Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm a recent Masters in CompSci graduate, and I'm looking for a job. This would have probably been easier if COVID hadn't hit right as I graduated.

Anyway, just yesterday, two friends recommended I should sign up for LinkedIn. I have some questions and/or concerns, though:

• Is LinkedIn going to be useful in getting me a job?
• If I do make a LinkedIn account, how do I use it once I have it?
• How do I reconcile privacy with having a social network account in my real name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CarForumPoster posted:

I suggest hitting up the resume thread and posting a resume. I'm assuming you graduated in May. This sort of question and that you're a MS in CS who didnt get an offer before graduation implies you don't have a great mental framework for job hunting. Luckily there's multiple people in the reume/interviewing thread who hire CS grads and offer advice.

It's more that I was busy finishing my thesis until the final day, which took all my time.

And I'm in Canada, which complicates matters slightly.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sundae posted:

I think the mistake is using it for anything other than having an updated professional profile / resume, and checking jobs relevant to your work / talking to people you already know through work connections. The broad social aspect of it is hot garbage.

Che Delilas posted:

If you're a hiring manager and you have a hundred applicants in front of you, and exactly one of those applicants has a linkedin profile with a "professional-looking" picture and some articles directly related to their area of presumed expertise, that one person is going to stand out in your mind. If those articles are at least passably readable, I'd guess most buisness people would put that candidate on their personal short list for hiring.

It's about scoring those mental points with people who make hiring decisions, because those people often drink the kool-aid and aren't jaded cynics like we are. Because if you write articles, you're "passionate" (ugh).

That's my read on the situation anyway.

Oof. So if you don't already have connections, then signing up on LinkedIn just means you'll have a LI acct with no particular relevance, as opposed to expecting that recruiters actively trawl the place to find people.

And this stuff about 'articles' sounds awfully dubious. I have a distinctly dim view of the concept of 'showing gumption' or similar...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how do you get a masters and have no connections what on earth

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, so I'll try a few different answers.

• If you're saying "why didn't I have a LinkedIn account before now": I like my privacy. I also don't hold Google, Facebook or Twitter accounts under my own name for this reason.

• If you're saying "why don't I have industry connections": The thesis was a theory-and-implementation thesis of a previously unimplemented algorithm. It isn't really associated with anyone in industry.

Also, I'm in Canada and not in Vancouver or Toronto, so there's tech stuff, but less of it.

• If you're saying "why don't I have academic connections": I do have a few. I probably could have made more. I found out that grad students tend to meet up and talk about their projects through a chance remark AFTER my Masters was over. Comparatively, I spent most of my time in my bedroom (not on campus), implementing and testing my algorithm on my computer.

Bonus:
• I was actually planning on attending the Career Fair the university would normally host about now. Then, COVID.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 10, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Asleep Style posted:

Privacy was a big reason I put off making an account for so long. There's no getting around that there's a social media account linking my real name, resume, and photo, but in my case the benefits have greatly exceeded the downsides

Can I get away without a photo, do you think? Or with some sort of abstract image.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Is the 'skill endorsements' thing worth it?

(I tried out the CSS one for my own amusement. Whoever writes those quizzes goes into some fairly esoteric knowledge at times...)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i mean you gotta work with SOMEONE at some point right?

Aside from my supervisors, my project was a solo project. All the work, all the credit :)

Quackles fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jecht posted:

Make the LinkedIn account. Unless you have a strong professional network that you intentionally cultivated in college, by networking with professors and other students who had gone on to work for companies you want to work for, it is absolutely essential.

So far, I've been finding that, here in Canada, the thing that's been of most help to me is a local tech job board. LinkedIn turns up a lot of hits, but they're pretty corporate and I honestly think I'd prefer to work for a smaller, more local company if at all possible. (And, I don't want to move to Vancouver/etc.)

The Canadian border at least acts as an insulator, so there aren't that many skilled US techies up here diluting the labor pool. I'm still not sure about the exact details of the market here, though.

Also, I was a loner in college, as described above.