Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jecht
Jul 30, 2006
Make the LinkedIn account. Unless you have a strong professional network that you intentionally cultivated in college, by networking with professors and other students who had gone on to work for companies you want to work for, it is absolutely essential.

You did go to office hours and cultivate relationships with your professors and people that work in the industry, right?

Unfortunately, due to COVID and the layoffs of engineers from the likes of Uber and AirBNB, competition right now is the fiercest it's ever been. You'll need to have extremely strong interviewing skills to make it beyond the phone screen today. That means, if you're asked a question with an optimal solution that requires a heap sort, for example, you'll need to identify the optimal solution, walk through the solution in English, code it up, then write some mock tests, and speak to the big-O notation of the solution, all in about 20 minutes. You may need to do this twice, in any given session, to be considered a strong candidate.

It's a tough market, but if you're willing to move to Silicon Valley and you actually spent some time outside of your classes developing software, i.e. you're not just another hapless CS grad looking for a big payday, you can earn $200,000 in salary/bonus/stock grants your first year out of college. The extra pay 100% offsets the cost of living in Silicon Valley, and if you're talented, you can make ~$400k after five years or so, if you promote up and you're willing to jump ship once or twice.

Welcome to the industry, and good luck!

Edit: to add some anecdotal credentials, I get harassed by 10-20 recruiters, per month, to interview for new roles across startups and big tech alike. I had interviews lined up at several big tech companies when I graduated with my BS, worked at a startup for a while, and jumped ship later to a "2nd tier" big tech company that you've heard of, because I thought it would offer an accelerated career path. The jump paid off.

But you absolutely need to be social and "play the game" to move up quickly and make big bucks in the industry. Talent is extremely important to do well, but generally, you'll be waiting a loooong time to make the big bucks if you don't ask your manager for raises, and aren't willing to jump ship when you're not paid what you like. And it's essential to negotiate everything, from starting pay to annual raises.

Jecht fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jecht
Jul 30, 2006
Plenty of CS graduates are loners -- I know it was hard for me to personally break out of my shell.

I think it's still worthwhile to reach out to recruiters for companies you want to work for.

Adobe has an Ottawa office, and they've been on an acquisition spree these last few years. If you want the startup feel with big company backing, Adobe might be a company to look into.

There's also a tech and marketing agency, Redstamp, that's headquartered in Canada. I know a contractor that recently quit, due to issues with being a US-based contractor working for a Canadian company.

Anyway, starting out can be rough, but while you're job hunting, it wouldn't hurt to purchase a few low-price courses from Udemy, to learn some fundamentals of how software is written in a commercial environment.

Good luck!