch of cops :mad:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 18 - One Continuous Mom

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dead Reckoning posted:

whatever happened to all those human Advent VIPs who were snatched out of city centers, brought to the Avenger, and then never heard from or spoken of again?

Depends on how easily they talked, either we dumped them naked in the woods a kilometer from the closest city, or we swept whatever's left off the Avenger while flying over the ocean.

This is off the record, right?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 19 - Tiny Babbor Muton

I will never remember that Torque uses SMGs, for some reason my brain wont let go of thinking she uses rifles

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah we figured that out after the session, so expect me to continue getting confused about it for a while.

It's actually really clever game design since poison is one of the only persistent damage effects you cant just hunker down to get out of, and if you're equipping medkits on people it likely means Terminal's off the case, so you dont have the situation of having to use your only medkit to depoison yourself :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 20 - Uh Oh Spaghettios

Terminal please come back