Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ground floor

I binged xcom 2 and chimera squad during this pandemic. Chimera Squad is much more fun to play than xcom 2.

MagusofStars posted:

Oooh, will be watching this with interest. I stayed away from the game after hearing that they stripped out most of the strategic/large-scale management layer out of it, which has always been the true heart of XCOM IMO, dating all the way back to playing UFO Defense/TFTD days on MS-DOS floppy disks (look it up, kids). But I *did* also hear that the storyline was interesting, so I'm glad to be able to experience it.

I played xcom 2 so that I could play Chimera Squad. Although xcom 2 was a good game, I was constantly in fear that I was building out a roster that would not survive the final mission. One factor that led to this was sneaking a peek at the recommended roster for the final level and realizing that I needed a few top rank psionics. That was the only walkthrough peek I took, but I was glad for it because I put off recruiting psionics for such a long time.

I had no such fear in Chimera Squad. And as a bonus, I liked the story and characters as well. the world building could be better though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Last Transmission posted:

Aw yeah!

I hope you pick up Axiom. He's my big, strong muton friend. A berserk, nigh-unkillable and hilariously mobile shotgun-toting badass.

I love about this game that you can take pretty much any agent and make them just absurd with the right skill picks and gear combos.

Torque is also a good selection, although she is not listed as an option in the video.

Had to stop using her very quickly because she was on all my missions and reached principal investigator first, and I needed to spread the XP around.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Chimera Squad is a stand alone game that is NOT on the consoles (ps4, 3rd generation xbox aka xbox 1, nintendo switch)

it's available on PC only, I think.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

No one has suggested that it was otherwise. I just want to make it abundantly clear

No indication of a port either.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

personally, I think Jesus wouldn't want you to hate androids

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Torque is especially good for moving people close to her, either allies or hostages for rescuing or enemies for strangulation (stun and damage) and takedowns.

And although she's unable to do much else while strangulating, it's a basic part of her toolkit and can be done as many times as you like.

Vipers were a particularly nasty enemy for me in Xcom 2, so Torque's OP abilities were especially fun for me to use.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 7 - A Smushy, Smushy Boy

So it turns out agents can get scars if they get gravely wounded at all :cripes: I thought it was only if they went into bleedout

"this game has become shockingly prescient" :smith:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Danaru posted:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 8 - I Know About Apples

Whisper gets increasingly frightened at the commander screaming about apples and indecipherable garbage over the radio, Director Kelly just says "he opened the Vicar's Cross didnt he"

"apples are apples"

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Section Z posted:

*Terrible shot against android*
Axiom: You want to aim for the fleshy bits.

Godmother, stop listening to Axiom's advice on anything but punching.

I also want drunk Dan to read the 'anonymous tip' Patchwork wrote about how X-Com should totally extract the cool kid with cyber legs.

that's a pretty cool bio, actually.

Despite what sounded like a very high intoxication level, that last mission was pretty much perfect.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I love how the mission descriptions are all like "watch out, here there be robots" and you're all like "I hope there are robots on this mission". I don't share the same enthusiasm because I only had Terminal as my gremlin handler in my playthrough.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Section Z posted:

I know the big deal is the Sacred Coil base. But what I want to know is why did you even bother getting sent to save that Data Analyst, if they are so terrible at their job you only get 80% chance for intel?

maybe the data analyst's job is to create stock market predictions and analyze elerium futures and not the capabilities or strategies of terrorist organizations

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

32:50 posted:

"there could have been andromedon in here, so it could be worse"

"they do have andromedon in here"

same here, I wish for andromedon death

We haven't seen any andromedon civilians yet, have we? Kinda makes me wonder about the role of these people in this city's society.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if andrea were a playable character, would a locker even be needed?

I guess you have to store the suit coolant somewhere but it would be unlikely that osha-equivalent agencies would allow such dangerous chemicals to be stored in a locker room.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Danaru posted:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 13 - Hope You Like Hell

Fun fact: while researching about this mission between recording sessions to see if I was missing something, I found out a ton of people consider this the hardest mission in the game, even when played with top rank agents with maxed out equipment!

Also the best advice most websites have for beating this mission when you do Sacred Coil first is "Don't do Sacred Coil First"

:negative:

:allears:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:tif:

I think there should be a rule where you take a break if you actually fail a mission due to losing your squad, since everyone's ranks are so high now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kinfolk910 posted:

That said isn't this their second or third play through? I could have sworn they said they finished this game before.

Then again they are playing sub-optimally under some very bad personal modifiers. IE: Being drunk off their gourd.

I think it's just part of one campaign (Sacred Coil) before deciding that this was so good that a blind(ish) LP was the way to go.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Clarste posted:

My understanding of this mission is that the Gatekeeper is technically a 3rd party and therefore adding it to the battle is supposed to make things easier since it'll draw enemy fire and possibly kill them, but this was incredibly poorly handled by the game design so it doesn't work like that at all.

As we saw in the gameplay, sometimes the Gatekeeper will attack the Sacred Coil members.

I don't really know of a reliable way to get it to keep attacking the enemy though. Maybe it will go after the largest number of bunched up units? Maybe it wants to kill weaker people as soon as possible to raise psi zombies?

I just cross my fingers and hope for the best

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mikl posted:

Congrats 🎉🎉🎊👏 :toot:

Also I love Punch Lady already :allears:

Zephyr is probably the best choice for the liver. And the punches are so satisfying to watch.

actually, she does kicks

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Danaru posted:

I dunno what you guys are talking about but I guarantee I'll pick all the wrong options and go "haha big lady go kick" while selecting them

I'm not saying the current conversation is bad, just warning you all that I will NOT remember any of it when I need to :v:

:golfclap:

Thank you for playing the game to amuse the thread, which does not necessarily involve speedrunning or minmaxing the tactics

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Crazy Achmed posted:

Congrats on beating that pile of bullshit. I'm probably full of poo poo as well, but it feels like always, always killing the guardian during a breach is a good idea. gently caress those guys.

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

You're doing great, but don't forget showing off the field teams between missions.

Also, I'm kinda thinking about picking up the oyster stout.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

kaosdrachen posted:

He's pretty great.

I came in late to this LP and didn't check out the earliest ones; has the squad met him in-game yet? Or is that a random encounter that doesn't always happen?

Wow, I had no idea you could meet him in-game.

He hasn't appeared in person, no.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Remember that extremely questionable poo poo most governments have at least dabbled in at some point IRL? Welp, XCOM did it too after they won the war. Cherub loves nachos!"

I mean, resistance XCOM itself was a deniable, unaccountable direct action network, whose methods could often be described as "terroristic", being funneled guns and money by a senior administration spokesman, and descended from an organization whose underground lair literally contained a chamber for torturing and dissecting captives. So old habits die hard, I guess?

Some reporter looking into why a Senior Agent of the Reclamation Agency bears a striking resemblance to the snake lady who ran New Arctic Human Liquidation Black Site #7 is going to be found crushed to death in a steamer trunk snake lady themed strip club, and Godmother is going to No Comment when City 31 PD files it as a "death by misadventure."

people are not going to ask for comment when you get to David Carradine levels of misadventure

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

How would getting hugs from two snake ladies at the same time actually work?

I'm not willing to browse Reddit to find out though. I bet they moved on from that to something even more outlandish.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:eyepop:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Instead of a picture of Mary when it crashes, you should post a picture of Andrea.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

W.T. Fits posted:

You're thinking of Torque.

Also, Torque is an earthling. Technically.

I bet some humans would pay for that sort of thing

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Flesnolk posted:

Aren't Chryssalids non-sapient murderbugs? That's more like chowing down on the rabid grizzly that just charged you than eating a Muton or Sectoid. Also after the whole "killing everyone's pets and livestock" thing they can shut up and get on the dinner table as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

this kinda reminds me of how half life 2 handled this, where the vortigaunts ended up being peaceful folk that charged up your suit and ate roasted headcrab. Living their best life, just hanging out.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

W.T. Fits posted:

"Man, somebody said there was gonna be a thing to make it so that I can put two people on the 3D printer."

