Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

tbp posted:

linkedin becomes more and more bizarre to me as time goes on. i'll still log in and browse it every few months or so but i dont understand why so many people i know are posting articles that are clearly bogus, uninspired and cookie cutter with absolutely garbage levels of engagement on there completely nonstop. who is requesting these, who is supposed to be reading them, who has designed an entire industry around content creation that nobody wants nor actually reads or bothers with

If you're a hiring manager and you have a hundred applicants in front of you, and exactly one of those applicants has a linkedin profile with a "professional-looking" picture and some articles directly related to their area of presumed expertise, that one person is going to stand out in your mind. If those articles are at least passably readable, I'd guess most buisness people would put that candidate on their personal short list for hiring.

It's about scoring those mental points with people who make hiring decisions, because those people often drink the kool-aid and aren't jaded cynics like we are. Because if you write articles, you're "passionate" (ugh).

That's my read on the situation anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sundae posted:

Recruiters do trawl the place, depending on your field. But, they don't look for you in the social part of the site; they're just using their recruiter tools hunting for people whose profiles / resumes match terms they're looking for. Pretty much anything other than turning your profile page into a fancypants resume and connecting with other people you already know so that you can keep in touch professionally is a waste of time.

Yeah what I've heard is that updating your linkedin profile triggers alerts or shuffles you up the list of people recruiters see.

The only mileage I've ever gotten out of linkedin is that someone who worked at the company I was at before I did contacted me through to refer me to my current job. He probably could have found me in other ways but if this made it easier for him it was worth all the other bullshit. Aside from that it's been the deepest of the bottom feeder recruiters pushing job postings at me, the same way they do when you post your resume on indeed or one of the other aggregators. Easy enough to ignore the nonsense, and having tenuous connections is still better than none at all.

Standard disclaimers apply, anecdote != data. If you seriously engage with the platform it may actually do a lot for you; clearly some people believe that's the case.