Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

As a hiring manager for software engineers, LinkedIn is basically the only tool we've been able to use to consistently source good quality candidates outside of networks. The vast, vast majority of incoming applications are unqualified; at one point of 600 inbound applications 15 passed the recruiter phone screen and 3 passed the technical screen to make it to an onsite. Thus, in my last 3 companies the recruiting team has paid only cursory attention to inbound applications in favor of trawling LinkedIn and doing outreach. As an engineer, if you aren't on LinkedIn you're going to be invisible to a substantial fraction of companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

The junk collector posted:

I'm an EE so it's a little different than a software developer but I gave up on linked in because I was receiving multiple contacts a day and all of them were worse than worthless. Half of them were insultingly low pay offers and the other half were Chinese companies trying to steal information. It was all very blatant and stupid but my current job has recently decided they want their engineers to have linked profiles to boost company visibility so I guess I'll be diving back into it.

You can do a quick filter by who the recruiter works for. If it's the hiring company, worth at least looking at. If it's a small recruiting shop (like, this is the first time you've ever heard from them) they're probably also worth looking at. If it's a big shop (e.g. Cybercoders) just throw it in the trash.