"Somebody lied, I bet. loving rear end in a top hat."

Nah, I didn't lie, I just didn't go into enough detail on what needed to be done.

Basically, in order to unlock the second slot for Assembly, Spec Ops and Training, you need to research all of the stuff that lets you upgrade your Field Teams to Rank 3. Once you've done that, you need to rank up at least one of each kind of Field Team to Rank 3. Each type of team you get to Rank 3 will unlock a research project in the Assembly to open up a slot in a specific area.

If I recall correctly, getting a Security Team to Rank 3 unlocks it for Spec Ops, getting a Technology Team to Rank 3 unlocks it for the Assembly, and getting a Rank 3 Finance Team unlocks it for Training.

Thank you for pointing this out. I had access to all those facilities since I spent so many resources on field teams, but I had no idea that it was those choices that unlocked them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I started a new game to replay some of it because of the LP but my starting crew consists of three people that I didn't choose in my first playthrough, and Torque. And I chose Sacred Coil as my first faction.

I went all in on field teams but I need more armor shredding gear and I haven't unlocked the black market yet. This is my second playthrough and I'm making so many mistakes, Dan is really good at this, particularly in positioning and risk management, and the original story campaign characters are such an excellent composition to boot.

Cherub was my first addition out of the original story campaign characters and the dialogue is spot on.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

W.T. Fits posted:

Sacred Coil is always a rough first investigation just because they have so many bullshit units, with Ronin being the worst of the worst due to having Lightning Reflexes, Bending Reed, the ability to inflict root/rupture or just force you to waste an action reloading when they hit you, they can go into a melee counterattack stance, and oh yeah, just because there aren't enough "gently caress yous" in that list of abilities, they also have an ability that gives them two extra turns in the round. :argh:

I'm tempted to go back about 4 missions and see if I can switch out cherub for zephyr and watch as the ronin willingly make their way to certain death.

Maybe I'll just finish sacred coil and start a new game entirely.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Danaru posted:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 28 - Oh, They're Lying

Well we knocked over a fish packing plant, that's basically the same as taking down Gray Phoenix right?

Sacred Coil had a gatekeeper in the final mission. My my, what will Gray Phoenix have? :allears:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hmm, I remember another encounter after the ufo

kinda interesting to see how the game changes for each player

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

W.T. Fits posted:

The takedown mission for each faction consists of five maps total, with the player only ever seeing three of them based on the order you play through the factions in. If you take on a faction first, then you do maps 1-3, if you take them on second, you do maps 2-4, and if it's the last faction, you do maps 3-5.

So for example, in Danaru's run, since he did Sacred Coil first, he got maps 1 (subway area outside the temple), 2 (the temple that ends with the two waves of Ronin reinforcements) and 3 (the room where Bellus Mar summoned the Gatekeeper). If he'd gone for them second instead of first, he'd have started on map 2, moved on to map 3, and then there would have been an additional map beyond that. If he'd saved Sacred Coil for last, he would have started in the room where the Gatekeeper was summoned, then moved on to the last two maps after that.

Wow, that's good info. It really does merit replayability ... I guess I did sacred coil first on my first playthrough and I should rejigger my factions on my next playthrough.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

whatever it is, blame andrea

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sally posted:

haha you should change it back!

just say that it's a snake people mod for stardew valley

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Section Z posted:

Catching back up and I'm proud of Cherub's growing kill count.

I hope Dan's new job is cool and one where people won't get mad at paying him for being indestructible.

Except that Patchwork is somehow going to stay on top by hook or by crook.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ah Patchwork. So good at her job that she was promoted out of it. Now relegated to building plush torque and axiom dolls until the next spec ops slot opens, at which point she'll spend her time distributing those dolls to gain votes for the deputy mayor

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Chuu posted:

. . . were you talking about Donner Kebab in the last video? I've had it at several places in the US and Europe and never heard of or seen putting cheese on it before.

maybe he doesn't recognize it as doner kebab unless it's in the Canadian style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I kinda wish the episode title was the madonna comment