Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I have not used LinkedIn to find a job as a new grad, but it's really good at finding relevant jobs once you have your experience and skillset filled in. There's a lot of different job titles I could do, and it's really nice when I'm searching for jobs on LinkedIn, I don't have to search by job title, I'll just plug in a city or area and it will give me all the hobs in that area, but sorted by the ones most relevant to me, and it does a good job.

In my opinion it's most useful for connecting with acquaintances, former colleagues, classmates, that kind of thing. Then sometimes you'll be interviewing at a company and find out you know someone there that can give you the inside scoop on what it's like, or find someone you know that can refer you for a job you're interested in.

Regarding privacy I get your concerns. I don't have a profile picture, and it doesn't cause problems besides LinkedIn periodically pestering you to add one. I think there's also some privacy settings so that only connections can see your full profile details, although LinkedIn sometimes flips switches or makes privacy "uh-ohs" that undo your privacy, so if it's critical to you, then it may be best to avoid. I'd also recommend using a different e-mail address than you normally use, as LinkedIn sometimes treats knowing someone's e-mail address as confirmation that you know the person (plus makes it slightly harder for you to be associated with other things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU