Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Quackles posted:

• Is LinkedIn going to be useful in getting me a job?
• If I do make a LinkedIn account, how do I use it once I have it?
• How do I reconcile privacy with having a social network account in my real name?

I found my last two jobs directly or indirectly through linkedin. In one case I found out about a company I never would have heard of otherwise because a former classmate was working there. My current job I got after a recruiter reached out to me on linkedin.

It took about a year before having the account was useful. I just copied my resume into my profile and started adding coworkers and former classmates. I think in general it becomes more useful over a longer period of time, as your network spreads out and changes jobs. As other posters have covered, there has never been a good or insightful post made on linkedin, that part of the site is worse than useless.

Privacy was a big reason I put off making an account for so long. There's no getting around that there's a social media account linking my real name, resume, and photo, but in my case the benefits have greatly exceeded the downsides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU