Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Theres a LinkedIn thread here somewhere, though it may have gotten archived.

If you want to increase your chance of success of finding a CS job:
Yes it is absolutely worth it. I got my first job out of college (8ish years ago) via a recruiter reaching out on LinkedIn and have also ran job reqs for engineers on LinkedIn. I spent a shitload of time tailoring my resume, LinkedIn and public Facebook posts to present a certain image and it paid off with a prestigious, high-paying job.

You should have a GitHub with project examples of code you wrote. Put readmes, make the code commented, etc.

You should decide what "privacy" is worth to you and what it means to you. Is it worth increasing the the money you'd make by possibly getting a job sooner?

I suggest hitting up the resume thread and posting a resume. I'm assuming you graduated in May. This sort of question and that you're a MS in CS who didnt get an offer before graduation implies you don't have a great mental framework for job hunting. Luckily there's multiple people in the reume/interviewing thread who hire CS grads and offer advice.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Quackles posted:

Oof. So if you don't already have connections, then signing up on LinkedIn just means you'll have a LI acct with no particular relevance, as opposed to expecting that recruiters actively trawl the place to find people.

And this stuff about 'articles' sounds awfully dubious. I have a distinctly dim view of the concept of 'showing gumption' or similar...

One of the things i did to make LinkedIn successful was add multiple recruiters at basically every company. I have something like 1100 LinkedIn connections and give exactly 0 fucks about LinkedIn other than for job hunting. You can add randoms, especially recruiters. Back in the day, and maybe still today, you’d rank much higher if you were a 2nd connection of someone and I’m probably a 2nd connection to a healthy % of hiring managers in my home state and the Bay Area.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how do you get a masters and have no connections what on earth

It’s very easy in engineering. Especially if school is about the learning/challenge instead of a task on the critical path to six figgies and a decent job.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Quackles posted:

Can I get away without a photo, do you think? Or with some sort of abstract image.

Do a quality business photo, I.e. you in a suit with a plain background, or do no photo.

If you’re super going looking just do no photo. Bias is real, even if it shouldn’t be in the hiring process by appearance. Don’t do an abstract image.

Having photos of my projects and me presenting at a conference I believed helped mine.

Remember that to get a job with one opening you need to be the best candidate they interviewed. For a junior dev req I have on indeed right now for 2 weeks I’ve had ~100 applicants, have done ~15 phone interviews, ~8 take home projects and will do final interviews with maybe 5 or 6.

I say this to make this point: you need to think about anything that gets you a leg up to get phone interviewed so that you can start selling. To get that opportunity and have a BATNA come offer time your qualifications, resume, LinkedIn, github, etc. should all be in the top 10%

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 11, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i mean you gotta work with SOMEONE at some point right?

You really don’t unless one of the people you did research with happens to end up with a decent job and you stay in touch.